Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Matinee posted:

Ive just realised the possibility that some kind of failsafe worked and they were able to surface but now they're just sat there bobbing along without communications and nobody knows where the gently caress they are but they're going to suffocate anyway because there's no way to open the door from the inside.

Yeah, if they've drifted from the sub tender's immediate vicinity, locating the surfaced sub isn't going to be easy. It doesn't appear to be painted in any kind of highly contrasting colour, it's quite small and it sits very low in the water so spotting it from the air isn't going to be terribly easy, doubly so in any kind of waves.

If they lost control and surfaced ~somewhere~ then they have already drifted quite a long way away from some unknown starting position, and will keep drifting further away every moment. Even if they had search and rescue boats immediately ready in the area, that feels like a daunting task, and considering this is a libertarian captain of industry, I don't know if I'd bet on those being anywhere in the area.

How much oxygen do they have again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
would like to take a moment to remind everyone that over 300 pakistani migrants died when their boat capsized off the coast of greece last week

i wonder which incident is getting more airtime

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Okay, yesterday I posted how I didn't know if the sub had its own way of surfacing without the platform thing. First it didn't look like it really had any kind of ballast tanks it could blow with pressurized air. It had some kind of tank on the outside, but that looked too small for this purpose. Second, and more relevantly, they had ballast weights on the outside, which can often be released to allow them to surface, but these were like resting on fixed hooks and the skids on the bottom of the sub. I thought there was no chance these were intended to be removed for deballasting because it would involve the crew desperately rocking the sub around trying to get them off, which seems deeply stupid.

It turns out they did the deeply stupid thing lol.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So many possibilities of horrible fates, it would be better in the old X-COM timeline and the passengers were abducted by underwater aliens for experimentation.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.

Blow posted:

Can a mod change the thread title to Submersible on expedition to Titanic missing please?

My bad 🫤

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

David wife beater Pogue helped lay the trap

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Real gamers don't use that Logitech piece of poo poo controller to operate their submersibles.

If they used the pride of 2001, they would've been fine:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

ELTON JOHN posted:

would like to take a moment to remind everyone that over 300 pakistani migrants died when their boat capsized off the coast of greece last week

I saw this being referred to on social media but no one was posting links to the story so thanks. :(

I don’t understand the technical parts but I do watch the Nautilus ROV dives live. When they send the main ROV down there’s a second one that “hovers” above it to assist with positioning/movement and has its own camera. The whole thing is attached by a big cable to the ship. I have no idea how feasible that is irl with deep-diving subs with humans in it.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Let's say they do have some ballast situation going on. I feel like they would have issues from ascending too quickly because I doubt it would have any way to slow it down. So if they don't die from an implosion, lack of oxygen, or freezing to death they would definitely die from the bends.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

By popular demand posted:

I got the impression that they failed the 4k and then decided that certification is for losers let's go 6k!

but grover stairs

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

ELTON JOHN posted:

I have heard of this a few times but I didn't find it nearly as funny or ironic as an idiot billionaire in a poo poo submersible drowning next to the Titanic.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Death By SnuSnu posted:

Let's say they do have some ballast situation going on. I feel like they would have issues from ascending too quickly because I doubt it would have any way to slow it down. So if they don't die from an implosion, lack of oxygen, or freezing to death they would definitely die from the bends.
They're in a pressure vessel, they won't get the bends.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Death By SnuSnu posted:

Since you arent directly exposed to the ocean pressure, the bends wouldn't be a problem I don't think.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 20, 2023

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Ah ok. I wasn't quite sure how that worked

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Orcas did this.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

When experts are saying there's "some hope" that a rescue vessel could even reach the depths the sub is expected to be trapped in (before they can even start attempting to rescue it, even if they can find it it), it's not looking too hot, is it?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Death By SnuSnu posted:

...they would definitely die from the bends.

Would they though? Assumable they have a way of controlling how much pressure is in the subs cabin, so even if the rise up quickly you think they would be able to depressurize the cabin slower, or just have them all exit directly into a decompression chamber or what not (although with the their exit being bolted on that seems like it might be a bit of a logistical problem).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Death By SnuSnu posted:

Ah ok. I wasn't quite sure how that worked

You can't have a non-pressure vessel at those depths, you'd be compressed into meat paste. Even if you could survive at those depths, depressurization would take who knows how long.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You can't have a non-pressure vessel at those depths, you'd be compressed into meat paste. Even if you could survive at those depths, depressurization would take who knows how long.

Well if you've got enough chutzpah and a can-do attitude, depressurization can be done in milliseconds!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

They super duper dead

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

stealie72 posted:

^^^

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

When experts are saying there's "some hope" that a rescue vessel could even reach the depths the sub is expected to be trapped in (before they can even start attempting to rescue it, even if they can find it it), it's not looking too hot, is it?

Yeah likely there isn't an rov they can get there quickly. I think there are only a few that are rated for that depth on the first place.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BBC reporting they've been doing radar searches and the Coast Guard is moving their search to deep waters now and there are sonar ships coming to the scene. Sounds like the searchers have pretty much given up on the theory that it's surfaced.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Yeah likely there isn't an rov they can get there quickly. I think there are only a few that are rated for that depth on the first place.

Yeah, that's one of the very scary things about poo poo like this. The oceans are HUGE, undersea rescue ships aren't plentiful, and they move around fairly slowly, so unless you get super lucky and get trapped close to where one happens to be, it might not be mathematically possible to get one to the location in time before everyone dies from not having any air to breathe.

I was listening to a podcast about submarine rescues a few weeks ago and it doesn't sound amazing. The gist was that "yeah we can theoretically rescue people from subs underwater but only in very limited cases because most times the subs are too deep for rescue ships, or too far from any that could get there in time".

Also an expert on BBC just said that the tender lost contact with the sub "about 2/3 of the way" on the descent which sounds incredibly ominous, especially because 2/3 of 6km is 4km, which is the depth their subs were failing at previously.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 20, 2023

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Most excellent thread title change.

:hfive:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Well if you've got enough chutzpah and a can-do attitude, depressurization can be done in milliseconds!
This made me laugh like a dummy. Thank you.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Fansy posted:

David wife beater Pogue helped lay the trap

holy poo poo the details

quote:

Tech writer David Pogue, wife, charged in Westport dispute
Tom Cleary, Staff Writer
May 19, 2011

New York Times tech guru David Pogue and his wife have been charged with disorderly conduct following a domestic dispute Monday at their Westport home that police said turned physical.

Pogue, 48, and Jennifer Pogue, 47, were issued the summonses following the apparent altercation at their home on Woody Lane about 10:30 p.m. Monday, police said.

The Pogues are the parents of three children -- ages 13, 12 and 9 -- and the dispute apparently erupted when Jennifer Pogue paid a visit on a night that David Pogue had visitation rights with the children, police said.

An argument ensued, which Jennifer Pogue decided to record on her iPhone, police said. David Pogue contends that, during a struggle over the phone, "When he wouldn't let go, she bit his arm," said police Capt. Sam Arciola.

Jennifer Pogue, however, told police she was lying in bed reading a book when her husband took her phone and struck her in the head.

Police did not seize the phone for evidence, but the video was reviewed before officers departed. "The recording substantiated some of the claims," Arciola said.

David Pogue happened to be speaking Thursday at a conference at the Shelton Marriott to benefit a charity dedicated to domestic violence victims.

Unaware that news about the charges had been posted by the Westport News and picked up by national media outlets such as the Huffington Post and Gawker, Pogue told reporters after the speech that Jennifer Pogue would soon be his ex-wife.

"Not really my ex yet," he said. "It's getting really messy."

When asked about the charges, Pogue said he had no comment.

"I don't think that's appropriate for the forum," he said.

David Pogue's lawyer, Mark D. Sherman, said in an emailed statement that he expects the charges against David Pogue to be dropped.

"The case arises from a brief confrontation between David and his wife," he said. "Obviously divorces can get emotional and we expect David to be cleared of this charge in due time."

They both appeared on the charges Tuesday in Norwalk Superior Court.

Case files in Superior Court say that Pogue and his wife were issued partial protective orders prohibiting them from assaulting, harassing or stalking each other. They are scheduled to return to court June 22.

Pogue frequently makes references to his family in his discussions and in YouTube videos.

On Thursday afternoon, Pogue, an energetic speaker with more than 1.3 million Twitter followers, devoted part of his talk to the viral nature of the internet.

He talked about news spreading rapidly via Twitter and Facebook just as those social media networks were buzzing with news of the alleged dispute.

Pogue appeared to be in good spirits and even used his background as a Broadway musical conducter, performing a medley of original, comedic songs on a piano.

The columnist was speaking at an event called the Technology Today Business Forum at the Courtyard by Marriott Hotel. He said donated his services for what he called a "good cause," as the event was held to raise money for FSW, a Bridgeport-based social services organization formerly known as Family Services Woodfield.

Included in the services the charity provides is support for women and families who are dealing with domestic violence.

This is the second time in as many months that police have responded to an incident involving Pogue.

After an out-of-town talk in April, Pogue returned to find that his car had been vandalized at the Greens Farms Railroad Station. According the personal blog of Dan Woog, a Westport News columnist, all of the tires, wheels and rims were swiped overnight from Pogue's Honda Fit left in the rail depot's parking lot. But the subcompact was still jacked up where the wheel thieves had left it.

Since 2000, Pogue has been the personal-technology columnist for the New York Times. The "State of the Art" column appears every Thursday on the front page of the Business section.

He also writes a daily Times blog, "Pogue's Posts," authoring a weekly e-mail Times newsletter, "From the Desk of David Pogue," and shoots humorous web videos for the newspaper.

He wrote a book called "The World According to Twitter," that was published in 2009. It featured daily questions he asked his Twitter followers and the answers they provided.

Pogue, a former Stamford resident, also appears frequently on radio and TV. He appears weekly on CNBC's "Power Lunch," monthly on CNBC's "On the Money," and several times a year on the "CBS News Sunday Morning." He has also appeared frequently on NPR's "Morning Edition" radio news magazine.

Prior to working at the Times, Pogue wrote several books in the "For Dummies" series, including editions for Opera, Classical Music and Magic. He has also created and written the "Missing Manual" series, which provides manuals for products and programs such as the iPhone, Microsoft Office, Mac OS X and Dreamweaver. He has also served as a columnist for Macworld Magazine.

Pogue, who lectures widely, gave a talk on the latest technology gift ideas last November before a full house at the Westport Public Library. At the time, he said the iPad was a top tech choice for a holiday gift.

Often billed in his appearances as a "gadget guru," he also has addressed hometown civic groups, like the Westport Rotary

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

it's not looking too hot, is it?

:hmmno:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Blow posted:

Can a mod change the thread title to Submersible on expedition to Titanic missing please?

20,000 Leaks under the Sea.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Even if by some miracle they manage to find the submersible intact on the ocean floor, good luck trying to recover it from there.

Also finding a bottomed out submersible of that size is very difficult even with modern side scanning sonars.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

GD_American posted:

holy poo poo the details

ive heard of method acting but method journalism? goddamn

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

ThinkTank posted:

I would not go to the bottom of the ocean on the submarine that the certification agencies thought was unsafe, personally.

This is why you'll never be a billionaire.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
This is just my opinion but I think whatever happens the people on that vessel deserve a refund.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Commander Jebus posted:

Even if by some miracle they manage to find the submersible intact on the ocean floor, good luck trying to recover it from there.

Also finding a bottomed out submersible of that size is very difficult even with modern side scanning sonars.

Yeah, basically their best scenario at this point is they were instantly killed when the pressure vessel failed. Every other scenario is a nightmare.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Commander Jebus posted:

Even if they find it on the seafloor, the thing doesn't have hatches of any sort that a rescue vehicle could lock on to. They'd have to haul the entire sub to the surface

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lmao the nearest other ship is there to lay pipe.

This is the funniest poo poo to happen in ages. Thank you idiot submersible dude for bringing the most bountiful of lols.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Commander Jebus posted:

A billionaire's life is at stake here, man. We have to at least try.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
How long has it actually been now.

And they have 96hrs?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

quote:

The Pogues are the parents of three children

do they all share them or what

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, basically their best scenario at this point is they were instantly killed when the pressure vessel failed. Every other scenario is a nightmare.

Oh for sure. For us in military subs only like less than 5 % of the world's oceans was in recoverable waters, which I didn't mind so much at the time because in any other scenario it would be quick. We had rescue stores, rations, and a USN certified docking and escape tower and I still didn't like our odds of being rescued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Wee posted:

How long has it actually been now.

And they have 96hrs?

The Coast Guard estimates I saw were saying that they have until Friday morning at the absolute latest. Likely they have even less air than that, but Friday is when they can officially classify them as dead.