Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
At least there's a privacy screen and music when they use the bathroom. Wonder what the shitter capacity is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It would not be the first time that a toilet totalled a submarine.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CubicalSucrose posted:

Wait is this text message comms thing real? It's hard to tell.

Yes. They can't get regular radio signals in deep water, what they can receive is very rudimentary and capable of transmitting very tiny amounts of data. Obviously, they aren't tethered to a mother ship, so no hard line either. So that's how subs get to the wreck.

Outrail posted:

You'd think they'd have some kind of self inflating balloon type 'Ah gently caress gfto' device strapped onto the sub.

I saw an interview with the CBS reporter who went on a dive in the sub last year and he said they have seven methods of surfacing, both automatic and manual, so they've got redundancies piled on redundancies for that at least. There's basically three options:

*Imploded
*Got tangled in a fishing net or Titanic wreckage
*Surfaced and haven't been spotted

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 20, 2023

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Alan Smithee posted:

"5 mins away"

"from what?"

"5 mins"

"bro you said that 2 days ago lol"

lol

me at the beach still waiting for my weed guy to emerge from the sea in his submarine

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Can't wait to have the job to pop it open when it washes onto the Nantucket beach in august

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If their comms are busted, this is just as hosed as being trapped and unable to surface? I guess you don't suffocate in that situation, but it's a big ocean. Being spotted seems unlikely.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

PostNouveau posted:

If their comms are busted, this is just as hosed as being trapped and unable to surface? I guess you don't suffocate in that situation, but it's a big ocean. Being spotted seems unlikely.

You don't suffocate *yet*. Because you're now on the surface, but still sealed in an airtight vessel that only opens from the outside.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

The expert I saw on CBS News last night said he thought that with all the resources they were throwing at it, between the U.S. Coast Guard and what Canada is sending they'd find it if it was on the surface. Even accounting for drift, the possible area it could be in if it was floating is still limited. Take that for what it's worth.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JohnCompany posted:

You don't suffocate *yet*. Because you're now on the surface, but still sealed in an airtight vessel that only opens from the outside.

I can't fathom why they didn't put a transponder in after getting lost that one time. You have 7 ways to surface so Step 1 of getting rescued is good to go and then you just don't have Step 2.

Doesn't account for getting trapped or imploded though. Probably just shouldn't do this dumb thing they were doing at all.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Great example of how hard this is on the families of the guys dying in the sub:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

gohuskies posted:

Lmao

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Sink 182

Dude looks like he's about to a fat life insurance/inheritance pay out lol

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

weg posted:

Sink 182

Dude looks like he's about to a fat life insurance/inheritance pay out lol

Bro is gonna have private Blink 182 concerts in his back yard from now on

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

gohuskies posted:

No loving way

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The ocean is very big and we've lost entire jet liners that actually had transponders, not that long ago. If the mechanical failure was something like "the motor got stuck at full throttle" and they got caught in a current and if the sub isn't very visible from the air even when surfaced, I think it's still possible they could just lose it on the surface. It's June, there's still icebergs in the north atlantic, can you tell the difference between a 2m long hull and a 2m long hunk of ice, from a few thousand feet up in the air, potentially during rough seas?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
No one likes you when you're 23 (thousand leagues under the sea).

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Maybe they should have double checked everything on the sub.

All the small things in particular.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

All the
Small things
Tin can
Submarines

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

If it was something simple like a stuck throttle or they got tangled, they probably would have radio'd the mothership. If it was an electrical failure the sub should have automatically dropped ballast and surfaced. It needed to be a sudden event that both took out comms and also stopped the sub from surfacing. Something like a sudden implosion.

Almost certainly they would be found if they surface before they run out of air. The Navy has spent a lot of money on the problem of "finding a metal tube in the ocean". If they had a transponder that would go from almost certainly to 100% certain.

Comparing finding a craft which is floating in a known area to an airplane that turned off its transponder and deliberately flew away from land for hours is a bit disingenuous. You're talking about a search field of hundreds of square miles vs millions of square miles.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
We all died in a private submarine
private submarine, private submarine
We all died in a private submarine
private submarine, private submarine

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

i checked my ouija board and all it came back with was a gif of sonic getting squeezed and then drowning

dunno what that means

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
They actually found The Heart of the Ocean and are just on a quick run to a pawn shop.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I think the sensible thing to do is for them to eat each other, in order of least to most wealthy

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Where do they pee/poop in a minivan sized sub? They gonna die from the fumes before they run out of oxygen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

latinotwink1997 posted:

Where do they pee/poop in a minivan sized sub? They gonna die from the fumes before they run out of oxygen.

They use the toilet in front of the porthole. Duh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Now I'm thinking about the Byford Dolphin incident. Which is both really gross, and the name of a fantastic track by general fuzz.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This has been talked about but I think it bears repeating they went down in a submarine with no windows to watch the wreck on computer screens which they could have done on the surface via drone.

To paraphrase Airplane!: “I say: let them drown”

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Elong Musk should offer to send down his cave rescue sub.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mokotow posted:

This has been talked about but I think it bears repeating they went down in a submarine with no windows to watch the wreck on computer screens which they could have done on the surface via drone.

To paraphrase Airplane!: “I say: let them drown”

There’s a window in front of the toilet.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

gohuskies posted:

Sink 182

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

latinotwink1997 posted:

The video the CBS guy did made a point of them bragging that their submersible was the only one with a toilet - one of those hospital bottles you pee in if you can't get out of bed. I know them well, used them extensively when I was in the hospital in March with a kidney stone. Poop I believe was handled with a large zip-lock bag.

Anyway, reading the below article, if someone puts a gun to your head and makes you place a wager on what happened, you could do worse than guess that the porthole that

quote:

the viewport manufacturer would only certify to a depth of 1,300 meters
failed.

Turns out an employee had allll kinds of safety concerns, got fired, and settled out of court. Oh, and from his lawsuit you can add one more possible scenario:

*A fire from the

quote:

hazardous flammable materials [that] were being used within the submersible

https://newrepublic.com/post/173802/missing-titanic-sub-faced-lawsuit-depths-safely-travel-oceangate

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Here's a countdown timer for the economic stimulus trigger, if you need it.

I'm assuming that guys dumbass son in law is going to blow the entire inheritance pretty quick.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

ilmucche posted:

I wonder if some rich idiots in a non-certified submarine have now caused damage to one of the most historic shipwrecks because international waters means free market and no rules, suckers!

If anything they'd just make it more interesting

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Dregs posted:

If anything they'd just make it more interesting

I'm already working on my plans for a new submarine to go gawk at the wreckage of this submarine

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Lol, they are so very very dead. What a complete psycho tech bro CEO. Let's fail fast at 12000 feet, why not?

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 20, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It wasn't an all steel pressure vessel? What the gently caress?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

I'm already working on my plans for a new submarine to go gawk at the wreckage of this submarine

So it seems like the old sub it may of been a hull breach. I'd recommend with the new sub, same design, but just wrap it all in duct tape so if it does fail, it's already been fixed.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

dr_rat posted:

So it seems like the old sub it may of been a hull breach. I'd recommend with the new sub, same design, but just wrap it all in duct tape so if it does fail, it's already been fixed.

Just ask ChatGPT what went wrong and adjust accordingly.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Vegetable posted:

He’s not

He's not alive anymore that's for sure!

I do feel bad for their families and the kid who was there, wonder if he even wanted to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The video the CBS guy did made a point of them bragging that their submersible was the only one with a toilet - one of those hospital bottles you pee in if you can't get out of bed. I know them well, used them extensively when I was in the hospital in March with a kidney stone. Poop I believe was handled with a large zip-lock bag.

Anyway, reading the below article, if someone puts a gun to your head and makes you place a wager on what happened, you could do worse than guess that the porthole that

failed.

Turns out an employee had allll kinds of safety concerns, got fired, and settled out of court. Oh, and from his lawsuit you can add one more possible scenario:

*A fire from the

https://newrepublic.com/post/173802/missing-titanic-sub-faced-lawsuit-depths-safely-travel-oceangate

Best bit:

quote:

OceanGate refused to pay for the manufacturer to build a viewport that would meet the required depth of 4,000 meters.

LMAO free market capitalism ftw!!!111!