Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

The genius critical minds of our best billionaires on display as they decide descending to the deepest depths of the Atlantic in a metal tube accessorised with bits from B&Q, Camping World and Game Spot is a smart and rational idea.

Now I'm just imagining the walls are a video screen showing old episodes of On The Spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Matkatz->saitek->logitech handmedowns are not product lines to be trusted

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That same guy in the video I posted last page is the guy screenshotted here https://twitter.com/halkyardo/status/1671000633845993473

https://twitter.com/halkyardo/status/1671003148842835970

So he directly witnesses a five hour MIA, where they cut off his internet access to prevent him documenting it, and he just peacefully smiled and said "this is fine" and never told anyone until now.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

Sure, but I've used that very controller and it's a piece of poo poo. Unreliable, and the analogue sticks are unreliable for precision. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance's sword controls are nigh on impossible because the stick does not track correctly.

If they're dead because the controller shat itself that'll be rather damning. Although I'm guessing this cheapskate idiot didn't bother with a black box either.

If you want to trigger your claustraphobia check out how loving micro the inside of this deathtrap is btw https://twitter.com/FnpMarieOH/status/1670931677013524487

I tensed up seeing two people in it.

Yeah the wireless knockoff circa 2014 design is a profoundly weird choice. I'd have defended the choice of a PS2 sixaxis (or even dualshock) though, that way you get analog readings from all the inputs

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Chubby Henparty posted:

Matkatz->saitek->logitech handmedowns are not product lines to be trusted

Logitech can be trusted. For $250k per ticket they probably should have went with the £150 Xbox Elite controller though.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Logitech can be trusted. For $250k per ticket they probably should have went with the £150 Xbox Elite controller though.

Love my Logitech G-13, but then i'm at sea level and no lives are at risk when i move the thumbstick. :kiddo:

It was a matter of ''when'' not ''if'' a clusterfuck would occur.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Was the billionaire on board the creator of the sub?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I gotta say James Cameron's gamepad looks a lot more like it was made for return trips

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I gotta say James Cameron's gamepad looks a lot more like it was made for return trips

Looks more like a Sky Remote tbh

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So for more detail, that pad is the F710. It's s decade and a half old design at least and they're still selling it, far as I can tell unchanged. Its predecessor, the F510, was lovely, I used it for years, and I'd still be using it if the right stick click hadn't worn out playing Dark Souls. I struggled with the F710 for a few months before giving up. Its wireless was intolerably laggy. I don't know whether it was getting interference or what.

If you want a good, recent controller, go for an 8bitdo, not that crap.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

In the course of researching Titanic, James Cameron spent longer exploring the ship than the actual passengers did. Say what you like about the script and acting, but you can't fault the effort.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Do you remember that guy in Denmark who invented his own submarine and ended up killing and dismembering the journalist who went to him for an interview?

Apparently, he was quite well regarded in his field before he went to jail.

So, the submersible field. Full of a lot of fine, trustworthy sorts.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

smellmycheese posted:

Gazing on the desolate majesty of The Titanic while curling out a morning steamer

A Seabed Loafer.

I got to see one of the imaging teams at NASA using a gamer joystick to track the launch on camera.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Weren’t there rumours that the Danish Submarine murderer was a goon?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The Question IRL posted:

Do you remember that guy in Denmark who invented his own submarine and ended up killing and dismembering the journalist who went to him for an interview?

Oh yeah, he scuttled the sub with her body in it and tried to claim it was all a tragic accident, didn't he.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Weird connection.

https://www.explorers.org/search-for-titanic-expedition-intensifies/

quote:

Dear Fellow Explorers,

I have difficult news to share.

Hamish Harding, a founding member of the Board of Trustees of The Explorers Club, was on the expedition to the RMS Titanic, approximately 900 miles east of Cape Cod. He was part of a five person crew on the submersible of the Canadian research vessel Polar Prince.

The five person crew submerged Sunday morning, and the crew of the Polar Prince lost contact with them approximately one hour and 45 minutes into the vessel’s dive.

The U.S. Coast Guard announced today that it is continuing its intensive search above and below the surface, deploying assets from the U.S., Canada, and commercial partners in an attempt to locate the submersible. That search continues at this moment.

When I saw Hamish last week at the Global Exploration Summit, his excitement about this expedition was palpable. I know he was looking forward to conducting research at the site.

We all join in the fervent hope that the submersible is located as quickly as possible and the crew is safe.

Richard Garriott de Cayeux
President, The Explorers Club

Unfortunately, Hamish may now be in the ultimate underworld.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

smellmycheese posted:

Weren’t there rumours that the Danish Submarine murderer was a goon?

Rumours? His sub and rocket construction threads are in the goldmine somewhere.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The goon helped build the sub as I recall, he was not the murderer himself.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Have ‘explorers’ always just been idle rich cunts looking for something to do or is that just how it works in the modern era

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Looking at the construction of this sub it also looks like it was done by a goon, but more on the goon project side of competence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have ‘explorers’ always just been idle rich cunts looking for something to do or is that just how it works in the modern era

Explorers not paid by the crown of their particular empire to discover new lands, yes.

As said above, James Cameron actually puts a lot of effort in and actually contributes to marine biology - he discovered new species in the Marianas Trench, and he submitted his diving capsule to some marine society so that his innovations could be used to benefit deep sea research for everyone else going forward.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Any analysis of Scott’s trip to the Antarctic gives off very strong “upper class twit goon project” vibes

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Spangly A posted:

That goon was just one of the many people who were involved in building the sub, not the murderer.

e:f;b

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

Apparently the sub company CEO was in the coffin vessel as well. Say what you want at least he had the balls to get turned into blobfish go down with his ship.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Any analysis of Scott’s trip to the Antarctic gives off very strong “upper class twit goon project” vibes

Using horses instead of dogs was a bit of an oopsie along with the way fuel differs at high altitudes compared to sea level. :byoscience:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

If you want to trigger your claustraphobia check out how loving micro the inside of this deathtrap is btw https://twitter.com/FnpMarieOH/status/1670931677013524487

I tensed up seeing two people in it.
:gonk:

I've changed my working theory to "they went mad and ate each other."

Tesseraction posted:

Looking at the construction of this sub it also looks like it was done by a goon, but more on the goon project side of competence.
The walls of the sub are full of conduits so that each LED can be individually controlled.

The bit that gets me is there only seems to be a window on the toilet end, so unless you’re using the facilities you’re only going to be seeing everything through a camera, in which case why the gently caress go down there at all just send a camera
So that they can say they legally fulfilled the 'with your own eyes' bit of the pitch.*

*Assuming the water was clear.**
** And the external lamp was working.***
*** And nobody was taking a poo poo.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Spangly A posted:

Well this is a new twist on that horribly grim story I wasn't aware of.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Well this is a new twist on that horribly grim story I wasn't aware of.

Somebody who worked on it was a Goon, not the actual mad killer.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

In other good news…

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

In other good news…

Good!

Hope he gets well convicted.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

domhal posted:

Weird connection.

https://www.explorers.org/search-for-titanic-expedition-intensifies/

Unfortunately, Hamish may now be in the ultimate underworld.

Not that weird, after Richard Garriott got rich he spent his time doing that kinda extreme exploration, he's been in space, and in the mariana trench. He's the exact person who would be connected to them. Probably spends more on his game controllers though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/Gennerveevy/status/1670987268004380672?s=20

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Tesseraction posted:

Some people on reddit described how they were part of the OceanGate project but left it due to what they considered to be shoddy workmanship and a lack of professionalism, making them feel way too nervous about the whole project.

I can't watch the video showcasing the interior of that deathtrap and not think Groversub

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Not that weird, after Richard Garriott got rich he spent his time doing that kinda extreme exploration, he's been in space, and in the mariana trench. He's the exact person who would be connected to them. Probably spends more on his game controllers though.

And there was that Yank who did around the world ballooning with Dick Branson. Steve Forbes? Fossett? Foster? Something like that anyway. He ended up dying in a plane crash in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Which is why all these billionaires who fancy themselves as explorers are my favourite billionaires.

Spangly A posted:

At some point I half expect to find out that the student whose paper was nicked for the dodgy dossier that justifies invading Iraq was a Goon. Someone from this dumb has been involved in almost every other decision the last 20 years. Wonders never cease

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 20, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Kavros posted:

Some people on reddit described how they were part of the OceanGate project but left it due to what they considered to be shoddy workmanship and a lack of professionalism, making them feel way too nervous about the whole project.

I can't watch the video showcasing the interior of that deathtrap and not think Groversub

Load bearing toilet window.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It was a bit surprising as a name only familiar to me from early 2000s issues of PC Gamer. Guess it's not unusual after reaching a certain level of richness.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
billionaire at the bottom of the sea and the false idol is now officially a rapist

things are looking up

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1671018038370467845

otoh The Super Mario Bros Movie wouldn't have been made in 1975, because nobody would know tf it was about, which is about as interesting a point as when the press keep doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

i was just thinking, having seen some of this 'partygate' bs in passing while walking past the tv recently, that i think it would be cool to try a sort of politics that treats campaigning the way cigarette packets aren't allowed any branding on them any more. just anonymize it all and only allow statements which directly pertain to policies they will be introduced or revoked.

probably a stupid idea as a basic statement like that but i think the whole thing of personality based politics is an insurmountable problem while it is the primary focus of public life. it's almost completely irrelevant and usually counterproductive. i'm just trying to think of some rules you could put in place to cut out the majority of the stupidity.