Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Every time I’m about to start Cyberpunk there’s another game changing update on the horizon.

For actual content, the character barks in Darkest Dungeon 2 add quite a lot to the game. I also love the idea of forcing two characters to drink so much whiskey they become best friends.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Jun 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I tried out a demo of a game called Laika: Aged Through Blood, a metroidvania that combines Trials style motorcycle gameplay with horrifying furry violence.

Early in the game you get a cassette player that lets you play whichever music you've unlocked whenever you're on your bike, which is always a feature I appreciate.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rockman Reserve posted:

god i would kill for SF6

i finally started cyberpunk 2077 'cuz it's dirt cheap. i knew nothing really about it other than CDPR totally botched the launch and keanu was in it, and a vague understanding of the setting from playing shitloads of netrunner and being a shadowrun dork

anyways it's hard to describe but it's totally blown me away. i vibe with the game and world so hard, i'm having a total blast, and haven't had this much fun and wonderment - as insanely dumb as that probably sounds - since the first time i fired up Deus Ex or Morrowind. i thought it would bug me or make the world feel empty that there's nowhere near as many procedurally-generated trash gubbins and empty buildings as i'm used to from an open world kinda game, but it actually gives the world a more realistic vibe, helps me to keep from just wandering around forever, and makes actually finding something cool tucked away somewhere that much more memorable.

i guess if i had to point to a *specific* thing i'd just say the entirety of The Heist mission that closes chapter 1 - it was cool and cinematic and a total clusterfuck in a way that captured the feel of a tabletop game better than anything else i've played ("hey jackie i'm gonna go check out the bar for a while." "V, we're....on a job here.").

(the game is also the buggiest thing I've ever played though, I did a side mission right after Act 1 and after an in-engine cutscene car crash the ground disappeared in half the city and it persisted through saves and reboots. i honestly thought it was part of the game at first cuz i mean you're glitching pretty hard at that point haha but ended up having to reload an earlier save. and game still owns despite it.)

wait where is Cyberpunk dirt cheap? i want it dirt cheap!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

moosecow333 posted:

Every time I’m about to start Cyberpunk there’s another game changing update on the horizon.

For actual content, the character barks in Darkest Dungeon 2 add quite a lot to the game. I also love the idea of forcing two characters to drink so much whiskey they become best friends.

A goon wrote most of them!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sally posted:

wait where is Cyberpunk dirt cheap? i want it dirt cheap!

It's 50% off now

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It's been worth full price for a while now too.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its a fun game choom

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
So later on in the main quest of Tears of the Kingdom, you learn that all the sightings of Zelda around Hyrule were actually a puppet created by Ganondorf. Not terribly surprising, but still a fun reveal.

What was a bit surprising to me was the change to the cinematic during blood moons. The voiceover to that cutscene felt a bit off to me right away compared to BotW, and once I clocked that the speaking Zelda was probably evil, it made sense that she no longer asked Link to be careful and instead seemed to be reveling in the world being dangerous again. But after defeating the puppet, that Zelda vanishes entirely from the cutscene. That quiet, empty version of the scene genuinely creeped me out when I saw it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

sebmojo posted:

It's 50% off now

oh...

i have a very different idea of dirt cheap...

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sally posted:

oh...

i have a very different idea of dirt cheap...

Anything below 75% off is not a sale

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

One of a Kind posted:

So later on in the main quest of Tears of the Kingdom, you learn that all the sightings of Zelda around Hyrule were actually a puppet created by Ganondorf. Not terribly surprising, but still a fun reveal.

What was a bit surprising to me was the change to the cinematic during blood moons. The voiceover to that cutscene felt a bit off to me right away compared to BotW, and once I clocked that the speaking Zelda was probably evil, it made sense that she no longer asked Link to be careful and instead seemed to be reveling in the world being dangerous again. But after defeating the puppet, that Zelda vanishes entirely from the cutscene. That quiet, empty version of the scene genuinely creeped me out when I saw it.

So because Nintendo are lazy story tellers

You can find out that it isn't Zelda if you do the memories before the main plot. The game doesn't acknowledge that in any way though. She still appears in the blood moon cutscenes, everyone still goes "Zelda told me to do this absurd thing", and then my personal favorite is "Link you need to storm the castle and rescue Zelda". They made this giant game that you can hit the plot in whatever order you want and just half rear end how the game responds. This is from the end of a scene where you're told that there is a fifth sage and also you need the master sword.

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1667275931180994560?t=Cqd2H0zO2rXM4rm4PizG0A&s=19

No dialogue changes during the scene up until the end when it adds these few lines.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"devs are lazy" devs made a gigantic loving videogame costing probably over a millennia of labor where you can do poo poo out of order and it does in fact generally recognize that you did this gently caress off with calling them lazy

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"devs are lazy" devs made a gigantic loving videogame costing probably over a millennia of labor where you can do poo poo out of order and it does in fact generally recognize that you did this gently caress off with calling them lazy

Nice meltdown, John Nintendo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They put an incredible amount of effort into everything except the story telling yes

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Sounds like Nintendo to me

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

They put an incredible amount of effort into everything except the story telling yes

There's not a lot you can do when you have to deal with a shitload of permutations for what the player potentially has and hasn't done at any given moment in the story.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sorry we offended your uncle

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

I'm just sick to death of the "lazy devs" line. I know a lot of game developers and if anything they're all incredibly overworked. It's OK to be annoyed or to call out a game when it sucks, just find more creative insults.

EDIT:

exquisite tea posted:

"Lazy" can also mean "lacking in attention to detail or careless" rather than you know, saying Nintendo developers don't work hard or anything.

"Lazy devs" and "devs didn't care" are the same insult. It implies that the problem was that the devs didn't apply themselves enough, rather than that the problem was that you're tackling a fundamentally extremely hard problem with limited resources.

TooMuchAbstraction has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Jun 21, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"Lazy" can also mean "lacking in attention to detail or careless" rather than you know, saying Nintendo developers don't work hard or anything.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

personally I would have devoted another extra year of development toward creating thousands of interlocking conditional story flags so the game can tell that I have no reason to go the castle, because I already figured the story out. i am still going to go to the castle because there is stuff there to pick up and add to my bag of hoarding, but it should acknowledge this by shortening 30 seconds of dialogue i am already mashing through.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's not a lot you can do when you have to deal with a shitload of permutations for what the player potentially has and hasn't done at any given moment in the story.

I know it's a meme, but Fallout New Vegas figured this out ages ago.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
quote is not edit

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Philippe posted:

Link should have the option to bang Ganondorf and kill him in his sleep after.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would have chosen to nuke Kakariko

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

EDIT:

"Lazy devs" and "devs didn't care" are the same insult. It implies that the problem was that the devs didn't apply themselves enough, rather than that the problem was that you're tackling a fundamentally extremely hard problem with limited resources.

As someone who had done a lot of work in the videogame industry and has many close friends who are still involved in said industry, 'devs don't care' is a surprisingly accurate description for many of them, especially when you're talking about producers and directors of development. These days it's very common for those positions to be filled with MBA tech-bros who understand that games make money but don't understand why people actually play them or who people play them. A quote I heard recently that describes them perfectly is, 'If you are constantly chasing after the competitor in front of you, everything you make will look like your competitor's rear end'

You can see the end product, but you can't see, or necessarily understand, the decisions that led to that design which means you will probably miss the reasons it is successful'.

A friend of mine, who has worked on more than a few AAA titles for Ubi, EA, and Activision, is now working as a Creative Director for a mobile company that is making a licensed product for a MAJOR franchise. This franchise has many iconic characters, and the producer and the Director of Development want to copy a previous game and use all of them without regard to canon.

Now the licensor is very sensitive about their canon purity and will not allow that, and my friend is stuck trying to explain that to his bosses, but the bosses see the product purely in ease of design and in marketing terms and so are about to lose the contract and not even realize why.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Philippe posted:

I'll always remember getting a chuckle out of how engine shenanigans cause you to initiate and fail like 4 major quests in a row including the sound cues as soon as you commit to an endgame path. I think Mr. House even has a dialogue tree break to put you back in gameplay for all those quests to fail, and then it just resumes and your only option if you've found the chip is this exchange:

quote:

YOU: Can we get down to business?

HOUSE (borderline joyous): Oh, by all means, yes! That's refreshing!

YOU: What happens next?

HOUSE: A great deal. A cascade of events with you taking a central role. :)

Thanks man I think I got it!!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I love when a metroidvania lets you naturally discover parts of its exploration mechanics. Axiom Verge has an upgrade that gives you a drone that fits into morph-ball sized entrances. You get it very early, it''s weak, and only has 1 weapon, but you can use it to pick up upgrades and scout ahead. I've been using it to reach ledges I normally can't, and grabbed a few upgrades because of it, since you fire it in an arc. I also grabbed a range upgrade for it that makes it fly farther before landing. Last night I solved a puzzle with it and unlocked the ability to teleport to its location, which means that I can crawl through a narrow gap and then teleport to it and use the much larger toolset to further explore the area. You use the same button to fire it that you would use to teleport to it. What the game doesn't tell you is that you can cancel the arc of the drone by tapping that same button while it is mid flight. This effectively makes it a free teleport to anywhere the drone is currently flying toward. It's a scuffed double jump! And it works really drat well, way better than the double-tap teleport dash or the grappling hook for mobility. The downside is it's hidden behind the only boss in the game that could kill me, it took over a dozen attempts until I finally found a weapon to deal with its tougher-than-usual minions (which is also my favorite weapon, it's an auto-homing lightning bolt that you can press and hold instead of tap firing like everything else)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

What irks most people is the fact that the game 100% completely stonefaces you about it, not an ounce of acknowledgment. Not even a single NPC with a throw away line like 'Oh you figured it out huh? Well let's just keep it under wraps for now, we have more immediate things to deal with. :ssh:'

It's not some secret buried in the corner hidden side quest, it's pushed as a major thing to do at any time once you unlock it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s weird, because Breath of the Wild definitely nods to you getting the Master Sword early at least, and tbh doing that before the shrines in BOTW is a significantly bigger ask than doing in Tears since there’s more shrines in the latter and the Depths exist partially to let you find them by having huge chunks of the underworld tell you where they are in the main world.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Croccers posted:

What irks most people is the fact that the game 100% completely stonefaces you about it, not an ounce of acknowledgment. Not even a single NPC with a throw away line like 'Oh you figured it out huh? Well let's just keep it under wraps for now, we have more immediate things to deal with. :ssh:'

It's not some secret buried in the corner hidden side quest, it's pushed as a major thing to do at any time once you unlock it.

If you find all the Tears you can go back to Impa at the Forgotten Temple and that exact thing happens; she says to keep it under wraps and goes back to Kakariko Village to find a way to return Zelda to normal

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SgtSteel91 posted:

If you find all the Tears you can go back to Impa at the Forgotten Temple and that exact thing happens; she says to keep it under wraps and goes back to Kakariko Village to find a way to return Zelda to normal

Does that change things after you've done all the temples and everyone goes THAT'S ZELDA UP THERE GO GET HER ?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Len posted:

Does that change things after you've done all the temples and everyone goes THAT'S ZELDA UP THERE GO GET HER ?

Nope, Link is pretty good about staying silent on these kinds of things when asked.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Len posted:

This is going into personal headcanon/fanfic but I take going up to Hyrule castle after finding all the Tears to be Link confronting the imposter Zelda, even if it is a trap, because how dare you wear her face

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bawk posted:

Nope, Link is pretty good about staying silent on these kinds of things when asked.

:haw:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SgtSteel91 posted:

This is going into personal headcanon/fanfic but I take going up to Hyrule castle after finding all the Tears to be Link confronting the imposter Zelda, even if it is a trap, because how dare you wear her face

that honestly should have been the plot change if you knew about it already. everyone can still know it's a trap, but Links gonna kick the door in to get revenge.

instead we just get an apathetic shrug

bawk posted:

Except after that plot development

purah goes on a whole spiel about needing to find another sage and the master sword. then at the very end Link makes some gestures and she goes "you found them already? and the master sword? why didn't you say so sooner?!"

so why didn't he let anyone know Zelda wasn't Zelda?

I'm putting more thought into the story than they did I'm aware

Len has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Jun 22, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've decided to give Blasphemous another go. It's pretty interesting, and I like how frequent the shortcuts end up being, especially in areas like the Sunken Church (which is as far as I've got to far, but unlocking more and more of the opening stairwell therefore making the area far faster to play through is quite satisfying). Due to not being mired in the catholic faith I'm probably going to miss a lot of specific iconography, but I like the obvious stuff like the protagonist's helmet being a similar vibe to a bishop's mitre but wrapped in a crown of thorns, along with their whole thing being self-flallegation via the thorn embedded in the hilt of their sword plus their vow of silence.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
PYF Little Things In Games: Due to not being mired in the catholic faith I'm probably going to miss a lot of specific iconography

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Len posted:

lol at least no-one can accuse you of false modesty

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Len posted:

i know deciding you're right and arguing about it to the death is your Thing but you're missing the point entirely. even if everyone knows the things you want them to have acknowledged that they know, in-story that confrontation still needs to happen because Something's hosed and they need to know why it's happening. maybe zelda's still involved, and saving/rescuing "part of her" is important! with hindsight you might know that's not true, but that's hindsight from already having seen that plot point and not from the sidequest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

Pulsarcat posted:

I tried out a demo of a game called Laika: Aged Through Blood, a metroidvania that combines Trials style motorcycle gameplay with horrifying furry violence.

Laika, the... the space dog?

Laika: Aged Through Blood will feature violence, blood, drugs, and strong language.