Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Nuclear meltdowns aren't that destructive in the grand scheme of things and most npps have been designed to automatically shutdown in failure conditions (like unattended operation)

A few plants would certainly meltdown and make a few thousand square kilometers useless but for the most part earth would be fine

Nuclear fears have been overblown by the many industries that are deeply threatened by nuclear power.

I should have been more specific: Nuclear plants would for the most part be fine yes. There are coal power plants that would explode, other toxic poo poo they would corrode and leak all over the place, tons of poo poo would catch on fire and burn billions of acres of forest and buildings, releasing toxic and radioactive chemicals, etc etc.

Also, I’m all in favor of humans leaving the planet. We don’t deserve earth. Give it to the orcas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Nah, immaculate rich rear end in a top hat vibes. As a step father my son calls me dad and would be devestated if he learned I was dumb enough to put myself into a tomb controlled by a Logitech controller.

Thanks for the correction, it made my joke much funnier

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Authorities are urging Texans not to shoot at the sun today.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

At which point do you suppose the realization sets in that they have 96 hours of air for 5 people, so if they all agreed to team up and kill one of the others, they could stretch the air longer? And then how much longer before they do it again? And who are they picking, and what are their arguments and promises?

"We can't kill the pilot, but we could kill the historian. Pilot, we're all rich, help us kill the historian and we'll pay you when we surface."

one of the first things that happens when a body dies is the bowels empty

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Nerdy_Addict/status/1671139242641170432?s=20

I thought the toilet thing was a joke lmao

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

tbf the Titanic didn't really skirt safety regulations, the builders just had a somewhat reasonable but incorrect view of safety that saw lifeboats as something you use to transport passengers off of a crippled/slowly sinking ship. No one thought you'd actually have people sitting around in lifeboats waiting for rescue, so it was fine to just have enough to make multiple trips carrying everyone to a rescue ship.

Anyway what I'm saying is that it's extremely unfair to the famously sinkable Titanic to compare it to this tin can

Didn't they cheap out on the water-tight compartments? They weren't sealed at the top so water just overflowed from one to the next in series. Once they corrected it the other two Titanic class ships were better, one was sunk by a Turkish mine and the other lived its best life happily ramming ships right and left until it was retired.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

tbf the Titanic didn't really skirt safety regulations, the builders just had a somewhat reasonable but incorrect view of safety that saw lifeboats as something you use to transport passengers off of a crippled/slowly sinking ship. No one thought you'd actually have people sitting around in lifeboats waiting for rescue, so it was fine to just have enough to make multiple trips carrying everyone to a rescue ship.

Anyway what I'm saying is that it's extremely unfair to the famously sinkable Titanic to compare it to this tin can

The wrought iron rivets used in the Titanic had a slag concentration 3x higher than they should have, even by turn of the century metallurgical standards. This probably contributed to the brittle failure of the hull after impacting the iceberg, which caused the ship to sink quickly.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I spent my lunch break looking into how much coal and oil waste is generated and now I'm absolutely 100% convinced anti-nuke power is supported entirely by International Capital. I also haven't gotten legitimately angry in a while and boy howdy did this do it.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

good opportunity for 8bitdo to cash in on some guerilla marketing

they better start killing some billionaires asap!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Bluetooth controller and they keep spares on board 🙏🙏🙏

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

right stick to move forward and back? jesus

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
There's loving 87 million cubic feet of coal ash sludge sitting in ponds in Georgia alone and not one stupid loving hippie is protesting that, but we make 1000 cubic meters of spent nuclear fuel and we act like it's a huge deal!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Risutora posted:

right stick to move forward and back? jesus
a wireless controller holy gently caress

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

mycomancy posted:

There's loving 87 million cubic feet of coal ash sludge sitting in ponds in Georgia alone and not one stupid loving hippie is protesting that, but we make 1000 cubic meters of spent nuclear fuel and we act like it's a huge deal!

The actual environmental movement was rolled up by the FBI in the 80's and 90's. What's left is astroturf.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

this saga owns

im_sorry posted:

"We all died in a makeshift submarine
A makeshift submarine
A makeshift submarine"

Morbus
May 18, 2004

mycomancy posted:

the "hippies" (boomers) don't care unless the thing is next to their house, op

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I'd gladly let a nuclear plant into my backyard so long as I get some amount of free electricity forever, like say 8 kWh.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
it's obviously better to poison a very wide area continuously for decades than to generate a shipping container worth of concentrated scary waste

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Buffer posted:

it's obviously better to poison a very wide area continuously for decades than to generate a shipping container worth of concentrated scary waste

tbf if you ever concentrated it into a shipping container it would very rapidly become a wide area

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

mycomancy posted:

I spent my lunch break looking into how much coal and oil waste is generated and now I'm absolutely 100% convinced anti-nuke power is supported entirely by International Capital. I also haven't gotten legitimately angry in a while and boy howdy did this do it.

It’s always fun when someone crack pings themselves with this.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mycomancy posted:

Always has been OP.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Homer City Coal Power Plant, about 30 miles from here, is shutting down. Has the tallest chimney in North America at over 1300'

anyway I looked up why they'd build these supertall chimneys for coal power plants and it was to disperse pollutants over a wider area. if the chimney were shorter, the fumes would concentrate and kill people in the area. lol!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah let's ask texans to voluntarily reduce energy consumption, that'll sure work

It does work, actually.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I can't wait to talk to a government AI that can hallucinate entire municipal departments and procedures that don't exist.
https://twitter.com/KGWNews/status/1671110677522423810?s=20

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

KirbyKhan posted:

Laughing my rear end off at the "little brother" controller installed onto the text-message controlled submarine.

https://twitter.com/philurich/status/1670978190523928576?t=LluV8LYa3xqI4CEWNkdHCw&s=19

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Homer City Coal Power Plant, about 30 miles from here, is shutting down. Has the tallest chimney in North America at over 1300'

anyway I looked up why they'd build these supertall chimneys for coal power plants and it was to disperse pollutants over a wider area. if the chimney were shorter, the fumes would concentrate and kill people in the area. lol!

I worked for the electric utility in Northern Indiana. The story told me is that one of their coal plants there couldn’t get a permit to run with the height of its smoke stack, but they could get a permit for a higher elevation. So they essentially installed a giant washer on the top of the smoke stack to increase the pressure of the exhaust and shoot it higher into the air. The downside was that they couldn’t run all the units that fed that stack at full power at the same time (something in the stack would be way over pressure), but it was what they could do to get the station online.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
yall should read up on the radiation content of coal and coal byproducts.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I can't even imagine what goes into building a 1300+' freestanding chimney

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
off topic

CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE loving ECONOMY AGAIN

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Without going into a whole thing about the Victorian Navy, ships of Titanic’s era were famously vulnerable to underwater damage of all kinds. The pre-Dreadnought battleships in particular were probe to capsize or rapid flooding due to poor compartmentalization.

So, considering this was a passenger liner, I don’t think the bulkheads were unusually poorly laid out, if you take warships as the state of the art.

DK Brown gets way more into it in his book, but that was my takeaway.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

RadiRoot posted:

off topic

Nope

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

prior to titanic there isn’t international regulation of shipping by a treaty. it’s the reason we get SOLAS.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

talking about shipping is always taking about the economy.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

RadiRoot posted:

off topic

wow yeah number goes up, rich get richer, who cares
abillionaire dying is the most exciting economic news in a decade lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Didn't a billionaire die last year in a helicopter crash?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

a loving "reinforced" playstation controller

holy gently caress this changes everything

Tactical Playstation knock-off controller.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RadiRoot posted:

off topic

reported

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

RadiRoot posted:

off topic

What’s there to talk about. Red means good, green means bad, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RadiRoot posted:

off topic

number.