Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

skooma512 posted:

The crew of the submarine be like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Antonymous posted:

multiplying by 9 and dividing by 5 is better but you have to be able to do basic math instead of memorizing that 10% of something just moves the decimal place one position in base 10

You forgot the +32. It’s deg F = 1.8*degC+32

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

aww now I feel a little bad about the French Titanic academic. He didn’t deserve to go out that way…although if he’s the right kind of Frenchman, his last words were *deep sigh* “Eh. C’est bon.”

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
civilization as we know it will crumble, population will plummet, misery will abound.

but not in the next five years, at least not due to climate. we’re not that lucky.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SourKraut posted:

You forgot the +32. It’s deg F = 1.8*degC+32

the original discussion was about changes in temp not absolute temp

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mycomancy posted:

Sorry, gently caress me for asking a question about something.

u didn't ask a question you said fossil fuels are exploitable in the marxist sense but they're not cause fossil fuels are not paid money to give us energy they are a natural resource

you have to pay something $ to exploit it and the only thing that gets exploited by the money payments is labor.

if you could make profit from natural resources marxism wouldn't work at all

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Edit: nevermind lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Antonymous posted:

multiplying by 9 and dividing by 5 is better but you have to be able to do basic math instead of memorizing that 10% of something just moves the decimal place one position in base 10
what do i look like?? a computer?? doing math is for nerds, lol multiply by 9 get outta here. sorry but ❌

the only math I want to see is my investment gains going up and trumps electoral vote sweep on NYT front page

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Antonymous posted:

u didn't ask a question you said fossil fuels are exploitable in the marxist sense but they're not cause fossil fuels are not paid money to give us energy they are a natural resource

you have to pay something $ to exploit it and the only thing that gets exploited by the money payments is labor.

if you could make profit from natural resources marxism wouldn't work at all

K, thank you for the clarification.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
it owns that work is increasingly automized but we gotta work more because number is mad or whatever

this cuntry fuckign sucks

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

gotta say....... these don't seem like good odds

https://twitter.com/NotABigJerk/status/1671269387104395267

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
They seem like very good odds, from my perspective.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

life expectancy actually go down

Yeah we already wiped out several decades of progress by 2021 and we don’t even get the 2022 numbers for a few more months. If they raise it to 70 we might be at a point where it’s equal to or older than life expectancy.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Hahahaha God drat

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Antonymous posted:

you have to pay something $ to exploit it

What about slaves

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Yeah we already wiped out several decades of progress by 2021 and we don’t even get the 2022 numbers for a few more months. If they raise it to 70 we might be at a point where it’s equal to or older than life expectancy.

USA life expectancy is also a sham number because there is a 20+ million underclass not even counted

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

it’s missing the rescue of submarine S-5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_S-5

quote:

A seaman on watch aboard the wooden steamship Alanthus, making her last voyage, spotted what he thought was a buoy on 2 September 1920. Knowing that no buoy should be so far out to sea, Alanthus's captain turned his vessel around to investigate. Approaching the submarine's stern rising above the ocean, the captain hailed S-5 in maritime fashion. That conversation became legend:

"What ship?"
"S-5."
"What nationality?"
"American."
"Where bound?"
"Hell by compass."

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Shear Modulus posted:

What about slaves

I don't think slavery is compatible with Marxism

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

would it be funniest if....

1) they're rescued, alive

2) they're "rescued" (dead)

3) never found

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I don't think slavery is compatible with Marxism
Slavery is very compatible with Marxism. What use would Marxism be if it couldn't analyze things like slavery?

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

3) never found

2 assuming they can recover whatever they recorded of their last moments

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

3) never found

4) they find 20,000 crabs around a crushed ship

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
In the replies someone put a list of deaths related to Andrea Doria.

IDK maybe grave robbing a shipwreck is a bad idea?

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

It would be highly unsatisfying if they're never found, dead or alive. We need to see the results of hubris.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

What about slaves

exploitation in the marxist sense is how profit is made under capitalism. slaves are exploited, but not 'in the marxist sense', because they are property and the internal dynamic of slavery is compelled labor rather than purchased labor

marxist exploitation happens because the value of purchasing labor is not intrinsically tied to the value produced by labor, something pretty obvious... but for any other value adding process like a machine stamping a part the cost of the machine over time will be exactly the same as the value added. productive labor's cost will be less than what it creates and that's why businesses profit. that's what marx claims.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

3) never found

Rescued alive so we can get some interviews with these dipshits now that everyone knows how big of dipshits they are

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The funniest would be "rescued" dead, but they died from lack of oxygen/toilet air toxicity and left notes about how sad they were for being morons.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

I hope they save everybody

>French Titanic expert Paul-Henri Nargeolet and Stockton Rush, the CEO of OceanGate Expeditions

The CEO himself and some ancient French guy that people refer to as Mr. Titanic rather than some hapless employee.

In their deaths all things appear fair.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

3) never found

2) but we miss them by hours

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

cat botherer posted:

The funniest would be "rescued" dead, but they died from lack of oxygen/toilet air toxicity and left notes about how sad they were for being morons.

Rescued within 96 hours but long dead because the CEO lied out his rear end about how much breathable air it actually holds, IMO

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

as a thought experiment you can imagine a machine that just sits there and uses solar energy and whatever to make ice from water vapor. No human input, you just buy the machine and it sits there and makes ice. It costs $100 and can make 100 bags of ice before it breaks. You'd expect each bag of ice to sell for $1. Otherwise people will just go buy the machine.

But you hire a guy to go to an icy lake you own and chop it up and bring it to sell and he fills 100 bags and you pay him $50 to do it and sell the 100 bags for $1 each and because you had exclusive access to the ice you make $50 and he makes $50 he couldn't have made without access to the ice. He's willing to do it cause $50 is better than nothing hey he's gotta eat gotta make rent.

that's marx in a very limited kinda example. The book is like 6000 pages long if you really want to get into it

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 22:56 on Jun 20, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
buried down there with Osama wow

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

What about slaves

Marx explicitly says in the first part of kapital that’s it’s not applicable to slavery. yes slaves are exploited in the general sense but Marx specifically analyses the exploitation of workers under capitalism and the “free” selling of labor power, which slaves cannot do

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I feel bad for all the passengers, especially that 19 year old.

Hopefully they get rescued and then this company gets sued into oblivion. It’s not looking good, though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

well the company is getting sued into oblivion regardless

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

euphronius posted:

life expectancy actually go down

way down. Covid erased 30 years of gains and we are back to the 80s on the actuary tables

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Buffer posted:

way down. Covid erased 30 years of gains and we are back to the 80s on the actuary tables

Don't look at it as a curse, but a blessing! Those are fewer years you have to watch everything fall apart!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

There's maybe a point to be made re: more exploitation of labor w/r/t coal in particular because it's an operation that's heavy on labor and light on capital expenses relative to other energy sources so there is arguably more capacity for exploitation (and accompanying profits) so maybe that's what the OP was getting at. It's part of why coal mining has such a rich labor history (or rather, a bitter history). Some types of industry are inherently more suited for squeezing profit out of workers than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Rescued within 96 hours but long dead because the CEO lied out his rear end about how much breathable air it actually holds, IMO

he thought there was 96 hours of air because he left the hatch open for 96 hours before they begin their voyage.