Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I absolutely ADORE Paradise Towers, so Mel will never be a lesser companion in my eyes. And I could barely finish Terror of the Vervoids! I’m still not sure whether I have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I remember when I was first seriously getting into the Big Finish stuff, being pleased at how they were allowing Colin Baker's Sixth Doctor to sort of "redeem" himself after he'd gotten hosed over during his TV run...and then seeing The Fires of Vulcan having Seven with Mel in it. While I detested the character of Mel, the completionist in me ultimately made me buy it anyways. So I gave it a listen, and for my first BF audio with Mel in it, I was blown away completely. Bonnie Langford could actually act! And she wasn't shrieking all over the place (in fact, she didn't scream a single time in the story, if memory serves)! So ever since then, I've been glad to see that BF allowed her to redeem the character of Mel the way they did with C. Baker and Six. :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

E: Wrong thread

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

The_Doctor posted:

I met Bonnie Langford once, she is TINY.

*me thinking, oh, how tall is she*...

of course there's a webpage dedicated to Dr Who companions and their heights. Random dude, why do you have to be in every photo. Which one of you is this? :stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SecretOfSteel posted:

*me thinking, oh, how tall is she*...

of course there's a webpage dedicated to Dr Who companions and their heights. Random dude, why do you have to be in every photo. Which one of you is this? :stare:

What are you talking about, there's only one person in each of those photos

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

...Why do the Doctors get measurements in both imperial and metric, but the companions only get imperial?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Does Mastodon embed? Let’s see…

https://mstdn.social/@ianzpotter/110516607193681641

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

David Tennant's Fourteenth Doctor is the third oldest Doctor, after Capaldi and Hartnell.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

When Capaldi's Doctor was strutting the electric guitar, I didn't realise he did music...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

David Tennant's Fourteenth Doctor is the third oldest Doctor, after Capaldi and Hartnell.

We need a young, exciting, adventurous youthful Doctor in the prime of his life again.... that's right, we need Jon Pertwee!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

SecretOfSteel posted:

When Capaldi's Doctor was strutting the electric guitar, I didn't realise he did music...

He was in a band in the seventies! With Craig Ferguson!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Put Ryan Gosling in Doctor Who

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1668633926385152004

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Couldn't he just ask to be on it? Surely they'd be happy to have some big names volunteer for a part. I guess if it's your job though you have to consider more things than being on a fun show you like.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Couldn't he just ask to be on it? Surely they'd be happy to have some big names volunteer for a part. I guess if it's your job though you have to consider more things than being on a fun show you like.

I would suspect there's also some British immigration and/or work visa requirements that would have to be addressed

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I would suspect there's also some British immigration and/or work visa requirements that would have to be addressed

Countries like the US and UK have explicit exceptions carved out for rich people in immigration laws.

Most have laws for protecting film production too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I think they'd figure out the paperwork lol, I more figured that even if you love Doctor Who, actually committing means you can't do XYZ, and Doctor Who might not be paying what you usually get for the same work/time commitment, maybe you're not sure how you'd suite the show or embody what you like about it, or maybe don't wanna get in there and end up being a character or part of a story folks dislike. Reckon some people always dislike everything but if you like a thing maybe it'll sting if you as a fan would think your part sucked.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Gosling seems like the type of guy who'd love to be in a big monster costume and do a weird voice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He could absolutely do a Daniel Craig in Star Wars

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's very sweet, God I can't wait to see Gatwa's Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That's very sweet, God I can't wait to see Gatwa's Doctor.

Same, I kind of wish we didn’t have the old school fan pleasing return of Tennant to draw people back, and just got straight to Ncuti. I’m also mad the specials mean that his first season is only 8 eps.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I mean, if you trim out all the 'eh' 'meh' and 'urgh' episodes from some Doctors' runs, sometimes they end up with less than 8 good episodes (or do they only look good because of the episodes they contrast against?)

Zygon Inversion's recap of Zygon Invasion almost makes the latter look good, but I wouldn't want anyone to actually suffer through it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yesssss Brooker

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1669374213415661569

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

oh so THAT'S why the new TARDIS prop/set was said to be "more accessible" a year or so back

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

More pertinently: Ncuti's first episode will air over the Christmas period. I thought we were only going to get three specials this year but I guess we're getting spoiled

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

armpit_enjoyer posted:

More pertinently: Ncuti's first episode will air over the Christmas period. I thought we were only going to get three specials this year but I guess we're getting spoiled

Is it his first full standalone episode? Or will he be playing a larger, more active part in the 60th anniversary specials alongside Tennant, and they're just going to count him in that?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

All it says is:

quote:

Doctor Who returns in November 2023 with three special episodes with David Tennant as the Fourteenth Doctor to coincide with the 60th anniversary. Ncuti Gatwa’s first episode as the Fifteenth Doctor will air over the festive period.

I choose to interpret it as three episodes airing around the time of the anniversary and then another one over Christmas

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
They didn't say what year.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Watching one of the blurays with production notes turned on:

Notes: "The design budget came in at £450 or £90 per episode."

Me: "Yep, that sounds like Doctor Who's budget alright."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, except they misspelled "the entire series from 1984 onwards."

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Yeah, 90 quid seems like too much.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I decided to listen to The Legacy of Time, the Big Finish 20th anniversary boxset. Unlike the 50th anniversary special, which told a standard multi-Doctor story, but with some nifty pacing, this is six episodes about different Doctors linked by the theme of time distortion, with a big crossover climax.

Lies in Ruins is something that seems obvious - River Song meeting Bernice Summerfield, and it works! We've got the Eighth Doctor very near the end of his incarnation, on the verge of a complete mental breakdown. It's not like the manic depression from the opening of Dark Eyes, but the some of the lowest we've seen the Eighth Doctor - there's a bit where he just breaks down sobbing. There's also a clever bit of meta self commentary about companions too.

The Split Infinitive is a nicely clever bit of time travel, with the Seventh Doctor and Ace helping Counter Measures foil a rocket men heist in the 1960s and 1970s. I've not heard any of the Countermeasures stuff, so I was going off my memories of rewatching Remembrance of the Daleks last year. The Rocket Men are always good fun - cockney gangsters with jet packs!

The Sacrifice of Jo Grant sees Kate Stewart, Osgood and Jo Grant accidentally sent back to the time of the Third Doctor's exile. It's a great character piece for Jo, with a standout scene of Jo and the Third Doctor just sharing lunch and talking about her life. Katy Manning is always great, but she's on top form here.

Relative Time is a Fifth Doctor and Jenny story, set on a crashing spaceship. It doesn't really dig deeply enough into the emotional impact this pairing could have. The weakest story on the set, but its got the Nine.

The Avenues of Possibility is a Sixth Doctor and Charley story about policing and alternative timelines. Another very solid story with some clever uses of possible futures, and Colin Baker and India Fisher are always excellent together.

Collision Course ties it all up in a Fourth Doctor story that becomes a multi-Doctor story. It does end up becoming a bit 'characters shout technobabble', but every Doctor gets a fun moment or two.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 18, 2023

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Collision Course ties it all up in a Fourth Doctor story that becomes a multi-Doctor story. It does end up becoming a bit 'characters shout technobabble', but every Doctor gets a fun moment or two.

I also loved the cameos from David Bradley's First, Frazier Hines' Second, and David Tennant as Ten. Especially Two in Ten's TARDIS: "Can I have a go with the mallet?"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Finish is giving away a free download of the David Warner Doctor Wo Unbound story "Sympathy for the Devil"

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-unbound-sympathy-for-the-devil-2023-promo-2905

Also starring Nicholas Courtney, "Sam Kisgart", and some young guy named David Tennant.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a great play. Kisgart gives a loving great speech in the back half that takes Doctor Who to task for its white colonialism and general racial parochialism, and carries that idea through to the end of the piece in ways that are really effective and interesting.

The play of course goes and undermines it by casting a white guy as the lead monk, and the Warner stories never touch on that idea again.

BF has a frustrating history with race -- just last month they cast Dan Starkey as a Chinese businessman complete with funky accent -- and the few plays that try to acknowledge Who's overwhelming whiteness are usually undermined by the company's clumsy ignorance when it comes to this issue. e.g. Planet of the Rani's clearly intended to be set on a South Asian colony world, but everyone is played by white people because...?

There's a really interesting Bernice Summerfield play that tries to grapple with Pyramids of Mars and its Chariot of the Gods nonsense, and then there are about five separate plays that say that Japanese culture comes from outer space.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Do they say what the Japanese were like before the aliens? Cause the worst ever example of that trope is probably Star Trek Voyager, which claimed Native Americans had literally no culture at all before the aliens showed up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dabir posted:

Do they say what the Japanese were like before the aliens? Cause the worst ever example of that trope is probably Star Trek Voyager, which claimed Native Americans had literally no culture at all before the aliens showed up.

No, I don't think they do, but it's been a while. If I recall correctly the implication is that Japan (and Cambodia) were both colonised by different castes of the same alien collective, and they're the ones who gave various Asian cultures their cultural heritage.

The Benny play with Egypt is closer to what you'd hope for. Egypt already has a thriving culture, including access to interstellar travel(!?), before the Osirians turned up and usurped the local culture.

There's also a play that said that Indigenous Australian culture, including native flora and fauna, was explicitly brought here by an alien terraforming device. When the planet was under threat (I think it might be same solar flare incident that's part of the backstory for Ark In Space and The Sontaran Experiment, though that might be fanon) the alien terraformjng device reabsorbed all indigenous culture and launched itself back into space.

That terraforming device? Uluru

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Benny play with Egypt is closer to what you'd hope for. Egypt already has a thriving culture, including access to interstellar travel(!?), before the Osirians turned up and usurped the local culture.

They did this in Futurama too :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4a3YhhRVew

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Listened to Master!: Nemesis Express, and this was all kinds of messed up:

The Master revealed that the consciousness of the person whose body he's in (aka Bruce the Paramedic), still inhabits the body. The Master has just suppressed him to the depths of his mind. And he's continually screaming in horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I thought the Second Doctor got the short end of the stick in the Legacy of Time, especially compared to the two other cameos in the last story.

Open Source Idiom posted:

That terraforming device? Uluru

If you're able to understand what on Earth was going on in Dreamtime, you've done better than me.

A Thousand Tiny Wings is a good story about colonialism and race.