Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite hosed up lil' guy in games?
This poll is closed.
Waluigi 36 29.27%
Waddle Dee 34 27.64%
Gollum 7 5.69%
Sonic 13 10.57%
freaky cartwheeling grey-skinned frog men from elden ring 28 22.76%
vectorman worm things that sometimes explode 5 4.07%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AOW4 DLC out today. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I actually just finished Strange Horticulture, which is a really neat little game about weird plants, and in the course of gathering more bizarre botany you have to do all sorts of simple deduction from clues your customers give you when they come to purchase odd greenery. Strong recommendation if you like funny flowers and some mild puzzling.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Mild puzzling, wild puzzling, off kilter puzzling, soothing puzzling, frantic puzzling, cherry and lime puzzling, goofy puzzling, serious puzzling, wordy puzzling, numerical puzzling, tumerical puzzling - I like the puzzling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I've been playing Ocarina of Time, first zelda I've played outside of botw and totk, and I spent ages in the first basement floor of the Deku Tree with no idea how to proceed because I had decided that it was impossible to carry a burning twig to destroy the cobweb covering up the door (it was not, in fact, impossible). And then in the next room I went back to being mad at Navi for treating me like an idiot.

I just recently finished Breath of the Wild (amazing game) and I went through 30 arrows and was getting mad as hell because the stupid bow of light they were TELLING me to use wasn't goddamn working what the hell is wrong with this stupid drat game I'm shooting the glowing light shut up Zelda this is the game's fault not mi-

You have to manually equip it.

:cripes:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So Direct rumours are stirrin'

https://twitter.com/Pyoro_ND/status/1670750019257872384

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's too early for them to announce Fire Emblem Echoes: Light of Jugdral so soon after Engage's release

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Phalanx remake lets go

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

you know how people were complaining about god of war ragnarok explaining puzzles to you after like 15 seconds, often not even giving you time to figure it out yourself before automatically telling you the solution?

they did that for people like DSP, who are so braindead stupid in the head that even the simplest puzzles in GOW 2016 were too much for them. so in ragnarok they LITERALLY used footage of DSP being a failure at 2016(blurring his face, even) as design influence which is why atreus or whoever will have often MULTIPLE lines of dialogue telling you exactly how to solve every puzzle

I normally would not care about an idiot like DSP but I hate that his awfulness actively harms game design this way

Here it is
https://twitter.com/LumpyTheCook/status/1406686258198417421

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This is enlightening me as to why the majority of puzzles in Tears of the Kingdom give the answer away almost immediately and, despite giving the player freedom to try to succeed in interesting and unintended ways, feels like there is absolutely no challenge whatsoever. Need to traverse something? Here's a half-built car with the necessary bits immediately next to it. Need to push something? Here's the one pushing item used and nothing else. Need to help that guy hold his sign up? Here's the exact shape of rock or lumber you need! I love the game to death but I wish half the puzzles didn't give away the answer before you even figured out what the puzzle was.

That said, I've watched enough friends get stuck on puzzles to know they might end up hating the game if they were any more difficult than they are and I'd sooner have everyone enjoy this game thoroughly than just me wanting a more difficult challenge. I'll just do everything in an unintended manner instead. It's not something 99.9% of other games can afford, like God of War, but whoever made these Zelda puzzles is blessed for letting me do it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 20, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Infinitum posted:

So Direct rumours are stirrin'
A rumour elsewhere that would correlate with this is that the classic is Chrono Trigger, in HD-2D?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Finally

Mother 3

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's gonna be the pixel reimagining, Mother 3.11 for Workgroups

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

lmao

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

DaveKap posted:

This is enlightening me as to why the majority of puzzles in Tears of the Kingdom give the answer away almost immediately and, despite giving the player freedom to try to succeed in interesting and unintended ways, feels like there is absolutely no challenge whatsoever. Need to traverse something? Here's a half-built car with the necessary bits immediately next to it. Need to push something? Here's the one pushing item used and nothing else. Need to help that guy hold his sign up? Here's the exact shape of rock or lumber you need! I love the game to death but I wish half the puzzles didn't give away the answer before you even figured out what the puzzle was.

I mean, imagine if totk DIDNT provide you with the materials necessary to overcome the obstacle. You’d have to either a) scrounge up the parts yourself, somehow, or b) default to the tried-and-true, one-size-fits-all puzzle solution (rocket shield)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think what they meant there is to add some unnecessary parts rather than take parts away.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

my one crippling weakness in video games is missing an obvious path or piece of a puzzle and wandering around trying to figure out how to advance/complete an area to get further. In my defense sometimes what I've missed is something obtuse or not too well sign posted, but most of the time it's just me constantly not looking in the right direction as I backtrack through multiple areas or comb over every inch of terrain trying to find something.

video games r hard. :negative:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
A lot of my problems stem for making up things and rules for games in my head that do not exist because I have no idea why I do.

For example: In xenogears the other night, I was in a battle that I assumed I had to lose because of the circumstances but there was nothing telling me this was the case and I proceeded to fail and had to do the previous two battles again and watch a cutscene again.

This happens a lot. Also reading words correctly and remembering things. Does not stop my enjoyment of games though! Love playing video games!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
With ToTK it's a bunch of playgrounds that you can play in however you want and if you choose to pay the admission fee, go to the playground, and then climb up a fire escape and go directly to the exit and go home, you are able to do that, but why do that? To me there is not much joy in figuring out how a puzzle is supposed to be solved and then doing that and moving on to the next one - it's more fun to think "will this work?" and then trying something that's obviously not the exact intended solution and having it work. The obvious solution is more like a skip button than the correct thing that you should always be doing.

edit: but also some of the "here's the problem, and here's the half finished car next to it" spots serve to introduce the player to new variations of contraptions (or highlight the fact that a certain contraption can overcome a certain obstacle), and the fact that you have to finish them yourself means they go into your autobuild history if you want it.

Volte fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 20, 2023

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Oh no. The Shadow Gambit demo is real good. Falling down that Desperados hole again...

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Games Forum posted:

A lot of my problems stem for making up things and rules for games in my head that do not exist because I have no idea why I do.

For example: In xenogears the other night, I was in a battle that I assumed I had to lose because of the circumstances but there was nothing telling me this was the case and I proceeded to fail and had to do the previous two battles again and watch a cutscene again.

This happens a lot. Also reading words correctly and remembering things. Does not stop my enjoyment of games though! Love playing video games!

In very famous and not all a flip game The Callisto Protocol I read, way, way too much into the Dodge mechanic tutorial and thought you had to react to which side an enemy was attacking you from and hit the opposite arrow key to dodge, based on the video shown in the tutorial. This is an incredibly tight timing window to react too if you do that, and you'll eat a lot of poo poo (like I did) doing it.

For all those wondering, you do not need to do that at all you just one need hold left or right without attacking and then alternate back and forth till the enemy stops. That's it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lol you're not the only one who thought that. It sure would make sense if that's how it worked though, wouldn't it? Wonder if that's another case of targeting the game at DSP.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Captain Invictus posted:

you know how people were complaining about god of war ragnarok explaining puzzles to you after like 15 seconds, often not even giving you time to figure it out yourself before automatically telling you the solution?

they did that for people like DSP, who are so braindead stupid in the head that even the simplest puzzles in GOW 2016 were too much for them. so in ragnarok they LITERALLY used footage of DSP being a failure at 2016(blurring his face, even) as design influence which is why atreus or whoever will have often MULTIPLE lines of dialogue telling you exactly how to solve every puzzle

I normally would not care about an idiot like DSP but I hate that his awfulness actively harms game design this way

lmao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Finally, a New Super Mario Bros

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It’s gonna be a remake of Super Wonder Boy 3

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dabir posted:

Lol you're not the only one who thought that. It sure would make sense if that's how it worked though, wouldn't it? Wonder if that's another case of targeting the game at DSP.

This actually makes me feel a bit better lol.

Tbh I think it was more a case of overanalyzing the video. Once I figured it out it certainly made the game a lot easier.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HD-2D Chrono Trigger

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If the direct were tomorrow it’d be announced by now wouldn’t it? I don’t t trust these twitter people

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Finally, we can play Age of Wonders on our switch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dabir posted:

Think it was more a band aid on their combat system being fundamentally broken than anything, as that would be extremely punishing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/1671110654399488004?s=19

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Waffleman_ posted:

HD-2D Chrono Trigger

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Waffleman_ posted:

4d3d3d3-HD Chrono Trigger

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s been a while since we had a 2D Mario game not counting Mario Maker 2 so I’m actually ok with this assuming it’s true

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I can't believe they're remaking Ducktales again

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1671155958448529408?s=20

there ya go

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
drat alright let's go

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope it’s not a Mario RPG remake. I just want a new game please

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Switch Pro 2 for sure

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I can't believe they're remaking Ducktales again

Ducktales was on the NES!

hatty posted:

I hope it’s not a Mario RPG remake. I just want a new game please

I want a Mario RPG remake, but with modern trimmings on some of the combat systems

Want to keep that plasticine look of the coverart. Link's Awakening remake is a good example of it

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

drat bowser looking bumpier than I remember