Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

William Bear posted:

"Is a man not entitled to the view out the window? 'No!' says the man in the toilet seat."

Ya'll are scuba diving me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

By popular demand posted:

I feel like these forums have a varied population of people outside of the mainstream sexual norms so I got to ask what does obscenely safe even look like.

sexy high vis vests and OSHA compliant safety glasses.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Sub controlled by an early-Aught offbrand dance dance revolution mat.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Apparently they have 40 hours of oxygen left (if they haven't imploded)

Thursday's soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiW2Eha7bzc

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
also a things to look forward to if they are rescued is all the billionaires ready to discuss their harrowing survival and then see that the entire world was just laughing at them the entire time.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Since it’s made of aerospace materials they should try it in space now with a few other billionaires

Looking into this.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The Chad Alvin:

quote:

On 6 July 1967, the Alvin was attacked by a swordfish during dive 202. The swordfish became trapped in the Alvin's skin, and the Alvin was forced to make an emergency surface. The attack took place at 2,000 feet (610 m) below the surface. The fish was recovered at the surface and cooked for dinner.

quote:

Alvin, aboard the Navy tender ship Lulu, was lost as it was being transported on 16 October 1968. Lulu, a vessel created from a pair of decommissioned U.S. Navy pontoon boats with a support structure added on, was lowering Alvin over the side when two steel cables snapped. There were three crew members aboard Alvin at the time, and the hatch was open. Situated between the pontoons with no deck underneath, Alvin entered the water and rapidly began to sink. The three crew members managed to escape, but Alvin flooded and sank in 1,500 m (4,900 ft) of water in the Atlantic Ocean at approximately 39°53′30″N 069°15′30″W, about 88 nautical miles (101 miles; 163 km) south of Nantucket Island.

Alvin was found to be upright and appeared intact except for damage to the stern. It was decided to attempt recovery; although no object of Alvin's size had ever been recovered from a depth of 5,000 feet (1,500 m), recovery was "deemed to be within the state of the art". In August 1969, the Aluminaut, a DSV built by Reynolds Metals Company, descended to Alvin but had trouble attaching the required lines, and side effects from Hurricane Camille were producing worsening weather, causing the team to return to Woods Hole to regroup. The second attempt started on 27 August, and Aluminaut was able to secure a line and safety slings on Alvin, and wrapped a prefabricated nylon net around its hull, allowing it to be hauled up by Mizar. Alvin was towed, submerged at 40 feet (12 m), at a speed of 2 knots (3.7 km/h), back to Woods Hole.

quote:

Over the years, Alvin has undergone many overhauls to improve its equipment and extend its lifetime. In 2001, among other equipment, motor controllers and computer systems were added. The current Alvin is the same as the original vessel in name and general design only. All components of the vessel, including the frame and personnel sphere, have been replaced at least once.

In June 2008 construction started on a stronger and slightly larger personnel sphere which may be used to upgrade Alvin (for use from 2011), before being used in an entirely new vehicle.[14] The new sphere was designed, and then forged, from solid titanium ingots, in two equal halves, at Ladish Forge, Cudahy, Wisconsin, and then the 15.5 tonnes of titanium was machined and assembled, utilizing five view ports (instead of the previous three) and is designed for depths of over 6,000 m (20,000 ft), where Alvin's original depth limit was 4,500 m (14,800 ft).

This, along with a general upgrade of support systems, instruments and materials, will allow Alvin to reach 98% of the ocean floor.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I feel like the submarine might just be a fetish thing for the rich people. A billionaire isn't going to have smelled anyone else's poop for years, just perfectly clean toilets for their own personal use. They're going in the fart coffin because they want to sit next to someone making GBS threads behind a curtain.

To poop in a bag at the bottom of the sea! Insanity. But where else could the billionaires be free from the clutching hand of the Parasites? Where else could one use a submarine that they would not try to regulate, a dream that they would not try to destroy?

It was not impossible to poop in a bag at the bottom of the sea. It was impossible to poop in a bag anywhere else.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Danger posted:

Sub controlled by an early-Aught offbrand dance dance revolution mat.

Shouting directions into a chinese knockoff karaoke game mic called Song★Star

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Once again the ocean will be forced to "own" a murder

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

More info here.

https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1671216471274565632

He also claimed that flammable materials were used on the inside of the sub.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

What happens when the window fails? It comes rocketing in followed but crushing amounts of water?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

wilderthanmild posted:

What happens when the window fails? It comes rocketing in followed but crushing amounts of water?

Everyone dies too quickly to realize it's broken.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

free hubcaps posted:

lol even the bbc is ragging on this deathtrap portapotty

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65960217

e: lmao, rofl

BBC posted:

According to the company, the Titan weighs some 23,000lbs (10,432 kg) and has an aerospace-standard five-inch (13cm) thick carbon fibre hull reinforced with two domed titanium end caps.

How much pressure can aerospace grade carbon fiber withstand? Well, it's aerospace, so I'd say anywhere between zero and one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4RLOo6bchU&t=7s

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

wilderthanmild posted:

Whoever's taking a poo poo at the time gets a 5,800 PSI powerwashing of their face.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The security glass at zoo's is usually half the needed strength by weight because they know rarely need it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
the only thing they're gonna find from this is a single solitary ziplock bag of turds bobbing in the waves

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Nooner posted:

Holy poo poo this moved like 8 pages since I looked this morning, did anything interesting happen or are we just debating if the controller stopped working because they disconnected the rumble pack

Load bearing rumble

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Current billionaire status update.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Wee posted:

Ok everyone, prepare to have your minds blown by this for the first time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

Jesus.
Christ.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

wilderthanmild posted:

Some dude making GBS threads is blown backwards with such insane force that his turd splatters could kill other occupants.

you could do simulations and say more material from poo or pee contacted the particular individual first at speed.

Wee fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 20, 2023

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Live video of the submersible (a pressure differential of 14.7 PSI, for reference).

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

the only thing they're gonna find from this is a single solitary ziplock bag of turds bobbing in the waves

If these are the only remains they find, does it get divvied up between caskets, or how does this typically work

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Carbon fibre hull. loving hell.

People have already made the point of between 0 and 1 atmospheres of pressure (:argh:). Cyclical stress from each dive will make defects more and more likely, and given general standards I doubt they've got any inspection regime. I'm now far more convinced that the submarine imploded.

... Not that it's going to be much better if they're on the surface; submarines are not designed for surface stability, so it's going to be hellish for those inside even in the most calm seas. Given the stress they're under, I doubt that 40 hours is accurate.

No transponder, no automatic ballast detachment, no internal release mechanism, no wired controls. This is great fodder for engineering safety lectures.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

the hey son you winning meme but it's someone sitting crisscross applesauce with a logitech controller piloting groversub

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i still think it was the loving orcas.

i love you, orcas.

how long until they give this poo poo up, and then they start a new cruise looking for it?

Do I want to know who signed off on this cause I can't wait to see the lawsuits.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Cowslips Warren posted:

i still think it was the loving orcas.

i love you, orcas.

how long until they give this poo poo up, and then they start a new cruise looking for it?

Do I want to know who signed off on this cause I can't wait to see the lawsuits.

I too believe it was the orcas.

Comrade Orca <3

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Jesus.
Christ.

I remember vividly a picture of a fully intact spine from the report on this incident. One guy was basically extruded through the door.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Wee posted:

Ok everyone, prepare to have your minds blown by this for the first time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

Was reading this article about a year ago. Never thought it would come back around so soon.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Has anyone checked if the orcas have an alibi for the time of the disappearance?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

biznatchio posted:

Live video of the submersible (a pressure differential of 14.7 PSI, for reference).

So, if I'm not messing my calculations up... roughly 1/277 of the pressure difference compared to the depth the sub dropped out of contact at, 2800m?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So, if I'm not messing my calculations up... roughly 1/277 of the pressure difference compared to the depth the sub dropped out of contact at, 2800m?

Yeah more or less. So imagine that, but 277 times more powerful.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
look, everyone know that rich people don't suffer the same poo poo as poors, so this thing called underwater pressure can be paid away, right?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
covered in poo poo not even sure if youre still even screaming

mashing a controller

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grab Im Moor posted:

Shouting directions into a chinese knockoff karaoke game mic called Song★Star

I'm pretty sure you can't have knock off karaoke machines. Like you pretty much have to qualify when their a better quality version not when there cheap as hell.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The pressure and heat of the seas embrace will turn them into diamonds!

The true Heart of the Ocean.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

GABA ghoul posted:

Has anyone checked if the orcas have an alibi for the time of the disappearance?

they're out there playing blitzball with the sub

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

biznatchio posted:

Yeah more or less. So imagine that, but 277 times more powerful.

Good god, people weren't kidding when they said they'd been turned into a dense tuna can sized cube.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Cowslips Warren posted:

look, everyone know that rich people don't suffer the same poo poo as poors, so this thing called underwater pressure can be paid away, right?

Kendall: Get me the best submarine lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

William Bear posted:

More info here.

https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1671216471274565632

He also claimed that flammable materials were used on the inside of the sub.

Well I guess burning alive at the bottom of the sea is a unique way to die at least