Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

are you unable to hit both trigger and shoulder buttons at once due to some disability or ???

L1: Roll Left
R1 Roll right
L2: Height down
R2: Height Up
magic nonexistent buttons: pew pew

I ended up figuring out which way was "up" on most of the descent levels and would usually level myself to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I mean, you can’t map up, down, roll left, roll right, and fire to the 4 inputs (two trigger, two digital) on a typical controller

for that matter I’ve never even seen a controller with more than 4 shoulder inputs

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
descent is probably one of the few games i can think of that would probably be easier with a controller vs keyb & mouse

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

I mean, you can’t map up, down, roll left, roll right, and fire to the 4 inputs (two trigger, two digital) on a typical controller

for that matter I’ve never even seen a controller with more than 4 shoulder inputs

some of the newer "pro" controllers have extra paddles on the back but yeah idk where rotor's head is at

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
someone try to play descent with a wii remote please

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cat Face Joe posted:

skipping 600 poasts to say chicory is good
chicory the game is deece. wasn't interested in the infinity amounts of side quests but they're very optional. mini logins still sings the mountain top song from time to time :-)

the accessibility/content features are quite granular and good also

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

up down left right: analog stick

roll left/right: shoulder buttons

fire: right trigger

secondary fire: left trigger

strafe lock is probably one of the face buttons, as is up/down throttle

and there's still like 2 face buttons, an entire other analog stick, and whatever that fuckin touchpad thing on the ps4 controller is.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like im talking about a modern controller, not the thing from the snes here

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

does anyone still make a joystick that works for lefties? i've still got this cyborg 3d gold that i bought in like 2003 and even back then it was basically the only one that was either ambidextrous or convertible.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
you could fire with the thumb buttons too i guess. seems like it'd suck for anything except like, missiles though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The Thrustmaster T.16000 is a good joystick and it can be converted between left and right-handed versions with an allen wrench.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Elder Postsman posted:

does anyone still make a joystick that works for lefties? i've still got this cyborg 3d gold that i bought in like 2003 and even back then it was basically the only one that was either ambidextrous or convertible.

just flip it around

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Fool posted:

the best final fantasy only exists in rose colored memory and is not representative of any actual game in reality

no its tactics advance

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

actually it's unreal tournament

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

post hole digger posted:

no its tactics advance

it’s this op

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

some of the newer "pro" controllers have extra paddles on the back but yeah idk where rotor's head is at

i suppose you could use custom drivers or something, but stock these can only be used to mirror other buttons

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mariobrothblog/status/1671166434435809285

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ugh, absolute nubs the lot of you

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

i suppose you could use custom drivers or something, but stock these can only be used to mirror other buttons

what kind of lovely controllers are you people using that dont have shoulder buttons and trigger buttons on both sides?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ugh, absolute nubs the lot of you

lol look at this scrub with his space orb, step up to the cyberman 2

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

rotor posted:

lol look at this scrub with his space orb, step up to the cyberman 2

hosed up titties

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I keep getting tempted to get entirely too into F1 simulators because goddamn does that look fun

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

if I ever buy a house I'm building a full on space sim

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Preordered FF XVI after playing the demo.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

haveblue posted:

ok, where do you put fire guns or whatever else you're supposed to be doing while 6DOF maneuvering

the face buttons and d-pad
look it's not my fault that controllers are inferior to the mouse and keyboard

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

L1: Roll Left
R1 Roll right
L2: Height down
R2: Height Up
magic nonexistent buttons: pew pew

I ended up figuring out which way was "up" on most of the descent levels and would usually level myself to that

didnt see this until now but:

assign a button to strafe lock, problem solved. or use the other analog stick to strafe.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i checked the bta3062 wiki and the kit fox with AIV is not in the game as a standard variant but the thing is an omnimech so you could slap one on there if you wanted to, i guess

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
ever since i started using steam's built-in gyros-to-{mouse,joystick} input crap i have been absolutely shocked at how much more playable and enjoyable traditionally keyboard/mouse games can be with a gamepad. honestly feels like one of the best and unmarketed things out there in steam

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

psiox posted:

ever since i started using steam's built-in gyros-to-{mouse,joystick} input crap i have been absolutely shocked at how much more playable and enjoyable traditionally keyboard/mouse games can be with a gamepad. honestly feels like one of the best and unmarketed things out there in steam

absolutely agree

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i now need to wire this crap up for descent 2

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

do you still need to use that big screen mode in steam to take advantage of those controller settings? last time i tried it was the only option

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if y'all haven't played overload its basically just more descent levels. Like its the exact same game, just updated to run in 1080p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3gwq5jbKLA

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

most games are like "no one wants the same game twice, lets add some things and tweak some gameplay and add some new features" but these guys were like "hmm actually lots of people want the same exact game so lets just make that" and they were right imo

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
descent 2 had such a killer soundtrack. like maybe the best of the 90s. and the plot was cool!

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

most games are like "no one wants the same game twice, lets add some things and tweak some gameplay and add some new features" but these guys were like "hmm actually lots of people want the same exact game so lets just make that" and they were right imo

amen

someone make tribes 2 with the serial numbers filed off

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

psiox posted:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

psiox posted:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Captain Foo posted:

i checked the bta3062 wiki and the kit fox with AIV is not in the game as a standard variant but the thing is an omnimech so you could slap one on there if you wanted to, i guess

it's the dumbest idea ever but it seems like 1/4 times it could work really, really well and the other 3 would just be a shitshow

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

psiox posted:

ive got fairly good at spltoon 3 recently and now games that dont have gyro aim feel so weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Roosevelt posted:

it's the dumbest idea ever but it seems like 1/4 times it could work really, really well and the other 3 would just be a shitshow

AIV has splash damage in BTA you usually get some value out of it but i usually put my artillery in the vehicle slots