Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I've got little camping experience but I'm hoping my kid wanting to camp out in the backyard becomes the gateway to getting into camping. I Picked up a couple small cheaper items just in case it doesn't work out: A Kelty Discovery Basecamp 4 and a Switchback sleeping pad.

Bonus action shot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

xzzy posted:

Not really backpacking friendly but I was recently camping with some Canadians and they had chairs made by Woods. It was a giant padded bowl design and it was easily the most comfortable camping chair I've ever used.. to the point I've been thinking of getting a couple to replace our Coleman chairs.

Just look at that:

https://www.woodscanada.com/products/woods-strathcona-fully-padded-folding-camping-bucket-chair-dijon

You gonna settle around the fire in that bad boy and never want to stand up again.

They don't make a backpacking version unfortunately.

A friend uses these as their patio chairs. They are insanely comfortable but also huge

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Just thought I'd post that sierra has some North Face Wawona 6P for 200 USD right now if anyone is looking for a family tent. I'd jump on it but I had already gotten a Marmot Limestone 6.

https://www.sierra.com/the-north-face-wawona-6-tent-6-person-3-season~p~2dvyy/

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Quixotic1 posted:

Just thought I'd post that sierra has some North Face Wawona 6P for 200 USD right now if anyone is looking for a family tent. I'd jump on it but I had already gotten a Marmot Limestone 6.

Is this the current model Wawona 6? That's wild, it's totally different than my wawona 6.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

They updated it a few years ago to be a double wall tent. It's really a modified dome tent with an extended porch rainfly now.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Quixotic1 posted:

My Wawona 6 literally arrived yesterday from REI... for $500. :saddowns:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yooper posted:

Good thing REI has a great return policy.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yooper posted:

I dunno if they’d do it, but it might be worth mentioning this to REI to see if they’d price match. Save them the hassle or a return.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Quixotic1 posted:

Since I looked at this I've gotten two emails from Sierra trying to get me to come back and buy it.

Companies: Don't do this. This is a great way to get me to add you to my spam filter.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
But what if they give you a discount when they email you?!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: they may be leading up to offering you a discount to lure you back.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I didn't think sierra even has had real discount codes since they were bought by tj maxx

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mystes posted:

I didn't think sierra even has had real discount codes since they were bought by tj maxx

Sierra used to be fantastic for discounted stuff and huge coupon codes but yeah, since they got bought I feel like they just don't have the same appeal/deals.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Somehow I never saw a Wawona without the rainfly on? Its just a dome tent??

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

The older model (the one I have) is not, no. It's a single walled tent that's shaped like the tent-plus-rainfly picture of the model there. I wonder if this version is as bomb proof in hard rain as my older model is?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Are there any sleep pad recommendations? Portability isnt a huge issue i mostly car camp

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ZeusCannon posted:

Are there any sleep pad recommendations? Portability isnt a huge issue i mostly car camp

If you're truly not worried about portability, a Paco Pad, by Jack's Plastic Welding in Aztec, New Mexico. Good copies are made by NRS, Aire, and maybe other raft manufacturers.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ZeusCannon posted:

I really like my Exped Megamat, it was recommended to me in this thread.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

drat, if I didn’t already have an exped Megamat10 I would seriously consider one of those Paco Pads. They’re more expensive, but those things look drat near bomb proof (literally).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How does the exterior material on those paco pads feel? It's pvc coated polyester so "plasticy" seems obvious, but is it sticky rubber or kinda slippery?

Basically I'm curious how it feels using a quilt or something.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ZeusCannon posted:

N'thing exped for car camping -- it's nice having an all in one and they're pretty comfy.

The cheap end is also pretty nice if you're not as concerned about space and setup hassle. Our solution for awhile was two twin air mattresses and foam mattess toppers, and a set of sheets to put over that. Initially we had a double height queen inflatable mattress, but the bouncing was too much with two people, so we switched to separate twin inflatables scootched together with a shared topper & sheets which fixed that problem. Only switched to exped for packing simplicity after I found a used one at REI with the best return tag ever:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Old wawona model could not be out up without the rainfly which has to have the porch. The newer model you can put it up without the rainfly. Without the rainfly it's a modified dome with an extra pole going across the front door to have more vertical space.

The rainfly is also only a partial in the sides and none on the back. Here's a vid of it in supposably heavy rain and flooding ,though it doesn't seem that windy to me,which could be a problem with the windows cover on the rainfly going down only about two inches. But this person said no side rain/most came through.

https://youtu.be/G6Y_iXNrJsI

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Quixotic1 posted:

Old wawona model could not be out up without the rainfly which has to have the porch. The newer model you can put it up without the rainfly. Without the rainfly it's a modified dome with an extra pole going across the front door to have more vertical space.

The rainfly is also only a partial in the sides and none on the back. Here's a vid of it in supposably heavy rain and flooding ,though it doesn't seem that windy to me,which could be a problem with the windows cover on the rainfly going down only about two inches. But this person said no side rain/most came through.

https://youtu.be/G6Y_iXNrJsI

Awesome, yeah that's been my experience with my Wawona 6. I've had the thing up for several days in non-stop rain and it's stayed dry. Glad to see this new design still has it. (I've had to pitch mine in 1-2 inches of standing water as well when I arrived to a campsite that was partially flooded, and it stayed dry inside just like this reviewer's experience.)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

My wife bought me a huge cot off of amazon and it's been life changing

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I use a Thermarest Luxury Map, but that was meant to double for winter camping due to its high R value.

e: also for size and weight constraints. We wanted something to fit in our cots and also in our hike in sled. Trying to hit a balance between R, size, and weight led us perpetually back to Thermarest.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 17, 2023

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

drat you got me interested in those Pacopads.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Paco pads and their clones are made of the same material as rafts. They start life pretty slick but ever so slightly rubbery. Eventually they get sand buffed (if you're using them in canyons and on raft trips anyhow) and stay smooth but matte finished.

They float, they just hose off, and yes, it takes some serious abuse to puncture them. Even when they do leak, there's a foam layer inside so you're not entirely poo poo out of luck. A line of them down a river bank makes a great slip n slide. I usually use mine on top of a cooler as my seat in the boat I row.

I slip mine under my tent between the floor and footprint. It stays in place and the inside of my tent stays cleaner that way.

I've been working on rivers in Colorado and Utah for about 10 years now and I only know one person who doesn't use one. They're entirely overengineered, but the point is holding up over many seasons of desert canyon abuse and they absolutely do it.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 17, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ZeusCannon posted:

Nthing Exped, but be aware that their warranty is worse now than it used to be.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Im mostly worried about blowing out an exped. I have seen reviews that it seems to happen sometimes and I am a large person so i worry for that poor pads survival

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Honestly, as long as you aren’t over filling (which will lead to a bad nights sleep anyways) and then plopping down on your mat, I think you’d be fine w/ a megamat. How big are you? I’m 6’2 210lbs and never felt like it was gonna pop.

Are you in an area where spiny cactus or other needle-like detritus are a problem? If so, that paco pad may be your best bet.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
About same height but closer to the 300 side so im fat. I'll take a look at them again sometime though since it couldn't hurt.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

On the subject of pads, does anybody have a rec for a double wide pad that does pack down pretty small? Like probably no more than 44" x 72". We need something for the camper bed that can be stored out of the way while it's in table booth setup.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

On the subject of pads, does anybody have a rec for a double wide pad that does pack down pretty small? Like probably no more than 44" x 72". We need something for the camper bed that can be stored out of the way while it's in table booth setup.

My wife and I use an Exped Duo mat for backpacking. It doesn't pack down as small as like a neoair but if it's small enough for backpacking it should be fine for you (we also use it to sleep in our car, in which case it plus our sleeping bags are easily stowed away in a 45L backpack).

The exact model we use is discontinued, but they have similar products in an r=3 and r=1 version (Ultra 3R and 1R Duo), and a somewhat heavier but still backpacking-suitable model with r=5 (Dura 5R Duo). They also have versions made for car camping but I don't have any experience with how small they pack down.

Edit: for reference, if you are pretty lazy about how you deflate and roll it up, it's gonna be around 12" x 18". If you are more disciplined about it it packs down to about 8" x 12".

Morbus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 19, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

havin a horrible time breaking in some scarpa zodiacs right now. right foot fits perfect, left foot is possibly the least comfortable shoe or boot i've ever worn. no idea what the issue is and its really frustrating. i've noticed a little bit of heel slip but at the same time one or the other side of my arch feel like its getting crushed. it was the inner side saturday, today it was the outer side. tried a set of insoles that seemed to make it worse. maybe they'll need to go back to rei. been keeping the break in hikes short -- just 2 to 3 miles and ~400-500 ft elevation change, but could barely finish today.

it seems like the lil bit of heel slip i'm having is causing my foot to flex more than the (very stiff) sole of the boot, and that might be causing some of the pain, then if i try to tighten the lacing, it just crushes the sides of my foot. i dunno. maybe just not the right boot for me.

kind of a bummer, i've wanted a pair of these for years and like i said, right shoe fits basically perfect and i don't think my feet are all that different.

i'm not really looking for anything i just needed somewhere to complain.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

post hole digger posted:

havin a horrible time breaking in some scarpa zodiacs right now. right foot fits perfect, left foot is possibly the least comfortable shoe or boot i've ever worn. no idea what the issue is and its really frustrating. i've noticed a little bit of heel slip but at the same time one or the other side of my arch feel like its getting crushed. it was the inner side saturday, today it was the outer side. tried a set of insoles that seemed to make it worse. maybe they'll need to go back to rei. been keeping the break in hikes short -- just 2 to 3 miles and ~400-500 ft elevation change, but could barely finish today.

it seems like the lil bit of heel slip i'm having is causing my foot to flex more than the (very stiff) sole of the boot, and that might be causing some of the pain, then if i try to tighten the lacing, it just crushes the sides of my foot. i dunno. maybe just not the right boot for me.

kind of a bummer, i've wanted a pair of these for years and like i said, right shoe fits basically perfect and i don't think my feet are all that different.

Ah poo poo, that really sucks... At least Rei has a decent return policy, and maybe someone there might even be able to help figure out the root cause. Wonder if even different sized pairs got mixed up in the same box?

I don't know if either of these tricks will work in your circumstance, but there's a whole variety of different boot lacing techniques out there that can possibly get you a better fit. Thought I had a viddya linked, but sadly I can't find it with a quick skim.

There's also the cutting a piece of blue closed cell foam pad, and putting it between the tongue and laces and using that to better lock your foot in

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's a singlewide, but I've been fairly impressed with the Thermarest Venture pad as far as comfort and packability goes, and you might be able to even do cheaper poking around on stuff like fleabay: https://www.publiclands.com/p/thermarest-neoair-venture-sleeping-pad-20casunrvntr20xxxcsl/20casunrvntr20xxxcsl

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife is Scout Master for a girls troop with Scouts BSA with my daughter in the troop. For Father’s Day, I got a Cirkul water bottle and it took less than a day for them to decide they like it and want one too.

Next week, they have a weeklong summer camp that they are attending. It will be around 90 degrees outside all week. Does anyone who goes camping use the Cirkul set ups? Online, it says that they can be kept in room temperature and the fridge. Will the outside heat affect the set up?

I want to get them some lids and sips to go with their camping water bottles but I want to make sure it will work.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

post hole digger posted:

FWIW I've had similar problems with a few different mountaineering boots. They are so stiff that, if the boot isn't an inherently good fit, there isn't really a whole lot you can do to truly fix it--especially considering that they *have* to fit quite a bit more tightly and with less open space than you can get away with in a hiking boot to do their job. As someone who has powered through a season with mountain boots that really didn't fit me well, I really recommend against trying too hard to make it work.

Sucks though. There aren't always a huge number of options for these things so it's a bummer when you've narrowed it down to a model that you think fits the bill and it almost but-not-quite fits.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Morbus posted:

FWIW I've had similar problems with a few different mountaineering boots. They are so stiff that, if the boot isn't an inherently good fit, there isn't really a whole lot you can do to truly fix it--especially considering that they *have* to fit quite a bit more tightly and with less open space than you can get away with in a hiking boot to do their job. As someone who has powered through a season with mountain boots that really didn't fit me well, I really recommend against trying too hard to make it work.

Sucks though. There aren't always a huge number of options for these things so it's a bummer when you've narrowed it down to a model that you think fits the bill and it almost but-not-quite fits.

thanks for this. yeah, the stiffness seems like the biggest issue with the fit being slightly off. you get a little more give with a hiking boot once it breaks in, but these aren't going to do that in the same way. theyll probably be due for a return.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

post hole digger posted:

thanks for this. yeah, the stiffness seems like the biggest issue with the fit being slightly off. you get a little more give with a hiking boot once it breaks in, but these aren't going to do that in the same way. theyll probably be due for a return.

At least it's REI. I ended up ebaying a pair of boots once because Scarpa returned my return, saying they had been excessively used (they were never taken outside lol).

If you get a chance, I think it's also worth always trying new boots with any crampons they will be using too. Sometimes a boot that fits just barely good enough without them can become unbearable once you put them on. It's a bigger problem with semi/auto crampons, I've found. That little bit of extra rigidity in the heel can take things from "well this is OK I guess" to "wow all the skin is gone lol".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I would also say if one boot fit perfectly but the other did not, maybe try a different set of the same boots in the same size, it could be that the one which doesn't feel good may have been assembled poorly unless you know that you have one mishaped foot.

But yes, buying mountaineering boots at REI is huge for the return policy sake. I almost lost my big toenail again on an Adam's climb in new boots. They felt fantastic but we're just a little too tight in my one foot.