Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

Billionaires aren't going to be smart enough to use the toilet or poop in one corner, they're just making GBS threads all over the floor now.

Millionaires poo poo in the classified documents storage room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Also a cylindrical design for a submersible that goes that deep is a terrible decision and there is a reason why all other deep diving submersibles are spheres. It works for military subs because they are much shallower vessels comparatively.

Here's what a cool looking non grover version looks like:

https://tritonsubs.com/subs/gullwing/?dc=pro

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Millionaires do firm squares like a wombat, and wear a diaper.

Billionaires do small firm guinea pig pellets and wear a diaper.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Over under for them eating each other?

Or eating out each other?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Pekinduck posted:

I think the s-hook is welded to the pipes

That appears to be true but does not fix the problem that the orientation of the top of the S-hook is such that the sub would need to be rotated ballast up to disengage that S-hook. The angle on the top of that S-hook would necessitate >90 degrees of rotation, and if you're rotating that much, the ballast itself is probably resting on the sub and no longer torquing the S-hook.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Clearly the head billionaire was the rear end-hook.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Bad Purchase posted:

i’m way more concerned about their “aerospace” carbon fiber hull that apparently did not get any certification, and someone earlier mentioned that it failed once in testing (though i couldn’t find the source). also the lack of backup communication and tracking systems is an enormous red flag, way more than 3d printed thumbstick nipples.

On the Titanic subreddit some guy had an effort post about what a bad idea carbon fiber is for this. I can't remember all of it but one of his main points was that, unlike metal, carbon fiber is porus to an extent and absorbing saltwater is going to degrade the material.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

dont forget it has Windows Vista

Well this explains what went wrong. Vista introduced a new driver model and their submarine control unit is only supported up to Windows XP.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
where we're going, we don't need logitech to maneuver

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ralph Crammed In posted:

In this article here - https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/titanic-submersible-titan-missing-day-3-1.6881595?cmp=rss

Short answer, text messages. On the phone. Slowly. That's it.

Article is an interview with a guy who did the dive a while ago. He says he still has nightmares about it.

No, the article doesnt say that at all. The sub isnt communicating via text message from a cell phone 6km below the surface. Come on.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

biznatchio posted:

Hang on a second.

Rolling the sub isn't going to do poo poo to get that emergency ballast off the hook. Because the hook itself is a free-hanging S-hook, so as the sub rolls, the hook will move in the same direction and keep the ballast attached. You'd have to roll the sub the other way to disengage the top of the S-hook from whatever its attached to; and if you're doing that then the emergency ballast still wouldn't disengage because by that point the ballast will be sitting on the body of the sub itself and the ballast's weight will no longer be providing force to rotate the S-hook.

with enough momentum it might be possible to unhook one side. As in the hook will continue moving while sub roll slows down.
however thats only 1 side unhooked which would lead the sub being sideways due to other side still being hooked.
other problems would be rolling with that sub as that would unhook ballast perhaps causing em to be trapped on top of titanic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

https://twitter.com/adprock/status/1671176156106612737?s=20

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

PH Nargeole posted:

In an interview in 2019, the then 73-year-old was asked whether he ever got scared diving 3,810m to reach the wreck.

If you are 11m or 11km down, if something bad happens, the result is the same, the former French naval captain, who is feared to be on board the missing Titan submarine, told the Irish Examiner.

When youre in very deep water, youre dead before you realise that something is happening, so its just not a problem.

At least this guy seemed to know the score and if anything he spent a long life evading a worst possible scenario like this one. Hell, what a way to go out given his career. I feel a little bad for his family though.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Dudes covered in blood, everyone else is dead

He trying to log into G HUB for his controller presets

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

biznatchio posted:

Hang on a second.

Rolling the sub isn't going to do poo poo to get that emergency ballast off the hook. Because the hook itself is a free-hanging S-hook, so as the sub rolls, the hook will move in the same direction and keep the ballast attached. You'd have to roll the sub the other way to disengage the top of the S-hook from whatever its attached to; and if you're doing that then the emergency ballast still wouldn't disengage because by that point the ballast will be sitting on the body of the sub itself and the ballast's weight will no longer be providing force to rotate the S-hook.

are you saying that they've rolled the sub upside down, spraying their own piss and poo poo all over themselves

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Holy poo poo this moved like 8 pages since I looked this morning, did anything interesting happen or are we just debating if the controller stopped working because they disconnected the rumble pack

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

quote:

However, the company's website does recommend "you restrict your diet before and during the dive to reduce the likelihood that you will need to use the facilities".

Everyone speculating about doing a big poo poo in there should have read what the company says on their website.

source: Titan sub has heated walls, private toilet and video game controller https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65960217

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

are you saying that they've rolled the sub upside down, spraying their own piss and poo poo all over themselves

I don't see that there's any other outcome here other than the passengers spraying their own piss and poo poo all over not only themselves, but each other.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

At least this guy seemed to know the score and if anything he spent a long life evading a worst possible scenario like this one. Hell, what a way to go out given his career. I feel a little bad for his family though.

At 11 meters you could probably just equalize pressure and swim up, but after a few hundred meters, yeah.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Something went wrong.

they wanted to rise fast

They started swaying maybe over aggressively or the wrong way, trying anything.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Apparently they have 40 hours of oxygen left (if they haven't imploded)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Submarine gone
And there's something very wrong
And I know it had to sink
Stepdads gone into the drink

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

mobby_6kl posted:

At 11 meters you could probably just equalize pressure and swim up, but after a few hundred meters, yeah.

At 11 meters you're running a strong risk of the bends, because decompression takes longer than you can probably hold your breath for, but probably not so severe that you just Die. Just substantially unfun.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Was this posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhBPF4yfkI

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Weird dudes drowning in the dead of night
Take this broken dream and learn to fly

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Yeah but they don't sell that down at the local ACE hardware

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

He's just celebrating becoming a billionaire via inheritance at a blink-182 show, I mean who wouldn't

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

This is the definition of "Oh no. Anyways"

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Wee posted:

From The Daily Mail

Even if I was insanely rich and also obsessed with the Titanic I just cannot fathom anything being worth packing myself and four others into a tube that doesn't even have proper sitting room. I don't know poo poo about submarines and assume there are mechanical reasons why they have to be compact, but this is just straight up a death tube. It's one step above Musk's cave rescue ideas. A Dwarf Fortress player inventing a "magma submarine" provides better accommodations for their doomed crew.

I mean maybe I just don't have the brilliant mind that would earn me $250k to casually drop on a summer vacation. Maybe this is just LARPing but for shipwreck fans.

Right now I'm just hoping no one dies in the search because if even veteran rescuers are balking then jesus loving christ

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Torquemada posted:

Everyone speculating about doing a big poo poo in there should have read what the company says on their website.

source: Titan sub has heated walls, private toilet and video game controller https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65960217

Let's be honest, every Goon reading this thread would disregard this and have a huge cheese and bean burrito before being sealed in with bolts from the outside.

The Lord of Hats posted:

At 11 meters you're running a strong risk of the bends, because decompression takes longer than you can probably hold your breath for, but probably not so severe that you just Die. Just substantially unfun.

It would definitely suck. Hopefully the ship your submersible was launched from has a decompression chamber.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
"I made the first vessel that could do this safely, because I have enough money to do that"

Wheres that guy in this scenario
edit: hes not

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1671204883830124564

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

For what's it's worth I'll bet that diveshitting with a view of the titabnic is p. awesome.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:vince:
:argh: I was going to make this joke!

William Bear posted:

Let's be honest, every Goon reading this thread would disregard this and have a huge cheese and bean burrito before being sealed in with bolts from the outside.

:hmmyes: I didn't become a billionaire to not subject everyone to nasty burrito farts

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 20, 2023

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I bet everybody's face will be red when they save these guys and they do not wish to return to our world, content with the society they have created in their underwater outhouse, free from the human ills of hatred, war, and not being covered in poo

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Nooner posted:

Holy poo poo this moved like 8 pages since I looked this morning, did anything interesting happen or are we just debating if the controller stopped working because they disconnected the rumble pack

this thread is fast as hell. goons love submarines.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

this thread is fast as hell. goons love submarines.

this time a Goon didn't kill anyone :v: that we know of :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Under the poo poo, under the poo poo
:sax: