Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I was in a small town in Ontario last year for July 1st and after they ran out of cops and firefighters most of the parade was farmers on tractors in gently caress Trudeau shirts lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Rural MB would never vote for someone from Quebec let's be real.

Solomon Wiebe? Well that's a good ol' country boy name if I've ever heard one!

---

Very glad the PPC lost last night. Very pleased as they probably spent a bunch of money on advertising. I'd get mailers multiple times a week and signs were everywhere.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

DaysBefore posted:

He's in rural Manitoba (Hell) so he means farmers etc. But farming as a way of life has been drastically changed over the decades with the rise of massive factory farms and megacorps buying out so many small family farms to grow cattle feed so there's nothing to preserve. It'd be like a Maritime MP campaigning on preserving the way of life of cod fishermen lol

I am from rural Ontario with a lot of family working in agriculture and disagree with this strongly. There is plenty worth preserving there. My uncle, my brother and his in laws and all of my mother’s neighbours would be very surprised to find out that they are megacorps and not family farms. (They are generally incorporated for tax reasons so I suppose you are technically correct, the best kind of correct).

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

infernal machines posted:

The first time I saw a guy in a turban driving a tractor, just north of Brampton, it surprised me. IDK why, I'd just never seen a Sikh farmer here.

I’m led to believe farmers always work while Sikh

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Randalor posted:

After all, those cows won't gently caress themselves!

What the gently caress does "rural way of life" even mean? How small does a town have to be before it's considered "rural"? As far as I can tell, "rural" just means being an incel shut-in with no soci Oh I get who he's targeting now.

He means white way of life

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fine, we can preserve Letterkenny as a kind of open-air museum.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Good heavens, is it the braindead takes on agriculture phase of the thread again already?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Around Victoria I notice a ton of farms are owned and run by chinese or indian families. Plenty of white folk too, but a disproportionate amount of the actual productive successful farms that aren't just ALR scams are owned and operated by 1st and 2nd gen immigrants.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Around Victoria I notice a ton of farms are owned and run by chinese or indian families. Plenty of white folk too, but a disproportionate amount of the actual productive successful farms that aren't just ALR scams are owned and operated by 1st and 2nd gen immigrants.

Farming has been a major source of immigration in Canada for a ton of it’s history, and North America too.

The unfortunate history of Japanese farmers on the west coast is one example, Ukrainians and the Irish also came over frequently to settle and farm among many others.

There are a lot of ignorant racist dipshits in farming but there are also a lot of ignorant racist dipshits that have never touched a farm in their drunken, likely inbred lives

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

In Southern Ontario a lot of the farms are owned by families that came to Canada from Europe in the aftermath of World War II, a lot of them from the Netherlands.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The problem isn't farmers and ranchers, it's the people who imagine they're farmers and ranchers because they live in a small town and sell Suck and gently caress Services to the hapless idiots who drive through on their way to something else.

The farmer way of life is actually one that involves a great deal of technology, education and expertise. The "rural" way of life is sitting around the greasy spoon in town moaning that the IMMIGRANTS ARE TAKING ARE JOBS! You're not a farmer because you bought part of a subdivided quarter section of land outside Cochrane and you thought "planting seed" involved jacking off into a hole in the ground, you thick gently caress.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
If small family farms aren't efficient or worthwhile anymore, then we should have a jobs training program to get them doing something more useful. The dairy industry is absolutely hosed and should just be dismantled back to square 1.

Really, how many subsidies and strong arming the cheese market do these people need?

Get rid of the cops too while you're at it. Parades can just be firemen and they're actually heroes so that's cool.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Sorry, we can retrain farmers, but only to be police.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

Charles Bukowski posted:

If small family farms aren't efficient or worthwhile anymore, then we should have a jobs training program to get them doing something more useful. The dairy industry is absolutely hosed and should just be dismantled back to square 1.

Really, how many subsidies and strong arming the cheese market do these people need?

Get rid of the cops too while you're at it. Parades can just be firemen and they're actually heroes so that's cool.

What exactly should they be doing that is more useful than producing food? Do want to teach them to code so they can make useless apps?

Without trade protection our dairy industry will get swamped by cheaper American imports, I don’t want to be dependent on food imports from that corrupt greedy nation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If farming isn’t a useful asset to society we are completely and utterly hosed. This is CanPol did none of you take courses in sociology or economics at some point?

Food production is the foundation on which every job in the world is built, it’s loving mystifying how ignorant this thread is on the subject and the idea of comparing them to the Pigs is pathetic and laughable

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fornax Disaster posted:

What exactly should they be doing that is more useful than producing food? Do want to teach them to code so they can make useless apps?

Without trade protection our dairy industry will get swamped by cheaper American imports, I don’t want to be dependent on food imports from that corrupt greedy nation.

gently caress em, gently caress em in the mouth. I want cheaper cheese and less bellyaching about how hard it is to be a small business man. Or, I'd like for us to stop dairy farming and grow more soy? Maybe those farmers can go work at an industrial farm, im sure their experience would be quite useful for them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

I want cheaper cheese

Good lord what a bougie baby you are

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Precision fermentation will collapse the dairy industry in the next decade.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The broader objective of preserving food sovereignty is one worth keeping imo, instead of inviting the fist of the free market to our butts in a race to the bottom (heh).

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

PT6A posted:

The problem isn't farmers and ranchers, it's the people who imagine they're farmers and ranchers because they live in a small town and sell Suck and gently caress Services to the hapless idiots who drive through on their way to something else.

The farmer way of life is actually one that involves a great deal of technology, education and expertise. The "rural" way of life is sitting around the greasy spoon in town moaning that the IMMIGRANTS ARE TAKING ARE JOBS! You're not a farmer because you bought part of a subdivided quarter section of land outside Cochrane and you thought "planting seed" involved jacking off into a hole in the ground, you thick gently caress.

It's this, yeah.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Guest2553 posted:

The broader objective of preserving food sovereignty is one worth keeping imo, instead of inviting the fist of the free market to our butts in a race to the bottom (heh).

And someone will surely shitpost about Canadian crops and what we produce but like, do you really want to make that worse??

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Charles Bukowski posted:

gently caress em, gently caress em in the mouth. I want cheaper cheese and less bellyaching about how hard it is to be a small business man. Or, I'd like for us to stop dairy farming and grow more soy? Maybe those farmers can go work at an industrial farm, im sure their experience would be quite useful for them.

Thing is, farming isn't simple. The main issue (and cause for the griping) is that the greatest portion of our arable land in the country (the prairies) are rainfed and basically completely reliant on weather (rain) to produce anything.

Sure, we've made a great deal of progress with new technologies like zero-till production, crop breeding, livestock genetics and feeding practices, but it still all boils down to water availability (which is generally lacking in AB and SK anyway).

Couple that with farming being incredibly capital intensive and risk based because you have to buy everything up front on credit, you get some pretty intense opinions out there when the weather isn't cooperating.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Trudeau in a cellar channelling dark magicks that keep the rains at bay, just to gently caress with poor, honest prairiegoers

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vasler posted:

Thing is, farming isn't simple. The main issue (and cause for the griping) is that the greatest portion of our arable land in the country (the prairies) are rainfed and basically completely reliant on weather (rain) to produce anything.

Sure, we've made a great deal of progress with new technologies like zero-till production, crop breeding, livestock genetics and feeding practices, but it still all boils down to water availability (which is generally lacking in AB and SK anyway).

Couple that with farming being incredibly capital intensive and risk based because you have to buy everything up front on credit, you get some pretty intense opinions out there when the weather isn't cooperating.

It does seem quite difficult to me. I just wanted to bother Fornax because I don't think he's very nice.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

You do realize that different land is useful for different agricultural purposes right? This isn't a video game where you can just plop down a crop field and then plop down a cow field next to it. Crops and livestock have different need and are most efficient in different places. poo poo isn't just one to one.

Also the cheaper cheese is because its absolute poo poo because there's less regulations there. I'll take slightly more expensive cheese that's less terrible.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
How much do we really know about foodstuffs farming and how the dairy cartel actually functions? I'm just some guy.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Why do we have to subsidize it by making it more expensive for us to buy. if it's a nationally important industry worth keeping around, The government should subsidize it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Cat Wings posted:

You do realize that different land is useful for different agricultural purposes right? This isn't a video game where you can just plop down a crop field and then plop down a cow field next to it.

ah yeah that must be why they planted all those farms out where it doesn’t rain

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Remember when the Government of Canada duped a bunch of settlers into trying to farm barely arable land in an effort to expand the nation west?

What a country!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Chillyrabbit posted:

Why do we have to subsidize it by making it more expensive for us to buy. if it's a nationally important industry worth keeping around, The government should subsidize it.

Agreed. And I don't think all tariffs or subsidies are equal. Making sure the US can't flood our market with cheap poo poo is good; making DOP Parmigiano-Reggiano cost 15 dollars for a wee sliver isn't really helping anyone, because it would still be price-uncompetitive with Canadian "parmesan" in the absence of subsidy -- it's solely a money grab at that point.

Bleck posted:

It's this, yeah.

I don't always agree with Bleck, but when I do, it's concerning the poo poo state of smalltown Canada.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

Well to be fair, my mother’s neighbours are growing soybean cash crops and dairy farming on the same farm.

Southern Ontario has a much more diverse set of climate and soil conditions than the prairies, that is why it so stupid to bury it in suburban sprawl. Different counties next to each other will have very different types of farms. For example, Norfolk County has sandy soil and grows tobacco, fruit and vegetables. Right next door Haldimand County has heavy clay soil and produces dairy, wheat, soybeans and corn. Consequently Norfolk employs a lot of migrant farm workers for their labour intensive farming, while farming in Haldimand is very heavily mechanized and does not.

As an example of what’s been lost, what is now Burlington used to be a major fruit producing area with big canneries producing canned fruit for export. Now it’s endless houses and big box stores.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't want cheap quality products in, I want to not pay out the rear end in a top hat for European cheese that actually tastes like something. If we let dogshit in, then it's a race to the bottom of everything, as if it isn't already one in far too many things.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

Yeah I don't want cheap quality products in, I want to not pay out the rear end in a top hat for European cheese that actually tastes like something. If we let dogshit in, then it's a race to the bottom of everything, as if it isn't already one in far too many things.

I agree, but I'll play devil's advocate for a second. Let's say European good cheese is a pipe dream because you're pissing away all your money on inflated rent and you make no money because wages are poo poo or god forbid you're on disability or something. "There are tariffs, but only on the cheap cheese that you could otherwise afford; rich people can get their fancy cheese unaffected" is going to feel like a legitimate poke in the eye.

Subsidy is ultimately a better way forward, but then you'll have a bunch of whiny vegans complaining that their tax money supports animal slavery or some stupid poo poo, and some lolbertarians screaming that taxation is theft, and in the end you just have to pick a solution that's in the national interest and has the fewest people yelling at you -- which is probably the one we have right now, because at the end of the day we're complaining about the price of a luxury product and it's not going to generate much sympathy. I also think cigarettes shouldn't cost $20 a pack because it's taking advantage of addicts, but good luck with convincing a government to part with one of its politically-acceptable sources of revenue.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

PT6A posted:

I agree, but I'll play devil's advocate for a second. Let's say European good cheese is a pipe dream because you're pissing away all your money on inflated rent and you make no money because wages are poo poo or god forbid you're on disability or something. "There are tariffs, but only on the cheap cheese that you could otherwise afford; rich people can get their fancy cheese unaffected" is going to feel like a legitimate poke in the eye.

Subsidy is ultimately a better way forward, but then you'll have a bunch of whiny vegans complaining that their tax money supports animal slavery or some stupid poo poo, and some lolbertarians screaming that taxation is theft, and in the end you just have to pick a solution that's in the national interest and has the fewest people yelling at you -- which is probably the one we have right now, because at the end of the day we're complaining about the price of a luxury product and it's not going to generate much sympathy. I also think cigarettes shouldn't cost $20 a pack because it's taking advantage of addicts, but good luck with convincing a government to part with one of its politically-acceptable sources of revenue.
The addicts cost more to the health care system and although I'm with you on subsidies, we should spend them smartly, not waste money propping up inefficient and ethically questionable industries like dairy.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sure it was nice to be able to pick your own strawberries in Scarborough back in the day, but now that land is covered in even more productive grass lawns (+2 Esprit De Corps, +1 Authority, -1 Electrochemistry) and their accompanying subdivided homes (+2 Inland Empire).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DrBox posted:

The addicts cost more to the health care system

Many people cost more than average to the healthcare system or government in general through their choices. Some examples include: motorcycle riders, hikers who need backcountry rescue, people who eat an unhealthy diet, and so on. If we further accept that many people were enticed to smoke via means that are no longer acceptable, including advertising, it seems unacceptable to then charge these addicts more money, given that substance use disorder is a medical condition rather than a moral failing. Beyond that, we accept as a society that even if a person is injured as a direct result of committing a criminal offense, they are still not to be charged for their healthcare -- take, for example, someone who injures themselves while driving drunk. They will face other consequences, but they are not asked to cover the costs of their healthcare.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Pt6a, no, I believe animals are absolutely our slaves when it comes to food production. We breed them, sell them, kill them when we want to, and sell their parts. We keep em preggo to keep pumping out milk and more flesh into the grinder.

But have you had brie?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Oh good, it's time for this derail again. I said it before, militant vegans feed solely on negative attention.

How much should I tip the server at the Keg while going through the self-checkout for a circumcision, and precisely how should I cook the steak?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

No politician is going to seriously argue for cutting the vice taxes on booze, weed, darts (though not gambling weirdly) etc lol. You can be sure if they ever legalise prostitution there will be a hefty tax.

Those taxes also very much disproportionately lean on the poor, and even more so the marginalised poor, so it's a win-win for everybody at the top. Poor people pay more for the sin of needing a substance to get through their lovely lives, and the government gets a slush fund it can use to build endless highways or "buy" F35s or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Apparently old stock conservatives aren't a fan of PP.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/brian-mulroney-praises-trudeaus-leadership-omits-any-mention-of-tory-leader

quote:

Brian Mulroney praises Trudeau's leadership, omits any mention of Tory leader

ANTIGONISH, N.S. — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is basking in the praise of Brian Mulroney today after the former prime minister said “trash” talk against the Liberal leader will be forgotten in light of historic achievements.

The former Progressive Conservative prime minister made the comments on Monday night to delegates attending the Atlantic Economic Forum, at St. Francis Xavier University, in Antigonish, N.S.

Mulroney, who advised Trudeau’s cabinet during the trade talks, said Trudeau showed vision and a steady hand during negotiations and helped preserve the country’s economy.

The former prime minister’s speech didn’t mention Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre, and instead referred to the achievements of the federal Liberals.