Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ultimately, it was the Z400 that stole my heart. It also hits 11k so it's very fun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ultimately, it was the Z400 that stole my heart. It also hits 11k so it's very fun.

:hellyeah:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

spouse posted:

I wanna finally learn how to clutch-up correctly and do wheelies right.

I also don't want to ruin the brand new bike I just bought. I can chase power wheelies all day but that's not what I'm looking to get good at.

What's a good platform to learn on that I won't cry if I drop it in a remote parking lot at 2am? Do I buy a street legal dirtbike? a grom? somebody's ratted out 600 with a dubious title? Start hanging out with the 12 o'clock boys as a chubby 33 year old white guy? I have no easy access to offroading that allows dirtbikes, so actual cheap dirtbike is probably out.

Get a trials bike and practice in a parking lot.

e: if you're not close to dirt and don't have a car... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF2mo-lhVwY

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Invalido posted:

There's a cheap 2001 yamaha tt600r for sale locally. 29kW, 155kg wet weight according to the DMW. Terrible idea? (The seller claims it needs new tires and a fork job)

Get this one, it even has the black plastic panels by the front indicator stalks that are missing on 99% of the nx250s I see

https://www.blocket.se/annons/alvsborg/honda_nx_250/109652883

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Supradog posted:

Get this one
That looks really interesting, thanks! It seems like a great cheap bike for gravel and logging roads I think.
Pretty far away but the price is definitely right. It hasn't been inspected in almost a decade so that's pretty much a barn find I guess, maybe it's even been sitting in the barn shown in the picture, who knows. People write good things about the model, some complain about tire availability.

Do you have any idea what it's like to get spare parts for a bike like that?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
What bike should my friend get?
He got an ATV. I let him on my Kayo TT140, now he wants a dirt bike for trail riding.
He doesn't want to gently caress around with mechanical work or break downs so I think immediately that means japanese

Honda CRF250F

Kawasaki KLX230R, 300R, is the 140 a kids toy or is it OK for adults?

Yamaha TTR230, WR250F?

The difference between trail vs cross country vs mx is that the trail bikes are smaller, more or less, right?
Cross.country bikes faster, more comfortable, heavier, where MX bikes have probably enhanced suspension?

Probably shouldn't steer hin into a dual sport, right?

He is a completely new rider, but he hopped on my bike, was immediately shifting gears, etc.

Used dirt bikes here are a non starter, weird pricing on 10-15 year old bikes. People hang onto them.

He's thinking he's just gonna get something a lil nicer and finance if he has to and not get a cheap amazon special dirtbike.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 16, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah if reliability is key, you want one of the big 4 Japanese manufacturers

I get the sentiment. I have pushed far too many dirt bikes out of the woods in 90 degree heat

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've got some experience with the KLX 140 and the KLX 300R, I own both of them.
I have the 140G, which is the mid-sized one. It's fine for an adult to ride, though it might be cramped if you're tall. It has enough power to be a trail bike. It's also pretty light which really helps the trail bike aspect. The suspension is not great and probably the one big negative towards it being a good trail bike. You can upgrade it with OEM KX100 suspension components (2-stroke MX line)

The 300R is a fun ride but it's pretty heavy and the engine feels strained. The suspension is ok but a bit soft. It's a pretty good deal for the money, though.
I didn't come to recognize this bike's shortcomings until I bought an MX bike (KX250F). 76 lbs lighter than the 300R, tremendous power. It's an unfair comparison, though, as that bike is quite a bit more expensive.

The CRF250F specs look pretty good. Nice light bike.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 16, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Invalido posted:

Do you have any idea what it's like to get spare parts for a bike like that?

The only thing that is unobtainium outside of getting it with a spare engine from a wrecker is the output shaft. Specifically check / get pictures from the seller that the front sprocket is not welded on..

Cmsnl has most Oem spares that are obtainable
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx250_model278/

For general wear and hop up parts like levers and side luggage rackparts Louis moto got a ton
https://www.louis-moto.com/en/bike-database/honda-nx-250/md21/0244?back=&categoryKey=ROOT&ipp=48&page=1&sort=recommendation&viewMode=grid

There is also a lot on ali express, both for the nx250 and the Asian sister model the ax1(which I lust for. Dual headlight awesomeness)

Rear 16” size tire selection is really limited. But Bridgestones ax41 is available and works fine https://www.motorsykkeldekk.com/product/R-420257?serpMoto=true
82-84 xl250 17” wheels are also drop in if you source one from a wrecker.

But yes, your local motorcycle shop will not have anything outside oil filters and brake pads maybe if they stock the range from a supplier like k&n. If something breaks it’s a week for parts.

It sold a good bit down in Europe so European wrecker networks like bike-teile.de or good old eBay got some listings for obscure parts.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 16, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Buy this.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/d/sausalito-1989-honda-nx250-nx-250/7622196632.html

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

That one is hen teeth rare, same as the transalp it was only in the us for 2 years.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'd buy the fucker in a heartbeat if I didn't already have a geriatric bike with dwindling parts support

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

He got an ATV. I let him on my Kayo TT140, now he wants a dirt bike for trail riding.
He doesn't want to gently caress around with mechanical work or break downs so I think immediately that means japanese

Honda CRF250F

Yamaha TTR230, WR250F?

The difference between trail vs cross country vs mx is that the trail bikes are smaller, more or less, right?
Cross.country bikes faster, more comfortable, heavier, where MX bikes have probably enhanced suspension?

He is a completely new rider, but he hopped on my bike, was immediately shifting gears, etc.

Used dirt bikes here are a non starter, weird pricing on 10-15 year old bikes. People hang onto them.

He's thinking he's just gonna get something a lil nicer and finance if he has to and not get a cheap amazon special dirtbike.

Look at the beta xtrainer too.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Honda CRF250F

Yamaha TTR230, WR250F?

What kind of trails are we talking here?

If he’s used to ATV grip, and does not care about going fast, you might consider a TW200.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

BabelFish posted:

What kind of trails are we talking here?

If he’s used to ATV grip, and does not care about going fast, you might consider a TW200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP_eoGKiTwg this

He doesn't care about going fast. I saw the TW200, it looks affordable, was a bit turned off by drum brakes and didn't list it. It's good, though?

I was navigating my 380 lb Versys 300 through that. It was doable, somewhat fun, but not as fun as a super light bike would be, and maybe risky. I want him to have a good time. I have a few years exp at this point, he has never been on a bike outside of a parking lot.

There's something to say about thinner tires, I don't know what because I am still new to dirt. On my versys 300 I felt like there were few lines I could take down a path, ie, ruts in the dirt would throw thicker tires off.
The super thin tires on my new 140, I can fit anywhere it feels.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 17, 2023

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The drum brakes likely won’t be a problem as you’re never going to go fast enough for it to matter.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Russian Bear posted:

The drum brakes likely won’t be a problem as you’re never going to go fast enough for it to matter.

Yeah, I know.... it's more like a feeling of old bike is old and I have a bias. 😅
But if people recommend it for that purpose... that's good. I passed it on.

I think it's kind if narrowed down to one of the japanese 230 bikes, and now this.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 17, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Real drum brakes are totally fine in a non race application on a light dual sport. Just take the time to properly adjust the bite point with the adjuster on the rod to how you like it every time you have the rear wheel off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rear brakes on dirt bikes don't need fine modulation anyway, it's just an anchor you drop when needed

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah they just lock up anyways

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Ya know, I just forwarded that on to my other friend. He wants a dirt bike for himself and a grom for his girlfriend. He converted his CBR1000RR to track only and has no street bike now. It looks more capable across the board and is priced similarly.

Edit: That guy is set on a Grom and a china dirtbike. Idk. TW200 seems like a good move, more capable than the Grom. His money though! Still waiting on dirtbike guy to make up his mind.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 17, 2023

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
That friend is making the poor choice of buying the same Grom chinese clone I have instead of using it as a down payment on a real Grom or the TW200.

And now _I_ want a TW200. Been watching videos of that thing, it owns, holy gently caress.

The friend that wants a dirtbike is still undecided.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

It sounds like you should sell them your fake grom.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
TW200s own so hard.
Tell your friend to get a real Grom and put some 60/40's on it. I'm sure someone makes an ADV style tire for the Grom.
Or better yet, tell them to get a trail 125, that thing looks like a hoot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Remy Marathe posted:

It sounds like you should sell them your fake grom.

And buy a TW with it

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Phy posted:

And buy a TW with it

This would actually be a pretty smart idea.

My first bike was a 98 TW200. They're easy and cheap to work on, and very capable.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Got sniped on that Honda NX250 sadly. Would a 1990 Suzuki DR350S for €1800 be worth looking into?

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
It arrived at the dealer this morning, just need to wait for the registration

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Nice Honda!

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
In the market for a new bike. Last ~4 years I owned a Versys 650 (sold last week). Purchased that bike as a practical commuter and tourer and it did all that perfectly. I have been WFH for the last two years, which saw my rides of the Versys plummet. I think I put 6,000 miles on the Versys in the first 2 years and like 600 miles in the second 2 years.

The Versys had no personality, it was the quietest, most boring way to deliver ~60 horsepower. And now I have a hybrid hatchback as my practical vehicle, so the next bike gets to be a fun bike. I mostly live and ride in the city, so I'm looking for something to cafe race and run errands and do little joyrides with. I don't like modern sports bikes, I want this one to be as simple and mechanical of an experience as I can make it without buying something so old that I'll have to deal with carbs.

I'm not a Harley guy, but I actually find myself liking the Harley Forty-Eight. That kind of power delivery would be fun in the city and it's not a giant, for a Harley. I wish it weighed less and cost less, but I do like the dealer/mechanic/parts supply ecosystem that comes with it. I dislike the general Harley vibe. But it is a common bike, there are usually a handful of used ones for sale in the vicinity. I wonder what it's like to be some sort of self-hating Harley owner.

The Bonneville has been on my list of bikes to own for a long long time. I love the way they look. But they seem very polished and I'm worried that the power delivery would be like the Versys. So smooth and polished that it makes it boring. Super popular in the PNW, everyone has one, so mechanics and parts are well supplied I'd assume.

And there is the wild-card Royal Enfield 650 option that I have been considering. I worry that the cheapness means it'll be a rusty bucket filled with chipped plastic in a few years. And 47 horsepower is fine for the city, but will make any amount of highway riding uncomfortable. My first bike had about the same power and it wasn't a great feeling on the highway.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Fender fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 21, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A supermoto is huge fun in the city, you could look at a DRZ. Alternatively and more powerfully you could check out an earlier Hypermotard.

I really like my Scrambler though it's not in the same fun category as a DRZ.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Have you considered a W800?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CongoJack posted:

These are an amazingly good bike btw, far better than you would expect looking at them on paper

I will throw in the cb1100

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I have a '17 Harley Roadster I need to sell and feel very similarly about being a Harley guy but not a Harley Guy. I love the bike, but I want to ride too much for how uncomfortable it is whenever I'm on there for any amount of time.

I mostly find it irritating to ride around town, if I'm honest. If I can't go from 0-60 as fast as I can then why am I even on the Harley?

I also have a '23 Bonneville T120 that I am just loving in love with. I fully admit I'm a simp for that bike right now. The power delivery is really polite when you want it to be, but it has as much or more power than the Harley when you want to give it the beans.

You could look at the peppier, lighter Speed Twin if you like the Bonne but want more action. Thruxton is there, too.

Our other partner works for the Royal Enfield/scooter shop here in Portland so I have higher opinions than a lot of folks do when it comes to them.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Pinny posted:

It arrived at the dealer this morning, just need to wait for the registration

That looks sweet!

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Slavvy posted:

I will throw in the cb1100

There is actually one of those for sale out in the 'burbs. I went out & sat on it the other day, I liked it, it carries the weight of that engine well, but I wasn't ready to decide right then. And they wanted something like $11k out-the-door for a 2014, which seemed a bit much.

CongoJack posted:

Yes, but dismissed for reasons similar to the Enfield 650. Underpowered for where I'm at, and if I wanted to buy something that small I wouldn't buy the premium version which is what I see the W800 as. At the W800 price-point, I might as well buy the Triumph that I really want for just a bit more. They're also not super common in the PNW, so I'd be buying new most likely.

Geekboy posted:

I have a '17 Harley Roadster I need to sell and feel very similarly about being a Harley guy but not a Harley Guy. I love the bike, but I want to ride too much for how uncomfortable it is whenever I'm on there for any amount of time.

I mostly find it irritating to ride around town, if I'm honest. If I can't go from 0-60 as fast as I can then why am I even on the Harley?

I also have a '23 Bonneville T120 that I am just loving in love with. I fully admit I'm a simp for that bike right now. The power delivery is really polite when you want it to be, but it has as much or more power than the Harley when you want to give it the beans.

You could look at the peppier, lighter Speed Twin if you like the Bonne but want more action. Thruxton is there, too.

Our other partner works for the Royal Enfield/scooter shop here in Portland so I have higher opinions than a lot of folks do when it comes to them.

Thanks! This is exactly where I'm at. I'm going to go for a test-ride of the Harley, but I suspect I'm going to end up on a T120.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The dealership in Portland has a T120 Chrome if you want literally the same bike I have.

You can put less poo poo on it than I'm putting on mine for this trip.

Also, never discount the fun you can have on a scooter if you're just bopping around town.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Throwing in a vote for a supermoto, if all you're really going to be doing is blatting around town or going out to clear your head or something.

A DRZ-400SM would be good, but pandemic pricing has kept their prices higher than you'd expect.

If you're just going out and looking at stuff, give a Husky 701SM /KTM 690SMC a try.

The weakest point on them are the clutch slave cylinders, but they've issued a recall for used ones and the new ones have all been fine.

I love mine (had the clutch slave replaced twice), and it's a total blast to ride.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Getting a really big heavy bike just to ride around town doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Depends if you want to ride fast and crazy or slow and lazy

If you want to ride fast and lazy just get a scooter