Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So the only person with a submarine that can dive deep enough to rescue them is Gabe Newell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Has Lemon commented on this yet

Not because I want to hear it, but because in this stupid timeline I have no doubt several idiotic news outlets have asked him for his take because some people still think he's a genius tech bazingannaire instead of an inbred racist drug addict welfare leeching failson whose opinions are utterly worthless

i mean hell even people in this thread are drawing connections between the two lmao

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

So the only person with a submarine that can dive deep enough to rescue them is Gabe Newell?

Will there actually be enough room in the sub with Gabe?

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Homemade submarine
Implosion in the deep
No one could have predicted
The outcome of this trip
We all thought it would be fine
But now we're taking a dive
Into the unknown
We're running out of air
And time is running out
We have to face the fact
That this might be the end
But we'll never give up
We'll never give in
We'll fight to the end

Check out this song I just made at app.songr.ai #SongR @RiffitHQ

wet_goods fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 20, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I took the sub, it was a diving night
A quarter mil, to see titanic sights
We started looking out, a 10 inch piece of glass
But then the rivets all came free
And that's about the time the walls caved in on me

Nobody wants to be a panini
And be stuck in water to decompose
What the hell is PSI?
poo poo there goes the pressure gauge
How much did I spend?
How much did I spend?

Lmao

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

Someone did the math earlier and the compression would ignite the air in the sub and it would burn at like 200,000 degrees for an instant, so before they became goop they were flash fried.

All those crabs are gonna be eating good tonight

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
https://twitter.com/PepperoniDave/status/1671170170029764608

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Anyway I can’t believe you all are so callous. I mean these billionaires HAD A FAMILY*

*family currently drinking $14 white claws at the Blink 182 concert

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Blessed words to their famliies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrMLMV6E4CM

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Codependent Poster posted:

All those crabs are gonna be eating good tonight

Do crabs have a liquid diet?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

im jealous as hell of the soon to be inheriting billions dude who is chilling at the blink 182 show

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

i would never trust a man with a haircut that dumb

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

if you’re gonna drop that kind of cash copping a vacation you might as well explore some of the further regions of experience while you’re at it

demand the best. book your personalized lemarchand’s cruise today

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Do crabs have a liquid diet?

i think they are considered filter eaters

Nov 6, 2002

Wee posted:

i think they are considered filter eaters

thankfully all the occupants of that sub can now be filtered through a fine screen

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

thankfully all the occupants of that sub can now be filtered through a fine screen

they suck so loving much

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Nemesis hasn't bagged a catch like this in a while, possibly since the Titanic herself

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Deptfordx posted:

I'm sure it's as stupid as 'carbon is cool'

*rambles about carbon nanontubes for a minute*

Your basic cargo cult 'Innovation!', 'Move fast and break things!'
For a custom thing like this, carbon fiber would be way cheaper. Carbon fiber itself isn't all that expensive. The main expense is labor costs in laying it up by hand. I reckon the cost would be vastly less than having to fabricate a custom steel vessel - which would have to be cast or formed completely custom anyway, with higher capital costs.

Carbon has much less margin for error though. It fails catastrophically when it fails, and there's all sorts of problems that can happen with epoxy bonding between layers delaminating and such. As an example: steel or aluminum bicycles can safely be ridden if they get dents. Any failure means the frame gets more and more out of alignment until it becomes unrideable. Carbon fails catastrophically and unpredictably. Any damage on a carbon frame means it is unsafe to ride.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

im jealous as hell of the soon to be inheriting billions dude who is chilling at the blink 182 show

Don't forget it was just his stepdad, so its probably a complete win for him.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Still lolling at cheaping out on the viewport which would be the weakest point even if it was built to withstand the appropriate pressure. My company inspects pressure vessels and this thing wouldn’t have passed to dive in a swimming pool never mind the bottom of the ocean.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

abigserve posted:

Boys made the submarine from Iron Lung lmao

From several pages back, but that was my thought as well, they're just prepping for an eventual blood moon dive :zombie:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I saw today that one of the people in the sub is a hugely experienced deep-sea diver, Paul-Henri Nargeolet. He's old enough to have been in every vessel capable of descending to the Titanic wreck, he's been down there many many times, and even with all those years of experience, he chose to get into this obvious deathtrap:

My personal, entirely factless theory is that he knew he was close to death anyway and had a lifelong morbid curiosity about what dying in a sub implosion was like.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
We all died
In a discount submarine
A discount submarine
A discount submarine

As we scream into the void (to the void)
Every one of us (every one of us)
Has poo poo ourselves (poo poo ourselves)
Smell of piss (smell of piss)
An old touchscreen
In our discount (in our discount)
Submarine (submarine, aha)

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 20, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grey Cat posted:

Well if it didn't cause the fire you'd definitely barely register that water coming at you and shredding you. Assuming you're 4 feet away you'd have about 13milliseconds or a blink's worth of time before splat.
E: no wait a blink is 100ms, nvm. They'd just blissfully splat.
Ee: apparently you can register 13ms, sucks to suck.

16ms is one frame of a videogame

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

wilderthanmild posted:

Lol so their last millisecond of consciousness was "Beep?"

I don't think that's enough time for your brain to even process a sound, tbh

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
My entire frame of consciousness has been absorbed by Groversub news. I can't get enough of it for some reason

The haunting detail that, while My Heart Will Go On is NOT currently playing, but the CEO's personal spotify playlist might be, is grim AND grisly

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

16ms is one frame of a videogame

only people who can parry in street fighter would see the end coming.

Nov 6, 2002

Pookah posted:

I saw today that one of the people in the sub is a hugely experienced deep-sea diver, Paul-Henri Nargeolet. He's old enough to have been in every vessel capable of descending to the Titanic wreck, he's been down there many many times, and even with all those years of experience, he chose to get into this obvious deathtrap:

My personal, entirely factless theory is that he knew he was close to death anyway and had a lifelong morbid curiosity about what dying in a sub implosion was like.

i can't get over that they didn't put like, you know seats with a harness in this thing

just a big old dumb tube, crawl in there fellas, stretch your legs out

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Ejector seats would have been lit

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ex dragon punch to the surface

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So in 100ish years is there going to be a Titanic squeal based off this?

Cos if so that would have to be longest original film to sequel.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzS96auqau0
Volume.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
There was a tweet I saw in another thread saying that this "sub" had 40 hours of oxygen left. So assuming these idiots are still alive, I wonder how much that's affected by 4-5 of them all using the same oxygen supply?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Lieutenant Dan posted:

My entire frame of consciousness has been absorbed by Groversub news. I can't get enough of it for some reason

Same. Coincidently I've been reading a book this past week about U-boat warfare and I got lots of thoughts about submersibles. I told my husband when he got home about the Bluetooth Logitech steering system and how they got to sit cross-legged on the floor or what the difference is between a Uboat and a submarine and a submersible and the Alvin and he looked at me like I'm the loving weirdo in this marriage or something.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Unsinkable submersible sinks en route to visiting wreck of unsinkable ship

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Nobody glamorous on board. Best they can hope for is a comedy.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

There was a tweet I saw in another thread saying that this "sub" had 40 hours of oxygen left. So assuming these idiots are still alive, I wonder how much that's affected by 4-5 of them all using the same oxygen supply?

How much you wanna bet even less time because I feel like this thing didn't have a CO2 scrubber.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Hazo posted:

Has Lemon commented on this yet

Not because I want to hear it, but because in this stupid timeline I have no doubt several idiotic news outlets have asked him for his take because some people still think he's a genius tech bazingannaire instead of an inbred racist drug addict welfare leeching failson whose opinions are utterly worthless

i mean hell even people in this thread are drawing connections between the two lmao

Who?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

dr_rat posted:

Cos if so that would have to be longest original film to sequel.

There already was a Titanic II film, no joke: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_II_(film)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

One might assume that number took into account the number of people on board? Or ami missing something here?