Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I dunno, did they? Got any links or stories to discuss or are we just shouting into the void

Sorry: not a thread regular so I should have lurked more.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/joe-biden/hunter-biden-plea-deal-income-tax-case-gun-charges-rcna90144

I'm sure Trump will cry foul that Trump is being treated less justly, but I somehow don't think many voters will remember this come next November. If anything, Democrats can (correctly) describe it as justice applying to everyone, including the children of Presidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Yeah the right wing are already complaining that its a wrist-slap and a sweetheart deal. Maybe it is, but I've also been hearing that you typically don't even get charged for this poo poo, so they're actually going harder on Biden than normal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ynglaur posted:

Sorry: not a thread regular so I should have lurked more.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/joe-biden/hunter-biden-plea-deal-income-tax-case-gun-charges-rcna90144

I'm sure Trump will cry foul that Trump is being treated less justly, but I somehow don't think many voters will remember this come next November. If anything, Democrats can (correctly) describe it as justice applying to everyone, including the children of Presidents.

Kevin McCarthy has determined:

- Plea deals are bad now.
- Why didn't Trump get a sweetheart plea deal? They should offer him a plea deal.
- Actually, Trump is totally innocent, so he shouldn't have gotten a plea deal anyway because plea deals are for bad people.

https://twitter.com/SpeakerMcCarthy/status/1671201936182243328

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ryde posted:

Yeah the right wing are already complaining that its a wrist-slap and a sweetheart deal. Maybe it is, but I've also been hearing that you typically don't even get charged for this poo poo, so they're actually going harder on Biden than normal.

They were originally considering charging him with tax evasion, which they generally do prosecute, but pled down to misdemeanor failure to pay charges (which are not generally prosecuted when they have paid back the taxes owed, but they are here as part of a plea).

His gun charge (he lied on a form when he purchased his gun by saying he had never used any illegal drugs) is still going to be prosecuted, but he will likely get a diversion/probation sentence and basically just have to not get arrested or possess a gun for the next 5 years or so.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

His gun charge (he lied on a form when he purchased his gun by saying he had never used any illegal drugs) is still going to be prosecuted, but he will likely get a diversion/probation sentence and basically just have to not get arrested or possess a gun for the next 5 years or so.

Hunter's lawyers were making noise about "well why don't we see what the Supreme Court thinks about the law that says 'if you smoke weed you can't have a gun'?", which probably explains another reason the government isn't super aggressive about prosecuting it here, I know a lot of people don't think that law survives the current court very much longer

Caros
May 14, 2008

Link

John Eastman disarmament hearing, for anyone who wants a laugh.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Caros posted:

Link

Why did they allow him to come to his disbarment hearing with military-grade weapons and only just now attempt disarmament?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No no, his punishment is that he is to lose his arms.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Why did they allow him to come to his disbarment hearing with military-grade weapons and only just now attempt disarmament?

... Goddamnit autocorrect.

I will attempt to salvage my cred by pointing out that the judge showed up with a 7-11 big gulp, which is about the funniest thing I can imagine a judge bringing into a disbarment hearing.

Edit: Peter Navarro was withdrawn as a witness, probably because he had his own contempt hearing tomorrow and doesn't want to do a cross continental flight.

Which, lawl.

Caros fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 20, 2023

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Caros posted:

... Goddamnit autocorrect.

I will attempt to salvage my cred by pointing out that the judge showed up with a 7-11 big gulp, which is about the funniest thing I can imagine a judge bringing into a disbarment hearing.

Well a bag of popcorn would have been too obvious.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

California state courts are apparently extremely lax.

You aren't even allowed to bring in an outside bottle of liquid into the courtrooms around here.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

California state courts are apparently extremely lax.

You aren't even allowed to bring in an outside bottle of liquid into the courtrooms around here.

You misunderstand, YOU'RE not allowed to bring in an outside bottle of liquid. The judge, on the other hand...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Disbarment, disarmament, dismemberment, make up your dang minds!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Randalor posted:

You misunderstand, YOU'RE not allowed to bring in an outside bottle of liquid. The judge, on the other hand...

The judges aren't either. We had one get in trouble with the Chief Judge for bringing in a soda can to the courtroom and the court sent out notices to the private bar, PD's office, and AG's office reminding everyone that you are only to use the jugs of water and glasses provided in the courtroom for drinking.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

Disbarment, disarmament, dismemberment, make up your dang minds!

All of the above.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trump goes on TV to discuss his legal case and rehearses an impressive amount of contradictory excuses in just under 2 minutes.

- "I never had those documents."

- "I already mentally declassified them when I was President."

- "If they were really still classified, then why did I have them? That would be illegal."

- "Actually, I did have those documents. But, they were mine to take."

- "I don't know if there were documents there or not. I think they were just magazines and newspapers and any documents were planted."

- "There never were any documents and they are just persecuting me for totally made up stuff."

- "Yeah, I did have some. But, Biden and Pence had way more. Why aren't they are in jail? It's all persecution of me."

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1670919463837769729

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone

Trump goes on TV to discuss his legal case and rehearses an impressive amount of contradictory excuses in just under 2 minutes.

- "I never had those documents."

- "I already mentally declassified them when I was President."

- "If they were really still classified, then why did I have them? That would be illegal."

- "Actually, I did have those documents. But, they were mine to take."

- "I don't know if there were documents there or not. I think they were just magazines and newspapers and any documents were planted."

- "There never were any documents and they are just persecuting me for totally made up stuff."

- "Yeah, I did have some. But, Biden and Pence had way more. Why aren't they are in jail? It's all persecution of me."

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1670919463837769729

Jesus, what a mess. Is there a world where throwing all this spaghetti at the wall helps him? Like legally.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Old Surly posted:

Jesus, what a mess. Is there a world where throwing all this spaghetti at the wall helps him? Like legally.

Maybe if you're going for an incompetency defense under an "incapable of understanding his case or communicating effectively with counsel" defense, but . . . no, not even then.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Old Surly posted:

they're admissions of a party-opponent (you can google this phrase if you want to know more about hearsay rules but really no one should), making it quite possible the government could literally play some of these tapes to a jury to show his knowledge of the documents. you might reasonably argue that these statements can only hurt him

in the past, trump has sometimes used public statements to influence witnesses and try to help coordinate people's stories (which, to be clear, he is not allowed to do) to varying degrees of success, but here it's so disjointed and confused it's hard to imagine it has any value to him

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
You can make arguments in the alternative, but maybe not like this

Caros
May 14, 2008

eke out posted:

they're admissions of a party-opponent (you can google this phrase if you want to know more about hearsay rules but really no one should), making it quite possible the government could literally play some of these tapes to a jury to show his knowledge of the documents. you might reasonably argue that these statements can only hurt him

in the past, trump has sometimes used public statements to influence witnesses and try to help coordinate people's stories (which, to be clear, he is not allowed to do) to varying degrees of success, but here it's so disjointed and confused it's hard to imagine it has any value to him

I can't imagine a world where the state being able to play 'if I had them and they were still classified that would be illegal' would be helpful.

Honestly it feels like he's just sort of stuck. His whole life he has been able to bluster out of things, but the court doesn't really *do* bluster as a legal defense.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Caros posted:

I can't imagine a world where the state being able to play 'if I had them and they were still classified that would be illegal' would be helpful.

shrug he says he had them and he knew he had them and he was very busy and just didn't have time to remove his documents from the boxes

at this point the DOJ may well have so much evidence it's not worth bothering with this kind of poo poo but that's more due to the unique nature of how much trump hosed this. even chud losers like Turley were like "oh...."

https://twitter.com/JonathanTurley/status/1670916110164668418

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 20, 2023

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Caros posted:

Link

This link is dead. I imagine they're at lunch at the moment but is there an official one?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Caros posted:

Honestly it feels like he's just sort of stuck. His whole life he has been able to bluster out of things, but the court doesn't really *do* bluster as a legal defense.

Well technically the courts (at least civil courts) do count "bluster" as a legal defense if you know you can drag it out longer than the other person has pockets deep enough to afford.

It's just when the DOJ brings a case it a) knows all the tricks to running out the clock and how to counter them and b) has deeper pockets than anyone.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Caros posted:

At this point I'm genuinely wondering if he has the long covid brain fog.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Caros posted:

He is so used to civil court where you can infact bluster and delay nearly infinitely until the other side decides to settle, this... is not a civil case.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Simplex posted:

I mean, you don't really need that. The guy is just old.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, you don't really need that. The guy is just old.

And loving dumb as poo poo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Old Surly posted:

In a vacuum, all this spaghetti might confuse a jury, but courtrooms are generally carefully managed to prevent a defendant from just spouting off whatever nonsense they want as much as they want. And he's already spouted every one of these excuses at various points anyway, so it isn't even giving any new ammo to prosecutors, who'd probably rather build the case on his actions rather than his words.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't expect his TV appearances to have any real impact on the case at this point. It's pure catering to the base, no one else cares.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Simplex posted:

He's doing what he's always done. Spew all sorts of poo poo and let the listener pick whatever version he likes best. It's been rather effective most of his life.

He's not very smart, so he's just cranking up the volume to 11 because it's all he knows how to do.

Don't give him an out by chalking it up to senility or old age or whatever. This is who Donald Trump is and always has been.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ryde posted:

Maybe it is, but I've also been hearing that you typically don't even get charged for this poo poo, so they're actually going harder on Biden than normal.

And at the same time it turns out the head of the DOJ was not actually slow walking a bunch of trump crime investigation but openly running interference for him and going out of their way to avoid prosecuting him, letting him get away with far more serious crimes until he basically forced their hand. Gee, its almost is of our institutions have been thoroughly corrupted!

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/06/garland-doj-resisted-investigating-trump-january-6

The conservatives are right in that our system has a blatantly partisan tilt, but like most things they are "right" about they are actually upset because its not worse.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

eke out posted:

chud losers like Turley
This guy used to be a regular on Maddow and Olbermann during the Obama admin. When did he decide it was more lucrative to chud it up?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

GlyphGryph posted:

And at the same time it turns out the head of the DOJ was not actually slow walking a bunch of trump crime investigation but openly running interference for him and going out of their way to avoid prosecuting him, letting him get away with far more serious crimes until he basically forced their hand. Gee, its almost is of our institutions have been thoroughly corrupted!

Lots of people on these forums expected that they were slow-walking things for decorum reasons. Good that we have confirmation, bad that this is yet another confirmation of the two-tiered justice system in this country.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Old Surly posted:

It’s like watching a Roomba stuck in a corner, just banging away

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ryde posted:

Lots of people on these forums expected that they were slow-walking things for decorum reasons. Good that we have confirmation, bad that this is yet another confirmation of the two-tiered justice system in this country.

It reminds me a bit of the whole IRS debacle, where they were already favouring conservative groups and then the conservatives got mad and the Obama admin caved and made it formal policy to favour conservative groups even more.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

GlyphGryph posted:

It reminds me a bit of the whole IRS debacle, where they were already favouring conservative groups and then the conservatives got mad and the Obama admin caved and made it formal policy to favour conservative groups even more.

I seem to remember it was giving extra scrutiny to organizations complaining about taxes. Which, loving duh, yes give those loving more scrutiny please. And of course he apologized for it, so its now forever a "legitimate scandal" even though the IRS did nothing wrong.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

He's doing what he's always done. Spew all sorts of poo poo and let the listener pick whatever version he likes best. It's been rather effective most of his life.

He's not very smart, so he's just cranking up the volume to 11 because it's all he knows how to do.

Don't give him an out by chalking it up to senility or old age or whatever. This is who Donald Trump is and always has been.

While that's largely true, something like his debate performance was a new low even for him, and that's what this interview reminds me of with how incoherent he is. He's always been bad with complex thoughts, but here he's not even able to communicate simple thoughts and is arguing with himself at times.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Simplex posted:

While that's largely true, something like his debate performance was a new low even for him, and that's what this interview reminds me of with how incoherent he is. He's always been bad with complex thoughts, but here he's not even able to communicate simple thoughts and is arguing with himself at times.

He's stressed out and desperate. The bullshit isn't working and he doesn't know what else to do other than do it more. It's that simple.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Deteriorata posted:

He's stressed out and desperate. The bullshit isn't working and he doesn't know what else to do other than do it more. It's that simple.

Yeah he's absolutely lost in the weeds of his legal trouble. He's not even listening to the questions being asked, he hears a key phrase and loads up an auto-reply meme. At this point the key phrases overlap by a lot and he just flat delivers the wrong response for the question, and has no idea he's off -base.

Looks like throwing 6 cases at him at once was the winning strategy, even if it took extremely loving long to get here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Either that or he just honestly doesn't care what he says since he's depending on Judge Cannon to get him off the hook.