Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

ledge posted:

I'm going to assume they meant theory, as in the theory of gravity, or theory of evolution.

Yeah theory in that regard - and always good to get more published on it as unlike other more 'accepted' theories there are plenty of people out there that would still argue otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I always wondered about provisions - fish sure, but fresh water is a much bigger issue and takes up a lot of space

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Wafflecopper posted:

it's pretty big yeah

It's one of those super interesting things and I'm always taken aback by the lack of intellectual curiosity by some people who just say something like "who fucken cares dumb maoris" or whatever. How can you not read about something like that and wonder how they did this or that and what it was like.

I've been lucky enough to go to a couple of other pacific islands and something I liked was trying to figure out which words were the same in the other languages, which were similar but said differently, and which were completely not related.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Bolivian Quechua name for sweet potato is kumara.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Probably just a coincidence

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

Wondering how long until TOP's AI candidate turns out to be a 2023 version of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_(chatbot)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The TOP model has the bigotry built in from the start

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i don’t like how the ministry of health deals with some things

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
I know it's not a popular opinion here but the Greens seriously need to step away from identity politics and towards broad base social welfare and environmentalism. These things will disproportionality benefit maori/PI anyway. Watch TOP get 4% party vote because of Davidson :rolleyes:

The tax policy was bold and I doubt lost them a single vote, hopefully gained a few. Certainly more meaningful policy than the nats are putting out. Culture wars are just free hits for the right.

jpparker55 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 20, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who should I vote for

back in 99 I voted for ACT to impress a girl. it didn’t work. now I vote to impress strangers on internet forums

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

who should I vote for

back in 99 I voted for ACT to impress a girl. it didn’t work. now I vote to impress strangers on internet forums

it's not working now either lmao

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I vote greens and probably always will, but if I thought TOP had an opportunity (hah) to get into power I would probably give them my vote. ACT can definitely go gently caress themselves.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
proper politics requires a balance of both sides. vote green/act

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
top is a centre-right party

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

exmarx posted:

top is a centre-right party

Centrilism is often tedious bullshit but "tedious bullshit" is also how I've been feeling about and would describe the Green party this cycle. They both effectively represent my views on the important things: Climate, Housing and better Tax/UBI system so I would vote for whichever one is actually closer to grabbing any real power.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Xik posted:

Centrilism is often tedious bullshit but "tedious bullshit" is also how I've been feeling about and would describe the Green party this cycle. They both effectively represent my views on the important things: Climate, Housing and better Tax/UBI system so I would vote for whichever one is actually closer to grabbing any real power.

They can't both represent your views on housing. Raf Manji is just another NIMBY with his "Chch doesn't need the MDRS" bullshit.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Taitale posted:

They can't both represent your views on housing. Raf Manji is just another NIMBY with his "Chch doesn't need the MDRS" bullshit.

Got a link or quote or something because that's like the exact opposite of their published party policy.

e: Is the joke going to be that he doesn't think Christchurch is a "central city or transit node" so actually doesn't need to follow the MDRS lmao

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Manji said the city needs a strong voice in Wellington to advocate what works best for the city itself, citing issues such as the loss of the city’s polytechnic and Three Waters.

“Whether you have a Labour MP, National MP, whatever, they’re not gonna be getting up and banging the table and saying, ‘Christchurch in the South Island, X, Y, and Z’, and I’m gonna be doing that.

“And there are a whole bunch of issues here that people are seriously hacked off about - the MDRS (Medium Density Residential Standards) is one of them.

“We don’t need it. People don’t know Ilam at all. You can already do development anywhere you like. We did all of this rezoning post-earthquakes. I chaired a finance and strategy committee, which oversaw the increase in land supply all the way out to Selwyn, and that’s why house prices in Christchurch have been very, very steady.”

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Xik posted:

Got a link or quote or something because that's like the exact opposite of their published party policy.

e: Is the joke going to be that he doesn't think Christchurch is a "central city or transit node" so actually doesn't need to follow the MDRS lmao

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/polit...JBJA2AIAVJ5O4E/

Text is what exmarx posted.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
"He does not believe that position would hurt the party outside the city as he said the standards are useful in places like suburban Auckland where there are closed-down shops next to train stations."

MDRS for thee, but not for me? smh

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i was trying to find out if they still had a repulsive immigration policy but it turns out they don't even have one anymore... for a party of technocrat losers there's sure very little detail in what few they have published lol
https://www.top.org.nz/policy

quote:

A fair housing market
Increasing housing supply via five critical reforms to the housing market.

1. Removing the current Bright Line Test and allowing tax deductibility of interest for landlords, which is replaced by the Land Value Tax.
  2. Requiring a deposit of 100% of the value of an existing home when purchased for investment purposes. This ensures property investors don’t just use the value of an existing home to purchase another (reducing property speculation).
  3. Returning the GST on new residential builds back to local councils to fund infrastructure development.
  4. Clearing the public housing waiting list via the establishment of a $3 billion development fund for Community Housing Associations.
  5. Supporting urban densification for central cities and transit nodes. Councils will be required to demonstrate that they have enough land zoned for new residential housing in line with the NPS-UD and MDRS.

#5 is the status quo; #1, #2 and #4 are pro-landlord (from memory, they fund the $3b for chps by not building public housing), and #3 is bad tax policy.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

jpparker55 posted:

I know it's not a popular opinion here but the Greens seriously need to step away from identity politics and towards broad base social welfare and environmentalism.

That "I joined the left for worker's rights and decent wages, not this loving weird-rear end poo poo" post was making the rounds on Twitter last week a fair bit.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I really do think saying that Marama Davidson's correct and brave observations of who causes violence has lost the greens votes is just a fragile white mans just-so story to validate a tantrum and justify giving up his principles. Workers rights and women's rights are one and the same. There is no way in hell anyone can say with any authority that what Marama said had lost the greens voters. Its absurd to even pretend you could possibly know that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

everyone's forgotten Marama Davidson's (accurate) statement about cis white men anyway

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

klen dool posted:

I really do think saying that Marama Davidson's correct and brave observations of who causes violence has lost the greens votes is just a fragile white mans just-so story to validate a tantrum and justify giving up his principles. Workers rights and women's rights are one and the same. There is no way in hell anyone can say with any authority that what Marama said had lost the greens voters. Its absurd to even pretend you could possibly know that.

white men are garbage and mostly vote for national so thinking the greens lost votes over marama is peak idiot

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

El Pollo Blanco posted:

white men are garbage and mostly vote for national so thinking the greens lost votes over marama is peak idiot

the racism is coming from inside the thread

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

El Pollo Blanco posted:

this isn't to claim you're wrong but has anyone got an accurate number on this tendency? I know most nat voters have gotta be white men but how many white men are nat voters, percentage wise?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

most green party voters are white and middle class, fairly even gender split

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

most green party voters are white and middle class, fairly even gender split

This is why they'll never pivot away from identity politics

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

imo the reason they won't pivot away from identity politics is because they're a values based party with a commitment to equity and Te Tiriti :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol wtf is equality, that is a meaningless term

The 1% who own our lives having demographic breakdown identical to the population at large = equality

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

yes that's why the green party values equity, not equality :)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"identity politics" is one of the foundational principles of the green party not just of new zealand but across the world.

equity is not the same thing as equality.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: ^^identity politics, as it exists today, is a device used by capital to direct otherwise good and well meaning people into causes that safely funnel their energy away from class conflict + increase division among the working class so they don't get any funny ideas

My bad, I don't read good, wtf is equity meant to mean in this context

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 20, 2023

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I tried to learn what "Identity Politics" means but all I've discovered so far is that it's another shorthand for "I'm racist". I agree with the most of what the greens are doing, we have to address race or other identity based issues if we want to have worker's rights and decent pay for everybody

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

thank u Bomber

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

I tried to learn what "Identity Politics" means but all I've discovered so far is that it's another shorthand for "I'm racist". I agree with the most of what the greens are doing, we have to address race or other identity based issues if we want to have worker's rights and decent pay for everybody

This is structurally impossible because capitalism creates inequality as a basic function of itself, you literally cannot address this stuff in a meaningful way because it isn't caused by people just magically being bigoted but whatever I'm wasting my energy with this poo poo

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

E: ^^identity politics, as it exists today, is a device used by capital to direct otherwise good and well meaning people into causes that safely funnel their energy away from class conflict + increase division among the working class so they don't get any funny ideas

This is true but is also a massive straw man of "identity politics" that's deployed by white leftists who don't like being told that their politics are blinkered.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Slavvy posted:

funnel their energy away from class conflict

Slavvy posted:

I'm wasting my energy with this poo poo
Your HP doesn't go down if you're not spending every waking moment thinking about capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Your HP doesn't go down if you're not spending every waking moment thinking about capitalism.

Yes it does :colbert: that's why the health bar is red