Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
theres crabs eating rich humans balls and rear end tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Grey Cat posted:

How much you wanna bet even less time because I feel like this thing didn't have a CO2 scrubber.

I believe it has one but it can’t keep up longer than a couple days

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Imagine you get diarrhea during the ride down. Would ruin the whole trip for everyone.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

How much you wanna bet even less time because I feel like this thing didn't have a CO2 scrubber.

A CBC article said they have a co2 scrubber and even if they lost power they could disassemble it and lay it out and it would function reasonably well.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

dr_rat posted:

So in 100ish years is there going to be a Titanic squeal based off this?

Cos if so that would have to be longest original film to sequel.

Insted of the heart of the ocean, its a crypto wallet.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

i can't get over that they didn't put like, you know seats with a harness in this thing

just a big old dumb tube, crawl in there fellas, stretch your legs out

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ThinkTank posted:

A CBC article said they have a co2 scrubber and even if they lost power they could disassemble it and lay it out and it would function reasonably well.

if heat becomes an issue those things usually are worthless though. But suppose it's better than nothing.
E: guess I wonder how much power they could have.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Dying in poo poo really does beat or work with to make worst, all others as as worst of all.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
NYT posted the industry letter to Stockton,

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/marine-technology-society-committee-2018-letter-to-ocean-gate/eddb63615a7b3764/full.pdf

quote:

March27, 2018
Oceangate Inc
1205 CraftsmanWay, Suite 112
Everett, WA 98201

Dear Stockton ,
This letter is sent on behalf of our industry members who have collectively expressed unanimous
concern regarding the development of TITAN and the planned Titanic Expedition. Our apprehension is
that the current experimental approach adopted by Oceangate could result in negative outcomes
(from minor to catastrophic) that would have serious consequences for everyone in the industry.

The MUV industry has earned itself an enviable safety track record over the past 40 years . This is partly
due to the diligent engineering discipline and professional approach exercised by members of the
industry , but also due to the collective observation of ( and adherence to ) a variety of safety standards .
This reputation is solid because it was hard won over many years of diligence application and has
resulted in a safe and successful record of operation . Our members are all aware of how important and
precious this standing is and deeply concerned that a single negative event could undo this.

Your marketing material advertises that the TITAN design will meet or exceed the DNV-GL safety
standards, yet it does not appear that Oceangate has the intention of following DNV- GL class rules. Your
representation is, at minimum, misleading to the public and breaches an industry- wide professional
code of conduct we all endeavor to uphold.

We do all agree that a performance - based testing program for design verification is a recognized and
valid approach to new technologies . However , we recommend that at a minimum you institute a
prototype testing program that is reviewed and witnessed by DNV -GL (or ABS ). While this may demand
additional time and expense , it is our unanimous view that this validation process by a third -party is a
critical component in the safeguards that protect all submersible occupants.

Together we are all beneficiaries of the excellent safety record of MUV operations over the years; but
each one of us is also a steward with a responsibility to sustain this achievement. We would be grateful
if you could confirm that Oceangate can see the future benefit of its investment in adhering to our
industry accepted safety guidelines and protocols for ultimate success and that of the MUV community.

Sincerely yours,

They didn't include the signatories, but name a few in the article

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/06/20/us/titanic-missing-submarine

Fansy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 20, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Chief McHeath posted:

has any of em jacked off while they’re down there i know i would

With explosive decompression? Oh, their nuts got busted all right

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pookah posted:

I saw today that one of the people in the sub is a hugely experienced deep-sea diver, Paul-Henri Nargeolet. He's old enough to have been in every vessel capable of descending to the Titanic wreck, he's been down there many many times, and even with all those years of experience, he chose to get into this obvious deathtrap:

My personal, entirely factless theory is that he knew he was close to death anyway and had a lifelong morbid curiosity about what dying in a sub implosion was like.

I saw some old quotes from him earlier, that I now can't find due to the sheer volume of news stories, basically where he was saying that he's totally chill with the idea of death coming so quick you wouldn't know about it if something goes wrong underwater, so he'd pretty much accepted that at some point it could happen and that's just how it was.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I'd be stress/boredom jacking it non-stop, tbqh.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

the nazi guy who bought twitter

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

dr_rat posted:

So in 100ish years is there going to be a Titanic squeal based off this?

Cos if so that would have to be longest original film to sequel.

My Fart Will Go On

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Too bad that Gordon Lightfoot is no longer with us; he could have written a sequel to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald about this saga.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Pookah posted:

I saw today that one of the people in the sub is a hugely experienced deep-sea diver, Paul-Henri Nargeolet. He's old enough to have been in every vessel capable of descending to the Titanic wreck, he's been down there many many times, and even with all those years of experience, he chose to get into this obvious deathtrap:

My personal, entirely factless theory is that he knew he was close to death anyway and had a lifelong morbid curiosity about what dying in a sub implosion was like.

This is like those free climbers who just keep climbing until they get old enough to slip up and fall off a mountain because gently caress it, got to go sometime.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I saw some old quotes from him earlier, that I now can't find due to the sheer volume of news stories, basically where he was saying that he's totally chill with the idea of death coming so quick you wouldn't know about it if something goes wrong underwater, so he'd pretty much accepted that at some point it could happen and that's just how it was.

hope he shared that with his guests and their familes!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Would SOSUS be capable of picking up the sound from the sub imploding? Wasn't the whole point of it to listen for subs in the Atlantic?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fansy posted:

I have so much more respect for Triton subs after this.

I don't know why you'd cheap out on groversub's toilet window when full 360 view exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkfTSlTnaBQ

lol that fishbutt at 6:42

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Dignity out of 10?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Glumslinger posted:

Would SOSUS be capable of picking up the sound from the sub imploding? Wasn't the whole point of it to listen for subs in the Atlantic?

IUSS (former SOSUS) should be able to, if it’s properly functional and depending on what else it was being used for at the time.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I'd love to see the technical drawings (if they ever existed).

The CEO is the personification of Feynman's quote about NASA management during the Challenger disaster:

"The fact that this danger did not lead to a catastrophe before is no guarantee that it will not the next time, unless it is completely understood. When playing Russian roulette the fact that the first shot got off safely is little comfort for the next."

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

The CEO is the personification of Feynman's quote about NASA management during the Challenger disaster:

"The fact that this danger did not lead to a catastrophe before is no guarantee that it will not the next time, unless it is completely understood. When playing Russian roulette the fact that the first shot got off safely is little comfort for the next."

They used carbon fibre, a material which is worse than steel in compression, to design a submarine, based on "NASA scientists" telling them this when NASA scientists design positive pressure systems (ie, the shell of the spacecraft is in tension because of the internal gas pressure).

Their technical documents likely do not exist. I would actually suspect that whoever raised concerns about the use of carbon fibre in compression was fired, despite numerous studies showing just how bad an idea carbon fibre is in compression (here's a good one even showing the failure mode, microbuckling: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6073288/, and gives an exmaple of how drastically poo poo carbon fibre is in compression, some samples having compressive strengths before fracture of 400mpa, but having tensile failure strengths of 1200MPA).

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Dark Off posted:

certifying or rebuilding the front window was too expensive :allears:

who needs regulations and standards, not this guy, no sir

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Plucky Brit posted:

I imagine it was something like this:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pookah posted:

I think he was just so obsessed with the Titanic that he'd risk death to see it.

He had to have known about the whole Marine Technology Society thought this sub was a crock of poo poo. He's written articles for the MTS journal! He's probably in the MTS.

lmao RMS Titanic Inc, the company that Nargeolet works for, is part of the same company that does the "BODIES!" exhibition -- ie the chinese knock-off of Body Worlds that is probably using executed criminals and black-market sources. And they've been playing games with bankruptcy to sell off Titanic artifacts.

The dude is willing to work for a scum business just to keep doing Titanic dives.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dka29FSZac

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

The Glumslinger posted:

The owner probably left out the implosion sound effect to save a few bucks.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I got a long unskippable ad for seven seas fish oil while watching that video. I think that might be in poor taste.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sorry guys I was playing Silent Hunter 4 and saw a small lovely looking cylinder and blew it up.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

SchrodingersCat posted:

We all died
In a discount submarine
A discount submarine
A discount submarine

As we scream into the void (to the void)
Every one of us (every one of us)
Has poo poo ourselves (poo poo ourselves)
Smell of piss (smell of piss)
An old touchscreen
In our discount (in our discount)
Submarine (submarine, aha)

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fansy posted:

Nobody glamorous on board. Best they can hope for is a comedy.

I'm hoping for a sequel to the Titanic cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHNztg0X3s

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

has any of em jacked off while they’re down there i know i would

What happens in the sub touring the Titanic, stays at the sub touring the Titanic. Literally.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They just announced that their CEO was piloting the sub. They held off for so long before announcing this.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

My guess is they had an issue with their life support system on the way down and wound up experience blissful death by hypoxia.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Tragedy is probably not the word I'd choose.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Klyith posted:

I think he was just so obsessed with the Titanic that he'd risk death to see it.

He had to have known about the whole Marine Technology Society thought this sub was a crock of poo poo. He's written articles for the MTS journal! He's probably in the MTS.

lmao RMS Titanic Inc, the company that Nargeolet works for, is part of the same company that does the "BODIES!" exhibition -- ie the chinese knock-off of Body Worlds that is probably using executed criminals and black-market sources. And they've been playing games with bankruptcy to sell off Titanic artifacts.

The dude is willing to work for a scum business just to keep doing Titanic dives.
If their bodies are recovered, the effects of explosive compression could make for a very unique and interesting display in future exhibits.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Tragedy is probably not the word I'd choose.

I haven't been this entertained by a tragedy in a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I never even thought about the shape of the sub being an issue, but you goons are right, regular submarines don't go that deep when they're tube shape, they have to be spherical.

At least they died doing what they loved, being crammed into a small space smelling of human fear, human feces, and no poor people in sight.

Many years ago when I could still scuba dive, the deepest I ever went on a deep water dive was 100 ft down. And I remember looking up and realizing just how far 100 ft was and that if something happened, I was totally boned because I would have to stop periodically to decompress so I didn't get the bends and just dropped dead. Almost everything in the ocean is totally happy if you do that though. I don't know if there's any deeper open water dives that people can scuba dive to, but 100 ft down was definitely far enough for me. I only went once or twice, and then decided any future diving would just be to 30 or 40 ft Max. Then of course one of my eardrums got damaged what I wasn't in the water, and now I can't dive at all. But that's okay. I could be on that submarine instead.