Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Blow posted:

A 1000m depth. If a submersible is cracked, the water fills the airspace in about 100ms, and creates a compression ratio of 100:1 (a diesel engine is about 13:1) which ignites anything inside at 20,000°C.

At 3800m it's a 380:1 compression ratio.

:science:

What's gonna get you first, the crushing injuries or being vaporised by the heat from compression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Imagine being a billionaire and cheaping out on your submarine expedition. You could go in the nice one James Cameron went down on but no you got to get into the fart tube to save the equivalent of the money you make while taking a shower in the morning.

But you see that wouldn't be "innovating" or pushing boundaries and how do you expect that to stroke the ego of billionaires?!?

E:really hope we find out what the profit margin was on these trips

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Imagine being a billionaire and cheaping out on your submarine expedition. You could go in the nice one James Cameron went down on but no you got to get into the fart tube to save the equivalent of the money you make while taking a shower in the morning.

Was just about to post the same thing. You managed to amass over a billion dollars and you're willing to bet it all on some shitbox someone threw together in their backyard. WTF.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

SwissDonkey posted:

What's gonna get you first, the crushing injuries or being vaporised by the heat from compression?

I suppose the water puts the out the carbonised humans in 200ms?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Ralph Crammed In posted:

The thing to remember is there's no such thing as a sane and healthy billionaire.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Regrettable posted:

Was just about to post the same thing. You managed to amass over a billion dollars and you're willing to bet it all on some shitbox someone threw together in their backyard. WTF.

When I first read about this I thought "oh drat, one of those submersibles went down? Those are so technically advanced! Something very unfortunate must have happened." I was thinking of the ALVIN or ALVIN 2, which if you are of a certain age you may have seen the IMAX documentary featuring it and its trip to the Titanic. And then I saw it was that jury-rigged fiberglass tube. You couldn't get me on that to explore the bottom of Lake Coeur d'alene, much less 4 kilometers down.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
What's the bathroom facilities like on that vessel?

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

If I was a billionaire I'd pay a guy a million a year to tell me not to get into any vehicle controlled by an off brand 2005 controller

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Donnerberg posted:

a piss bottle

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Donnerberg posted:

It's time to dipper up!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

After all this, do you think the company will go under?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Fentry posted:

If I was a billionaire I'd pay a guy a million a year to tell me not to get into any vehicle controlled by an off brand 2005 controller

Will smack your head every time you have a suicidally bad idea for food.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Seriously where do you go to pee and poop in that thing?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

razamataza posted:

https://twitter.com/FnpMarieOH/status/1670931677013524487?s=20

41 seconds in

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

razamataza posted:

there's a toilet that's basically a rim/seat over a ziplock bag

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

He has been credibly accused of both domestic violence and serious ethical lapses in his tech coverage, it is kind of wild how he is treated like a serious person by default.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ralph Crammed In posted:

When I first read about this I thought "oh drat, one of those submersibles went down? Those are so technically advanced! Something very unfortunate must have happened." I was thinking of the ALVIN or ALVIN 2, which if you are of a certain age you may have seen the IMAX documentary featuring it and its trip to the Titanic. And then I saw it was that jury-rigged fiberglass tube. You couldn't get me on that to explore the bottom of Lake Coeur d'alene, much less 4 kilometers down.

Oh yeah, I used to think ALVIN was the coolest thing ever when I was a kid because I was a huge nerd. I actually met a couple of people who had worked with it about 10 years back through the sons of my mom's boyfriend at the time. Sadly, I don't really remember anything about the interaction.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I can't wait to when some scrub manages to send a rocket out and back to earth a couple of times and next a billionaire gets lost in space.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I doubt they imploded though. Some French guy said the implosion can be picked up on sonar and happens in 20 milliseconds at that depth.

With that stupid frame thing around it and all the bits to catch on. I think they might be entangled on the Titanic or the wreckage in the trench around it due to the strong currents. Therefore the seven (7) separate systems to get positively buoyant do gently caress all.

Maybe an electrical/hardware/software failure or fire?

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Needs a glass of wine and some crackers and cheese.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Croccers posted:

So if the CEO survives, [...]

Yeah...

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Look at all that poo poo on it designed to get entangled.

Blow fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 20, 2023

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I heard the sub used the wrong kind of RAM

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Is there a way to just list out all the possible points of failure here?

• The only way to navigate is getting STARLINK text messages from above.
• No emergency beacon.
• Controlled by a logitech gamepad.
• Requires external team to get it into position to even be openable.

People earlier have mention use of Xbox controllers by military, but those are to control cameras and periscopes, not entire vehicles.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't recharge the controller

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I was going to make a joke about this being the world's most expensive coffin, but having seen some pictures of what it looks like inside I doubt that is true.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClkytJa0ghc&t=38s

Wee fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 20, 2023

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Blow posted:

Look at all that poo poo on it designed to get entangled.

oof hadnt considered this

like they pulled the ballast lever and instead of going to the surface they smacked into some overhanging part of the wreck or got tangled up somehow

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
They should have had an identical sub on standby ready to follow the first in case of any issues. That way they can alert the people up top if things go wrong.

There should be someone on the surface in constant communication writing everything down with access to a bell they could chime so everyone can recognise there's something amiss right away.

Simply: A-like, sub scribe, and ring the bell for notifications

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
a joke sub thats just for farts

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

ELTON JOHN posted:

oof hadnt considered this

like they pulled the ballast lever and instead of going to the surface they smacked into some overhanging part of the wreck or got tangled up somehow

Well that couldn't have happened because the ballast lever in this case is the people inside jiggling around to dislodge metal tubes strapped to the roof.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Three Olives posted:

I just zoomed in, that is circa 2000 desktop pc speaker system with subwoofer up front, isn’t it?

Yup.

Behold, the Altec Lansing ACS33 PowerCube 2.1 speaker system. $35 used on eBay.

That’s somehow more infuriating than the controller… and yes, it is loving weird to drive it with that controller because in every single video or photo I’ve seen, someone is waving it around (which makes the CBS anchor facepalm immediately). It’s loving wireless/USB, and not once will you see it actually wired.

This poo poo is insane.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I mean, forget that this stuff isn’t milspec or rated at all, every piece of technology within the sub looks like it came out of my basement bedroom in 1999. If by some miracle they did surface and the air S&R resources manage to save these people, the CEO needs to be sent directly to Supermax without trial jesus loving christ.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Songbearer posted:

They should have had an identical sub on standby ready to follow the first in case of any issues. That way they can alert the people up top if things go wrong.

Is there much a second sub could do. Other than maybe eyeballing it, there doesn't seem much it's actually would be capable of, and with how much they seem to get lost even that seems like a purely by chance thing.

Honestly it just sounds like a way of losing two subs instead of one.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Could you imagine trusting Logitech with your LIFE? Imagine saying yes to a Bluetooth pacemaker by Mad Katz.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Noise Complaint posted:

walking past dozens of red flags to get bolted into groversub trusting it will hold up to 6000 psi of water

Lmao

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Wait a goddamn second. I thought the toilet was on the opposite side of the only window, but apparently it’s directly below the only viewport on the sub. There also seems to be a wireless curvy keyboard, again, from my bedroom in 1999. I can’t stand this.

Edit: He throws the loving controller on the ground to show that it’s durable. Forget that could have possibly damaged the navigation controls, but in any sane engineering scenario him doing that would have taken the sub out for maintenance for 3 months or something. I’m mad that I’m so mad.

hellotoothpaste fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 20, 2023

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Neeksy posted:

Could you imagine trusting Logitech with your LIFE? Imagine saying yes to a Bluetooth pacemaker by Mad Katz.

Headline: Rich people submarine lost to interference between keyboard/gamepad non-Bluetooth Logitech Universal wireless dongles and Windows Vista support end-of-life.

How much do I want to bet that Starlink wasn’t used for critical comms, it was to stream your fav Spotify playlists via the 2.1 speakers.

hellotoothpaste fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 20, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So a guy who has enough money to personally fund an entire rocketship program appears to have bought all of his equipment from a goodwill?

Anyway, whats his will say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

hellotoothpaste posted:

That’s somehow more infuriating than the controller… and yes, it is loving weird to drive it with that controller because in every single video or photo I’ve seen, someone is waving it around (which makes the CBS anchor facepalm immediately). It’s loving wireless/USB, and not once will you see it actually wired.

Which, can we speak about this?

You are adding more leverage to an already lovely control point, why? The detection is already poo poo for the given degree of motion and you are adding more?