Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
People deciding that Diablo 4 is flawed because they'd rather be playing a different game is hilarious.

Playing a Monster Hunter game for the first time, am I really just killing the same dinosaurs and dragons forever? Just got Castlevania, is there really nothing but Dracula in the end game? I'm marathoning JRPGs but I just keep killing God and some optional super bosses, where is my end game loop?

Even the idealized D3 end game loop was clear bounties to clear rifts to clear greater rifts to farm keys to kill double ubers, forever. D2 is even shallower but at least they added ubers and D2R added the prototype for Helltides, lmao. Farming Hell to get stronger to continue killing things in Hell. Now that I think about it D4 probably hosed up by not giving you an excuse to redo the campaign on rising difficulty levels.

I get that dungeons/NM dungeons feel a bit hollow in a way and I'd compare them to the more satisfying Strongholds and say yeah, content is better with more design care put in instead of being made by an AI with some presets. Bloodborne campaign vs Chalice dungeons. Unfortunately devs don't have a way to produce content faster than gamers burn through it. Hmm.

Ok, what if Diablo had extensive mod tools to create dungeons and share them and somehow everybody didn't just make a hallway with monster cap number of elites? Super Diablo Maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

LifeLynx posted:

The main thing I miss from D2's endgame to D4's is the gear. In D2, I was looking for specific uniques, set items, and runes for runewords. They had unique abilities, and they had character. In D4, I'm already fully geared with all the aspects I want by level 55 or so, and I'm just looking for better rolls on rare bases I already have.

Do legendary items have better rolls on bonuses in general, or are they literally rares with aspects tacked on?

Yeah but, that was much much later in the game when exceptional and elite uniques and sets were introduced, and runewords. D2 Classic was just rares for most classes. and a handful of useful uniques just for necro and sorceress.

They're just doing it allover again and to be fair, I cannot blame them. Whats different is that now there's tons more method to our gameplay and we've hit that "what now" moment a tad too soon compared to like 23years ago

Season 1 is mid-late July so... Dont burnout till then!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Doomykins posted:

People deciding that Diablo 4 is flawed because they'd rather be playing a different game is hilarious.

Playing a Monster Hunter game for the first time, am I really just killing the same dinosaurs and dragons forever? Just got Castlevania, is there really nothing but Dracula in the end game? I'm marathoning JRPGs but I just keep killing God and some optional super bosses, where is my end game loop?

Even the idealized D3 end game loop was clear bounties to clear rifts to clear greater rifts to farm keys to kill double ubers, forever. D2 is even shallower but at least they added ubers and D2R added the prototype for Helltides, lmao. Farming Hell to get stronger to continue killing things in Hell. Now that I think about it D4 probably hosed up by not giving you an excuse to redo the campaign on rising difficulty levels.

I get that dungeons/NM dungeons feel a bit hollow in a way and I'd compare them to the more satisfying Strongholds and say yeah, content is better with more design care put in instead of being made by an AI with some presets. Bloodborne campaign vs Chalice dungeons. Unfortunately devs don't have a way to produce content faster than gamers burn through it. Hmm.

Ok, what if Diablo had extensive mod tools to create dungeons and share them and somehow everybody didn't just make a hallway with monster cap number of elites? Super Diablo Maker.

Super diablo maker dungeons sounds rad as gently caress. Especially with player designed affixes instead of the pack of poo poo rear end blizzard ones.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Mr. Pickles posted:

It seems hardcore is the only choice now but they specifically made the game in a way where you will just die to anything out of the blue (eg fires dropping from the sky in Hellrift). Imagine dying to that as a 80+ hrdcore. Not my thing, IDK.

Stack armour/life and you're basically immortal to anything thats not high level NM dungeons or uber lilith

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

LifeLynx posted:

The main thing I miss from D2's endgame to D4's is the gear. In D2, I was looking for specific uniques, set items, and runes for runewords. They had unique abilities, and they had character. In D4, I'm already fully geared with all the aspects I want by level 55 or so, and I'm just looking for better rolls on rare bases I already have.

Diablo 3 was like that for about a year, then they added in a poo poo ton of cool poo poo. Every time I came back it had something pretty awesome to do and a new grind, new ways to augment gear, etc. I see a ton of room for Diablo 4 in this area.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Pickles posted:

Not sure what to do with the game. I like playing it, but it really seems as if anything I do in the high levels is a waste of time like running in a hamsterwheel. Like OK I got 790+ gear with proper stupid aspects on and whatnot. I can spam world bosses and hellrifts for materials and I can do Nightmare Dungeons. To what end though? Meh.

I wanted to go for hardcore, but the game is just too erratic to survive unless you play like 100% cautiously all the time, which does not appeal to me. Reaching 100 in hardcore looks like an impossible task as I mostly play after work when I am tired and cannot give the game proper clarity of mind to stay alive.

Play another character or wait for season 1

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

It’s odd to me that people prefer d2 endgame when it’s just farm the exact same bosses for 10,000 runs.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Wuxi posted:

Stack armour/life and you're basically immortal to anything thats not high level NM dungeons or uber lilith

Fat chance Im gonna stop playing, being a diehard fan since 1996. I'll take you up on this and just hope it works.

Im gonn try hardcore as barbarian opting for Rend build post 50

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 20, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Philthy posted:

Diablo 3 was like that for about a year, then they added in a poo poo ton of cool poo poo. Every time I came back it had something pretty awesome to do and a new grind, new ways to augment gear, etc. I see a ton of room for Diablo 4 in this area.

If people aren't satisfied with the current grinds of paragon boards/glyph XP/item drops, will adding a parallel similar grind really cinch it?

Maybe it's because D3 had super gems that did cool things and were easy and rapid to level and paragon boards and levels feel like engagement and playtime metric design for MMO brain.

D4 is missing a Cube and associated widgets... the occultist just ain't the same.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

Do legendary items have better rolls on bonuses in general, or are they literally rares with aspects tacked on?

youre thinking of d2 after an entire expansion + patches and multiple ladder seasons. roll a non-expansion character rn and actually remember what d2 gearing is like before lod lol

but also d4 has uniques, they only drop in wt3 and 4 and are much rarer than legendaries, and they have unique non-transferable abilities. last night i got the gloves that makes corpse explosion create skeleton suicide bombers instead.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hello internet posted:

It’s odd to me that people prefer d2 endgame when it’s just farm the exact same bosses for 10,000 runs.

its mystifying. i cant actually think of any arpg that launched with a real end game like this and its still not good enough bcos its not the same as games with 10 years worth of content and development stacked on top. some ppl just cant be pleased no matter what.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Stux posted:

youre thinking of d2 after an entire expansion + patches and multiple ladder seasons. roll a non-expansion character rn and actually remember what d2 gearing is like before lod lol

but also d4 has uniques, they only drop in wt3 and 4 and are much rarer than legendaries, and they have unique non-transferable abilities. last night i got the gloves that makes corpse explosion create skeleton suicide bombers instead.

I think the problem with current Unqiues is, unless you are a Necro or a Druid then for the most part they suck all kinds of rear end. Also yes I know about Shako/Grandfather etc but those are apparently so rare they realistically don't exist.
It's also kind of funny how there are unique gloves specially for WW Barb, which always roll AS (AS doesn't do poo poo for WW Builds).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Orange Crush Rush posted:

It's also kind of funny how there are unique gloves specially for WW Barb, which always roll AS (AS doesn't do poo poo for WW Builds).

this is a real blizzard classic

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Yeah, what we’re seeing right now for gameplay and itemization is intentionally only 80% of the game. People are saying the beta had another world tier that they clearly pulled out for use in season 1.

The core of d4 seems to be very good which is what matters at this point in the game’s lifecycle

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Season 3 will have chatgpt powered lorath narrating everything u do in dramatic fashion, bastion style. He will tell you how cool you are. He will read you a bedtime story.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I think the problem with current Unqiues is, unless you are a Necro or a Druid then for the most part they suck all kinds of rear end. Also yes I know about Shako/Grandfather etc but those are apparently so rare they realistically don't exist.

this all sounds in line for a diablo game, dont get the complaint.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

External Organs posted:

Season 3 will have chatgpt powered lorath narrating everything u do in dramatic fashion, bastion style. He will tell you how cool you are. He will read you a bedtime story.

I hope he occasionally brings up Squidward’s onlyfans content

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

wemgo posted:

I hope he occasionally brings up Squidward’s onlyfans content

It's a whole world tier

Edit: hole world tier

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

we need to go back to good, worthwhile uniques.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Stux posted:

In PoE the fire absorb would plug into some weird self damage meme build.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Also runewords sucked, farming for poo poo sucked. Chaos runs were okay.

I want the "runewords" they teased at the D4 announcement which were like weird customizable trigger systems you could slot in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

%5 mana stolen per hit is so broken it would be like one of the most powerful arpg items currently

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Stux posted:

I know they can't all be winners, but like every single Unqiue you can find on Sorc for example is just much, much worse then even a mediocre Rare/Legendary and I don't think that's good game design.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

wemgo posted:

Yeah, what we’re seeing right now for gameplay and itemization is intentionally only 80% of the game. People are saying the beta had another world tier that they clearly pulled out for use in season 1.

The core of d4 seems to be very good which is what matters at this point in the game’s lifecycle

Yeah but something about it feels artifically restricted. Like baffling amount of art assets but no time for more items?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Vic posted:

Yeah but something about it feels artifically restricted. Like baffling amount of art assets but no time for more items?

Maybe. The art team and the item mechanic team I assume are different teams.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know they can't all be winners, but like every single Unqiue you can find on Sorc for example is just much, much worse then even a mediocre Rare/Legendary and I don't think that's good game design.

They use the chest armor for the vacuum effect.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Art team is probably the people they fire when the game ships

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Swilo posted:

Outside of whether you can equip an item or not, the level requirement is entirely meaningless. They specifically called out in the stream on Friday that they poorly anticipated so many players focusing on that (??? like in every previous game) instead of the item power rating which is what actually determines everything.

It sounds like adding a level limit to items was pointless in the first place. Maybe they should have a world tier limit but why limit items to a certain level if it makes no difference?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Art team is probably the people they fire when the game ships

:-(

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

adding new items and aspects is going to be easier than having to ros the entire game to make it functional so it seems fine to me

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, don't take my post about missing the D2 endgame farming as a complaint about D4. I know this is only the beginning. It makes sense they'd focus on aspects and such now rather than making wacky uniques that are harder to balance.

hello internet posted:

Part of me liked that, D2's loot system worked in a way that I'd do those runs on a high level character and get gear that worked on lower level characters. When I played D2R while waiting for D4, my Javazon was getting really good Sorceress uniques and sets by pure chance, and that made me create a Sorceress so I could use them. In WT3 and 4 I'm getting some non-Rogue stuff dropping, but rares are so generic I don't have that "Oooh, that's the best-in-slot for a Barbarian, now I need to make one!" excitement. Which is good in a way, because I can wait for season 1 to start a new character. I only know what's good in D2 because I played the hell out of every character.

Again, sounds like a typical internet complaint, is more optimism for the future of Diablo.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah hand-me-downs are really restrictive. I'd love to share loot with friends too, that part is basically gone in D4.

D3 had the gems of ease at least.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I feel like endgame itemization in this game needs a lot of work on Blizzard's part.

In 8 hours of play, I'm lucky if I find a single upgrade, at level 70 in tier 21 dungeons. It's disheartening. I am nowhere near fully geared, still using a mix of normal and sacred legendaries, with 1 unique thrown in the mix.

In d3 I remember you would find decent gear fairly quickly. Armor sets, even if poorly rolled, would net you huge upgrades when you found the pieces you wanted. The unique properties on rings and other items made gearing up really fun and exciting. In 8 hours of play you would find a number of upgrades.

The only way to advance in the endgame at this stage is finding the 0.01% of yellow items lucky enough to roll all 4 stats you're looking for (nevermind the 0.0001% of items with actual good rolls), and then turning them into generic legendaries. When I find a unique, more often than not I'm disappointed because what it offers, even if well rolled, isn't as good as what a generic legendary affix can give me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you in wt4?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

Are you in wt4?

Absolutely.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also if nothing else you can be upgrading by leveling your glyphs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I agree 8 hours is a long time

In Poe at that relative point in the game nothing good ever drops (as an item) but you also make micro progress by gaining currency to trade or craft with

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I feel like 8 hours of glyph exp shouldn't be ignored as incremental improvements even if it doesn't feel as good

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

I feel like 8 hours of glyph exp shouldn't be ignored as incremental improvements even if it doesn't feel as good

I never said anything about leveling glyphs, which are definitely solid for improvement. I referred strictly to endgame itemization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Doomykins posted:

Maybe it's because D3 had super gems that did cool things and were easy and rapid to level and paragon boards and levels feel like engagement and playtime metric design for MMO brain.

The acceleration phase to the real game is short and the real game phase is long. It's a pretty good trend if you just want to have fun playing games.