Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Tunicate posted:

They just found a sealed bottle of Roman purfume in an urn

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ancient-roman-perfume-smell-patchouli

Neat they can ID patchouli

i mean who couldn't. gotta imagine millenia-old patchouli gets funky, think of how bad grandma's house already is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Archaeologist: Huh, wonder why this jar is engraved with picture of a securis...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mandoric posted:

Even Walpole still expected at times to be dismissed for reasons other than losing the confidence of the Commons, no?

I was thinking more of the Long Parliament, who sort of resisted dismissal at pike and musket point. :) (not otherwise a great example in some ways I guess, that's the 'long' bit, it's not like they stood for re-election)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

i mean who couldn't. gotta imagine millenia-old patchouli gets funky, think of how bad grandma's house already is

"Is my college roommate buried here"

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Patchouli smells perfectly fine, as long as you're not trying to use it as a substitute for bathing and deodorant.

I think it's very cool that the quartz vial got the same kind of crazing and iridescence that you usually see in Roman glass.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Nomads and settleds unite to say “gently caress you, it smelled good at the time”

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mad Hamish posted:

I think it's very cool that the quartz vial got the same kind of crazing and iridescence that you usually see in Roman glass.
I think that is the dessicated perfume. Unlike glass quartz does not mind being buried one bit.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://www.newsweek.com/ancient-sword-germany-octagonal-rare-1807156

extremely cool sword found

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Scarodactyl posted:

I think that is the dessicated perfume. Unlike glass quartz does not mind being buried one bit.

Well I didn't even think of that! I just thought it was unusual for quartz to do so.

I can't remember what museum I was at where they had a lot of Roman glass, but most of it had the iridescence going on. Strange how deterioration can be so pretty.

....I wonder what those 'actually, glass is a very slow liquid' people would say about the continued stable shapes of ancient glass.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Would not recommend cleaning out a several hundred year old pack rat midden.

So many 5 gallon buckets of literal rat poo poo.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

Well I didn't even think of that! I just thought it was unusual for quartz to do so.

I can't remember what museum I was at where they had a lot of Roman glass, but most of it had the iridescence going on. Strange how deterioration can be so pretty.

....I wonder what those 'actually, glass is a very slow liquid' people would say about the continued stable shapes of ancient glass.

The latest measurements of the flow rate of glass at room temperature indicate it flows at a rate of about 1 nm per billion years. It's still a slow-flowing liquid, just very, very slow.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Deteriorata posted:

The latest measurements of the flow rate of glass at room temperature indicate it flows at a rate of about 1 nm per billion years. It's still a slow-flowing liquid, just very, very slow.

Can't wait for that first drop of glass to fall in a few billion years

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
At the level of flowing nanometers over the lifespan of the universe, wouldn't rocks and poo poo be a slow flowing liquid too

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

At the level of flowing nanometers over the lifespan of the universe, wouldn't rocks and poo poo be a slow flowing liquid too

I think the difference is (most?) rocks and minerals have a crystalline structure at regular temperatures that preclude even that infinitesimal movement.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Telsa Cola posted:

At that point do the rats not get some kind of ancestral claim to the land?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Calling glass a fluid is silly. It's an amorphous solid which is a real and separate class of things. It is not a fluid because it does not flow on any meaningful timeframe, and anyway crystallibe solids flow too when pushed hard enough--the earth's mantle is almost entirely made of solid minerals, not magma like the charts like to imply, but does flow around.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Polystyrene is a good example of another amorphous solid.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Be careful about Hanta virus. I had some family catch that cleaning out a rat infested property.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Be careful about Hanta virus. I had some family catch that cleaning out a rat infested property.

It's a major concern, we had a granary structure that had a packrat midden that was about 4 feet in diameter and 3 feet deep and I volunteered to clean it out so we could do some restoration work. I masked up but to be honest that dust gets everywhere so yeah.

Did find an absolutely motherload of 800-900 year old corn cobs though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Corn cobs are handy things. I used to toss them to the dogs as chew toys.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Corn cobs are handy things. I used to toss them to the dogs as chew toys.

you can wipe your rear end on them too

the corn cobs that is

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ChubbyChecker posted:

you can wipe your rear end on them too

the corn cobs that is

Dogs too if you train em right

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

That's awesome! But I made a rookie mistake and read the comments. :(

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

10 Beers posted:

Lol I had to check

Ť It’s a hoax ť and Ť Ukraine war non-sequitur ť

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol I had to check

Ť It’s a hoax ť and Ť Ukraine war non-sequitur ť

don't forget the hitler one, although that's the free square for online comments about German stuff.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

10 Beers posted:

The best brains

william barker
2 days ago

The fact that most archaeological sites have already been plundered , and the unusual exceptional state of the sword, should raise suspicion, that it is not genuine. I think that some radiological dating of the sword,to confirm authenticity , ought to be in order.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Sorry, there's no archaeology left.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Proto Indo European had always been a topic I had trouble getting my head around, so I've been slowly working my way through David Anthony's The Horse, the Wheel, and Language. Linguistics was kind of interesting but hard reading for me, but now I'm on the section about archaeology it's been going faster, and this passage jumped out:

quote:

Domesticated animals can only be raised by people who are committed morally and ethically to watching their families go hungry rather than letting them eat the breeding stock. Seed grain and breeding stock must be saved, not eaten, or there will be no crop and no calves the next year. Foragers generally value immediate sharing and generosity over miserly saving for the future, so the shift to keeping breeding stock was a moral as well as an economic one. It probably offended the old morals. It is not surprising that it was resisted, or that when it did begin it was surrounded by new rituals and a new kind of leadership, or that the new leaders threw big feasts and shared food when the deferred inverstment paid off.

Makes total sense I suppose, but I had absolutely never thought about it before. Anyone know other books that go into these kinds of relationships of groups with different subsistence patterns towards culture/land use etc? I'm guessing I might have to delve into anthropology a bit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This seems to make a big assumption that foragers have no concept of preserving food for future consumption

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Koramei posted:

Proto Indo European had always been a topic I had trouble getting my head around, so I've been slowly working my way through David Anthony's The Horse, the Wheel, and Language. Linguistics was kind of interesting but hard reading for me, but now I'm on the section about archaeology it's been going faster, and this passage jumped out:

Makes total sense I suppose, but I had absolutely never thought about it before. Anyone know other books that go into these kinds of relationships of groups with different subsistence patterns towards culture/land use etc? I'm guessing I might have to delve into anthropology a bit.

Göbekli Tepe directly contradicts that claim. It was a huge storehouse and ritual gathering site built by hunter/gatherers. There are numerous sites like it in Turkey and elsewhere.

Preservation for future use was absolutely a part of pre-agricultural society. They were not stupid or naive.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I will say as of where I am now in the book his theory for Proto Indo European origins does seem to rest on a lot of assumptions, some of which are themselves based on other assumptions. He argues a lot of it pretty convincingly but I actually feel more open to the possibility some of the other theories for origins (e.g. Anatolia -- he's arguing for the Ponto-Caspian Steppe) might turn out to have merit some years from now, than I did before I started reading.

I'd be curious to read about food preservation among foragers though; I'm sure there were exceptions, but it does seem to make sense it wouldn't be common (although I can't speak to the cultural implications of that). How old are things like pickling, salted meats? You get ceramic pottery in paleolithic East Asia so obviously there were exceptions (and we all know about foragers in some regions that were permanently settled), but food preservation seems a lot less feasible for (most) foragers that a. can't carry much with them and b. get most of their calories from non-cereals that are much harder to preserve.

e: there's nothing stupid or naive about not having a technology, or having a cultural inclination that fits your subsistence strategy, even if we can now look back and say they're probably better off doing things differently. I think the passage is striking because it frames how it actually makes total sense that rearing animals might not be intuitive.

Also think it's worth stressing he's not just saying storehouse in general, but the concept of not eating your stores even when you're starving.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 21, 2023

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Göbekli Tepe directly contradicts that claim. It was a huge storehouse and ritual gathering site built by hunter/gatherers. There are numerous sites like it in Turkey and elsewhere.

Preservation for future use was absolutely a part of pre-agricultural society. They were not stupid or naive.

There is a distinction between saving surplus for the future and then eating it when times are scarse until it runs out and saving surplus for the future and going hungry while there is still food that could be eaten.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wins32767 posted:

There is a distinction between saving surplus for the future and then eating it when times are scarse until it runs out and saving surplus for the future and going hungry while there is still food that could be eaten.

IMO it's a distinction without a difference. If you're reduced to eating your seed corn, you're in trouble no matter what. It buys you a little time, but only delays the inevitable. If you planted it, it would be months before you could reap a harvest anyway.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Koramei posted:

I'd be curious to read about food preservation among foragers though; I'm sure there were exceptions, but it does seem to make sense it wouldn't be common (although I can't speak to the cultural implications of that). How old are things like pickling, salted meats? You get ceramic pottery in paleolithic East Asia so obviously there were exceptions (and we all know about foragers in some regions that were permanently settled), but food preservation seems a lot less feasible for (most) foragers that a. can't carry much with them and b. get most of their calories from non-cereals that are much harder to preserve.

e: there's nothing stupid or naive about not having a technology, or having a cultural inclination that fits your subsistence strategy, even if we can now look back and say they're probably better off doing things differently. I think the passage is striking because it frames how it actually makes total sense that rearing animals might not be intuitive.

Also think it's worth stressing he's not just saying storehouse in general, but the concept of not eating your stores even when you're starving.

Drying and smoking food is pretty simple, and not super time or effort intesive, and said dried food can then be cached. Off the top of my head, I know this done in some PNW groups with salmon, and the climate up there is not ideal for said methods, but it worked. Things get easier in places like the Southwest where the climate would help with preservation. Most foraged foods can dry pretty well if you know what you are doing.

Im aware of a possible salt pouch made from an entire Prarie dog, but don't know offhand what that dates too.

Many H/G groups rotated through seasonal camps, so its not like they couldn't keep materials cached in/nearby. Groundstone tools often get left behind at camps because gently caress carrying that around if you can just come back for it next year.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 21, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wins32767 posted:

his claim is that they found saving for the future to be immoral

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

IMO, the big change in viewpoint in going to agriculture was not the attitude toward food or its preservation, it was the attitude toward the land. Making a plot of land arable is an enormous amount of effort - clearing trees and digging up roots, clearing rocks, digging irrigation channels, etc. It's not just land any more, it's your land that has been transformed through your own efforts. It becomes something sacred in its own right, as it is what is providing for you and your family. It becomes something to fight and die for.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Hell, bison jumps are a pretty big example of H/G groups killing an absolute shitton of animals and processing and preserving the meat for long term use.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

IMO, the big change in viewpoint in going to agriculture was not the attitude toward food or its preservation, it was the attitude toward the land. Making a plot of land arable is an enormous amount of effort - clearing trees and digging up roots, clearing rocks, digging irrigation channels, etc. It's not just land any more, it's your land that has been transformed through your own efforts. It becomes something sacred in its own right, as it is what is providing for you and your family. It becomes something to fight and die for.

non-sedentary-farmers did plenty of intentional changes to the land. If you want to read a book about North American in particular, I recommend Changes in the Land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

IMO it's a distinction without a difference. If you're reduced to eating your seed corn, you're in trouble no matter what. It buys you a little time, but only delays the inevitable. If you planted it, it would be months before you could reap a harvest anyway.

It may be a distinction without a difference for you, but the argument is that it was distinctly not a distinction without a difference to early farmers versus gatherers. It's a fundamentally unknowable question, but as the beneficiary of the perspective of 10 millenia of agricultural practices, I'm not sure that frame is applicable.