Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

a variant of that build that i wouldn't recommend yet, but would if the devs ever fix the inconsistency between how durations are counted vs. how cooldowns are counted, is going all-in on sprint synergy with Wings, Two-Hearted, Hurdle / Longstrider / Conatus, and Kah's Loop

right now it doesn't really work because durations are counted in subjective time -- meaning if you're going at lightspeed, your buffs still decrease by one turn for each action you take -- but cooldowns are counted in real time, so if you move 20 times a turn or w/e, it takes 20 actions for your cooldowns to tick down by one

Is this an inconsistency or a purposeful design choice? Unormal is somewhere around here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TaintedBalance posted:

Is this an inconsistency or a purposeful design choice? Unormal is somewhere around here

if it's a purposeful design choice it's a huge factor in why timed buff mutations are almost universally not worth taking while passives, despite being really boring and presenting fewer tactical decisions, tend to be incredibly strong

now, admittedly, temporal fugue in particular does not need buffs :v:

but like it absolutely dumpsters Adrenal Control, for example

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Last time we promised to help the villagers with some stuff, then blew them off to go to the mall. Today we'll try to actually do the stuff they wanted us to.

Before that, let's chat with our good friend Snakelite

Each pet has a little story snipped you can see through their interact menu. For Snakelite, we get this damaged piece of promotional material.

Snakelite doesn't have a dialogue tree, but he does have some random dialogue every time you talk to him.

With that done, we start heading towards one of the ruins we have business at.

Along the way we discover another random ruin, thanks to our wayfaring lore

There are books

There are statues

There are cybernetic implants

There's not a single creature here aside from ourselves, so we grab the loot and leave without issue.

Since the last place we visited went so well, I figure we may as well check this one out too. Lairs aren't as likely to have treasure, but there'll be a legendary creature there (the eponymous Caaw-CAW-caw, who I presume is some kind of bird) who we can do the water ritual with.

Unlike the last place, this once has some hostile creatures around. Chameleons and turtles are no issue for us, though. We put them to sleep, poison them, and stab them to death.

We also see an icefrog, which felt so unremarkable I didn't even think to take a screenshot of it.

This was a mistake. I should have left immediately.

It's not long before we turn a corner and see a small crowd of icefrogs waiting for us. Their freezing ray does some damage and freezes us in place briefly.

By the time we thaw out we're down to 10 HP.

See, usually, you don't encounter icefrogs until you're in the jungle. And in the jungle, icefrogs are the least dangerous enemy around - they're the popcorn enemies you crush between fights with the actually-dangerous goatmen. But we're not a midlevel adventurer kitted out to cross the jungle, we're a newbie who's still using their starting gear. So those enemies I'm used to seeing as harmless are actually pretty dangerous. Trying to kill all of these frogs is going to be almost impossible - at this point, all we want to do is run away. We can't go back to the world map if there are hostile enemies nearby, though, so our current objective is just to create enough space between us and the frogs that we can leave. Unfortunately, I used sleep gas just before turning the corner, and it's still on cooldown.

I activate temporal fugue, summoning our 1 time clone. Unfortunately, the clones are an exact copy of the user at the time they're summoned, so our clone also only has 10 hp. Hopefully he can at least distract them for a few turns.

Sleep gas has 16 turns of cooldown left, so if we hold out long enough we can use it again. Temporal fugue has 225 turns of cooldown, so we'll die or escape before it's ready again.

Since the clone is distracting them, I spend a turn eating a witchwood bark, our basic healing item we started with. Witchwood bark recovers a little hp but also has a chance to confuse you, so you want to be careful when you use it.

Being confused scambles the map, moving tiles around randomly without a couple spaces of their real location. The actual map is the same, if you remember what it looks like, but crossing unknown territory or fighting moving enemies becomes much more difficult. It also gives everything in your inventory nonsense names and puts them in a random order, so using more items becomes harder too. But we have no other items to use and our only goal is to run to the right, so it's not much of a problem right now

Our HP is up to 24 now, thanks to the witchwood. (This also changed our sprite color from red to yellow, so we blend in with the plants a lot more - we're in the bottom row, 3rd from the right). We're still confused, but sleep gas is off cooldown so we drop another cloud and keep running.

The frogs can jump past the clouds, however, and they keep pinging us with freeze ray every now and then for more damage and a turn or two of immobility, so the escape isn't easy.

Eventually the last frog nearby dies of poison. We're down to 6 hp. The way is clear to go back to the world map.

I have decided not to water ritual with Caaw-CAW-caw after all.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I've been killed so many times exploring ruins/lairs when way too low of a level. I feel that I have a greater chance of finding stuff there that I shouldn't realistically see til mid/late game so I do it all the time anyways. "I think I can survive a crit, maybe two, from a rifle, surely it'll be okay"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m gonna have to print out this Steam Deck controller setup or something, so many buttons and layers to remember.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
NGL I was fully expecting the update to end with you dying right by the exit and with one enemy left but I'm glad you survived. :toot:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hell yeah

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This is an LP from the dimension known as Competent

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

verbal enema posted:

This is an LP from the dimension known as Competent
Well, let's wait until after Golgotha to make bold claims like that.

I figure that's enough exploring for one day, so I head to the location of our first quest - the village of Shamrod.

Quests that lead you to a village can be a mixed blessing. Finding new villages is always nice - they have quests, merchants, and friendly NPCs you can water ritual with. But if another quest sends you there to find an item, that item will usually be in the hands of a friendly NPC, rather than in a chest on the floor.

In our case, Bathes-on-Salt here has the legendary nullbeard gland we're looking for. He's willing to sell it to us, but...

He wants... a lot for it. Elder nullbeard glands are valuable, being a quest item makes it more valuable, and ego effects your shop prices - and our ego is bad. Selling off all the books and implants we found wouldn't even get us halfway there.

We could try to kill him, but doing it here will aggro the whole town, and there's no easy way to get him outside of town. If we recruited him into our party he would give us it for free, but we don't know how to proselytize and our ego is terrible. So I'm just gonna pass. If the tinker wants this gland so badly he can come buy it himself.

Next on the list was to pray at a statue at a remote starapple farm

Quests like this are basically a freebie - if getting to the Six Day Stilt wasn't so easy for us, I'd definitely have gone for this one first.

On the way out we glance at the apple farmer's daughter

So beautiful...

Being in love makes it harder to concentrate, but we'll get over it in a couple days. We head back to Tavuh to turn in the quest.

None of the rewards are amazing for us. I took the advertisements for the workshops - we can read them to learn the location of some legendary merchants. They're both off in the jungle, but they'll be able to sell better stuff than the merchants at the Stilt, and we can water ritual with them to learn the location of other merchants.

If you start in a random village, there will always be two quests - one that rewards you with some random items, and one that gives you the starting hook for the main quest. Since this one gave us items, that unfortunately means our formal introduction to the Barathrumites is locked behind a $760 macrotransaction. Fortunately, there's another way to get started.

We head back to the world map. Over here is where Joppa appears when you choose it as your starting village. If you start at a random village the tile just looks like another salt marsh, but entering it reveals an abandoned village. The dirt roads and remaining bits of wall match the layout of Joppa.

Here in the southwest, around where Argyve's workshop was, we find a corpse.

And on the corpse, we find the data disk and droid scrambler he would have had us take to the Barathrumites.

Even if you don't need the data disk, it can be worth visiting the ruins of Joppa. Joppa itself has a guaranteed statue with information about Resheph, and the graveyard one screen north has a guaranteed statue that reveals the location of a historic site. Both statues will still spawn, even when you start in another village.

We've all been there, buddy

Next I'd like to try and clear one of the historic sites we've found. But first, I think we need better gear, or at least any gear at all. We have multiple arms and skills with daggers, but we're currently wielding:
  • A bronze dagger
  • A torch
  • An empty fist
  • An empty fist

I head to a random desert canyon and persuade some snapjaws to lend me a couple bronze daggers.
I'm so sorry guys you're really cute but I have no money and I need knives

We also find one of these. An electrobow is a pretty nice find - it's strong for an early missile weapon, doesn't use much power, and gives off light just by having it equipped, which frees up our torch hand to hold another dagger. In the long run we probably want to avoid missile weapons, because we want our fugue clones to be closing to melee where they can use their sleep gas and poison stingers, and they'll generally prefer to sit back and take potshots if they have a missile weapon equipped. But for now, the light and ranged option is worth it.

By the time we're done, our equipment looks like this. It's a big improvement, and we should be able to handle the earlygame historic sites as long as they don't spawn anything too nasty. We head for Kikh, a nearby site in the desert.

Historic sites are randomly generated dungeons. All of the units inside will be a member of their own unique faction, a sultan cult that worships one of the ancient sultans. Mechanically, this means that they'll almost always be hostile to you, regardless of what the unit is usually like. It's possible to become neutral with sultan cults like any other faction, and in that case you can stroll peacefully through the site, but this will almost never happen naturally and generally isn't worth aiming for.

Each historic site will pick a couple enemy types to populate it, scaled with the part of the map the site appears in. Kikh here ended up populated by trash monks and hide-sheathed hermits, which is probably ideal for us - they're organic, so we can use our sleep gas and poison, they're weaker than us, so we're only in danger if we get swarmed, and they're humanoid, which means they're going to be equipped with gear that we can loot when they die.

The layout works in our favor too - lots of twisty narrow passageways. We can't get surrounded or shot at from multiple angles, and if we ever need to back off, a cloud of sleep gas make a hallway completely impassible to these guys. By the time we're done with the first floor we've gained a level and found a number of good pieces of gear.

Once we go down a floor some dawngliders start showing up alongside the hermits and monks. Dawngliders are usually a dangerous enemy in the early game, with flight and ranged flaming rays. On the surface they can fly, moving them out of range of our melee attacks while still letting them pelt us with flaming rays. But flight doesn't work underground, so encountering them here is a lot less dangerous. They won't use flaming ray if it'll cause friendly fire either, so with the narrow hallways down here it's hard for them to get off a shot.

The second floor is much smaller. Most of the fighting takes place in the cramped area near the stairs, where our sleep gas is very effective at locking the enemies down. We clear the floor and keep heading down.

The third floor is more of the same, narrow hallways, sleep gas, etc. We're getting stronger but the enemies are the same, so it's only getting easier as we keep going.

Near the stairs down, we find a shortbow engraved with one of the most important events Qud's history.

On the fourth floor we find a strange device, a freestanding doorway with a shimmering light inside, connected to large power cables. What could this bizarre contraption be?

Oops.

We also find a grenade. Grenades work how you'd expect. You equip them in your thrown item slot, you throw them, they explode and are gone. Pretty standard consumable, usually. But having temporal fugue makes things a little more interesting. See, our clones spawn with a copy of our equipment, including equipped thrown items. If we equip this grenade but don't throw it, then every time we use temporal fugue our clones will spawn in with their own grenades ready to throw, and they really love throwing grenades. Using a grenade like this can be a little risky, because while our clones try to avoid friendly fire, they are maybe not always as diligent about avoiding it as you might like. But in this case it's probably worth the risk, the explosion radius on the tier 1 grenades isn't too big and it's a lot of free burst damage.

The combat is going pretty smoothly at this point, so we head down to the next floor.

We find these partway through. We'll need better batteries before we can use them full time, but these would be a great source of hands-free light once we're stocked up.

Finally, at the bottom of the ruins, we meet the boss.

I summon the boys. They toss out their new grenades and we all close to melee.

We start emitting sleep gas to try and disable the boss, but what's this...?

He can emit sleep gas too! Legendaries like this will get a couple random mutations, and this guy just happened to roll sleep gas generation. Sleep gas generation gives you immunity to all sleep gas, regardless of its source, so neither of us can effect the other with it.

But it's still 3v1 so we just stab and poison him to death.

Purple chests like this can be found at the bottom of historic sites. They'll contain the main prize for your visit:

A random artifact, and some credits.

Artifacts are randomly generated items, generally some base item with additional modifiers, many of which are exclusive to sultan relics like this. The base item chosen will depend on the area the historic site is located in. Earlygame historic sites can be pretty hit or miss for relics, since even with great modifiers a bronze axe is still a bronze axe. We lucked out and got an artifact bracelet, which is probably the best category. There's very little competition for good arm equipment, so even an earlygame relic bracelet can end up being something you wear all game. And having multiple arms means we have multiple arm slots, so it's even easier to keep one on.

We'll be wearing this thing for a long time.

Credit wedges are what truekin use at becoming nooks to increase how many cybernetics they can install. If you're a truekin, clearing historic sites for more credit wedges is extremely high priority. We can't do any of that as a mutant, but credit wedges are both very valuable and completely weightless, so it's still a nice bonus.

Our equipment after clearing the historic site. We've upgraded a lot since the start of this update.

We finish up by heading back to the Six Day Stilt. First we talk to Tszappur, the guy who wants Resheph lore.

Next we head in to the library and donate all our books.

Some people will say that it's better to save your books until the endgame and donate them all at once. The idea is that since enemy exp scales down as you outlevel them, but book exp is constant, it's better to get as many levels from enemies as you can before cashing in the books. Personally, though, I think it's better to donate your books asap. Low level Qud characters are vulnerable and weak, and high level Qud characters are gods of destruction. Going from level 5 to 10 does way more to power you up than going from 35 to 40.

Next time: Probably go check out Bey Lah

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The game also never stops spawning books, and they're heavy, at 1 unit per weight each. If you're like me and just carry everything with you every time I just offload them every time I get the chance and I don't think this has ever backfired on me; it's not like it's hard to reach level 40+ in the end anyway.

If you wanted to get that quest item, you could always equip a love injector in your main hand and forcibly inject it into that NPC. If they're in love with you, everything they have costs 0, and it doesn't count as water ritual oath-breaking or anything.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

mdct posted:

The game also never stops spawning books, and they're heavy, at 1 unit per weight each. If you're like me and just carry everything with you every time I just offload them every time I get the chance and I don't think this has ever backfired on me; it's not like it's hard to reach level 40+ in the end anyway.

I’ll sometimes drop a chest near Sheba and leave my books in there until I’m ready to donate them, if I’m aiming for the low level rewards from Golgotha, but yeah, beyond that I don’t think it’s worth hoarding them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fantastic update, Snake Maze. The explanations are really helpful for me, being new to the game, and your descriptions are great. Makes me want to cancel a couple of meetings and play a bit this morning.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Yeah your killing it Snake Maze

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I wish you could play as the flying snake dudes. they're cute.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Leraika posted:

I wish you could play as the flying snake dudes. they're cute.

Oh you can

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Dominate them then kill your original body in one go and bingo bango

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

To elaborate: the simplest way to get to play as many NPC mobs is take the mental mutation that lets you take over the mind of another creature, take over the other creature’s mind, then kill your character’s original body in a single blow.

At least 1 fancier way is available, too.

e: f;b

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Maybe if I can navigate my shattered screen I could throw my hdmi cable into my laptop and use my tv as the monitor and I'll try to set up a domination run where I take over like a bird or crocodile

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Can you swap to robots in anyway?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I think you can do it if you find a gangleonic teleprojector, which lets you dominate robots. Doing that without wishes can take a while, though.

One of my favorite runs was when I dominated a snapjaw right at the start and beat the game like that. Snapjaw supremacy! Now, granted, this was a legendary snapjaw who spawned at level 1 with the kind of stats a player would usually have around level 20, so, uh, not really a challenge run. Still fun to pull off, though.

Also, glad to hear people are liking the LP. I was worried about striking a balance between being informative and showing off the lore without killing the pacing too much, so I'm happy it's working for people.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

verbal enema posted:

Dominate them then kill your original body in one go and bingo bango

of course this is a thing you can do, how silly of me

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Your LP is mine but with all the words I should have also typed

Also its CoQ it loving whips rear end no matter how you tell the tale

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

Also, glad to hear people are liking the LP. I was worried about striking a balance between being informative and showing off the lore without killing the pacing too much, so I'm happy it's working for people.

Oh yeah, loving it so far. On the edge of my seat.... (waiting to see how you are going to die.)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Tempted to try this game out but I still need to finish TotK (the story, at least) and then FF16 comes out in several days...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tempted to try this game out but I still need to finish TotK (the story, at least) and then FF16 comes out in several days...

Youd be surprised at how easy this game is as a pick up and play for a bit then be like ahh Imma do something else.

I used to do a few turns between league of legends matches and poo poo you dont need to do multiple hour sessions. Just save in a,spot that is safe and check your Chronicle when you reload.

Also gently caress final fantasy shits whack

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just wandered into a sultan site in the Moon Stair and it's overflowing with dreamcrungles and neutral star krakens. This is literally the most dangerous place in the universe. I'm hanging around anyway because as long as I stay out in the open and don't get crungled I can occasionally go pick some really cool poo poo out of the chaotic detritus the star krakens leave behind after eating pieces of reality

e: there was a relic chest on the surface guarded by a legendary dreamcrungle. I hung around until a star kraken ate him and then looted it. It's a zetachrome body armour with +8 ranks of Light Manipulation

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 20, 2023

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I once scoped out a moon stair sultan site populated primarily by N-Dimensional Starshells or whatever the dimensional turtles are called. Rifts in space time all over the place until I slapped on an Ontological Anchor and spammed explosives, arc winders, and occasionally a geomagnetic disc while desperately trying to kite them everywhere while grinding through their massive HP and AV.

I don't even remember what I found, just having to take the ontological anchor off and flee through a vortex occasionally because that ended up considerably safer than staying.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Moon_stair_historic_site.png (The red tiles are warning indicators for instant kill attacks)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

personally i've always enjoyed playing a roguelike alongside another game with lower stakes. that way when you die to some bullshit you can retreat to something a little more relaxed and when you get sick of nothing having consequences you can go back to the roguelike

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

personally i've always enjoyed playing a roguelike alongside another game with lower stakes. that way when you die to some bullshit you can retreat to something a little more relaxed and when you get sick of nothing having consequences you can go back to the roguelike

I do (did) a lot of battlefield and coq

Great difference between them considering how different the games are really helps tbh

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snake Maze posted:

Moon_stair_historic_site.png (The red tiles are warning indicators for instant kill attacks)

See if I was in this area in the LP I'd be FORCING my way through this come hell or high water. Or death

Mostly death

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

It's time to head to Bey Lah. Strap yourself in, because despite being pretty low stakes compared to some of the stuff we'll get up to, the Bey Lah quest has by far the most writing of any quest in the game. Lots of unique NPCs and dialogue trees to go through.

Bey Lah is a small farming town inhabited by hindren, a reclusive group of deer-centaur people.

None of the villagers want to talk to us when we arrive, so we head over to meet the chief.

Beat up some thieves and get the treasure! Sounds right up our alley. Let's go talk to the warden and find where they are.

Alright, sounds like Kindrish was definitely stolen by these exiles. We'll head north and look for that clearing.

We follow a dirt path a couple screens through the north. It's pretty uneventful - flower fields are a little more dangerous than desert canyons overall, but they're still a very low level area.

We do encounter and paste an ice frog, though. :frogout:

At the end of the road we find the clearing where our three exiles have made camp.

We talk to the seeming leader of the group.

What a twist! We'll have to head back to town and get to the bottom of this. First, though, we take a quick look around the area.

We find a crumpled sheet tucked away inside one of the other burnt out trees. Picking it up gives us a quest to find who dropped it.

Anyway, back to town.

Here we get to the meat of the quest: investigating the village to find who stole Kendrish. We'll start by talking with the warden.

: What can you tell me about Eskhind?

: What can you tell me about Kesehind?

: What do you know about the outsiders? The kendren?

Towards the center of the town we meet another helpful NPC.

: I am, and yes.

Encyclopedia Brown here basically explains how the actual gameplay works for this quest. We find evidence by asking questions and looking at people and things around town, then combine two pieces of evidence to put together a narrative about what happened. If the two pieces fit together, our story is accepted and the accused is found guilty.

It's possible that the evidence we find can point towards multiple different people. In that case, it's up to us who gets accused and found guilty. If your accusation doesn't make sense, though, you can't accuse that person again, so you can't just trial and error your way through.

One last chunk of dialogue to go. Let's interview our suspects.

We'll start with Eskhind herself.

A little more insight into why Eskhind was so eager to leave, at least. Next, the older of her sisters.

This isn't the worst bit of foot in mouth our hero is capable of, but it's up there. On to the youngest sister.

: May I ask you something?

Some evidence for The Mystery Of Who Wrote The Love Poem On The Ground Near Eskhind's Campsite, at least.

Next we'll interview the Grand Doe herself.

: Why was Eskhind exiled?

: Who is your bodyguard?

: Is Neelahind a good warden?

: Why did you tell me Eskhind had a brother?

Our final interview is with the Grand Doe's bodyguard.

Succinct.

Now that we're familiar with the suspects, we can start looking around town for clues.

Gross, indeed. A severed tongue could be a symptom a glotrot, a very serious disease.

Ah, this is some important evidence as well.

I should, uh, hold on to it. For safekeeping.

Near the border of town are some leatherworking tools that seem better than what the hindren could produce themselves. Dropped by an outsider, perhaps?

Sounds of fighting at night? I don't think we've seen anyone who looks injured, though.

The bodyguard wasn't talking much for a few weeks.

Someone has been secretly taking leather.

And using the leather too, from the sounds of it.

And the grand doe herself has been doing some secret crafting recently.

That's all the clues we're going to find. The clues are the random element of the quest - you'll get a different set of them each run, which can potentially point to different suspects.

We pay a visit to the town's trader before returning to the warden. Most of the stuff here is unremarkable, but there's one item that really stands out.

An urberry! Urberries are amazing, especially this early in the game. They're a healing food, like witchwood bark. But while witchwood bark heals about 20 hp over 3 turns, Urberries heal 100 hp, and they do it instantly. There's no risk of confusion or other negative side effects either. The closest thing they have to a drawback is that eating an urberry also fills your hunger and thirst by a lot, so after eating 2 or 3 you'll be so full you can't eat more without throwing up. It puts a soft cap on how many you can eat in a single fight, but that still gives you several hundred extra hp to work with.

Isahind wants over 200 drams for it, but we're carrying probably around 400 drams of spare equipment from that historic site we explored earlier. It's absolutely worth selling half of that off to get a safety net like this in our pocket.

Anyway, back to detective work. First, the mystery of the poem.

Now, we're finally ready to solve the Mystery of the Missing Kindrish.

Can you figure out whodunnit?? Choose one piece of evidence from the first list and one piece of evidence from the second list to make an accusation!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Leather taken from the village stores and the Hindriarch's secret project. Also make sure to talk to Eskhind and Neelahind about how things are going once the dust settles

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That list of possible motives (spoilers for how the quest works) has no really good outcomes; Keh/Craft gets you an electric wristwarmer, Eskhind/Trade is some low-tier energy cells, Kesehind/Illness is some severed faces (lmao), and Kendren/Craft is some random carbide-tier gear items -- decent if you get body armor, crap otherwise. Bummer, I was hoping for the neutron flux option. So instead of even bothering, I would advise simply maximizing village prosperity and putting Eskhind in charge. At least that way you can learn Dual Wield from her down the road and/or use Bey Lah as a host village in Landing Pads later on.

Therefore: echoing the poster above me, Hindriarch Keh, leather taken from village stores.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

See, our methodologies are totally different because the only thing I care about is protecting the lesbians from their rear end in a top hat transphobe mayor

e: one of these days I'm going to walk into town and thrust Kindrish into Keh's hands before she even finishes speaking, just to see what happens

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 21, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

much like the quest itself, i assign diegetic motives after the fact :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Leather taken from the village stores and the Hindriarch's secret project. Also make sure to talk to Eskhind and Neelahind about how things are going once the dust settles

This one,

Maximum prosperity is good and the old mayor is poo poo anyway

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Leather taken from the stores and mayor's secret project. Everything about the mayor screams they're shady as hell (in addition to being an rear end in a top hat).

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Heh. It's simple, really, if you consider the evidence logically.

For solving the mystery, our reputation with Bey Lah gets a massive boost, bring us all the way up to... complete neutrality. They don't really like outsiders. They also reward us with a couple pieces of scrap and a warm armband.

But of course, the real treasure is the friends we made along the way. Now that the quest is over we're free to water ritual with both Neelahind and Esk.

Sharing water with our new friends brings us up to 200 rep with Bey Lah.

If we could manage to get 100 more rep, Esk would teach us Dual Wield. That's usual one of the most expensive skills in the game at 300sp, and it's pretty good for our build, so we'd love to get it for free. There's nobody else we can water ritual with here, but if we take a look at the reputation page of our journal...

We can see that the people of Bey Lah are interested in learning about locations in the flower fields. We'll come back to this in a bit. First, let's see what everyone else thinks about the change in leadership.

Meyehind and Liihart are predictably happy we helped.

The villagers are a bit more divided, but most seem cautiously supportive.

We leave town and wander the flower fields for a bit.

And then we go back to town. This is honestly still the same day ingame, but let's pretend I came back a few months later.

After leaving and returning, everyone has new dialogue to show how they've adapted to the change.

We tell Esk about the lairs, and she shows us how to use our daggers a bit better.

Even Liihart has opened up a bit. Everyone seems pretty happy with the state of affairs.

Okay, not quite everyone.

Isahind has indeed expanded her stock. Before she only had some basic provisions, but she's added some carbide armor, valuable trade goods, and a couple unidentified artifacts.

I'm most interested in the small stone - these are usually recoilers, items that use batteries in order to instantly teleport you back to a town. You always get one from the same quest that points you towards Grit Gate, but since we never finished that quest, we never got our starting recoiler either. You can't use them in combat, so they're not really an escape button, but they're still very useful to have while exploring. I go ahead and purchase this one.

And what do you know, it takes us right where we need to go! Grit Gate is the start of the quest chain that we'll be following for the rest of the game, and it's where the main story really starts up. Usually you have to do a bit of cave diving to reach it, but with this we can skip the whole thing. We say our farewells to Bey Lah for now and teleport away.

We arrive outside a fulcrete structure built into a sandstone cave.

The main entrance is a pair of sliding glass doors blocked off by a forcefield. To the side is a more conventional locked metal door. There's nobody to talk to, so we try the communications panel on the wall.

...are we joining a cult?

If you with the panel again, they'll open the security door to the side and let you into a small trading area. The rest of the settlement is locked off with another pair of steel doors.

Mafeo is the main trader for Grit Gate, and has some useful supplies for sale.

He'll always have a pickaxe for sale. Pickaxes are dirt cheap, and while they're bad as an actual weapon, having one equipped allows you to dig through walls by attacking them. It's pretty slow, so you won't be able to open up passageways mid-fight, but just having the option is really useful. It's worth buying one and holding on to it in case you ever need it.

He will also always have a ton of bullets for sale. Nobody before this has had more than 150 bullets for sale at once, and most of them only had 30. Lead slugs can be a little scarce before Grit Gate, but once you reach Mafeo you're pretty much set for life. If you're a gunslinger, you probably want to come here a lot sooner, even if you're not planning on tackling Golgotha for a while.

There's also some guaranteed Grit Gate recoilers for sale, which usually I would buy, but we've already got that taken care of.

We head into the cave to the south and prepare to make our way to the surface. I guess, in retrospect, we didn't skip the cave dive so much as change which end we started at.

Next time: Preparing for Golgotha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The bodyguard seemed like a lock to me. But I suppose alls well that ends well.