Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

cat botherer posted:

If their bodies are recovered, the effects of explosive compression could make for a very unique and interesting display in future exhibits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Cowslips Warren posted:

i still think it was the loving orcas.

i love you, orcas.

how long until they give this poo poo up, and then they start a new cruise looking for it?

Do I want to know who signed off on this cause I can't wait to see the lawsuits.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Wee posted:

Ok everyone, prepare to have your minds blown by this for the first time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

I wish I could read it again for the first time

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Now out, Kate Bush's new single, "Running Out That Air"

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Crazypoops posted:

I wish I could read it again for the first time

I regretted every second of reading it, but could not stop.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Vegetable posted:

They just announced that their CEO was piloting the sub. They held off for so long before announcing this.

Lmao one of the first articles I read when this first came out said that there were five people on board and there was always one pilot and one "Content Expert" (I'm guessing a fancy name for a tour guide) in addition to the passengers.

So all this time I've been thinking it was

Pilot
CEO (acting as tour guide)
British billionaire profiting off Dubai slave labor
Pakistani millionaire
Pakistani millionaire's son

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Reading the "medical findings" section and remembering that all that carnage was caused by a decompression from 9 atmo to 1. If the same thing happened to that sub when contact was lost it would have been a decompression of 400 to 1.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Pretty disappointed that news sites don't all have a big live timer ticking down until the air runs out tbh

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
At what point was the sub actually lost? Was it Sunday or Saturday? Talking with the co-worker who just doesn't understand how they can't find it because don't subs have GPS on them? Because you know the ocean is small enough that GPS is going to be accurate 🙂

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Pretty disappointed that news sites don't all have a big live timer ticking down until the air runs out tbh

NYT's needle currently trending away from "Lean Rescue" towards "Lean Dead."

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Breaking news: the sub was recovered and it appears to be sabotage. The hull was damaged by someone using a bladed instrument to scrawl YOUR NOT MY REAL DAD BLINK RULEZ in the carbon fiber.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Getting popped in a lovely sub just to see some garbage rear end shipwreck lmao

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cowslips Warren posted:

At what point was the sub actually lost? Was it Sunday or Saturday? Talking with the co-worker who just doesn't understand how they can't find it because don't subs have GPS on them? Because you know the ocean is small enough that GPS is going to be accurate 🙂

Apparently they lost contact an hour and half'ish in. I don't think there's any other information than that.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I'm struggling to come up with an analogy for how stupid it would be to use carbon fibre for a pressure hull. Chocolate teapot, perhaps?

The primary benefits of CFRP is high strength (in tension) to weight ratio, which is pointless in a submarine because weight is never a big issue*. The one thing you never do with CFRP is put it in compression.

*Unless you're the Spanish and you build submarines that will immediately sink: https://qz.com/86988/spain-just-spent-680-million-on-a-submarine-that-cant-swim

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Danger - Octopus! posted:

https://countingdownto.com/?c=4831670

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I'd be stress/boredom jacking it non-stop, tbqh.

The downside here is that if you survive you get a boner every time your ears pop

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

thankfully all the occupants of that sub can now be filtered through a fine screen

Billionaires learn one weird trick for getting a camel to pass through the eye of a needle

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Plucky Brit posted:

I'm struggling to come up with an analogy for how stupid it would be to use carbon fibre for a pressure hull. Chocolate teapot, perhaps?

The primary benefits of CFRP is high strength (in tension) to weight ratio, which is pointless in a submarine because weight is never a big issue*. The one thing you never do with CFRP is put it in compression.

*Unless you're the Spanish and you build submarines that will immediately sink: https://qz.com/86988/spain-just-spent-680-million-on-a-submarine-that-cant-swim

i think you'll find it's revolutionary, no one has ever done it before for some reason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cowslips Warren posted:

The sub has 96 hours worth of oxygen for five and according to the company the sub was down to 41 hours by 1PM EST today, so if my awful math is correct that means they submerged at 6AM EST Saturday morning. Apparently they lost contact fairly quickly, like an hour or two in.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Cowslips Warren posted:

GPS signals have trouble with leaves, no GPS signal is getting through 3 and a half miles of water

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Look all I'm saying is if I wanted to look at the wreck of the Titanic I could do it for free on YouTube from my couch and not be crushed by 400 atm of pressure

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 20, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there's a lot of good analysis here, but he seems to think this is the first time the vehicle went to that depth and with more than one person on board. there is video from them visiting the titanic wreck in the past with multiple crew, so that part at least is wrong.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Somewhere James Cameron is both salivating at this, and thinking, man. I know what Avatar 4 is going to be about. The deep seas of Pandora.

He will then invent or use enough deep sea subs to film everything on location.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1671265574783950849

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

They lost contact an hour and 45 minutes into the dive on Sunday. The submersible doesn't have any onboard navigation at all, so once they were out of contact they were also off course.

Real submarines designed for long term underwater travel use inertial navigation systems (INS) because satnav is just not an option under even a little bit of water. Military subs can of course surface to re-align using satnav or stars or use towed buoys to do so from just under the surface, but there's a lot of technology not to mention crew skilled in rote navigation to make sure submarines and even surface vessels know where they are.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 20, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Cowslips Warren posted:

they navigate via text message sent via a lovely sonar transceiver that depends on the ship being directly above them, theres no gps

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

loving ap news doing clickbait. shameful

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This guy made all the tutorial videos for Cold Waters that I watched. His take on this is interesting.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

JerikTelorian posted:

They were lost an hour and 45 minutes into the dive on Sunday.

Real submarines designed for underwater travel use inertial navigation systems (INS) because satnav is just not an option under even a little bit of water. Military subs can of course surface to re-align using SATNAV or stars or use towed buoys to do so from just under the surface, but there's a lot of technology not to mention crew skilled in rote navigation to make sure submarines and even surface vessels know where they are.

it did have INS, so the operator on board would've had some idea where / how deep they were, but it lost comms with the surface. this was apparently expected and happened on a previous dive, but in that case contact was regained when they began to surface at the end of the dive.

comms ending at 1:45 doesn't necessarily mean that's when a failure occurred, though it's not a bad guess. i read something about it sending an acoustic pulse every 15 minutes, and by now i assume they've had multiple ships listening for any sign of it in a wide area and haven't heard anything. that to me is the biggest indicator that it's not simply lost, it's destroyed or completely disabled.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 20, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

JerikTelorian posted:

They lost contact an hour and 45 minutes into the dive on Sunday. The submersible doesn't have any onboard navigation at all, so once they were out of contact they were also off course.

Real submarines designed for underwater travel use inertial navigation systems (INS) because satnav is just not an option under even a little bit of water. Military subs can of course surface to re-align using SATNAV or stars or use towed buoys to do so from just under the surface, but there's a lot of technology not to mention crew skilled in rote navigation to make sure submarines and even surface vessels know where they are.

I think one of the most interesting military secrets that we know that exists but have no loving clue about it besides that it is certainly a capability that we have.

There is another way of communicating with subs underwater, Extremely Low Frequency radio waves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_low_frequency

However, as far as we know, the US has decommissioned our ELF facilities, which are really loving difficult to hide, so how do we communicate with our subs now? :iiam:

Either we have come up with some super secret novel way of creating EFL radio waves or we have something crazy secret like working quantum entanglement communication.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 20, 2023

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
This metal skin, they’re sinkin’ in
It must be for real, ‘cause now they can feel
This voyage to find, the Titanic spine
It’s not their time, to wonder why
Everything gone black, everything’s grey
Now that they’re stuck, in submersed decay
They didn’t want this, remember that
Wish they could forget, when the porthole cracked

They let the whole crew die
Submarine, submarine

Now they’re alone, on a billionaire’s dime
Not having fun, because Titan can’t climb
Instead of a wheel, they have Logitech steel
Unable to rise, now they’re flipping the keel
If they’d put just a tad, more safeguards in place
Could’ve done more, in that watery space

Could have been easier for them
They couldn’t change though experts wanted to
Should have been safe enough for five
Father and son, they’d all be alive
Submarine, submarine
They let the whole crew die, submarine
Ah, AH-AH-AAHHH, AHH-AHHHH-AHH

Submarine, submarine
Oh, submarine, submarine

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Instead of Celine Dion, they should've used this for their tour music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCVkm2QBG-Q

quote:

Them bones, them bones, them dry, dry bones
Come down to the locker of Davy Jones

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Three Olives posted:

However, as far as we know, the US has decommissioned our ELF facilities, which are really loving difficult to hide, so how do we communicate with our sub now? :iiam:

Submarines have just become moody and uncommunicative in their teenage years obviously.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Somewhere there's a Navy guy going "Oh, That's what I heard Sunday"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
loving 90's lied to us.
Seaquest DSV said we would have talking dolphins, cold war submarine fights, and cool hackers living underwater.
Instead we get million dollar instant chum machines.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So apparently the stepson at the Blink 182 concert is a crazy nutjob who threatened to shoot up a concert
https://web.archive.org/web/2021070...logy-show-read/

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I can't get over the making GBS threads and pissing accommodation on this 250k Elon Musk company hostage situation sewer pipe. The amount of brain worms you'd have to agree to this.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Darth Brooks posted:

Somewhere there's a Navy guy going "Oh, That's what I heard Sunday"

Or 3 months from now when they return from their patrol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I just want to say that there's a book published in the late 19th century called "The Wreck of the Titan, or; Futility" which people throughout history has compared to the Titanic and lol we've come full circle.