Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Especially when the company linked on the last few pages, Triton Subs, makes a SPECIFIC MODEL for diving to the Titanic called the, get this, the Titanic Explorer, and it has a loving fully-acrylic shell for viewing. And presumably (given that they're used by all the professional filmmakers for documentaries), they meet various safety standards and have more actual data on the performance of their vehicle than these OceanGate jokers. Triton also claims they have a bunch of redundant systems for surfacing etc.

I'm sure it's a cool $50 mil or something, and it's limited to two people, but they ALSO claim that due to its design it can get to the Titanic in less than 2 hours, which means you could probably do a couple trips a day and clearly people will pay for it.

only seats 2 which means when you get to the titanic you can gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hazardousmouse posted:

quote:

NTSB Identification: MIA92FA051 .
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, December 23, 1991 in RAINBOW LAKE, FL
Probable Cause Approval Date: 5/5/1993
Aircraft: PIPER PA-34-200T, registration: N47506
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

THE PRIVATE PILOT AND A PILOT RATED PASSENGER WERE GOING TO PRACTICE
SIMULATED INSTRUMENT FLIGHT. WITNESSES OBSERVED THE AIRPLANE'S RIGHT
WING FAIL IN A DIVE AND CRASH. EXAMINATION OF THE WRECKAGE AND BODIES
REVEALED THAT BOTH OCCUPANTS WERE PARTIALLY CLOTHED AND THE FRONT
RIGHT SEAT WAS IN THE FULL AFT RECLINING POSITION. NEITHER BODY SHOWED
EVIDENCE OF SEATBELTS OR SHOULDER HARNESSES BEING WORN. EXAMINATION OF
THE INDIVIDUALS' CLOTHING REVEALED NO EVIDENCE OF RIPPING OR DISTRESS
TO THE ZIPPERS AND BELTS.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable
cause(s) of this accident as follows:

THE PILOT IN COMMAND'S IMPROPER IN-FLIGHT DECISION TO DIVERT HER
ATTENTION TO OTHER ACTIVITIES NOT RELATED TO THE CONDUCT OF THE
FLIGHT. CONTRIBUTING TO THE ACCIDENT WAS THE EXCEEDING OF THE DESIGN
LIMITS OF THE AIRPLANE LEADING TO A WING FAILURE.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'wow it's great to finally join the mile high club... i mean the 3000 feet.... no 2000 feet club... hmm'

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
gee honey the only thing going down more than you right now is this plane!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lovin', no elevator
Livin' it up when we're goin' down
Lovin' no elevator
Pullin' it up but we hit the ground

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sagebrush posted:

In order to pump to the outside of the submarine at the Titanic's depth, the toilet would have to pressurize the waste to over 6,000 PSI.

My air gun pumps to 3000 psi, they easily go up to 6000 in little hand pumps.

https://www.amazon.com/Ejoyous-0-60...ps%2C313&sr=8-1

Actually maybe this is what happened one of them was trying to flush and decided 5000 psi was good enough.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Bananana posted:

Lovin', no elevator
Livin' it up when we're goin' down
Lovin' no elevator
Pullin' it up but we hit the ground

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

On the subject of gruesome underwater death, the old-style diving suits could be potential death-traps. The ones with a big brass helmet and a canvas suit. They had to be pressurised by a pump on the boat.
This meant that if the diver was deep enough and the pump failed, the suit would depressurise and the diver's body would be crushed like a tube of toothpaste and at least partially forced upwards into the helmet.

Mythbusters tried it out using a pig carcass.

:nms: Blood and gore warning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Mr. Crow posted:

Actually maybe this is what happened one of them was trying to flush and decided 5000 psi was good enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-1206

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mozi posted:

'wow it's great to finally join the mile high club... i mean the 3000 feet.... no 2000 feet club... hmm'
terrain! ... pull out!

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

At-depth buoyancy has been solved for a while, syntactic foams basically have no buoyancy loss curve vs. depth, are pretty cheap, and are wildly customizable. You can make almost anything perfectly neutrally buoyant without trying super hard.

Also super lol at the ballast system. "Shake the boat real hard to wobble it loose" is a god-tier solution to 'we lost power and are slowly sinking'.

In the 1960s the Trieste (first sub to go to the bottom of the Marianas Trench) used a shitload of gasoline for buoyancy because it’s less dense than water and pretty incompressible.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Jesus Christ this is the Something Awful forums.

The traditional response is that they could not have used an Xbox Controller because it is TOO HUGE and would have made the vessel too heavy to surface.

RDM posted:

They'd be alive if they had a turbo controller that could autofire Y (the surface button)

That’s more like it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Xbox controller became encrusted with seamen.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

Jesus Christ this is the Something Awful forums.

The traditional response is that they could not have used an Xbox Controller because it is TOO HUGE and would have made the vessel too heavy to surface.

We have failed our forebears

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

hazardousmouse posted:

It's the implication.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
drat, Gordon Lightfoot just died a few weeks ago. Who's going to write the ballad of the brave sub captain who took one for the human race?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

My main issue with the controller is that they used the Bluetooth version of that controller and i wouldn't trust my life to Bluetooth.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
How else are you going to get your passengers who have literally no submersible piloting experience to drive the sub?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Buttchocks posted:

drat, Gordon Lightfoot just died a few weeks ago. Who's going to write the ballad of the brave sub captain who took one for the human race?

It's already been written:

https://open.spotify.com/track/2stkLJ0JNcXkIRDNF3ld6c?si=Q_m_Rxo9SzqTX8fOiFeSvw

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Preliminary reports state that someone forgot to shut off the blue tooth thing on their phone.
Then they got a call and their Ringtone was Two Way Freak by Three 6 Mafia. Well, since the controller was from 2005 and the ringtone was something that the one guy downloaded 18 years ago for 3.50$ + tax, it was completely compatible with the controller, but it meant that the sub started going in the wrong direction and before they could figure out what the problem was, the remote control batteries died and the sub landed just inside the remains of the boiler room.

This wouldn't necessarily a problem, as they have some spare batteries, but nobody has a tiny phillips head screw driver to open up the controller to change them.

I read some engineering poo poo one time, so I'm pretty qualified to comment on this.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
No one has mentioned this fantastic seating arrangement yet? Here come sit on this bench and we will go see the titanic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

https://newrepublic.com/post/173802/missing-titanic-sub-faced-lawsuit-depths-safely-travel-oceangate

quote:

The concerns Lochridge voiced came to light as part of a breach of contract case related to Lochridge refusing to greenlight manned tests of the early models of the submersible over safety concerns. Lochridge was fired, and then OceanGate sued him for disclosing confidential information about the Titan submersible. In response, Lochridge filed a compulsory counterclaim where he alleged wrongful termination over being a whistleblower about the quality and safety of the submersible.

quote:

At the meeting Lochridge discovered why he had been denied access to the viewport information from the Engineering department—the viewport at the forward of the submersible was only built to a certified pressure of 1,300 meters, although OceanGate intended to take passengers down to depths of 4,000 meters. Lochridge learned that the viewport manufacturer would only certify to a depth of 1,300 meters due to experimental design of the viewport supplied by OceanGate, which was out of the Pressure Vessels for Human Occupancy (“PVHO”) standards. OceanGate refused to pay for the manufacturer to build a viewport that would meet the required depth of 4,000 meters.

Oh.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Edit: Super glad they highlighted the problem

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Edit: Super glad they highlighted the problem

Hmm..

What part of the sub is that?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Kafouille posted:

You can make pressure vessels just fine out of carbon fiber, high performance tanks often are CF now. But that only works if the inside of the cylinder is the high pressure bit, carbon fiber doesn't do poo poo in compression so using it for a sub is stupid as hell.

I'm pretty sure they used it because making one-off steel pressure vessels is expensive, making a one-off carbon fiber anything is really cheap.

I don't really work with carbon fiber and I was sitting here going "...but carbon fiber's poo poo in compression. right? is my brain not working again?"

Nope, I remembered correctly. thanks.

They made a loving cylindrical pressure vessel out of carbon fiber gently caress

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rwka1pvEM91r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rwk9wzq87m1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rwgchs7ouh1qigfjt.mp4

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Many thanks

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Csixtyfour posted:

No one has mentioned this fantastic seating arrangement yet? Here come sit on this bench and we will go see the titanic.

Oh you sweet summer child. These are disruptors! They don't concern themselves with such ancient technology as seating. The sub had a flat padded floor and everyone including the pilot sat cross legged on it like it was kindergarten again. Also they charged $250K for this.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Log082 posted:

I don't really work with carbon fiber and I was sitting here going "...but carbon fiber's poo poo in compression. right? is my brain not working again?"

Nope, I remembered correctly. thanks.

They made a loving cylindrical pressure vessel out of carbon fiber gently caress

carbon fiber married to a titanium dome

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I found this picture of a test dive before they limited capacity to 5 and switched to the Logitech

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mustard_tiger posted:

Oh you sweet summer child. These are disruptors! They don't concern themselves with such ancient technology as seating. The sub had a flat padded floor and everyone including the pilot sat cross legged on it like it was kindergarten again. Also they charged $250K for this.

I mean, most small research subs barely have seating. Most have a cushioned floor, and maybe a tiny square of cushion on a wall you can lean against. Some sub are rated for 3 people, and the third person has to slav-squat for the entire trip.

Their sub sucks poo poo, clearly, but lack of seating means nothing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I want in on this

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

*sigh*

Alright. Start running and I'll get the truck.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
I found this simulation created at great expense of the final moments of the missing sub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjyZdqg1sEo

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hey, has Logitech commented at all, on their involvement in killing those people?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:monocle: is that Hunter S Thompson driving at the :10 second mark?

Also that must go wrong a lot. Roping is a pain in the rear end but its a lot better for the animals than this Mad Max poo poo

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

I hope they got to see the Titanic before they "rapidly innovated".

Silius
Apr 24, 2010
They clearly saw Jurassic Park The Lost World and stole the dino capturing tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf30qQzw7rk

https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1671288248327438337?t=_QCbDbBGshgqtZLZiy9IBg&s=19