Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I would show that to a vet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I was hoping to not hear that.

I guess I'll book her. It doesn't seem to bother her, so at least there's no rush.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

wild beast

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm babysitting this little gremlin while his foster is at a wedding. He's an Amish puppy mill rescue that was bailed out since he was too sick for them to sell. He's almost 10 weeks old but the size of a 5-6 week old, that doesn't stop him from being a typical bitey little cattle dog pup though!

His name is Maverick!

He's almost done with treatment for puppy strangles (autoimmune cellulitis) and then he needs to be checked out by a cardiologist before he's up for adoption. He's going to get snapped up so quickly!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's a good looking little dude

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

very cute little dumpling :h: his poor family :( he's so lucky to be out of there and in the hands of good people

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Look at this rear end in a top hat lmao

e: have discovered that Gabriel likes apples

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 17, 2023

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
That dog is the ideal presentation of the subject matter

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 17, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

honestly can not believe he sat in a rescue for a YEAR wtf

listed on Petfinder the whole time!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 17, 2023

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Seeing him become increasingly comfortable and come out of his shell through your posts gives me many emotions :3:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Enfys posted:

Seeing him become increasingly comfortable and come out of his shell through your posts gives me many emotions :3:

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is Coffee (named by our toddler). She's a mini poodle who keeps getting mixed up with other breeds because she has apricot coloring. She is 8 months now and learned to swim with a friend today! I've been slowly introducing her to the other dog on the property with the owner's help. He's an old boy and they had a rough first meeting since she is very playful / annoying. She has been learning to be more respectful and he warmed up, so now they go everywhere together.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Those photos are gorgeous

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not so gorgeous - a wet poodle with a bunch of super-stickers tangled up in her fur. Those have been a blast to get out...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I love poodles for so many aspects but yeah maintaining their coat is such a massive pain in the rear end
and yeah those photos are :kiss:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Again, those photos are amazing!

Freja has really started to settle in here and has a nice little routine going, she hasn't been poorly since we took her to the vets either thankfully.

She's exhausted at the end of most days now she's fully vaccinated and can go out for the toilet/short walks. She's settled into her new routine really well, she still fights her nap times though, even when she's absolutely exhausted.

I try to take her out for at least an hour a day over 2 walks minimum. The vet said not to worry too much about that "5 min per month" rule as there is no actual scientific basis for it, which surprised me considering how prevelent it is online... She just said we know her best, keep an eye on her and don't overdo it. Which is very nice in theory but we also live on the edge of Queen Elizabeth Park in London (where the Olympics was) and every time we pop over for a walk it's impossible to say how long it's going to take as she stops for as many people as she can for belly rubs.. :shobon:. She was trying to hop on some guys skateboard yesterday too actually.

We just keep it to low energy walks and let her have as many breaks as she wants for rest/water and she looks too tired later on or the following day we just take it easy and walk around the apartment complex we live in.

These are from her first walk the other day..

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think I might have the only dog in the universe that doesn’t like cheese or cheese flavored treats

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think I might have the only dog in the universe that doesn’t like cheese or cheese flavored treats

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is any of this normal or is my dog broken?!
Is there still any doubt?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I give my dog (and pretty much every other dog we meet on our morning walks) this freeze-dried beef liver as a treat. I cut the chunks into smaller pieces with a knife, since they can be tricky to break down with just my fingers.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

it is the most triumphant feeling in the world when iris gets a walk so satisfying she falls asleep the moment we get home. it doesn't happen often, she exists on a plane of fitness alien to my goon physique

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any recommendations on an extendable leash? For an 85lb black lab? We only have a 6-footer and took him to the lake today and would have liked to let him swim around a bit more. Didn’t want to let him off leash since there were other people and dogs around.

He’s a beefy dude and can pull hard when he gets missile lock on another dog and wants to say hi. I can just imagine some of these ones I see on Amazon just straight up snapping.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lakeside pupdate - this absolute unit has been climbing a vertical people ladder to get out of the water for years. He'd jump in after a ball, swim around for a bit and just pull himself up several rungs. I couldn't believe it even watching...and he's old now!

I've been using dial-a-distance with my very excitable jumping poodle and I was really happy with it - went up to 15 feet. Of course literally today the leash snapped while she was pulling. I'm not sure if she chewed it and I missed it or if it was just too much force. Either way, product states only rated up to a 70 lbs. dog.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any recommendations on an extendable leash? For an 85lb black lab? We only have a 6-footer and took him to the lake today and would have liked to let him swim around a bit more. Didn’t want to let him off leash since there were other people and dogs around.

He’s a beefy dude and can pull hard when he gets missile lock on another dog and wants to say hi. I can just imagine some of these ones I see on Amazon just straight up snapping.

For long leash I use what google tells me is a "tie out cable" for dogs. 20-30ft, weighted... well, there's no way in hell Apollo can break that kind of wire, and you can just clip it on collar and leash.

Mind you, you have to be EXTRA responsible while using it because that's a lot of room for a dog to get up to speed and drag you along - let alone the wire hitting other people / dogs / etc. I only use it when there's next to no one out and I have a lot of room (so usually in the forest behind my parent's place in rural NY). That all said - it saved my sanity walking my half-husky terror in the snow in a property with no fences. He has zero recall and being able to walk him on this huge leash really let him roam and explore and play in the snow without having to worry about him running off.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

For swimming, especially in places with sand, you really don't want an extendable/retractable leash. Sand and water getting in to the mechanism will destroy it super quickly. Even worse if it were saltwater.

I'd recommend just a long tough leash/rope.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

St_Ides posted:

For swimming, especially in places with sand, you really don't want an extendable/retractable leash. Sand and water getting in to the mechanism will destroy it super quickly. Even worse if it were saltwater.

I'd recommend just a long tough leash/rope.

That’s actually a really good point. I was only looking to give him more slack when he was in the water, but the sand and crap makes sense when on shore.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Retractable leashes loving suck if you need to try and get control of your dog quickly, especially if it’s a big dog.

That skinny little cord will just rip and friction burn you to shreds if you need to haul it in with a struggling dog on the other end, whereas a decently thick leash can be gripped and wrapped up around your hand and wrist in easy motions to shorten it up much much faster without loving your hands up.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

a strange fowl posted:

it is the most triumphant feeling in the world when iris gets a walk so satisfying she falls asleep the moment we get home. it doesn't happen often, she exists on a plane of fitness alien to my goon physique

I actually envy you. Freja fights me on every walk the last 3 days, even little 10 min jaunts around the apartment complex and she's lagging behind me trying to turn around and go back upstairs. I get she's only 3 months old, but she was so excited for short walks a week ago and she's over it entirely already.

She also doesn't like peanut butter the freak. That's actually worse than my wife who only likes smooth peanut butter.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I used this long line for my dog before she had a solid recall at the beach. Easy to hose off, no lake stink, has held up well to getting stuck under rocks and things. I always recommend attaching long lines to a harness because hitting the end of it on the collar can gently caress up their necks.

Featured here with the baby swine

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Amazing dog tag :allears:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I actually envy you. Freja fights me on every walk the last 3 days, even little 10 min jaunts around the apartment complex and she's lagging behind me trying to turn around and go back upstairs. I get she's only 3 months old, but she was so excited for short walks a week ago and she's over it entirely already.

She also doesn't like peanut butter the freak. That's actually worse than my wife who only likes smooth peanut butter.

Cream cheese is a good alternative!

Very cool milestone for Gabriel last night: one of my co-residents came home from being out of town for about 6 days, and Gabriel had only interacted with her maybe 5 times before that - not only did he give her a friendly greeting (she had treats, no surprise) he rolled over and invited her to rub his tummy too :kimchi:

He's also getting the zoomies like a big dorky puppy lol

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I used this long line for my dog before she had a solid recall at the beach. Easy to hose off, no lake stink, has held up well to getting stuck under rocks and things. I always recommend attaching long lines to a harness because hitting the end of it on the collar can gently caress up their necks.

Hmm, yeah, I might go with something like this instead of a retractable. Thanks!

I absolutely love the verbiage in the description. It reads as if a middle-schooler wrote it.

quote:

WATERPROOF DESIGN: The dog leash can drag through the water and sand without getting wet and sand doesn’t really stick to it. Easy to Clean, it doesn't get all wet and stinky. The material is pretty disinclined to knot, even when swirling around other dogs feet.

e: bonus pictures of my beefy boy

https://imgur.com/a/MSFKlSS

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 20, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pickwick, my 10 month Golden Retriever, is apparently causing some problems at daycare because of his intact status. Some of the fixed males don't like him, and he himself has been aggressive with some other dogs/humping and has had to go to time out a few times. The daycare people are great and not at all pushing me to get him fixed, just trying to manage the issues, but three separate people there have now very politely asked 'are you gonna get him fixed and if so when, xyz has been happening etc?' He was also a totally loving mess at obedience class last night, but that probably has more to do with 'OMG PETSMART/THE TEACHER I LOVE THIS PLACE I LOVE HER WE HAVEN'T BEEN HERE IN 6 MONTHS HEY LOOK AT THESE OTHER DOGS IN THE CLASS I WONDER IF THE TEACHER LADY HAS MORE TREATS SORRY DAD IM GONNA LAY ON THE FLOOR AND LOOK AT EVERYTHING BUT YOU' In previous conversations with my vet, she's recommended waiting until a year. I've looked at some of the studies that support this and especially for goldens and there are definite health benefits to waiting until a year as far as cancer and joint problems risk.

Anyone else have thoughts/opinions on this? How much of a behavior difference does neutering really make (both in my dog and the way other dogs interact with him)? How long is the recovery process? I've signed up for an obedience class for the next 5 weeks-would he be missing one class or two if I went ahead and had him neutered?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Whatever the vet says goes, imo. I'm doing the same for my girl - poodles have their first heat usually at 8-10 months and you are supposed to wait for the first cycle to pass so their growth plates can properly close. I personally would not have them under any real activity for a few weeks after. Just worrying about it would be a real pain and I wouldn't want to associate pain with anything I'm teaching.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Asking for a bit of advice here until I can talk to our trainer/behaviorist.

Kepler's doing pretty well with his anxiety, except for one thing. When he hears any sort of mail/delivery truck followed by someone coming to the front door (even if they don't knock or ring the bell), he goes a little bananas. He'll growl and bark and jump at the door. He's fine when friends come over, even if they're people he's never met. There's something about deliveries that set him off.

Over time, we've taught him that the protocol is for him to go to his crate after he's gotten the barking out of his system. If we try to "force" him to go (not physically, but by telling him to) before he's done barking, he sometimes starts growling at US instead. I don't think he'd bite us, but this is way out of line with his normal behavior.

It was so bad when the UPS truck came by earlier today that I opened the back door and ejected him into the backyard for a while, because he refused to go to his crate and was growling at me (teeth bared, borderline snappy). He was very sheepish when he came back in, like he knew he was in trouble. I petted him and got him to do some tricks for treats, and then it was like nothing had happened.

I've had a lot of dogs in my life, but I feel like I'll never quite understand this one.

Any ideas on dealing with this reaction to deliveries? Or at least not to assume an aggressive posture with us when we're trying to get him to calm down? I'm giving him plenty of space when I tell him to go to his crate, something he'll do under normal circumstances.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This can be dog specific but I'd try treats.

Make him sit and just keep feeding him treats if he's quiet but make him focus on you not the truck. If even high value treats won't take his focus you could try putting him in a dark bathroom. That worked for ours when she didn't respond to anything else. It took a few times but she eventually learned that when we said stop she would.

Id try the high value treats first and see how that goes. I'd probably get something super high value that you may not normally use to train with as well.

Treat to nose, Sit, Watch me, treat.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pickwick, my 10 month Golden Retriever, is apparently causing some problems at daycare because of his intact status. Some of the fixed males don't like him, and he himself has been aggressive with some other dogs/humping and has had to go to time out a few times. The daycare people are great and not at all pushing me to get him fixed, just trying to manage the issues, but three separate people there have now very politely asked 'are you gonna get him fixed and if so when, xyz has been happening etc?' He was also a totally loving mess at obedience class last night, but that probably has more to do with 'OMG PETSMART/THE TEACHER I LOVE THIS PLACE I LOVE HER WE HAVEN'T BEEN HERE IN 6 MONTHS HEY LOOK AT THESE OTHER DOGS IN THE CLASS I WONDER IF THE TEACHER LADY HAS MORE TREATS SORRY DAD IM GONNA LAY ON THE FLOOR AND LOOK AT EVERYTHING BUT YOU' In previous conversations with my vet, she's recommended waiting until a year. I've looked at some of the studies that support this and especially for goldens and there are definite health benefits to waiting until a year as far as cancer and joint problems risk.

Anyone else have thoughts/opinions on this? How much of a behavior difference does neutering really make (both in my dog and the way other dogs interact with him)? How long is the recovery process? I've signed up for an obedience class for the next 5 weeks-would he be missing one class or two if I went ahead and had him neutered?

With the rate goldens get cancer I'd really be waiting as long as possible, at least until he's a year old. Neutered males absolutely treat intact males worse and will often target them in social settings. Personally I wouldn't keep an intact dog in a daycare setting because if something happens they will always blame the one with balls and it only takes one bad experience to end up with a dog reactive dog.

Your dog is a teen, he's acting like a teen. Having balls or not is not going to change that, you just need to work through it. It sucks and they're terrors but everyone goes through it. A lot of folks act like neutering will fix any problem but it really only changes sexual based behaviors like marking indoors, trying to impress girls, and fighting with other boys. He'll still be a wild and crazy teen making bad choices and not paying attention in class.

That being said most neuters heal super quick and by a week out he should be fine to do something like a class on leash. Some older dogs get crazy scrotal swelling but it doesn't happen often in young dogs.

WhiteHowler posted:

Any ideas on dealing with this reaction to deliveries? Or at least not to assume an aggressive posture with us when we're trying to get him to calm down? I'm giving him plenty of space when I tell him to go to his crate, something he'll do under normal circumstances.

If he's freaked out that much I wouldn't try to do a lot of training, I'd just work on counter conditioning. As soon as a delivery pulls up just start raining treats from the sky. If he's growling and snapping I'd just scatter them on the ground and not try to hand feed them. Does he go off if someone you know pulls up and pretends to deliver a package? You might need to practice at the very first moment of the situation that sets him off. If that's a person pulling up then you scattering treats until he starts barking then leaving then that might be where you need to start. He just needs to learn that people coming up is fine and barking/going nuts at the door isn't what gets them to leave.

Also if asking him to go to his crate is making him snarl at you right now I wouldn't push it. Can you just casually toss something fantastic in his crate? Does he have a cue that means he's going to get cookies? With my old dog whenever someone was at the door I'd yell COOKIES COOKIE TIME and we'd run to my back room together where I'd toss him some milkbones and shut him in while I dealt with whatever. No pressure, just door means it's cookie party time in my back room.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

With the rate goldens get cancer I'd really be waiting as long as possible, at least until he's a year old. Neutered males absolutely treat intact males worse and will often target them in social settings. Personally I wouldn't keep an intact dog in a daycare setting because if something happens they will always blame the one with balls and it only takes one bad experience to end up with a dog reactive dog.

Your dog is a teen, he's acting like a teen. Having balls or not is not going to change that, you just need to work through it. It sucks and they're terrors but everyone goes through it. A lot of folks act like neutering will fix any problem but it really only changes sexual based behaviors like marking indoors, trying to impress girls, and fighting with other boys. He'll still be a wild and crazy teen making bad choices and not paying attention in class.

That being said most neuters heal super quick and by a week out he should be fine to do something like a class on leash. Some older dogs get crazy scrotal swelling but it doesn't happen often in young dogs.

Thanks this is super helpful. He’s been a daycare boy all his life except puppyhood and weekends-when I’m mostly home-so he hasn’t been left alone for more than probably 4-6 hours before. Any ideas for easing him into being more of an at-home dog? I do usually come home for lunch so hopefully that helps.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Signs your puppy is teething: double fisting (pawing?) chew toys

I'm doomed, my family is doomed, my home is doomed, she's pulled over a third toy as I write this and is trying her best to chew all three at once.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Flesh Forge posted:

He's also getting the zoomies like a big dorky puppy lol

that is such a happy dog :unsmith:

lol little piglet

i got informed that the reds are vicious again today

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

If he's freaked out that much I wouldn't try to do a lot of training, I'd just work on counter conditioning. As soon as a delivery pulls up just start raining treats from the sky. If he's growling and snapping I'd just scatter them on the ground and not try to hand feed them. Does he go off if someone you know pulls up and pretends to deliver a package? You might need to practice at the very first moment of the situation that sets him off. If that's a person pulling up then you scattering treats until he starts barking then leaving then that might be where you need to start. He just needs to learn that people coming up is fine and barking/going nuts at the door isn't what gets them to leave.
He's fine with people he knows coming to the door. He barks but then he can smell them through the door and knows they're friendly. He can also recognize the sound of the FedEx/UPS/Mail trucks and knows BAD PERSON COMING. He'll run to the door as soon as he hears one, even if it's delivering across the street. Once he hears/smells a person at the door, he goes crazy.

quote:

Also if asking him to go to his crate is making him snarl at you right now I wouldn't push it. Can you just casually toss something fantastic in his crate? Does he have a cue that means he's going to get cookies? With my old dog whenever someone was at the door I'd yell COOKIES COOKIE TIME and we'd run to my back room together where I'd toss him some milkbones and shut him in while I dealt with whatever. No pressure, just door means it's cookie party time in my back room.
Kepler is treat-motivated, but when gets fixated, there's nothing that will distract him. When we were first learning to walk on a leash, he'd ignore fresh chicken held in front of his nose if he saw another person or dog he wanted to meet.

I may need to try it when there's a truck delivering across the street, since he's at least somewhat present until someone comes to the door. Hear truck = go to crate = get hot dog.

I hate that he's struggling so much with this one thing, because he's mostly a great dog otherwise. Still kind of sucks at walking on a leash when he sees another dog, and his outdoor recall isn't good, but those are things I know how to work on. This delivery thing is a whole different problem.