Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I got rid of my egg mutant and replaced it with something more useful.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I've just twice now had the game freeze up on me attempting to do a weekend nexus mission of digging up bones, anyone else running into this? I decided to do this on my expedition save, maybe that's the cause

e: third time it happened, this time on my regular save. well, enjoy the data HG

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 16, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
the only time I've had weird stupid crash issues like that recently, they've largely been solved by "turning off multiplayer"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah playing the expedition it’s been pretty crashy, but going back to my regular save it’s been fine.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
So I found what I feel is a "pretty good" planet with two trade depots within sight of each other, mostly-pleasant environment and deep water/salt/chlorine minerals everywhere :shrug:

I kind of like that about this game, that it's random enough and exploration is quick enough that you can get a cool jackpot feeling once in a while
e: ships that land and can be bought are fixed for each location right? because this spot has an S-class hauler and exotic

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 17, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Saxophone posted:

No Man’s Sky: My Dog Laid an Egg

that's a dog egg I won from my game, I'm not in trouble at all.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I figure a crash can be one of a million things. Case in point, the space station in my home/settlement system crashes every time I approach the upgrade vendors and has for a few months now. Just one of those NMS things.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

tbh I'm just not really feeling this Expedition. Go to planet, fix robot part, rinse and repeat. Nothing feels new or interesting, it's just chores.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Yeah, it seems like it's mostly interesting if you're deeply into the lore, especially vis a vis "what's the deal with the crystallized robot dudes / the entity that's always going on about water and glass and poo poo and their relationship with the atlas". Word on the street is that this ongoing story is going to be the focus of the game for the next little bit - Interceptor was part 1, this was part 2.

On the other hand, the robot dude skin reward is nice if you're into that kind of thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I’m finding the little story to be nice. But it is pretty chore-y

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Khanstant posted:

that's a dog egg I won from my game, I'm not in trouble at all.

lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Is there a way to get the Expedition 10 Jetpack in an normal save? I don't see it in the Expedition Shop for my permadeath game after finishing E10.

I believe it is this thing: https://www.nomansskyresources.com/construction-parts/aeron-turbojet

Basically you do what you did in the exposition but you have to actually find the dissonant system yourself. I found one pretty quick just by going into free explore on the galaxy map and just mousing over places until I found one. I guess you also have to actually use the echo locator which I never used during the expo.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I think someone slipped 5 Stasis Devices into my inventory while I was on the Anomaly that I can apparently sell for 78 million units...

I'm only a few hours in and have never had anywhere close to that amount of money, so thanks random person! :D

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

your welcome

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My weapons crafter wants me to fight against a bunch of sentinels and I watched a video on that mission and it looks to be part of what I most dislike about NMS: ground combat and waves of enemies.

Will it matter if I stop following their quest line?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It's not so bad, and there's a bunch of stuff where you'll end up fighting sentinels. Just find a weapon that seems cool, upgrade it a bit, make sure you have like 10k of ammo and you'll do fine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Well... okay. I read that because the mission can get bugged it's best to deselect it before leaving the base, find a building protected by Sentinels and re-select the mission so that if you die or they stop spawning they'll naturally be more Sentinels to kill if you need them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

don't board your ship during that unless you want to fight a bunch of sentinel starships, I found that really unrewarding and annoying (had to jump out of the system to get rid of them)
e: the sentinel starships do not count towards the mission kill requirement either

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

beep boop

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I appreciate this robo head looking like it's constantly screaming. I finagled them both and prefer this one to the Crimson.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Fanatic posted:

I think someone slipped 5 Stasis Devices into my inventory while I was on the Anomaly that I can apparently sell for 78 million units...

I'm only a few hours in and have never had anywhere close to that amount of money, so thanks random person! :D

I love this poo poo.

I actually had trouble making money in this game for a long time and someone doing this got me kickstarted into money being a factor of time rather than effort.

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Rick posted:

I love this poo poo.

I actually had trouble making money in this game for a long time and someone doing this got me kickstarted into money being a factor of time rather than effort.

I try to play Santa Claus and give away high space-dollar items to other travellers from time to time. Too frequently their inventory is full and cannot accept it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Whats a good amount of money to target to have on hand? like if I want to make sure I can buy a couple S class ships if they pop up

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Savage Bliss posted:

I try to play Santa Claus and give away high space-dollar items to other travellers from time to time. Too frequently their inventory is full and cannot accept it.

I like to do that to players still flying the starter ship, they're almost guaranteed to be newbies

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

need a way to automatically be like "no thanks dude", I've had to trash an inventory's worth of those super high value items a couple of times. don't want 'em.

I'll give them away to someone else when I remember to check for them but often I'll be halfway to the next planet or whatever when I notice them lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 21, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Rick posted:

I love this poo poo.

the fun ways to make money in this game, imo, are
1. upgrading your scanner with a bunch of s class upgrades that boost scan rewards by like 10,000%, and then you earn a couple hundred thousands units for each creature you scan. potentially 1 million + units if you scan around a bit on every planet. its in the spirit of the game more than oxygen multiplying your chlorine while you stand in front of a bunch of refiners
2. harvesting storm crystals. theyre pretty valuable and its fun flying around in a huge storm that kills you when you step out of the cockpit and running around getting the magic rocks
3. idk, getting the ancient bones and stuff can be cool sometimes

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You can also make quite a bit of money by raiding flotillas in pirate star systems (space combat in pirate systems doesn’t proc sentinels) and selling the contraband in normal systems. If you want you can also clean out the pirate station merchant inventorie(s) to maximize profit — and the mystery tech / weaponry packages are also the quickest and most reliable way of converting credits into nanites for equipment / ship upgrades

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
crashed interceptors is how I made my nest egg last expedition, the combination of "easy to guaranteed find" and "pretty easy to fix early" added up fast (but I also don't really use credits for anything past the point that I'm skimming random resources and crafting materials off traders in stations instead of finding/mining/building it myself)

bird with big dick posted:

Whats a good amount of money to target to have on hand? like if I want to make sure I can buy a couple S class ships if they pop up

S-class ships after the inventory changes I think all go for like 30-50 million a pop maximum without a trade in, the only thing more expensive than that is if you're buying a freighter upgrade out of pocket

pretty much anything else you buy with credits is exponentially less than that unless you're spending actual money on spaceship inventory upgrades instead of using inventory upgrade items

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Can this expedition get run an 2nd time so you get both cosmetic heads?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

5er posted:

Yes

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

5er posted:

if you save before you select one head you can just reload and select the other one, since it's an account-wide unlock

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Can my wingmen PLEASE STOP GETTING IN THE WAY OF MY SHOTS

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm at about the same point now that I was in my original playthrough when I gave up. This time though I feel like continuing, and am enjoying switching off from the main quest, to side quests, to base related stuff. I need to collect SO MUCH MORE ferrite and copper to begin extending my base for the additional staff, including the exocraft garage I have in mind.

And although I thought I'd have no need of it I find myself regularly bringing out that huge flying beetle so that I can ride it to points of interest.

Losing interest in the freighter because my one frigate despite being a combat vessel keeps getting thrashed on 1 star combat missions. Also the missions only seem good for accumulating random crap to fill up the storage.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 23, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

Can my wingmen PLEASE STOP GETTING IN THE WAY OF MY SHOTS

This is in the finest space sim tradition. Lookin at you, Maniac, ya fuckin dipshit.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Phy posted:

This is in the finest space sim tradition. Lookin at you, Maniac, ya fuckin dipshit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm at about the same point now that I was in my original playthrough when I gave up. This time though I feel like continuing, and am enjoying switching off from the main quest, to side quests, to base related stuff. I need to collect SO MUCH MORE ferrite and copper to begin extending my base for the additional staff, including the exocraft garage I have in mind.

And although I thought I'd have no need of it I find myself regularly bringing out that huge flying beetle so that I can ride it to points of interest.

Losing interest in the freighter because my one frigate despite being a combat vessel keeps getting thrashed on 1 star combat missions. Also the missions only seem good for accumulating random crap to fill up the storage.

you should probably just start buying up the cheap bottom tier commodities at various traders, you can either warp from station to station with the personal teleporter gate or if you're a little bit lucky the pilots landing and leaving constantly will have the commodities you want.

for frigates you kind of want to send them in groups of 4-5, and then it becomes a pretty reliable source of money and/or rare resources. combat and trade missions pay the most money, exploration and industrial missions lean towards rare materials which you can use or sell or refine. the bigger hassle is collecting the Di-Hydrogen you need to make fuel for them, it isn't usually for sale that I've seen and has to be collected manually or maybe you can set up an automated mine for it.

one of the first things you should probably do for a freighter is build all 10 of the storage modules, they combine their storage capacity together and you can just just stash them way out in the boonies of your freighter build, or you can move them around in the editor later if you need to. accessing that storage is a little bit jank but you can access it very easily anywhere on the freighter via the tab inventory screen -> Quick Transfer menu option:

the other big first thing is unlock and build a teleporter room aboard the freighter, then you can use any personal teleporter anywhere to just warp back and forth at will.

e: important note interacting with the freighter storage rooms, getting things back out is less simple (from what I can tell you have to go open specific storage rooms that each have 50 slots) but building or crafting anything while onboard the freighter will pull from that collection of inventory space. refiners can also pull from storage room inventory as well I think.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 23, 2023

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

The random crap tends to be worth a reasonable amount of cash with which you can solve the ferrite problem and potentially the copper one depending on the system. Once you have a reliably stable income of some kind it's much more efficient to just buy materials than mine them yourself.

Sometimes it's just junk though and more or less worthless.

Typically I find sending a lone frigate off into the void isn't profitable with the exceptions of, like, the organic one or the special event Normandy from a little while back. Try to save enough to buy at least one more, which I do recognize is a tall order, and you'll probably see better results.

e: don't get me wrong, frigate missions will never be the best moneymaker in the game or anything but once you have a little fleet it's reliable passive income.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So each system will always yield the same cosmetic version of sentinel interceptors? I got two from the same system that looks the same, although one is far better quality

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So each system will always yield the same cosmetic version of sentinel interceptors? I got two from the same system that looks the same, although one is far better quality

Yeah. I just spent a couple of hours hunting some down after collecting an ungodly amount of those echo locator things or whatever they are. The Anomaly also gives some of the Dreadnought items as quest rewards that guide you directly to an Interceptor which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The frig missions are some of the easiest ways to get the materials for iridesite and geodesite which it also just gives you directly sometimes which really cuts the expense in high end manufacturing of fusion igniters and stasis devices ($$$$$$). Making and selling those will get you so much money.

The setup for that though is a big investment in time to build all sorts of different types of farms that will likely be over different systems.

It’s probably easiest to just start with a living glass mine because the starter materials are all common and don’t involve any gas extraction so you can see if you like farming/manufacturing and make some good money on it before going nutso.