Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Actual Satan posted:

They say Gene was a visionary, I bet he knew exactly what he was doing

If Gene had his way there would've been gay and lez loving in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

If Gene had his way there would've been gay and lez loving in the background

That would spice things up on the Bridge

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Just watched the Tom Riker episode. I guess I haven't seen enough TNG because I forgot about the clone.

Dukat seemed to act totally rational to me. He definitely got what he wanted.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
dukat seemingly acts rationally up until his heel turn into the space antichrist, which they wrote into the character because people weren't seeing why he was supposed to be a terrible person. wonderful villain

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I will say in seasons 3 - 4 he does seem to be on a genuine arc and has multiple episodes where he's an honest broker as Sisko's opposite number, they only really veer into 'gently caress this guy' territory again when he joins the Dominion in S5

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

dukat seemingly acts rationally up until his heel turn into the space antichrist, which they wrote into the character because people weren't seeing why he was supposed to be a terrible person. wonderful villain

Which is hilarious as it wasn't like until than they were being subtle about just how much a terrible person he was.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dukat rationally did a Hitler.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dukat is so much worse once they drop the rationalizations. They're what makes him such a good villain, that the entire time he believes that he's a good man and that his actions helped people.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eimi posted:

Dukat is so much worse once they drop the rationalizations. They're what makes him such a good villain, that the entire time he believes that he's a good man and that his actions helped people.

marc alaimo sells the hell out of it too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

marc alaimo sells the hell out of it too

Marc Alaimo also believed those rationalisations too lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Dukat rationally did a Hitler.

He posted transphobia in D&D?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

He posted transphobia in D&D?

That's a calm hitler. Calm Hitlers and Rational Hitlers are very different specimens

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm onto the Voyager episode with the Hedonist aliens who can warp 40,000 light years in an instant. It's kind of amusing that with half the crew conspiring to get the technology illegally by some way or another, none of them are wondering what will happen if this plan goes awry - what if they get caught? They know that they are renowned for their hospitality, but they are clearly sensitive AF and no one has mentioned anything about their temper. A species that powerful might have some nasty offensive tech to go with their super-transportation and no one is considering that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Picard established that the Borg assimilated that teleporter so :shrug: sucks to be them

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

IIRC they were thinking about using those guys as recurring antagonists but, it's Voyager.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MikeJF posted:

Picard established that the Borg assimilated that teleporter so :shrug: sucks to be them

Kind of want to see that Borg Cube. "We are the Party Borg. We will add your cultural and edible uniqueness to our own."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

Kind of want to see that Borg Cube. "We are the Party Borg. We will add your cultural and edible uniqueness to our own."

NIGHT CREEEW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZjPOrXMaR4

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BioEnchanted posted:

Maybe that's Jurati's collective. She seems like the kind to fully cut loose once she sheds her neuroses and inhibitions.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Trainwreck Borg Queen, she's drunk at brunch and even the drones are embarrassed

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also the reveal of Seska being a Cardassian is amusing because honestly, even in Bajoran makeup the actress looks like the type of actors they pick to play Cardassians. She has a very lizard-y face.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Trainwreck Borg Queen, she's drunk at brunch and even the drones are embarrassed

*head on torso backwards* yyou don't come into MY cube and tell ME what to do

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Also the reveal of Seska being a Cardassian is amusing because honestly, even in Bajoran makeup the actress looks like the type of actors they pick to play Cardassians. She has a very lizard-y face.

they came up with the idea of a Cardassian mole amongst the crew members and then worked backwards to insert Martha Hackett into episodes ahead of time, so yep! they did cast her to play a Cardassian

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I can only imagine the casting. "Well, you've got the part, you did the lines well and you're face looks sufficiently lizard-y." "Well, both gently caress you, and THANK you, I guess..."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Arivia posted:

they came up with the idea of a Cardassian mole amongst the crew members and then worked backwards to insert Martha Hackett into episodes ahead of time, so yep! they did cast her to play a Cardassian

I’m pretty sure this is the only time in the duration of Voyager they thought something out that far ahead. Lol

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I've been finding a lot of the Cardassian women on DS9 pretty easy on the eyes. Not really sure what that says about me

Just watched the episode with the 3 science ladies and my reaction at one point was "huh, I'm jealous of O'Brian. She's actually kinda cute"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's the blue spoons

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aces High posted:

I've been finding a lot of the Cardassian women on DS9 pretty easy on the eyes. Not really sure what that says about me

Just watched the episode with the 3 science ladies and my reaction at one point was "huh, I'm jealous of O'Brian. She's actually kinda cute"

I think in part it's because the cardassians get enough representation and diversity in their appearances that they start to read more as people and less as 'member of rubber forehead species', like even in the science ladies episode the one you have a particularly harsh and dour one and a much softer, more feminine one and I giess ot makes sense your brain would pick up on that?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

HD DAD posted:

I’m pretty sure this is the only time in the duration of Voyager they thought something out that far ahead. Lol
Early Voyager seemed much more willing to set up ongoing plot threads, you've got that, the Maquis tension that never materialized, actual recurring non-Borg adversaries in the Kazon and Viidians, and then by like mid season 2 they dropped all of it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Aces High posted:

Well, the actress is Tracy Scoggins, so there's a lot for the makeup people to work with there.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Season 1 of TNG is the one where the men’s inseams would cut into their taints, right? I’m not being crass. All the male cast have this back arched, chest out posture that puts of a ‘ready to fight’ vibe.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Season 1 of TNG is the one where the men’s inseams would cut into their taints, right? I’m not being crass. All the male cast have this back arched, chest out posture that puts of a ‘ready to fight’ vibe.

The S1 uniforms were spandex unitards, and they were tailored so tightly that having to stand up straight like that was the only way to not be pulled down into a hunched over position.

They gave Patrick Stewart lasting back problems, IIRC.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3022935/how-star-trek-killed-something-worse-than-klingons-spandex

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just watched the Tom Riker episode. I guess I haven't seen enough TNG because I forgot about the clone.

Dukat seemed to act totally rational to me. He definitely got what he wanted.

giving kira a daughter/sister?

e: does anyone have the Dukat/DENNIS system from Always Sunny mashup?

e2: found it in the gbs thread

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 20, 2023

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The S1 uniforms were spandex unitards, and they were tailored so tightly that having to stand up straight like that was the only way to not be pulled down into a hunched over position.

Thanks for the clarification. There will be these shots of Picard hustling down a corridor with the male bridge crew in tow and it looks like they’re heading to stomp somebody for talking poo poo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CPColin posted:

It's the blue spoons

I always liked that detail. Did they ever explain it or am I just imagining that it's meant to be cosmetic, like makeup?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I always liked that detail. Did they ever explain it or am I just imagining that it's meant to be cosmetic, like makeup?

They're lizards, I always assumed it was some kind of crest. A naturally-occurring genetic decoration.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Gaz-L posted:

i don't think they ever say in-depth why they have it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Knormal posted:

Early Voyager seemed much more willing to set up ongoing plot threads, you've got that, the Maquis tension that never materialized, actual recurring non-Borg adversaries in the Kazon and Viidians, and then by like mid season 2 they dropped all of it.

It gets largely wrapped up by the end of season 2 yeah, they went and basically did a big Kazon arc and then said they were done. It’s kind of funny, they don’t do every episode as an arc episode but instead every second one, so like I noted last night, “Threshold” is right after a big arc episode and has that tiny scene of the traitor sending info on the warp 10 flight to the Kazon. A lot of the off-arc episodes are actually some of Voyager’s most memorable - you also have “Deadlock”, “Dreadnought,” and “The Thaw.”

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No Dignity posted:

Marc Alaimo also believed those rationalisations too lol

From now on, I'm going to choose to believe that they didn't script what Dukat was supposed to do with the situation when his Bajoran Cult Side-Piece birthed a Cardassian and he just went with it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ruddiger posted:

giving kira a daughter/sister?

Not sure what this is referring to as I'm only in season 3. Tom Riker just cleverly disguised himself with fake sideburns and Sisko and Dukat had to hunt him down after he stole the Defiant.

Why didn't Tom just like grow a full beard in and then shave it off? Seems less risky than you know prosthetics that could fall off his face when drinking.

Anyway, I don't mean to say that Dukat is moral or ethical. However, if you look at his premises (Cardassian superiority, the ends justify the means) you can understand why he does what he does. He's evil, but cold and calculating about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anyway, I don't mean to say that Dukat is moral or ethical. However, if you look at his premises (Cardassian superiority, the ends justify the means) you can understand why he does what he does. He's evil, but cold and calculating about it.
The problem is that the Cardassians weren't ambitious enough as colonizers. If they made the bajorans worship them as gods, the Federation would have bowed out and let them do their thing, even if they found out the Cardassians had forced themselves upon some Federation woman to ensure one of their pawns was in charge of the local Federation outpost.