Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1670723829713215489?t=qOriKOBhomX9TM7QqXI3gw&s=19

Shame, there are probably still going to be Russian tanks to count in October

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1670723829713215489?t=qOriKOBhomX9TM7QqXI3gw&s=19

Shame, there are probably still going to be Russian tanks to count in October

Thats unfortunate, its a very useful site. Maybe with enough crowdfunding the creator might keep it going, or at least hire someone to do it for him?

I'd presume during this war at least while the site is so high profile it wouldn't be hard for them to raise a few thousand a month if they do a donation drive.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Blut posted:

Thats unfortunate, its a very useful site. Maybe with enough crowdfunding the creator might keep it going, or at least hire someone to do it for him?

I'd presume during this war at least while the site is so high profile it wouldn't be hard for them to raise a few thousand a month if they do a donation drive.

Oryx has a Patreon but it's got pretty weak support. They probably needed someone to take on the work of actually hustling for donations because it should have been possible to get way more than what they have.
A fairly minor youtube channel that I used to watch that produces historical military content is taking in a minimum of 10k/month on their Patreon. Continuing on in the vague hopes of a job without taking steps towards monetization is not the greatest plan.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/Rebel44CZ/status/1670739818131718145?s=20

Jakub has been update the Ukraine war related lists for some time. (or at least the lists of Russian and Ukrainian equipment losses)

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Fidelitious posted:

Oryx has a Patreon but it's got pretty weak support. They probably needed someone to take on the work of actually hustling for donations because it should have been possible to get way more than what they have.
A fairly minor youtube channel that I used to watch that produces historical military content is taking in a minimum of 10k/month on their Patreon. Continuing on in the vague hopes of a job without taking steps towards monetization is not the greatest plan.

Oryx has repeatedly said to donate to Ukrainian charities instead of him and his Patreon. It's not always about money.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Piatykhatky now confirmed liberated, after yesterday's contradictory reports:

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3724646-ukrainian-soldiers-liberate-piatykhatky-maliar.html

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Phlegmish posted:

Piatykhatky now confirmed liberated, after yesterday's contradictory reports:

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3724646-ukrainian-soldiers-liberate-piatykhatky-maliar.html

Yeah my understanding was that the progression is:
  1. A few days ago, Ukraine capture the small forest west of the village, attacked the village, getting hold of a few buildings, but then retreated to the forest
  2. 2 days ago, Ukraine attacked again, and the village became a gray zone
  3. Yesterday, Ukraine actually took full control of the city, and repelled Russian counterattacks
The confusion seems to be caused by people falsely claiming that Ukraine captured it after the first point, or people falsely declaring one side controlled the village in part 2

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
drat Oryx is calling it quits that sucks. I was reading his blog even before this war started and he had really good articles on a lot of obscure military stuff. But after the Ukraine war started it was probably just too much to keep up with. And honestly it's a pretty dark subject, I'm sure counting up destroyed tanks on a daily basis has to take some kind of a toll considering it's human beings inside those tanks.

While not anywhere near as detailed, thedrive.com (a great automotive website) has a section called the Warzone that has good articles on all things military.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

drat Oryx is calling it quits that sucks. I was reading his blog even before this war started and he had really good articles on a lot of obscure military stuff. But after the Ukraine war started it was probably just too much to keep up with. And honestly it's a pretty dark subject, I'm sure counting up destroyed tanks on a daily basis has to take some kind of a toll considering it's human beings inside those tanks.

While not anywhere near as detailed, thedrive.com (a great automotive website) has a section called the Warzone that has good articles on all things military.

Apparently he has had recent health issues to add to things, the group did great work.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
he had a severe health scare recently yeah

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

St. Petersburg put up giant flags of Russia, the Soviet Union, and the Russian Empire.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That black-gold-white flag looks way better than present Russia one, that also seem to be "default Slavic template" one.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
You know what’s awesome? Both the tsar and the people who murdered the tsar

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Scratch Monkey posted:

You know what’s awesome? Both the tsar and the people who murdered the tsar

Do I contradict myself? Blyat, then I contradict myself, (I am big syka, I contain multitudes.)
-- Уолтер Уитмен

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Moon Slayer posted:

St. Petersburg put up giant flags of Russia, the Soviet Union, and the Russian Empire.

Interesting that Russia is by far the smallest of the three.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Blut posted:

They're all the same size, it's just further away.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Blut posted:

It's also the farthest.
E: beaten like the kulak.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Blut posted:

https://youtu.be/MMiKyfd6hA0

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Moon Slayer posted:

Only three flags? Sounds like an inferior theme park to me. :texas:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

I was just going to post it :lol:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 20, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

That classic came to mind for sure. :kiss:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

alex314 posted:

That black-gold-white flag looks way better than present Russia one, that also seem to be "default Slavic template" one.

By "default Slavic template" are you referring to the colors or the fact that it's three horizontal stripes? Cause I'm looking at flags of various Slavic countries, historical and current, and they're all mostly some form of red, blue, and white. If you're referring to the three horizontal stripes it's like… one of the more common flag designs in the world.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 20, 2023

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

By "default Slavic template" are you referring to the colors or the fact that it's three horizontal stripes? Cause I'm looking at flags of various Slavic countries, historical and current, and they're all mostly some form of red, blue, and white. If you're referring to the three horizontal stripes it's like… one of the more common flag designs in the world.

The colors. Russia, Czechia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Croatia use those "pan-slavic colors". At least Belarus and Ukraine has decided to screw that noise.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

alex314 posted:

At least Belarus and Ukraine has decided to screw that noise.
Current flag of Belarus is slightly modified flag of Byelorussian Soviet Republic, so it's not really much better

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/19/us/politics/russia-spy-assassination.html

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

alex314 posted:

The colors. Russia, Czechia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Croatia use those "pan-slavic colors". At least Belarus and Ukraine has decided to screw that noise.

USA is secretly panslavic :911:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Nenonen posted:

The e got lost in the mail

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

alex314 posted:

Bulgaria and North Macedonia don't use them either.

It's kind of funny that the Pan-Slavic colours are just riffs on the Dutch flag though (Peter the Great was a big fan of the Dutch - a zeeaboo, if you will)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

gently caress Russia, but that black yellow white flag is aesthetically cool.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nenonen posted:

And the UK and Australia and France and Liberia and Cuba and Paraguay and Luxembourg and Cambodia and Panama and Norway and the Dominican Republic and…

Red, white and blue is a very popular color scheme.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mutata posted:

gently caress Russia, but that black yellow white flag is aesthetically cool.

Shame it's basically only used by unsavory far-right types these days.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Red, white, and blue have been "adopted" as Pan-Slavic colours during the 1848 Prague Slavic Congress. They made it onto the flags of the Slavic states formed after the Congress mostly for this reason.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a new development in what i find to be the utterly bizarre saga of the 11 pows released into hungarian custody

quote:

Kyiv repatriated three Ukrainian prisoners of war from Hungary after a group of POWs was transferred there from Russia without coordination with Kyiv, the foreign ministry said on Tuesday according to Reuters.

Hungary, which under Prime Minister Viktor Orban has forged strong political and economic ties with Moscow, said on June 9 that Budapest had received a group of 11 Ukrainian prisoners of war from Russia.

“The Embassy of Ukraine in Budapest managed to bring back three Ukrainian prisoners of war from Hungary,” Ukrainian foreign ministry spokesperson Oleg Nikolenko wrote on his Facebook page.

Nikolenko said they were already back on Ukrainian soil and were receiving the support they needed.

He said Ukrainian diplomats and other relevant Ukrainian authorities were working to try to bring back the remaining prisoners of war.

so at least some of the prisoners were willing to be repatriated. really not clear to me what the point of this stunt is

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This seems like the rare occasion the Red Cross could actually be useful?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I'm probably overthinking this, but this Hungary/Ukraine POW affair smells of some kind of schenanigans.

Like some kind of attempt by Russia to hand Orban a foreign policy 'victory' (albeit a small and very cheap one from their perspective) as a reward for his wise level-headed and sensible peacemongering.

Or some kind of attempt to drive Hungary further away from Ukraine/the EU, as Ukraine will probably not be obsequesious enough in its 'gratitude' for this charade, therefore providing Hungary more propaganda material to use for its domestic media, further entrenching their anti-Ukraine/pro-Russia position.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tigey posted:

I'm probably overthinking this, but this Hungary/Ukraine POW affair smells of some kind of schenanigans.

Like some kind of attempt by Russia to hand Orban a foreign policy 'victory' (albeit a small and very cheap one from their perspective) as a reward for his wise level-headed and sensible peacemongering.

Or some kind of attempt to drive Hungary further away from Ukraine/the EU, as Ukraine will probably not be obsequesious enough in its 'gratitude' for this charade, therefore providing Hungary more propaganda material to use for its domestic media, further entrenching their anti-Ukraine/pro-Russia position.

What I read is that they are from western Ukraine (Transcarpathia), which Russia is pretending is actually Hungary since Ukraine doesn't actually exist.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

There are some conspiracy rumors that Orban was promised that part of Ukraine in exchange for support / NATO "sabotage".

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

OperaMouse posted:

There are some conspiracy rumors that Orban was promised that part of Ukraine in exchange for support / NATO "sabotage".

This is hardly a conspiracy, Russia was pretty open about their planned partition in the early days of the war.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Morrow posted:

This is hardly a conspiracy, Russia was pretty open about their planned partition in the early days of the war.

Was that before or after Lukashenko showed a map of their plans during a press conference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Tigey posted:

Currently the "official" word in Hungary about said POWs is that this whole thing was the private doing of the Deputy Prime Minister of Hungary Zsolt Semjén, the leader of KDNP (Christian Democratic People's Party, the party you never hear about but they are "in coalition" with Fidesz since forever) with the Russian Orthodox Church.

There is some weird technicality that according to the Geneva convention you can pass POWs to a third party country, but they have to hold them prisoners. But as said POWs arrived to Hungary as free people, it means they were no longer POWs, so Russia let them go and somehow they were brought to Hungary after their "release". Its all a big clusterfuck and the Hungarian government is keeping silent about this whole thing, only the above mentioned Semjén released a statement about his involvement and thanking the Russian Orthodox Church.