Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Something tells me using a controller that was made 18 years ago is not the most forward looking approach to sub controls. Like why not use a modern Xbox controller that was made in the 10s of millions instead of an off brand mad catz controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The red flag for me is that the pressure-vessel part of the thing that holds air and people is a cylinder instead of a sphere. Yeah Navy submarines are big cylinders but they can't go below 2000 feet or so.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

If we take the owner's word, they do bring spare controllers with them on dives.

Logitech makes, and has for decades, very good quality peripherals.

The speakers at the front of the sub under the floor are for privacy when someone's using the chem toilet.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wombot posted:

If we take the owner's word, they do bring spare controllers with them on dives.

Logitech makes, and has for decades, very good quality peripherals.

The speakers at the front of the sub under the floor are for privacy when someone's using the chem toilet.

ridiculous waste of space and weight when they could just give the shitter earbuds

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sagebrush posted:

Malaysia Airlines 370 was a 650,000 pound airliner and after ten years and like a billion dollars in searching with the most advanced technology available we still have no clue where it even hit the water

~ L O S T ~

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Video game controllers have undergone testing in the tens of millions of dollars, have millions of man-hours of use and feedback, and are probably more durable and functional than any bespoke solution you could make for controls.

There's plenty here to mock, but using a game controller isn't that dumb.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I would simply use a keyboard and mouse.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

ridiculous waste of space and weight when they could just give the shitter earbuds

Oh yeah, also on the list of absurd things: the toilet.

It's the little black box on the left. Paying a quarter of a million dollars to poo poo in a jewelry box. Also, now noticing how the crappy foam pad isn't flush with the buttom of the compartment. Just amazing Tesla-tier build quality.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

FuturePastNow posted:

The red flag for me is that the pressure-vessel part of the thing that holds air and people is a cylinder instead of a sphere. Yeah Navy submarines are big cylinders but they can't go below 2000 feet or so.

yea but common wisdom is full of reasons why something can't be done and shouldn't be tried, because someone died trying 50 years ago and proved it was impossible or infeasible

cargo cult innovation is there to try and achieve the impossible by mindless brute force, and/or scam a lot of money out of clueless investors

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tunicate posted:

I would simply use a keyboard and mouse.

Snapping off a sick noscope on some scrub-rear end tube worm

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Skippy McPants posted:

It's the little black box on the left. Paying a quarter of a million dollars to poo poo in a jewelry box.

Looks like a normal camping poop bucket with a foam top to me. I hope it goes out, but I assume it doesn't. I gotta assume that cabin reeks.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

GD_American posted:

Video game controllers have undergone testing in the tens of millions of dollars, have millions of man-hours of use and feedback, and are probably more durable and functional than any bespoke solution you could make for controls.

Using a lovely third party controller designed explicitly for little brothers is the dumb part.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

The armchair analysis is stunning, truly great work.

It's a non-standard shape pressure vessel (ie, not a sphere) using non-standard materials (carbon fiber) that are known for being susceptible to breakdown due to frequent pressure cycling.

The form factor and brand of controller doesn't play into this - so many industrial and scientific vehicles use a standard gamepad for controls because it's intuitive and the economics are well-understood.

In a DSV built of bad ideas and ✨ disruption ✨ using a gamepad is maybe the most orthodox choice they made.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

It's the little black box on the left. Paying a quarter of a million dollars to poo poo in a jewelry box. Also, now noticing how the crappy foam pad isn't flush with the buttom of the compartment. Just amazing Tesla-tier build quality.

How does a sub cycle air? I only ask because that tube coming out of the toilet is to exhaust the poop air and I suddenly realize that it may be difficult to exhaust things 2 miles under the sea.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

GD_American posted:

have you ever even used one of those logitech gamepads?

or ever used the logitech software that's buggy as all gently caress?

LOL

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its like a campervan toilet. You don't poop in it. Save pups for the Walmart and only peepee in there.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

nomad2020 posted:

How does a sub cycle air? I only ask because that tube coming out of the toilet is to exhaust the poop air and I suddenly realize that it may be difficult to exhaust things 2 miles under the sea.

No, I think the tube is for pee.
Like, you put yer dingus in the tube and pee. Or you put the opening up to yer lady space to pee. Or like, you use the tube, to void urine from you urine place, regardless of gender, because it's just a social construct and has no bearing on pee.

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 20, 2023

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Push El Burrito posted:

Cut the bottom out of that outhouse and poo poo into the void.

OSHA IV: poo poo into the void

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The Bananana posted:

No, I think the tube is for pee.
Like, you put yer dingus in the tube and pee. Or you put the opening up to yer lady space to pee. Or like, you use the tube, to void urine from you urine place, regardless of gender, because it's just a social construct and has no bearing on pee.

Oh, that makes sense. Some old airplanes have something like that except

Push El Burrito posted:

Cut the bottom out of that outhouse and poo poo into the void.

it just drains out a hole in the back.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LifeSunDeath posted:

have you ever even used one of those logitech gamepads?

or ever used the logitech software that's buggy as all gently caress?

LOL
Would you prefer them to disrupt the industry by ordering a bunch of knob ends they wire together themselves from ali express?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Using a game controller is fine. Using a knockoff wireless one from 2005 that's notoriously unreliable really isn't.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

zedprime posted:

Would you prefer them to disrupt the industry by ordering a bunch of knob ends they wire together themselves from ali express?

I'm just glad they extruded the billionaire industry a little.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

ILL Machina posted:

Looks like a normal camping poop bucket with a foam top to me. I hope it goes out, but I assume it doesn't.

In order to pump to the outside of the submarine at the Titanic's depth, the toilet would have to pressurize the waste to over 6,000 PSI.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Kafouille posted:

Using a game controller is fine. Using a knockoff wireless one from 2005 that's notoriously unreliable really isn't.

I agree. They should have used a thrustmaster warthog

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Kafouille posted:

Yeah even with spares you want something as reliable as it can be while in use. See a piece of waste net or unexpected piece of debris near the craft, go to reverse engines but the controller glitches. Oh no now you're caught up or whatever and doomed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sagebrush posted:

In order to pump to the outside of the submarine at the Titanic's depth, the toilet would have to pressurize the waste to over 6,000 PSI.
I wanted to check what PSI a human bladder could do since they are a positive displacement pump which tend to scale to high pressure very well. Just in case I could also disrupt the industry with a sick check valve that would let you pee on the titanic.

Instead I found this on Quora.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's really not surprising that people bike-shed their way into talking about the game controller because people understand those and can grok that the lovely third party peripheral is a poor choice. Many people have experienced terrible peripherals when the first-party controller was superior. Not everyone is going to be able to understand the pressures being wrought on the vessel, what the stresses are, whether the choice of material played into it, etc. Those are matters beyond most people's understanding.

But little bro's controller he got for Christmas when he specifically asked for the first party make, because grandma tried to save $15 on the gift? The one that conks out at a critical jump and is the source of a lot of swearing? That's a level of questionable we can get behind.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've never really had the third party woes this thread has. Instead I'm more thinking that if you're getting little bro controllers from 2005 you should at least get the one with a fan in the handle.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Yeah even with spares you want something as reliable as it can be while in use. See a piece of waste net or unexpected piece of debris near the craft, go to reverse engines but the controller glitches. Oh no now you're caught up or whatever and doomed.
It's perfectly fine in a non life or death situation, like if you're piloting a remote drone. We know they work pretty well. But if you're 4km under water, I think proper high-end industrial equipment could be designed to handle possible moisture or low temperatures, use hall effect joysticks to avoid drift and other glitches, have built-in redundancies, etc.

But you know what, the controller is whatever. Is that monitor screwed directly into the carbon fiber pressure vessel? I'm not an expert on composites but maybe that's not a great thing.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

What gets me is that you're paying for such a lovely experience. Like, there's one window in that thing and it's in front of the toilet, there are no seats so you're all sitting criss cross applesauce on the goddamn floor in the dark looking at the titanic wreck on a monitor and I can do that at home without much risk of drowning or being crushed. I'm sure more portholes would've completely hosed whatever structural integrity that thing has, but I still feel like you should do a lot better than that if you're asking a quarter mil.

EDIT: Ok based on the above picture it's fairly well lit and it should actually be darker to set the mood better.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

kw0134 posted:

It's really not surprising that people bike-shed their way into talking about the game controller because people understand those and can grok that the lovely third party peripheral is a poor choice. Many people have experienced terrible peripherals when the first-party controller was superior. Not everyone is going to be able to understand the pressures being wrought on the vessel, what the stresses are, whether the choice of material played into it, etc. Those are matters beyond most people's understanding.

But little bro's controller he got for Christmas when he specifically asked for the first party make, because grandma tried to save $15 on the gift? The one that conks out at a critical jump and is the source of a lot of swearing? That's a level of questionable we can get behind.

It's also that I have absolutely none of the background or skills I'd need to evaluate their carbon fibre work or communications system or whatever.

The gamepad is the one thing I do feel qualified to have an opinion on, and they have obviously chosen to sacrifice quality to save an overall tiny bit of money. It may not mean anything, but it's not a great sign either.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

But you know what, the controller is whatever. Is that monitor screwed directly into the carbon fiber pressure vessel? I'm not an expert on composites but maybe that's not a great thing.

If you look at the picture I posted above, you can see they've got a cylindrical crew compartment that's seated inside the pressure hull. The screens are anchored to that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

zedprime posted:

I wanted to check what PSI a human bladder could do since they are a positive displacement pump which tend to scale to high pressure very well. Just in case I could also disrupt the industry with a sick check valve that would let you pee on the titanic.

Instead I found this on Quora.

wow pissing contest settled

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Using a lovely third party controller designed explicitly for little brothers is the dumb part.

Yes, but that's not the part people are responding to. People are responding to the idea that using a gamepad at all is dumb. Not the quality of the game pad.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

The Bananana posted:

Ooh, here's a science question. At depth, what will the sub debris do? Sink or float?

The general rule is that everything sinks, if given long enough.
Positive or neutral buoyancy is a neat party trick, but the oceans are not generous or polite to anything they touch.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Post poste posted:

Positive or neutral buoyancy is a neat party trick, but the oceans are not generous or polite to anything they touch.

It was terrifying to learn that humans become negatively buoyant after about 30 feet down.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Post poste posted:

Heck, the oceans an even more bloodthirsty mistress than a helicopter

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
For everyone complaining that we are nit picking the controller. On one of their previous dives that controller hosed up and started to go backwards when forwards was asked for. The CEOs solution was to turn the controller 90 degrees and pilot like that. So it was directly responsible for putting the sub in a dangerous situation.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

CainFortea posted:

Yes, but that's not the part people are responding to. People are responding to the idea that using a gamepad at all is dumb. Not the quality of the game pad.
They'd be alive if they had a turbo controller that could autofire Y (the surface button)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

mustard_tiger posted:

For everyone complaining that we are nit picking the controller. On one of their previous dives that controller hosed up and started to go backwards when forwards was asked for. The CEOs solution was to turn the controller 90 degrees and pilot like that. So it was directly responsible for putting the sub in a dangerous situation.

No. It started spinning when forward was asked for.