Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I have a Vizio soundbar with Dolby Atmos support for my audio setup in my living room. I don't think I've ever noticed the Dolby Atmos aspect of it, even playing content that supposedly supports it. Over the past few months I've noticed that it's been cutting audio out whenever there's any silence whatsoever coming from the input more and more often. This has been especially noticeable during my Tears of the Kingdom playthrough where audio will just drop for a good 15-20 seconds every time I finish a shrine. So...I'm looking to replace it.

I would like to start with a receiver and a 3.1 speaker setup, with the possibility of upgrading to a 5.1 setup over time. Besides my Switch, the caveat is my living room has an XBox Series X, PS5 and a gaming PC all attached to an LG C1 which supports 4k 120 Hz over HDMI (even if only the gaming PC an really hit those numbers). Does anyone have any recommendations on a receiver that has at least four HDMI 2.1 inputs that support a full 4K 120 Hz passthrough?

Also I have no idea where to start for speakers/a subwoofer so recommendations there would be appreciated as well. I think my budget might cap out at $1k.

Your switch doesn't need a 4k120 hdmi input.

Denon S760H is the least expensive receiver that has hdmi 2.1 inputs. It has 6 hdmi inputs, 3 of which are hdmi 2.1. Put your switch on a hdmi 2.0 one.

Is that 1k budget including the receiver or just for the speakers / subwoofer? Gonna get real tight if it's the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I would do a 2.0 system at a $1k budget.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Your switch doesn't need a 4k120 hdmi input.

Cool, I'm aware, but thanks. Just a bit of future thinking just-in-case the Switch gets replaced with a future console or something that can actually utilize an HDMI 2.1 port. Though realistically with a gaming PC attached to the same TV I don't know if I even need the XSX going to an HDMI 2.1 port either.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Denon S760H is the least expensive receiver that has hdmi 2.1 inputs. It has 6 hdmi inputs, 3 of which are hdmi 2.1. Put your switch on a hdmi 2.0 one.

Is that 1k budget including the receiver or just for the speakers / subwoofer? Gonna get real tight if it's the former.

KillHour posted:

I would do a 2.0 system at a $1k budget.

I can't tell if I accidentally stumbled into the Mac thread or not. Ideally it would be for the receiver and initials speakers/subwoofer for a 3.1 setup. If a grand can't hit that...I might roll the dice with another soundbar because $500 got me where I'm at now and besides the sound dropping out a bunch it's been leagues better than my TV speakers, with a subwoofer, for half the cost. :stare:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Regarding the sound dropping out: are you using optical out? Sometimes those go into sleep mode super fast if there's extremely low volume / no sound. It's probably not that, but doesn't hurt to ask.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 20, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Might be better, take advantages of advances in soundbar technology, if you’re happy with what you have already.

Otherwise I’d agree and say cheapest denon you can get and whatever 2.0 speakers sound best to you because receivers are just damned expensive right now compared to before pandemic

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Regarding the sound dropping out: are you using optical out? Sometimes those go into sleep mode super fast if there's extremely low volume / no sound. It's probably not that, but doesn't hurt to ask.

I am not using optical out from my TV to my soundbar. It's hooked up to my TV using an HDMI cable via the labeled eARC HDMI port. The sound dropping out isn't so bad for inputs going to the TV and going to the soundbar, maybe a couple seconds at worst on switching inputs. The 15-20 second dropouts happen whenever the sound going into the soundbar HDMI passthrough port gets too low. Coincidentally to my complaint: the input going into my soundbar happens to be coming from my Switch since my soundbar doesn't support the same HDMI 2.1 input as the other ports on my TV.

I just want to play Tears of the Kingdom without my audio cutting out all the time. :sigh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Cool, I'm aware, but thanks. Just a bit of future thinking just-in-case the Switch gets replaced with a future console or something that can actually utilize an HDMI 2.1 port. Though realistically with a gaming PC attached to the same TV I don't know if I even need the XSX going to an HDMI 2.1 port either.

I can't tell if I accidentally stumbled into the Mac thread or not. Ideally it would be for the receiver and initials speakers/subwoofer for a 3.1 setup. If a grand can't hit that...I might roll the dice with another soundbar because $500 got me where I'm at now and besides the sound dropping out a bunch it's been leagues better than my TV speakers, with a subwoofer, for half the cost. :stare:

A receiver with 6 hdmi 2.1 inputs is ridiculously expensive. It's either 1(lol), 3 or 6 for some reason. If the next nintendo console supports hdmi 2.1, then you are probably better off getting a hdmi switch and plugging your consoles into that. Then just select whichever is needed at the time.

The receiver alone is going to eat up about half your budget, so that doesn't leave much left for 3 decent speakers and a sub.

I would suggest either going with a 2.0 or 3.0 set up at the moment and getting a sub later or just getting another soundbar with a sub.
Or hopefully someone can help you figure out how to prevent your soundbar from going to sleep when the volume gets really low :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 20, 2023

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KillHour posted:

While we're on the subject, I'm curious what people would pick for a pair of $2k front speakers.

I think I'd strongly consider these

https://www.wharfedaleusa.com/produ...&pr_seq=uniform
I am married to the Bowers & Wilkins brand now and recommend whatever they offer around that price point. I am a slut for B&W. The clarity is just unmatched.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Does your TV support eARC? If so I would get a cheaper receiver without 2.1 support.

As for speakers, unless you get used, the sound you will get out of a pair of $800 speakers will be far better than what you can get out of $800 worth of 3.1 speakers, hands down.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Vizio has jusy poo poo the bed with their soundbsrs over the last 3-4 years. The audio dropout is a pretty common problem across the line.
I had one kf their expensive Elevate bars and the thing would just screetch at format changes. They've delayed a firmware update for what was a flagship model for years now.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I can't tell if I accidentally stumbled into the Mac thread or not. Ideally it would be for the receiver and initials speakers/subwoofer for a 3.1 setup.
You can be flippant but it does cost a bit to get set. The advantage is you can just roll the speakers forward if you get a new receiver or :shepspends: yourself some new speakers

Here's a build that I wouldn't want but meets your price range.

Dayton Audio T652 Dual 6-1/2" Woofers and 5/8" Dome Tweeter 2-Way Tower Speaker Pair - 30" Inches Tall - 90 Watts RMS, 150 Watts Max, 6 Ohms Impedance (4 to 8 Ohms Compatible)

NEUMI CS5 Center Channel Speaker, Dual 5-Inch Woofers, 1-Inch Tweeter, Dark Wood, Single

Denon AVR-S760H 7.2-Channel Home Theater AV Receiver 8K Video Ultra HD 4K/120 - (Renewed)

Jamo Studio Series S 808 Subwoofer (Black)

75+160+350+150 ... 735 before taxes.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 20, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I would get the receiver, a pair of Sony SSCS5's for your fronts, a Sony SSCS8 center channel to match the L/R, and find the best used Subwoofer you can secondhand on your local buy/sell's or usaudiomart to fill out your budget. And then down the line move the SSCS5's to be your rear speakers and get some nice floor standers or bookshelf speakers to replace them. You'll have a vastly superior experience with those Sony's and an okay used sub over pretty much any sound bar

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I am married to the Bowers & Wilkins brand now and recommend whatever they offer around that price point. I am a slut for B&W. The clarity is just unmatched.

I've only got one pair of older ones so I'm running purely off of internet chatter but isn't that clarity in the current series just the tweeter running like 5dB hot?

Caveat: I don't necessarily think this is bad and generally think the obsession with ruler flat response is a weird technical dick measuring contest to get to the most boring sounding speaker possible.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Though realistically with a gaming PC attached to the same TV I don't know if I even need the XSX going to an HDMI 2.1 port either.
The Series X and PS5 both have games that switch to 4K120 for smooth 40fps modes. Both also have variable frame rate support over HDMI 2.1 (Series X since launch, PS5 got it in a patch last year). As far as native 4K120 I'm only aware of Ori 2 and Psychonauts 2 on the Series X but there's deffo more. You need those ports.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DoesNotCompute posted:

I've only got one pair of older ones so I'm running purely off of internet chatter but isn't that clarity in the current series just the tweeter running like 5dB hot?

Yeah, they're tuned for rich old audiophiles with hearing loss.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If I had under $700 to spend on speakers I would definitely go 2.0 and save any remaining dollars for the future. Even if you went 3.0 you'd want to spend good money on the center since once you go that way it's where almost all the sound comes from. So I would disagree with the suggestion of a $70 center channel.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
My first setup (after many different speakers for my computer) was a $1000 budget. I bought the cheapest receiver I could find, I think it was about $180 and refurbished. With the $800 remaining I got two Sierra-1's (https://ascendacoustics.com/)

15 years later, and many home theater upgrades, those two Sierra-1's are still my main speakers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KillHour posted:

Does your TV support eARC? If so I would get a cheaper receiver without 2.1 support.

As for speakers, unless you get used, the sound you will get out of a pair of $800 speakers will be far better than what you can get out of $800 worth of 3.1 speakers, hands down.

If op can wait for a sale, they could get three Q150 for ~$500. Let’s say they use the other $500 to either get a budget receiver and an ultrabudget or used sub that get sold in a year or three, or a used/older receiver, or whatever they can make work depending on what’s available to them.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DoesNotCompute posted:

Caveat: I don't necessarily think this is bad and generally think the obsession with ruler flat response is a weird technical dick measuring contest to get to the most boring sounding speaker possible.
This is because there was one dumbass youtube review of the 606 S2 where the guy whines that they are sibilant. Somehow this became a meme. I bought a pair anyway just to see and they loving rule. I immediately sold my old speakers. His problem was pairing it with a Bluesound Powernode which is very shrill. As long as you’re not doing that, you’re golden.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is a $999 pair of speakers really what we're going to call "rich old guy" demographic

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

Is a $999 pair of speakers really what we're going to call "rich old guy" demographic

Hell no.

I bought a $1k pair of speakers as a junior enlisted :sun:
(there's a joke there too, I guess...)

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Wibla posted:

Hell no.

I bought a $1k pair of speakers as a junior enlisted :sun:
(there's a joke there too, I guess...)

Along with your 24% APR Mustang?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Animale posted:

Along with your 24% APR Mustang?

Thank goodness no, then I wouldn't have been able to keep the speakers :v:

I bought a Mazda 626 GT 4WS with cash instead.

Then proceeded to throw a lot more money at it to unfuck all the poo poo PO messed up.

Fun car (for what it was), until I totaled it :smith:

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

This is because there was one dumbass youtube review of the 606 S2 where the guy whines that they are sibilant. Somehow this became a meme. I bought a pair anyway just to see and they loving rule. I immediately sold my old speakers. His problem was pairing it with a Bluesound Powernode which is very shrill. As long as you’re not doing that, you’re golden.

Oh I kind of avoid youtube reviews of speakers because I can't stand self important reviewers that use wine tasting adjectives to describe an inherently subjective experience. I was talking about the measurements of B&W speakers as of late where they're just objectively like 5dB hot in the tweeter.

Source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/bowers-wilkins-607-s2-anniversary-edition-review.21597/

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DoesNotCompute posted:

Oh I kind of avoid youtube reviews of speakers because I can't stand self important reviewers that use wine tasting adjectives to describe an inherently subjective experience. I was talking about the measurements of B&W speakers as of late where they're just objectively like 5dB hot in the tweeter.

Source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/bowers-wilkins-607-s2-anniversary-edition-review.21597/
I see this as a lot worse actually because what actually matters when it comes to speakers is the way it sounds to your ears. AudioScienceReview is well meaning but like 99.9% of the minute differences in frequency response that they obsess over are inaudible even in an A/B test.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Are Klipsch speakers good?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

smoobles posted:

They're okay but you can get something better used for the price.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

smoobles posted:

If they sound good to you, then yes. Typically I find that the more a company is spending on advertising, the less value you are getting when you buy it. Bose and Klipsh ads are all over the place. They seem to send out free test speakers to almost every youtube audio channel as well.

I personally like speaker brands that sell direct to consumers, and don't buy ads but rely on word of mouth, such as Power Sound Audio (https://www.powersoundaudio.com/) and Ascend (https://ascendacoustics.com/). They don't send free test speakers out, so the reviews you find are only from people who had to purchase the speakers themselves.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

I see this as a lot worse actually because what actually matters when it comes to speakers is the way it sounds to your ears. AudioScienceReview is well meaning but like 99.9% of the minute differences in frequency response that they obsess over are inaudible even in an A/B test.

Oh I agree that they go down the silly rabbit hole sometimes, especially with DACs and comparing 100 vs 105 -dB sinad nonsense, but it's interesting to see that the clarity of B&W might just be a 5dB boost at 10khz, which is definitely not minute. Just think of how many speakers you might love a whole lot if you turned the treble knob up to 5.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

smoobles posted:

Some are, some aren't. They have a house sound for sure, best bet is listen to whatever pair you're thinking about.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The reference premiere series from the last 2-3 generations have been very good and an excellent value if you can find them on sale, but I wouldn’t recommend them at retail

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Aperion is another direct-to-consumer brand that I like a lot.

The thing with Klipsch is they have been around forever and some of old designs were and are very well acclaimed. To the point where they will still build you a Klipschorn (a 77 year old design), if you have the cash.

Some of their stuff is definitely riding on those long coat-tails, but not all of it and they are still very much a company that knows how to make good speakers.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 25, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Wasn't sure where to post this, the guy who runs Power Sound Audio is trying to make space in his warehouse for shipments coming in, so he is having a sale on the EV18f model subwoofer.
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers/products/ev1813-new
Its like that one, but the woofer is a "Drivers 18" Ferrite High BL Woofer" and the price is marked down to $1280 with a 5 year full warranty.

If you are looking for a crazy powerful and accurate subwoofer, this is an amazing deal.
email the owner Tom Vodhanel at support@powersoundaudio.com
He's not listing this deal on the website its just by word of mouth.

I didn't want to post a commercial, but this is like a 60% off sale on a high end sub.

e: it weighs 123 lbs and has a 1920w amp, so make sure you are prepared for it, this isn't for apartments! :D

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 2, 2023

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So prime days is going on, and they're clearing the garbage out of their warehouses. I'm looking to upgrade our Denon AVR-S910W, and the one I was potentially looking at AVR-S970H, or should I just avoid for now and look for something better. Deal is 484 from $799. I don't need the 7.1 or anything with that many speakers.

The 910 works, but doesn't work well, and it's getting old and whatnot.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

So prime days is going on, and they're clearing the garbage out of their warehouses. I'm looking to upgrade our Denon AVR-S910W, and the one I was potentially looking at AVR-S970H, or should I just avoid for now and look for something better. Deal is 484 from $799. I don't need the 7.1 or anything with that many speakers.

The 910 works, but doesn't work well, and it's getting old and whatnot.

What exactly is missing from your current receiver that you are looking for in a new one?

That is about the normal price at A4L for that receiver:
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...r-w/heos/1.html

I would maybe take a few minutes and take a look at the specs compared to other similarly priced receivers. For Denon, I personally like the feature set of the X series more than the S series:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1700h/denon-avr-x1700h-7.2-ch-x-80-watts-8k-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Minor things mostly. It's supposed to pass through 4k, and the biggest problem was with the PC, and it would go spastic so we hooked the PC up to the TV (constantly trying to get the 'right' resolution, even though we manually set it to 1080p, etc). That and my rears on the 5.1 never seemed to work properly. As I said, minor things, but if it's not a good buy, I can wait, nothing urgent. Hoping to have a new job with better pay so I can dish out for the much better quality receivers and good speakers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not that it's a bad deal but more that unless you need the features of the high end receivers, the entry level ones are probably fine.

It's also not such an amazing deal that I'd feel the need to jump on it without comparison shopping.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
So is there anything Prime Day/Prime Day competitor worth getting?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

First time post here, need help figuring out how to get components working together.

I'm trying to connect a Monoprice 10565 5.1 system to my Roku TV (ns-55dr620na18).

I read that I needed a receiver for the Monoprice system to work. I scrounged around and find my dad's old receiver, which is a Yamaha R-V98 and it still works perfectly.

How on earth do I connect all these together? I'm trying to buy whatever missing piece I need off Amazon and the store is total dogshit what with everything being a sponsored ad.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Looks like an older stereo receiver there, you need a newer 5.1 model with hdmi inputs and output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dogen posted:

Looks like an older stereo receiver there, you need a newer 5.1 model with hdmi inputs and output.

That said, I would be much happier with a set of new stereo speakers and that old receiver than I would with a new receiver and that set of speakers.

Edit: How did Monoprice even build that for cheap enough to make any profit? That amp plate on the back of the sub looks actually decent.

Fake Almost Double Edit: That is a 5.0 receiver but an INCREDIBLY weirdly laid out one. Also, it's weird that it's a 5.0 receiver in the first place.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 12, 2023