Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

On the topic of souls, is it held that souls are created at the birth/quickening/let's not be too particular you know what I mean of the individual? Do they pre-exist? Did God create all necessary souls at once or do they get thrown down as more humans come about?

What happens when he runs out??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Well you don’t have to think about souls like that. Rather literally the word is more “current of air, wind” or that which moves us. It doesn’t have to be a separate neo-platonic essence of the self.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

At once is binding time to a timeless being. At every time and every place there is a necessary amount of souls.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Azathoth posted:

No small amount of ink has been spilled on exactly that question. I'll offer my own thoughts, which I think are generally in line with mainstream Protestant interpretations, and I'll touch a bit on the Historical Jesus, as that's one of my personal areas of interest.

First, that cry must be understood as Jesus directly quoting Psalms 22 and so any interpretation of what the cry itself means has to be grounded in what the psalmist is saying. I'd recommend reading the whole thing, which I'll link but not quote: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%2022&version=NRSVUE. The psalm is about someone feeling that all is lost but still trusting in God, so keep that in mind as we go forward.

Given the psalm, I take the cry to be that of one suffering in absolute desolation and despair, which is fitting for someone being crucified, as crucifixion is not only designed to be supremely painful but also supremely humiliating. Jesus, at that moment, feels furthest from God the Father, but with his cry he doesn't just express that he also expresses his trust in God's plan. This is an area where Jesus the man as understood in the context of the Historical Jesus butts up against later theological development of the Trinity, which I'll address more in your second question, but for now, let's not inquire too deeply over exactly who's plan we're dealing with.

This idea of Jesus being willing to suffer and die is prefigured by his anguish in the Garden of Gethsemane earlier when he says "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." (Matthew 26:39) and then "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.” (Matthew 26:42).

I would also argue that Jesus, as fully human, experienced the full range of human experiences and an unavoidable part of that is feeling despair at not being able to perceive the presence of God in times of hardship, yet with that cry, he also simultaneously expresses that he knows God is there and that he trusts God.

Now, admittedly, this is a complex reading of the text and more plain readings are possible. One of those readings is that Jesus the man was crying out to God because God had actually departed from him before his death. This is a view considered heretical by most modern Christians. Basically it says that Jesus wasn't born divine but that God entered into Jesus at his baptism by John the Baptist and he then departed Jesus on the cross, usually reasoned because God cannot possibly die. It also has the advantage of explaining why Jesus needed to be baptized at all, another theologically tricky question. I don't personally hold to that view, but it was common enough in early Christianity that it needed to be condemned as a heresy later.

Now, this brings up a point that will take me into your second question. The four narratives of the crucifixion presented in the canonical Gospels are irreconcilable. Jesus cries out to God in Mark and Matthew but says other things in Luke and John. So we have to ask ourselves, did Jesus really quote Psalm 22 from the cross?

My answer to that is that it's possible but we don't really have a way to know. Matthew is very concerned with portraying Jesus as the fulfillment of Israelite prophecy about the Messiah, so having Jesus quote a Psalm there fits perfectly with what he's doing. That Mark includes it when he doesn't have the same goal is a point in favor of authenticity, but it's an open question in scholarship exactly how scripture Jesus would have been able to recite as it's generally accepted that he was illiterate. Personally, I think it's likely that, on the cross, he did express a feeling of abandonment and desolation, though I question whether it was in those specific words.

And here we come to the Historical Jesus.

The mainstream (little-o orthodox) understanding would say that Jesus understood at all times that he was God and this view seems to have developed early within Christianity, though it was by no means universal in the early Christian community. It is, however, the view expressed by the eventual winners of the theological struggle.

Something that may help here is understanding the order in which the Gospels were written. It is generally accepted that Mark was written first, followed by Matthew and Luke, then John. Whether Luke used Matthew or vice versa is an unsettled area of scholarship but most scholars agree that they were written pretty close to each other and that they used Mark when writing, with John coming later. Personally, I subscribe to Mark being written first, then Matthew who had a copy of Mark, then Luke who had a copy of both Mark and Matthew.

This is relevant because on the chain of Mark -> Matthew -> Luke -> John, we see a historiographical shift in the presentation of Jesus. In Mark, Jesus is portrayed as the most human while in John he is portrayed as the most divine. Scholars will vary on that, but to me it is plain as day, with the caveat that I think Matthew and Luke both are about on the same level.

It's also important to remember that despite the names attached, none of the authors knew Jesus. None of the writers claim to be disciples, and we know with certainty that they were not. Mark claims to have been written by the companion/translator of Luke, but that is not likely for a variety of reasons. So basically it needs to be accepted that although the writers of the Gospels were passing on hearsay about the life of Jesus. Also note, they are called by convention after the name of their Gospel though not accepted by anyone anymore to actually be said historical figures.

So when Mark includes the direct Aramaic that Jesus spoke, he didn't hear it from Jesus' lips. He also likely didn't hear about it from someone who heard it directly either. Same for Matthew, who likely included what Mark wrote because it fit his goals, not because he necessarily knew it to be historically accurate, though he may have thought it was.

By the time we get to John, we have gone from the very human Jesus sweating bullets about the crucifixion in Mark to a very divine Jesus in John who acts much more in line with the modern view of a Jesus who could look upon the world in knowing bemusement as it all plays out.

Personally, I think that Jesus understood himself to be the prophecied Messiah eventually but not right away at birth. My reading, informed by a historical critical framework, is that Jesus was initially a follower of John the Baptist and at some point around his baptism came to understand himself as the one John was talking about, and thus began his own public ministry. I tend to view this as being caused by the killing of John the Baptist, which caused Jesus to rethink a lot of things.

I get this and the next point from Historical Jesus scholar John Dominic Crossan, who asserts that Jesus' big innovation was understanding that humans were waiting on God to fix the world and God was waiting on humans to start the process. So Jesus preached about the coming Kingdom of God, which he viewed as very much an earthly creation. Note, this is in express contrast to little-o orthodox understanding of the Kingdom of God as something spiritual. He asserts that it is likely that Jesus thought he was building an earthly kingdom and that God would eventually place him on the throne of said kingdom.

I am dubious on that specific point about earthly power, in that I view Jesus through an apocalyptic lens (which Crossan does not). My view is that Jesus also thought the world was going to be radically remade by God in the very near future, so unlike Simon bar Kokhba who a hundred years later would claim to be the messiah and rule over an earthly kingdom, I don't think Jesus thought that it would get that far before God came back, resurrected the dead, and instituted his kingdom on Earth.

As for why Jesus would not know all this, well, if he knew everything, he wouldn't be fully human. Humans cannot be omniscient so it makes sense that Jesus would have a period where he would experience that. I don't think that continues today of course, but there's a bunch of places where Jesus either explicitly or implicitly lacks full knowledge, and that's fundamental to the human experience.

I've rambled enough on this, so I think I'll just cut this here.

this is neat

ive been reading several historical chronologies and for the most part (i havent read all of them, and literally every christian in here is smarter than me about this) but its my understanding that the gospels unfolded chronologically, with mark "first" and john "last" and through a weird game of judaic-christian telephone the gospels are changed and evolved to fit the communities that the writers were working to evangelize. i profess a fondness for mark because of its simplicity and its leaning on christ the human rather than christ the divine, but i also think its worth noting your perspective of "which came first is hilariously muddy, welcum 2 theology &c"

i am also curious if folx in here have knowledge or understanding of why jesus needed to be baptized. i always saw the john/jesus rivalry as just that, and that jesus (like rome converting to christianity) saw it as politically... not expedient, because the dude knew what he was doing, but like, john's baptizing gives jesus' messianic claims more legitimacy? i could be like 10000% wrong here

thanks ill take a 10-piece spicy nugget and a vanilla frosty

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Given how many Classical documents we know once existed and now have no copies of, I find it perfectly plausible that members of a small and persecuted cult were unable to transmit texts as copied manuscripts, rather than by word of mouth.

Whether Jesus could write is something we just don't have evidence of one way or the other. "Well, if he did, it should have survived" entirely ignores the vast quantities of manuscripts, including manuscripts highly valued by their contemporaries, that vanished for good.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Christian revelation... It’s like watching Rashōmon.

holy poo poo

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Given how many Classical documents we know once existed and now have no copies of, I find it perfectly plausible that members of a small and persecuted cult were unable to transmit texts as copied manuscripts, rather than by word of mouth.

Whether Jesus could write is something we just don't have evidence of one way or the other. "Well, if he did, it should have survived" entirely ignores the vast quantities of manuscripts, including manuscripts highly valued by their contemporaries, that vanished for good.

yeah like didnt part of the nag hammadi documents get used as like kindling or something after it was discovered lol

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Nessus posted:

On the topic of souls, is it held that souls are created at the birth/quickening/let's not be too particular you know what I mean of the individual? Do they pre-exist? Did God create all necessary souls at once or do they get thrown down as more humans come about?

there are strains of jewish thought that posit that the individual "breath/life/soul" (neshama) of A Person exists in a version of heaven and this is most frequently cited during weddings ime, as there's a perspective that's kind of, but not quite, like "soul mates"

i have no ideal about its relevance in christianity except as a political cudgel (in any usage)

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Keromaru5 posted:

In the Nicene Creed, he's described in the following terms: Begotten from the Father before all ages - meaning that, like the Father, God the Son existed before the Creation, and is not bound by time; there was no time when the Son did not exist; and Through whom all things were made - As the Word of God, the Son was the means through which the world was made. When God says "Let there be light," that's the Son at work. And in John's Gospel, he declares "Before Abraham was, I am."

(It's also inaccurate to describe a person of the Trinity as "part" of God. Each one is God, and all three of them together are God.)

Something I don't understand about that: are the "Father" and "Son" labels just something used to make it easier for people to understand? Like, God the Son is not the literal son of God the Father? My understanding of the terms is that a father would by necessity predate a son, but it sounds more like they always existed forever, and we just call them by those names to make it easier for the human mind to grasp it.

I suppose a related question, going off of the Trinity concept, is why there are only three persons of the Trinity. Could there be the possibility of additional persons being created, or of those that we don't know about? Does the number three have a special significance in the faith or with regards to God, or is it just something incidental?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

killer crane posted:

The Roman empire was an existential threat to the nation of Israel at the time. They were an occupying force, and would eventually spell the end of the second temple era. If the Jesus story is a continuation of the Yahweh story then it makes sense for Jesus to arrive at a time of great crisis for the people of Israel.

I want to build on this, because 1st century Roman Judea is an absolutely fascinating place. The ten cent history of the Israelites is that they were a people who lived at the frontier of two great empires, Egypt and the Assyrians, Babylonians, Seleucids. Through their history, they had been pushed and pulled between the two, with one ascending in power and pulling Israel (and later Judah) into their sphere then one waning and the other ascending.

The Israelites were kind of on this rollercoaster and you can see this desire to be the masters of their own destiny all over the Old Testament. And then in the disintegration of the Seleucid Empire, they achieved it when the Hasmoneans ruled effectively independently. Right up until about 30 years before Jesus was born when the Romans stepped in and took over, first indirectly through a client king, then when Jesus is about 10 they take control directly. It was the most traumatic series of events since the Babylonian Captivity hundreds of years before, to the Jewish people, it must have seemed like the world was ending.

If ever in history was there a time for God to manifest on Earth, that was it.

Nessus posted:

Something that is worth bringing up beyond the other very good answers given is that the body and the soul are very much intertwined. It isn't until very late in the Old Testament do we see an articulation of the idea of a separate soul going to an afterlife. Before that, it was very much all about being right with God while you're alive not because that then gets you a reward in the afterlife but because of all the great things God did for Israel. The latter focus remained but by the time of Jesus there's a theological spat over this between the Pharisees and the Sadducees, with the Pharisees having a belief in a resurrection of the dead and the Sadducees more or less saying that it's all about the here and now. A gross oversimplification but I bring it up to highlight that the community Jesus was from and preached to either thought that their body and soul would be resurrected together or that there was no afterlife at all.

The New Testament definitely has a concept of an afterlife (duh) but it doesn't really touch more on the concept of the creation of souls. The Greeks, as Bar Ran Dun alluded to, had a definite idea of a preexisting discorportated soul that exists forever in the afterlife. I don't find much evidence of platonic philosophy leaking into the biblical text itself, which pretty clearly outlines that we die, we go to some place and await the resurrection of the dead, then we all come back and get new spiritual bodies and live in the world to come. We still there don't see much of an idea of a separate body and soul though the soul definitely does rest in comfort while awaiting resurrection.

I bring all this up to say that while the Bible is largely silent on the creation of souls, it could be argued that it isn't mentioned because the authors didn't conceive of the two separately so when they talk about creation of the body, they are also talking about creation of the soul. God is creating things all the time, it never made sense to me why he couldn't just create souls as needed. However, I think a variety of theories on that could be supported by the texts.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

two fish posted:

Something I don't understand about that: are the "Father" and "Son" labels just something used to make it easier for people to understand? Like, God the Son is not the literal son of God the Father? My understanding of the terms is that a father would by necessity predate a son, but it sounds more like they always existed forever, and we just call them by those names to make it easier for the human mind to grasp it.
No, the whole point is that Jesus is the literal, physical Son of God. Both a human being and God himself, in one package.

And the reason that there's only one Holy Spirit is because three is a cool number is that that's the tradition that has come down to us.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Ah, see, I was referring to the divine aspect of Jesus as God the Son, not as his human aspect, since God the Son existed both before and after his time on Earth, correct?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

two fish posted:

My personal belief is that it's all language to make it easier to grasp.

quote:

I suppose a related question, going off of the Trinity concept, is why there are only three persons of the Trinity. Could there be the possibility of additional persons being created, or of those that we don't know about? Does the number three have a special significance in the faith or with regards to God, or is it just something incidental?

I can't say that God can't have another aspect, but I think the trinity is a specific tool in understanding God from a human perspective. We see God outside of ourselves in the Father, God in others through Jesus, and God within through the Holy Spirit.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nessus posted:

In Orthodoxy, it's held that each soul is created with the body, so it does not pre-exist.

quote:

There is an idea in the Kaballah of a treasury of souls, called the Chamber of Guf; when it's empty, the Messiah will come.

(It's also where Shinji enters Minus Space for his final confrontation with his father, but that's another topic entirely.)

sinnesloeschen posted:

i am also curious if folx in here have knowledge or understanding of why jesus needed to be baptized. i always saw the john/jesus rivalry as just that, and that jesus (like rome converting to christianity) saw it as politically... not expedient, because the dude knew what he was doing, but like, john's baptizing gives jesus' messianic claims more legitimacy? i could be like 10000% wrong here
Well first, who says it's a rivalry? The Gospels have them both lavishing praise on each other.

As for "needing" to be baptized, even John questions it when Jesus comes up. "I should be baptized by you." I think part of it has to do with Jesus showing his adherence to the Law, even though he doesn't need to; as John's baptism is really a charismatic application of the Torah commandments about ritual purification. On another level, according to Chrysostom, it was specifically to reveal himself to John, and show him that the one he's been waiting for has arrived; as such, all three Persons of the Trinity appear in this narrative. To some extent, it's also revealing what kind of God he is: one that submits in humility to others.

On another level, I have in mind something Fr. Alexander Schmemann said about the sacraments not so much changing the materials as revealing their true nature. So where the old Law prescribes water for cleansing the ritual impurities that regularly pile up, Jesus purifies the waters, revealing their new role in the Christian sacrament--cleansing of sin, participation in His death and resurrection (St. Paul discusses this), and binding the believer to Christ; and in Nicene Christianity, only needs to be done once.

One last thing: typological analysis connects baptism to Noah riding out the Flood and the Israelites crossing the Red Sea. Both are narratives where the people of God pass through water to reach a new world or new homeland. There's a subtle connection to the Flood in the Gospels: when Jesus is baptized, the heavens open up, which is similar to how Genesis describes the beginning of the deluge. Only where before, the heavens dropped water over the world, now they drop the Holy Spirit.

Which, now that I think about it, rather nicely fulfills John's prophecy: "I baptize with water, but the one who comes after me will baptize with the Holy Spirit."

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Also two fish, be careful about thinking about the experience of God in sterile scientific terms and trying to perceive a kind of clockwork order that fully explains the nature of God. These are the best human terms we have come up with to describe something that is so beyond our understanding we need a whole new vocabulary to meaningfully discuss. Just by the nature of language they're going to be imprecise, so try not to get too hung up on things like exactly how much does the relationship of God the Father and God the Son mirror that or a human father and son or things of that nature.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Azathoth posted:

, they achieved it when the Hasmoneans ruled effectively independently.

Yeah all the Mary names are named after the Mariamne’s

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Well you don’t have to think about souls like that. Rather literally the word is more “current of air, wind” or that which moves us. It doesn’t have to be a separate neo-platonic essence of the self.
I mean I don't really believe in the soul as such but I'm curious about the teachings and their practical interpretations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

two fish posted:

In some extent; the human mind can never fully grasp the true nature of God, and it's called the mystery of the Trinity for a reason. Not in the sense that it's there for us to solve, but in the classical Greek sense of a greater incomprehensible reality that we're a part of. So in that sense, "Father" and "Son" are the best terms we have for their particular relationship. We refer to the Son of God as "begotten," not in terms of chronology, but to name the Father as the source of the Son, in a similar way to how a human father begets a human son.

On the other hand, to the extent that those are the best words: yes, we also mean it literally.

quote:

That's what's been revealed to us. I don't know that I have a better answer than that.

Importantly, though, "creation" applies only to things that are not God. If God creates them, they're not God. And we have nine orders of angels as it is. Maybe it's persnickity, but if there's one tie that binds Greek Christian theology, it's finding exactly the right word for something.

But this is also why I think the Church made the right decision at the Council of Nicea: Arius contended that the Son was created, then the world was created through him. But if the Son was created, then he hasn't really brought us any closer to the Father; he's just an extraneous divinity serving as a gatekeeper to the true God. It becomes sort of like how Protestants think of praying to saints: why not just go straight to God? Whereas in the orthodox view, the Son is a perfect icon of the Father, and in his own right serves as God With Us.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

These are all some very good explanations, thank you, I appreciate all the effort. I'm very much fascinated by the concept of the Trinity, which to an outsider perspective like my own can be quite strange.

Segueing from the Trinity into another interest of mine, are there antecedents of the Trinity in the Old Testament? If not, is there an explanation of why the Trinity is explicit in the New Testament, but not in the Old?

Also, on the topic of the Old Testament, are the scriptures used in Christianity the same as those used in Judaism, or are there differences in translation or wording between the two?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

two fish posted:

Segueing from the Trinity into another interest of mine, are there antecedents of the Trinity in the Old Testament? If not, is there an explanation of why the Trinity is explicit in the New Testament, but not in the Old?
The one I'm familiar with is right in the first chapter of Genesis.

The Father created heaven and earth.
The Holy Spirit was over the waters.
The Word is "Let there be..."

There might be more, but I don't know what they are yet.

quote:

Also, on the topic of the Old Testament, are the scriptures used in Christianity the same as those used in Judaism, or are there differences in translation or wording between the two?
Long story short: yes, there can be.

There are two big differences between the Christian Old Testament and Jewish Bible. First is that Catholic and Orthodox canons include the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical books, which were included with the original Greek translation, the Septuagint (aka the LXX), but don't exist in Hebrew. The canon in most Protestant-oriented bibles is the same as the Jewish canon.

The second difference is that the Jewish canon is presented in a different order. The Jewish canon is separated into three categories: the Torah, the five books of Moses; the Nevi'im, that is, the Prophets (which includes historical books like Joshua, Judges, Samuel, and Kings, but not Daniel); and the Ketuvim the writings, which are used in different liturgical contexts, and includes the Wisdom literature and the Chronicles. In Hebrew, the full Jewish bible is referred to as the Tanakh, which is an acronym for these three categories.

Christian bibles tend to be in the same order as the Septuagint. So after the Torah, you have the historical books, Ruth, and Chronicles, followed by the Psalms and Wisdom literature, then the Prophets. In Catholicism and Orthodoxy, the LXX books are interspersed throughout; otherwise, they're in their own section between the Testaments.

As far as the actual text, translations always follow a certain set of beliefs. Most of it's the same, but I know the Jewish version of the "suffering servant" passage from Isaiah, where it's understood as being about Israel, comes across differently from a typical Christian one, where it's about Jesus.

Of course, most modern Bibles are working from the Hebrew, regardless of their tradition. Orthodox tradition, on the other hand, uses the Septuagint, which has a ton of differences, in addition to what I mentioned above. The Psalms are numbered differently. Job has large differences and additions to the epilogue. Daniel and Esther have additional chapters, in the latter case making it a more explicitly religious book. This is also where we get the "virgin" vs. "young woman" controversy in Isaiah. In general, when the New Testament quotes the Old, it's quoting the LXX.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Also I don't think it's accurate to say that trinitarian theology is explicitly present in the New Testament. I think it's more apparent than in the Old Testament as you've got the second person of the Trinity right there front and center in the New Testament, but it's never laid out in terms like you'd see in the Nicene (or Athanasian) Creed.

That doesn't mean it isn't there in both the Old and New Testaments. There's a good reason why the vast majority of Christian denominations explicitly claim trinitarian theology. I'd go so far as to say that it's a nearly inescapable conclusion so long as one doesn't bring in additional scripture like the Latter Day Saints or use translations that vary significantly from scholarly consensus like the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Considering how people naively reinvent Arianism all the time, I would say that is the one that comes closest to the plain meaning of the Bible's actual text :v:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People also reinvent flat earth theory all the time. There's a reason God went out and got him a priest class

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

Considering how people naively reinvent Arianism all the time, I would say that is the one that comes closest to the plain meaning of the Bible's actual text :v:

Lotta seminary students were Arians while my wife was at school.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's super easy to fall into an Arian or Docetic christology because it's super easy for us to envision God as the powerful ruler of the universe sitting on his heavenly throne but way harder to imagine a being with that much power deciding to live a mortal life with all the attendant daily suffering (to say nothing of the suffering of death by crucifixion).

I once heard someone describe the Docetic view as Jesus basically having a bad weekend at human camp. Like, he came down, some poo poo bad poo poo happened, he went back up and wiped his brow and said well that sure was a trip. It's much harder to wrestle with the fact that he was and is still fully human because in our limited imaginations we have trouble wrapping our heads around willingly putting oneself through that, even though that really is the whole point.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Azathoth posted:

It's super easy to fall into an Arian or Docetic christology because it's super easy for us to envision God as the powerful ruler of the universe sitting on his heavenly throne but way harder to imagine a being with that much power deciding to live a mortal life with all the attendant daily suffering (to say nothing of the suffering of death by crucifixion).

I once heard someone describe the Docetic view as Jesus basically having a bad weekend at human camp. Like, he came down, some poo poo bad poo poo happened, he went back up and wiped his brow and said well that sure was a trip. It's much harder to wrestle with the fact that he was and is still fully human because in our limited imaginations we have trouble wrapping our heads around willingly putting oneself through that, even though that really is the whole point.
You know, when you put it like this, it actually illuminated one of the things I had wondered for a long time, which is 'so why, other than the general vibe in the last few decades of Religion hating Science due to the Devil's Doctrine of EVILUTION, would Christianity be shook so bad by discovering intelligent aliens?'

And I suppose that would be part of it: If God is both fully divine and fully human and there's now a third category of such beings, then what?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nessus posted:

You know, when you put it like this, it actually illuminated one of the things I had wondered for a long time, which is 'so why, other than the general vibe in the last few decades of Religion hating Science due to the Devil's Doctrine of EVILUTION, would Christianity be shook so bad by discovering intelligent aliens?'

And I suppose that would be part of it: If God is both fully divine and fully human and there's now a third category of such beings, then what?

Either they will have their own story of God incarnate in their own form which Christians can compare, or Christians can tell them of their own encounter.

I don't see why this would be a problem. Jesus said he had other sheep elsewhere.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nessus posted:

The infamous Hal Lindsey, author of The Late Great Planet Earth, has for a couple decades now gone hard into the belief that UFOs are actually demons. There's a theory that one of the reasons the Air Force is absolutely unwilling to investigate UFOs (anymore) is that this is also a sincerely held belief by a portion of the top brass, who are notoriously into that sort of fundamentalism.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is, the Catholic statements on the matter seem sensibly logical in extending biblical concepts to the issue even to me as a Protestant, but I guess when you believe in an actual factual Adam and Eve as the first two humans and sin being sexually transmitted down from them that intelligent beings outside that transmission chain can make you freak the gently caress out.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Azathoth posted:

The way I see it, one of the big problems is that Arianism is too linear; it's trying to work around the paradox of Trinitarian theology rather than work with it.

Deteriorata posted:

Either they will have their own story of God incarnate in their own form which Christians can compare, or Christians can tell them of their own encounter.

I don't see why this would be a problem. Jesus said he had other sheep elsewhere.
There was a Catholic author, R.A. Lafferty, who wrote a book called Past Master, about a future human society on a distant world that decides to go back in time and retrieve St. Thomas More to help them fix their culture. One of the main characters is an alien who looks sort of like a talking sea lion. When Thomas More meets him, he doesn't hesitate to consider him human on account of his capacity for reason.

There's also a fun part where Thomas's companions are fighting a squid monster, and he's having the time of his life because he's watching an allegory of good and evil act itself out right in front of him.

I also recommend his book Space Chantey, which is a retelling of the Odyssey as both a science fiction story and an American tall tale.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

I don't particularly see the problem either, but this is a case where the presence of strange strains of Christianity, swollen by being in America and having media access as well as political power, loom large over a much more sensible conceptual landscape.

Azathoth posted:

The infamous Hal Lindsey, author of The Late Great Planet Earth, has for a couple decades now gone hard into the belief that UFOs are actually demons. There's a theory that one of the reasons the Air Force is absolutely unwilling to investigate UFOs (anymore) is that this is also a sincerely held belief by a portion of the top brass, who are notoriously into that sort of fundamentalism.
If the UFOs were demons, why wouldn't they land and start 'ministering' to the people rather than buzzing around and freaking out rednecks?

Did Space Force get founded to get away from the fundamentalists? :catstare:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nessus posted:

I don't particularly see the problem either, but this is a case where the presence of strange strains of Christianity, swollen by being in America and having media access as well as political power, loom large over a much more sensible conceptual landscape.

If the UFOs were demons, why wouldn't they land and start 'ministering' to the people rather than buzzing around and freaking out rednecks?

lol yeah he's as right about UFOs as he is about anything else.

As for the Space Force, I have no idea but I don't exactly have high hopes that it wasn't seeded with the same kind of shitbags running the Air Force

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Space force is mostly career ICBM detection folks from what I understand.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Space force is mostly career ICBM detection folks from what I understand.
I know XCOM when I see it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

In Flaubert's Temptation of St.Anthony Lucy's final play for Tony's soul is, after having failed to unconvince him using lust and riches and Apollonian psuedojesus, is to give him a trip into the cosmos to show him all the dope space poo poo. He is awed at the size and scope of the cosmos, how grand it all is in comparison to the meager nature of earth, and in that awe Lucy asks him if it is still possible that all of this was created by One God, or should it not be that it is infinite, ever growing with a multitude of Gods all equal. And Tony almost accepts this, before his bedrock of faith saves him; you can see if one uses the theatre of the mind how one plucked from the surface, carried to the stellar, would become susceptible to the arguments of satan.

And if you pull your thinking back one can easily see how facile Satan's argument is, just as all Satanic arguments are,flash and panache; I have more money than you, can't you see I'm right? I have more sex than you, can't you see I'm right? I can create more elaborate metaphysics than you, can't you see I'm right? But when you actually judge the argument you quickly find that without the stage setting and sophistry the arguments is not just false, but incoherent.

If you're a very immoral person, and raise a person confined to a single room their whole life, convince them that only that room exists, and give them an entire moral code in said room. Principally we should say, Thou shall not kill. If we take them out of the room, they would probably be having a real rough time believing everything of their life has been false, this however doesn't actually have any bearing on whether or not Killing is Permitted morally. They might very well mistake this for being the case though because of their shocked state, and a general tendency failing of humans in their thinking process. That is, most people will conflate information with the presentation of the information to them, and then if they find the presentation lacking they'll assume the information false even if it is verifiably true. And secondly they'll editorialize others and even their own thoughts to insert false conditional statements linking disparate facts, and then verifying them or deny them based on objectively incoherent criteria. This one you can find very easily, people who assume that competency in one field is a sign of competency in every field, or conversely that a failing is demonstrative of total failure rather than a specific mistake; Aristotle nonheliocentricity does not show failure in his ethics for example, additionally this doesn't mean his ethics are true only that the two are separate.

Because people, modern's especially have been taught quote unquote critical thinking, but not deductive reasoning to effectively use said skills, they end up on shifting sands of false syllogisms constantly, without the ability to determine whether the conclusions they're drawing are actually based on premises solid, or the connections they're drawing connected in reality rather than phantasmally.

And all this to say, the reason the UFOian demons are chilling in the sky rather than coming down to give us Apollonius 2.0 is that the confusion is the point, like Mr. Kojima already predicted, the constant flood of false, conflicting, nonsense, sensical, and true but twisted information gives rise to cultures that are so numb they can't discern what is and is not relevant and then they start drawing bad conclusions from bad information. If you check out few pages back of this very forums SciFi literature thread there's a cat whom thinks that the existence of aliens would cause mass exodus from religion in the world, that aliens existence or non existence (they do exist, and I'll meet them before I die) has zero relevance on the truth of the bible seems not to register. Salinger doesn't write a single line about Texas in his Glass stories, should it be that we discard the Lone Star state from the universe of his stories? Of course not, he wrote of it not, because it was irrelevant to Franny having breakdowns and Seymour seeing the end. Likewise, why would the authors of the Bible be spilling ink on the Arcturians or Greys when their primary concern is with the peeps in this neighborhood.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Are you saying the UFOs are real/demons, or describing the reasoning process by which these guys are deciding that? I would say their heuristic is 'unexplained phenomena? if it's not some weird little wonder of God's Creation, then it's Satan's action' most likely. Gotta be one or the other!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Nessus posted:

Are you saying the UFOs are real/demons, or describing the reasoning process by which these guys are deciding that? I would say their heuristic is 'unexplained phenomena? if it's not some weird little wonder of God's Creation, then it's Satan's action' most likely. Gotta be one or the other!

Once again Christianity and Dualism keep getting together even though that isn't supposed to happen.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

Most UFO phenomena are just mistaken natural phenomena, if there's aliens going on tour they're likely innocent of all crimes except ignorance of the effect they have on society. Whether or not it's aliens, weather balloons, lightning, or demons is irrelevant, the effect it has is what matters.

Josef bugman posted:

Once again Christianity and Dualism keep getting together even though that isn't supposed to happen.
There's nothing dualistic about it Bugman.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

I more mean the idea that if it isn't God then it's Satan's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think probably when such individuals assert that an alien spaceship landing in front of the UN would destroy religion they are likely thinking that all religion is like American fundamentalist Christianity.

Wicca has not been around long enough for us to have theologians - that is a luxury for larger and more established religions - but I feel it is absurd and foolish to believe that the Gods would have created the Universe in all its infinite glory but made humans as the only sentient and sapient form of life. They reveal themselves to us here in one way, and to those guys on the far side of Andromeda in a different way, I would imagine.

Hell, some of those guys on the far side of Andromeda are probably having this exact same discussion right now.