Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

how is that "better". 9/5 is 1.8. you know how you also get 1.8? 90% of double

goons gatekeeping number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Tempora Mutantur posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/titanic-search-wreck-missing-oxygen-b2360999.html

yeah ok

apparently they lost contact less than 2 hours into the trip, but also didn't notify the ship that that happened for like 7 hours, not sure how that works but I'm sure impending litigation against soon-to-be-defunct Oceangate will get to the bottom of that

The Sub Ceo, complained that having communication with top side interrupted his enjoyment of piloting the sub. So he opted with a datalink that cut out when they reach a certain depth.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

axelord posted:

The Sub Ceo, complained that having communication with top side interrupted his enjoyment of piloting the sub. So he opted with a datalink that cut out when they reach a certain depth.

drat this dude must have some kind of suicide fetish

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

axelord posted:

lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
couldn’t he have uh, muted the audio????

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Sub went down so that Number could go up

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

Sub went down so that Number could go up

Sub number hit 4,000 meters.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tempora Mutantur posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/titanic-search-wreck-missing-oxygen-b2360999.html

yeah ok

apparently they lost contact less than 2 hours into the trip, but also didn't notify the ship that that happened for like 7 hours, not sure how that works but I'm sure impending litigation against soon-to-be-defunct Oceangate will get to the bottom of that

"Despite US, Canadian and French authorities having expanded what is the deepest undersea rescue operation in history to cover some 10,000 square miles of ocean, an adviser to the submarine firm warned that the extraordinary mission had been hampered by red tape, bureaucracy, and a lack of urgency on the part of US officials."

Can't believe the entire world isn't pouring resources into this deep sea body recovery operation.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
not gonna lie, kinda owns that our government doesn't give a poo poo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol what is the government going to do other than send planes to look to see if its on the surface. no one but weridos like jimmy cameras and oil and gas companies have the equipment to dive that deep

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
America letting billionaires die is the best thing they’ve done in a long time.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
that article says the billionaire also went to space with Jeff Bezos's rocket company so this dude just wants to commit the world's most elaborate suicide

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Koirhor posted:

buried down there with Osama wow

didnt happen

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

Probably a minor point of safety but should that sub been colored something other than white? Is there some regulation on this that was ignored or didn't apply? On the remote possibility that the sub surfaced and is bobbing around, I would imagine that white sub would blend in with the white caps of the sea.

look they got a business to run. color paint ain’t cheap.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol what is the government going to do other than send planes to look to see if its on the surface. no one but weridos like jimmy cameras and oil and gas companies have the equipment to dive that deep

Send in a single skin diver with a flashlight & snorkel.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Vox Nihili posted:

"Despite US, Canadian and French authorities having expanded what is the deepest undersea rescue operation in history to cover some 10,000 square miles of ocean, an adviser to the submarine firm warned that the extraordinary mission had been hampered by red tape, bureaucracy, and a lack of urgency on the part of US officials."

Can't believe the entire world isn't pouring resources into this deep sea body recovery operation.

:qq:

The government we hate and gets in our way isn't blanketing the whole ocean with sonobuoys and using submarines they literally don't have to go and rescue our toy submarine

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

who lives in a pineapple under the sea

5 rich dipshits

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

skooma512 posted:

:qq:

The government we hate and gets in our way isn't blanketing the whole ocean with sonobuoys and using submarines they literally don't have to go and rescue our toy submarine

save me statists, save me!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah the US Navy's rescue submersibles only go down to 2,000 feet, and the ocean floor is 13,000 deep in the vicinity of the Titanic wreck

state of the art ballistic missile submarines, for example, do not operate at anything even remotely approaching that, and if they sink to that depth they implode catastrophically and everyone dies anyway

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Our black unlit submarine with no radio that looks like every rock on the seafloor that could have drifted anywhere in the Atlantic.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

axelord posted:

"my immersion" lmao

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Legitimately hilarious that anyone thinks anything can be done if the sub isn't just literally bobbing on the surface somewhere. And even then they're kind of hosed since these morons bolted themselves inside.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

Legitimately hilarious that anyone thinks anything can be done if the sub isn't just literally bobbing on the surface somewhere. And even then they're kind of hosed since these morons bolted themselves inside.

if they're bobbing on the surface they've no doubt been poached by the sun at this point

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Morbus posted:

"my immersion" lmao

there’s so much poo poo I keep finding out about this that, alone, should’ve been a red flag for anyone to not get anywhere within five feet of this motherfucker and anything more advanced than a tandem bike :stonk:

I guess it’s just my lack of sigma grind mindset that doesn’t make me want to roll the dice on going to the deepest reaches of the ocean in a poo poo-crusted death tube

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DancingShade posted:

Our black unlit submarine with no radio that looks like every rock on the seafloor that could have drifted anywhere in the Atlantic.

With an experimental hull nobody else on Earth thought was a good idea to use it in a proper vessel. Gee why isn't the entire western hemisphere moving to find it? Oh and they opted out of putting a beacon on it lol.

Paradoxish posted:

If it is bobbing around in the surf they'll suffocate in a hot box with their own puke sloshing around everywhere, safety just on the other side of the hull, which despite being not being strong enough to keep the ocean out, is strong enough to keep you inside.

Like ever see a modern lifeboat? Sea sick city. It's meant to keep you out of the water and visible, and that's pretty much it. In rough seas it's a pukebox.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

if they're bobbing on the surface they've no doubt been poached by the sun at this point

If they're somehow on the ocean floor, they've probably froze to death since it's just above freezing down there. What did someone say about temperature changes and carbon fiber again?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Buffer posted:

sorry I don't mean to especially privilege it, just kinda point to how its different because of how easy it is to move around. Nuclear requires advanced facilities, and that ties the energy to a location, but you can ship a generator on a fossil fueled truck and then provide energy.

But energy as you point out is not purely fungible with labor. Only whatever we can use machines for. One of the really dark sides of computer touching is how often the work is basically supplanting labor with energy in the form of computer power - more things only humans can do become things machines can do and thus a thing that can be done with energy as a commodity.

this all could be a good thing in a different society - but alas.

no need to say sorry. I'm going to take it a step further, not to correct you or anything just cause I thought of it.

in capitalism firms are expected to make profit, in the long run anyway, all of them. But you can imagine if computers replace people, the operating cost gets displaced from labor to other businesses - computer manufacturers, software developers, energy suppliers get paid instead of laborers. But there is no way all businesses profit by buying from other businesses for less than the value of the goods. Or in other words, businesses cannot profit moving goods between them - that part is zero sum.

So profit has to come from some process that happens after the computer and energy and software are all bought. Imagine replacing human artists with computers and AI that churn out images. The value of the images goes low, but so does the cost, in fact the value goes down to just that of the computer + software + energy once the technology is something anyone can buy, because anyone looking for images will just go 'why pay this guy when I can just get a computer that does it for me'.

So only in the window where only certain firms use AI, or where some AI process that gets unique desirable results is held under patent, can firms charge more than cost, and make it more profitable to use AI. They are using AI in a labor world, not AI vs AI

that's why profit rate falls as capital replaces labor, but in the short run replacing labor with capital (AI in this case) counteracts the long term trend

profit can only be extracted by the separation of labor from capital (means of production), and replacing that labor with capital has the long term effect of there being less profit

The falling profit rate motivates capitalism to capture and create new markets and to consolidate industries into monopolies, among other methods of counteracting falling profit

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 02:18 on Jun 21, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Spending your last hours on the surface, bolted into your sweltering airtight coffin that spins continuously in the ocean as every surface gets covered in vomit.

Washing up on Africa 3 years from now.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

DancingShade posted:

Spending your last hours on the surface, bolted into your sweltering airtight coffin that spins continuously in the ocean as every surface gets covered in vomit.

Wow, I've never smelled a mental image invoked by text until now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vox Nihili posted:

yeah the US Navy's rescue submersibles only go down to 2,000 feet, and the ocean floor is 13,000 deep in the vicinity of the Titanic wreck

state of the art ballistic missile submarines, for example, do not operate at anything even remotely approaching that, and if they sink to that depth they implode catastrophically and everyone dies anyway

theres alvin

but its support ship (and presumably alvin) is off the coast of california lol

the russians also have some that could probably reach it but uhhhh lmao @ getting access to those currently

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DancingShade posted:

it's terribly macabre but at the same time, how can you not be fascinated
it's a scenario dreamed up in a Victorian science fiction story made real through the hubris of the ruling class

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure prices will come down any day now

https://twitter.com/IrvingSwisher/status/1671147085112983552

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Lol Stuck inside Boat

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Did you know that when a submersible implodes at that depth that the air pressure in front of the wave is so high that the air actually combusts? In the split second before you are crushed by the pressure of the wave you are hit by a wall of fire.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lovely five over one built near me in 2019. Any minute now

Apr 7, 2003

Surely new construction will make prices lower any moment now

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lmao $2000 for a 1br in pittsburgh. who the hell is paying those prices?????

i live in the loving bay area, most expensive metro area in america, (berkeley) and only pay $1980 for 1 br.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Surely new construction will make prices lower any moment now

Who in their right mind would pay that much to live in Pittsburgh?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1671269223836909569

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

lmao $2000 for a 1br in pittsburgh. who the hell is paying those prices?????

i live in the loving bay area, most expensive metro area in america, (berkeley) and only pay $1980 for 1 br.

afaict they're rented up and there's a waiting list, unless that's bullshit and they're pretending

being five over ones, the retail space on the ground floor is empty and always will be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

:drat: