Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
Has anyone made a BioShock joke yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Billionaire thought he was buying a VIP pass for the fanciest ride in the amusement park. Turns out it was a VIP pass for the county fair.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

I thought that was the name of the vessel

Nah its called The Smell Zone

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If it makes you feel better it takes the human nervous system 200 ms to react to stimuli and they were dead in half that time so they never felt it (assuming it imploded)

maybe you need 200 ms, but us elite gamers can react to being boiled and pasted in less than a single frame

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If it makes you feel better it takes the human nervous system 200 ms to react to stimuli and they were dead in half that time so they never felt it (assuming it imploded)

Sure its humane but what about the second or two of funny breaking noises before that. Plus you gotta get bolted into the thing. No thanks.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.

DONKEY SALAMI posted:

Billionaire thought he was buying a VIP pass for the fanciest ride in the amusement park. Turns out it was a VIP pass for the county fair.

Hey don't insult the county fair! Pretty sure carny rides are safer than this carbon fiber coffin.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pig labeled 3 posted:

Has anyone made a BioShock joke yet

Would you kindly be forced in a nutritious human goo for the little crabs and poo poo down there?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Bad Purchase posted:

maybe you need 200 ms, but us elite gamers can react to being boiled and pasted in less than a single frame

I would simply headshot the pressure difference

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it was a no-scope submersible

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

verbal enema posted:

I would simply headshot the pressure difference

If it's a legitimate pressure difference the body has ways of shutting it down

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i'm gonna sell billionaire tours to go see the sub wreckage aboard my even more slapdash submarine

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

:vince:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/Pizza__Dad/status/1670931649230516225

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bob Ballard's Revenge

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

No one thought to tie a rope to it?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Ralph Crammed In posted:

In this article here - https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/titanic-submersible-titan-missing-day-3-1.6881595?cmp=rss

Short answer, text messages. On the phone. Slowly. That's it.

Article is an interview with a guy who did the dive a while ago. He says he still has nightmares about it.

When you think about it, that adds another possible point of failure. I'm willing to bet the phone (with it's battery full of spicy auto-igniting lithium) was probably never rated to be put into a highly pressurized sub 5000 feet under the sea.

If one of the Li-ion batteries failed in the phone, or the Logitech controller, or any number of other gadgets the crew and passengers packed along it could easily start a fire in the enclosed space of the sub, which could go very bad, very quickly.

I mean from where I am in the thread it's sounding more likely the hull just failed and they're all billionaire pt now, but it just occurred to me that there were probably a lot of consumer grade batteries straight from the Shenzhen factory seconds bins in the sub.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i think the chinese did this to see if/when/where more specialized US navy assets racted
:nsa:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Goddamnit I love when rich people die

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Billionaires watched that underwater video of a crab getting sucked into a pipe and got all jealous.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

you fool! a submersible with a meat compartment would make your jerky cold, not warm!

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Seth Pecksniff posted:

you'd prob have a heck of a headache for a fraction of a second

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
I liked when during that interview with the CEO he points to the interior ceiling handles and exclaims they got them at Camper World.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
There was a goblin or goblins

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Aragosta posted:

I liked when during that interview with the CEO he points to the interior ceiling handles and exclaims they got them at Camper World.

wait til you hear about the steering wheel

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Viscous Soda posted:

When you think about it, that adds another possible point of failure. I'm willing to bet the phone (with it's battery full of spicy auto-igniting lithium) was probably never rated to be put into a highly pressurized sub 5000 feet under the sea.

If one of the Li-ion batteries failed in the phone, or the Logitech controller, or any number of other gadgets the crew and passengers packed along it could easily start a fire in the enclosed space of the sub, which could go very bad, very quickly.

I mean from where I am in the thread it's
sounding more likely the hull just failed and they're all billionaire pâté now, but it just occurred to me that there were probably a lot of consumer grade batteries straight from the Shenzhen factory seconds bins in the sub.

I don't know if they are over the phone, I may have misunderstood what the guy said, but when he said text messages I thought phone. They may have a more sophisticated system? Or not. Does anyone know?

Edit-to be fair tho they probably did bring their phones with them

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

At this point I'm assuming the phone was a repurposed 90's Nokia.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I think these tours may have been done successfully at least 3 times previously?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I don't know if they are over the phone, I may have misunderstood what the guy said, but when he said text messages I thought phone. They may have a more sophisticated system? Or not. Does anyone know?

its an acoustic link that sends small amounts of data through sonar but the ship would have to be basically on top of the submersible

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Wee posted:

From The Daily Mail

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Wee posted:

From The Daily Mail

Very classy of the Daily Mail to include someone taking a dump in their cross-section.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Bin ladens mountain fortress was under the Atlantic ocean the whole time?

No wonder it was so hard to find.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Text messaging and phone communication won't work under water. Unless they were tethered to the mothership.

Radio and Sat phone on the surface, sure, but the only way to communicate underwater that deeply is acoustically. Or the miles long ELF arrays they use to give launch commands to nuclear missile subs (probably not even that as I think it's too deep)

The battery comment is a good one though, it wouldn't take much to a small short or electrical fire to make the atmospher unbreathable within a few seconds. Do you think they have any emergency breathers? Me neither.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

hydroelectric dams, i cant believe our enemy is so smart

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Konar posted:

Would you kindly be forced in a nutritious human goo for the little crabs and poo poo down there?

I dunno; theres definitely worse ways to end up than as food for deep undersea life.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
This was mentioned earlier and I thought it was incorrect, but it seems it can be used in an "inverted" way

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-short_baseline_acoustic_positioning_system#Applications

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Hang on a second.

Rolling the sub isn't going to do poo poo to get that emergency ballast off the hook. Because the hook itself is a free-hanging S-hook, so as the sub rolls, the hook will move in the same direction and keep the ballast attached. You'd have to roll the sub the other way to disengage the top of the S-hook from whatever its attached to; and if you're doing that then the emergency ballast still wouldn't disengage because by that point the ballast will be sitting on the body of the sub itself and the ballast's weight will no longer be providing force to rotate the S-hook.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

using a logitech gamepad, amazon toilet, and rv handrail on the interior doesnt seem like that big of a deal. the interior isnt structural and doesnt need to be that rugged. it may look dumb but is not that likely to cause catastrophic failure.

im way more concerned about their aerospace carbon fiber hull that apparently did not get any certification, and someone earlier mentioned that it failed once in testing (though i couldnt find the source). also the lack of backup communication and tracking systems is an enormous red flag, way more than 3d printed thumbstick nipples.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

biznatchio posted:

Hang on a second.

Rolling the sub isn't going to do poo poo to get that emergency ballast off the hook. Because the hook itself is a free-hanging S-hook, so as the sub rolls, the hook will move in the same direction and keep the ballast attached. You'd have to roll the sub the other way to disengage the top of the S-hook from whatever its attached to; and if you're doing that then the emergency ballast still wouldn't disengage because by that point the ballast will be sitting on the body of the sub itself and the ballast's weight will no longer be providing force to rotate the S-hook.

surely they tested this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

biznatchio posted:

Hang on a second.

I think the s-hook is welded to the pipes