Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Three Olives posted:

Which, can we speak about this?

You are adding more leverage to an already lovely control point, why? The detection is already poo poo for the given degree of motion and you are adding more?

You just pissed me off even more, there are two potentially wireless keyboards and that loving controller. My 2023 Logitech wireless mouse goes from 60fps to 5fps when I turn my headphones on, this is just unbelievable. Completely infuriating that it even exists/existed, no sane person would get in there, see all that poo poo, and commit to the “mission”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

It's got gamer mood lighting too.

I guess I never thought about it before, but I am surprised that you can just go into the ocean in any old bucket of bolts your disruptive and innovative mind can conceive of. Apparently there's no one to stop you?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I guess I never thought about it before, but I am surprised that you can just go into the ocean in any old bucket of bolts your disruptive and innovative mind can conceive of. Apparently there's no one to stop you?

Well I'm not passing a law to stop billionaires from murdering themselves.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Costco Thomas Andrews

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Barudak posted:

Well I'm not passing a law to stop billionaires from murdering themselves.

It's not really an issue for your average Joe(sophine), no.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Libertarianism is never asking permission.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Libertarianism is never asking permission.

Kinda crazy no one has made a Bioshock joke yet.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Once you're in international waters you are your own ruler, with laws just a distance memory for those still foolishly clinging to land and the old ways!!!

*(there is actually quite a few laws that still apply for international waters.)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

hellotoothpaste posted:

You just pissed me off even more, there are two potentially wireless keyboards and that loving controller. My 2023 Logitech wireless mouse goes from 60fps to 5fps when I turn my headphones on, this is just unbelievable. Completely infuriating that it even exists/existed, no sane person would get in there, see all that poo poo, and commit to the “mission”.

Our cats have a more modern and appropriate computing setup in our kitchen:

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I would never wish this scenario on anyone in the world, it’s horrifying. I hope for the best. But good lord, if they find this thing on the surface and rescue, it may turn out that the owner was the sole casualty with various blunt force traumas that are keyboard and gamepad shaped.

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

Neeksy posted:

Could you imagine trusting Logitech with your LIFE? Imagine saying yes to a Bluetooth pacemaker by Mad Katz.

I briefly owned that controller. I couldn't trust it with Mario's life, let alone my own, as it kept dropping its connection. Returned it for an 8bitdo SN30 Pro+, much better.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Ralph Crammed In posted:

People like this guy don't actually get to "fail" like normal people because they have the money to burn until they get what they want, or they can just walk away from their mistakes and start again. Add to that no one around them says NO to their stupid ideas and....

Of course if you turn yourself inside out 3000m under the ocean that all ends fast.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Would visibility be dogshit that far down?

If the electrical system died, and nobody has a battery-powered light source like a phone, they're in pitch blackness.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Guessing we’ll have a few new international maritime laws in the very near future.

Dick Jones posted:

If the electrical system died, and nobody has a battery-powered light source like a phone, they're in pitch blackness.

“It’s alright, we all have phone flashlights and there’s a power strip over here, do we have any chargers?”

*CEO pregnant pause, pulls a pair of 30-pin iPhone cables from the toilet area. Spotify playlist advances to Uptown Funk.*

hellotoothpaste fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 20, 2023

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Boys made the submarine from Iron Lung lmao

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Three Olives posted:

Our cats have a more modern and appropriate computing setup in our kitchen:

Pictured: a safer submarine (it will actively fight your dumb idea)

E: also he says he has spare controllers onboard which won't help if the computer or wireless interface crap out.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 20, 2023

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

This is absolutely going to have boiled down to the fact that this sub is my Ultima Online era gaming rig + toilet + pressure-vessel. Only thing missing is a 19” CRT.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Can a mod change the thread title to Submersible on expedition to Titanic missing please?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Just to save everyone who like me were wondering:

Meaning that loving piece of poo poo can't even travel very far.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

hellotoothpaste posted:

Headline: Rich people submarine lost to interference between keyboard/gamepad non-Bluetooth Logitech Universal wireless dongles and Windows Vista support end-of-life.

Oh it's end-of-life all right :v:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Well, I mean... there is, but he just chose to ignore all the regulatory bodies because they just didn't understand his innovative design and wouldn't have approved it. No, literally. That was a quote he gave to the journalistic equivalent of a handjob he got a while back. Beyond building a fence around all shores I don't know what they could realistically do to stop him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

hellotoothpaste posted:

Headline: Rich people submarine lost to interference between keyboard/gamepad non-Bluetooth Logitech Universal wireless dongles and Windows Vista support end-of-life.

How much do I want to bet that Starlink wasn’t used for critical comms, it was to stream your fav Spotify playlists via the 2.1 speakers.

being a billionaire with more money than most people can fathom and you slowly go insane to the sounds of

Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On (Club Remix Dance Version)

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine

Céline Dion · "My Heart Will Go On" (Richie Jones Remix)

Men At Work - Down Under

Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On (Teddy J Remix)

Bobby Darin - Beyond the sea

Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On (Steve Aoki Remix)

The Little Mermaid - Under The Sea (Homer Simpson vocals)

Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On (Matt Mulholland Recorder by Candlelight )

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alan Smithee posted:

Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On (Matt Mulholland Recorder by Candlelight )

poo poo I was gonna post this, but I guess I can still post the video so everyone can enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WH8mHJnhM

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I wonder how detectable an implosion would be.

Like are there navy subs tooling around who heard it but didn't have reason to think anything of it.

Or the SOSUS guys heard it but have a strict 'Nothing that reveals our capabilities' policy and are keeping quiet for now.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Well, I mean... there is, but he just chose to ignore all the regulatory bodies because they just didn't understand his innovative design and wouldn't have approved it. No, literally. That was a quote he gave to the journalistic equivalent of a handjob he got a while back. Beyond building a fence around all shores I don't know what they could realistically do to stop him.

They could have seized his lovely sub and turned it into a cool hangout spot at the naval safety office.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

Or the SOSUS guys heard it but have a strict 'Nothing that reveals our capabilities' policy and are keeping quiet for now.

IIRC that's how they originally found the Titanic. It was discovered during some expedition in the 70s and they kept it hush hush for a while and then later tipped of researchers where to look.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I for one am entirely pro rich morons building an unsafe vessel and killing themselves with it, the authorities should have prevented him from taking passengers though.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

Like are there navy subs tooling around who heard it but didn't have reason to think anything of it.

Paging Flying Lemur to the thread.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wee posted:

Costco Thomas Andrews

how dare you blaspheme costco

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
LOL. The game controller stick extenders are loving 3D printed with the worst possible alignment of layers.

Why not just use a Futaba or Spectrum TX if you're making a groversub out of thrift store finds and hobby parts anyway?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
send more billionaires to davey jones locker imo

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Does anyone have any idea who the billionaire on board is, or is that a strictly kept secret (to protect stock prices/his family/whatever)?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Does anyone have any idea who the billionaire on board is, or is that a strictly kept secret (to protect stock prices/his family/whatever)?

BBC says Hamish Harding is the billionaire, along with businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman. Don't know if those guys are billionaires.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

From what I think I heard during the press conference, an implosion would have been very detectable via sonar buoys but I don’t know much about water science. Here’s that:

https://twitter.com/uscgnortheast/status/1670921772697362433

Also dvidshub is dogshit and a gov site, FYI.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

BBC says Hamish Harding is the billionaire, along with businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman. Don't know if those guys are billionaires.

The businessman is supposed to be one of the richest people in Pakistan, so maybe $B

hellotoothpaste fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 20, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

frumpykvetchbot posted:

LOL. The game controller stick extenders are loving 3D printed with the worst possible alignment of layers.

Why not just use a Futaba or Spectrum TX if you're making a groversub out of thrift store finds and hobby parts anyway?

If I was building a Groversub I'd go with hardware controls, not because they are safer (probably are) but if I die I want it to be my gently caress up and not a missing windows patch.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ralph Crammed In posted:

quote:

Hamish Harding is a UAE-based British businessman, pilot, explorer, and space tourist. He is the founder of Action Group and chairman of Action Aviation, an international aircraft brokerage company with headquarters in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Yeah, gently caress this dude.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Anyone know what kind of battery it uses?

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Anyone know what kind of battery it uses?

36 AAAs in series, half for the Altec Lansing subwoofer

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Window, toilet, Logitech gaming controller, Elon Musk...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Which, can we speak about this?

You are adding more leverage to an already lovely control point, why? The detection is already poo poo for the given degree of motion and you are adding more?
it's cool they got this poo poo under control