Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
+1 to the e82 suggestion, the backseat is completely fine for occasional use for adults, and mine is my dedicated baby hauler. Neither my wife nor I have any issues getting our 2 year old in and out of the backseat. If it was written off tomorrow I would seriously consider replacing it with another e82, and I have pretty severe car ADD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I’m with Ether Frenzy. The E90 M3 is the one to get.

If I was wanting a fun sized N52 powered car I would absolutely be hunting down an E82 (128i) with a manual. Assuming your partners kid isn’t huge the back seat is functional. Bonus is if you can find one with the M Sport package.

Hey I just bought a manual 128i with (non m) sport package!

I also own an E91 manual sport package N52!

Excellent cars, do recommend

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

One of the xenon bulbs burned out on my E46. Is there a reason to buy the $80 OEM bulbs over the $40 Philips D2Ss?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I put Philips bulbs in mine, no problem at all. I think they are the OEM brand even? Been a while I don’t recall offhand.

Recommend replacing them both since if one went the other probably isn’t too far behind and you want the color temp to be even between them.

Hope it’s just the bulbs and not the ballast, too. Though they aren’t terribly expensive either. But I had a ballast go out which then blew out the bulb, as in literally exploded it. That sucked to clean out.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Has anyone done Performance Delivery in Spartanburg? I had always wanted to do European Delivery, but that got killed in 2020 like everything else. It seems like a cool day in SC, but looking for a few more details to see if my wife would actually enjoy it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finally got the windshield replaced on the M3 and it's just wrong. It's a HUD windshield but there's a double image kind of thing going on and a weird distortion. Gonna have to have the shop look at it again. It makes my head hurt.

e: also an insanely bad reflection from the dash. I can see the entirety of the HUD box and everything.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 20, 2023

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

TheFonz posted:

Has anyone done Performance Delivery in Spartanburg? I had always wanted to do European Delivery, but that got killed in 2020 like everything else. It seems like a cool day in SC, but looking for a few more details to see if my wife would actually enjoy it.

I did 20 years ago. It was a good time and I'd definitely do it again now that ED is off the table.

Is your wife into cars? Back then you could pay a very nominal fee and get a 2nd person in the driving exercises. (Better check current procedure)

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

fknlo posted:

Finally got the windshield replaced on the M3 and it's just wrong. It's a HUD windshield but there's a double image kind of thing going on and a weird distortion. Gonna have to have the shop look at it again. It makes my head hurt.

e: also an insanely bad reflection from the dash. I can see the entirety of the HUD box and everything.

Sounds like you were supposed to get HUD glass, but didn't

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SlapActionJackson posted:

Sounds like you were supposed to get HUD glass, but didn't

It's labeled as HUD glass. It's just wrong though.

The reflection is so bad

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

fknlo posted:

It's labeled as HUD glass.

On the windshield itself or just the invoice?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
On the windshield itself

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

fknlo posted:

It's labeled as HUD glass. It's just wrong though.

The reflection is so bad

Counterfeit HUD glass! Neat.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I had a bit of fun recently ordering strut mounts for Mrs Jackson's 335. They kept shipping boxes with the right p/n and wrong part inside. 4th time was the charm. Warehouse manager said they had so many mislabeled it had to be a factory fuckup.
I wonder if something like that happened.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think you need the OEM HUD glass with the BMW/Pilkington etc logo from the dealer.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Keyser_Soze posted:

I think you need the OEM HUD glass with the BMW/Pilkington etc logo from the dealer.

I requested pilkington with the last replacement and it cracked the first time a rock got near it so I figured I’d gamble on something else. I lost.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just remember a few years ago when I had my windshield replaced on a 2016 535, the shop said they had "cheap glass" $500 and "HUD glass" $700 - but it probably would probably make the HUD display look like poo poo - and if that mattered, there was BMW OEM HUD glass $1,000 that they would pick up from the BMW dealer.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Hey I just bought a manual 128i with (non m) sport package!

I also own an E91 manual sport package N52!

Excellent cars, do recommend

I’m looking at an E90 330i with sport package long distance, can’t find one to test drive locally. Do you know how fast they are? 0-60 numbers seem to range from mid 5s to mid 6s across reviews from that era.

I’m looking for one to replace my 996 as my fun car but don’t know if it will feel that much different from my E46 325 xit, which is a good commuter but could use a little more fizz.

blk fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 21, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That sounds right. E90's aren't light, so even if they're on the 230-300hp range they're merely Quick Enough, but I wouldn't call them Quick.

Not sure how much power the 330's make off the top of my head, I would guess 260. I think it's the 335's that are closer 300 HP

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Sab669 posted:

That sounds right. E90's aren't light, so even if they're on the 230-300hp range they're merely Quick Enough, but I wouldn't call them Quick.

Not sure how much power the 330's make off the top of my head, I would guess 260. I think it's the 335's that are closer 300 HP

Correct. Also, with a 335 if ~300 isn't enough, you just add boost. Getting more out of an N52 that already has the three stage intake is... challenging.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014
Anyone running a Carplay MMI Prime retrofit that Bimmertech and some knockoff companies make? I bought a 2016 F80 incorrectly assuming it was Apple Carplay compatible (I guess Carplay started in MY2017 cars which were sold in 2016?), and thought there was some kind of software you could flash to the native hardware, not some dumb box that costs like 800 loving dollars. I'm willing to spend for the functionality if it works. I really didn't want to start "modding" the car until I've owned it for at least six months, but here we are.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You should be able to code CarPlay in, but I don’t think it’s great due to hardware limitations on the 2016. I have a 2015 F80 so I don’t have that option at all. The Andream mmi box seems to be well liked among the f30 crowd. I don’t have it but it’s what I’d get if I was going to do that. Do not buy the bimmertech one. They’re all pretty much the same thing.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

blk posted:

I’m looking at an E90 330i with sport package long distance, can’t find one to test drive locally. Do you know how fast they are? 0-60 numbers seem to range from mid 5s to mid 6s across reviews from that era.

I’m looking for one to replace my 996 as my fun car but don’t know if it will feel that much different from my E46 325 xit, which is a good commuter but could use a little more fizz.

That is going to be way more similar to your E46 than your 996. N52 is peppy, but not fast. I have fun in the canyons but it is far from a sports car. M54 is is basically the same engine as the N52, N52 in 330i variant gets definitely a bit more pep but it is still far from fast with the amount of weight. Even in the smaller E82 it is not a fast car, definitely not slow, but not fast. I think it’s an engaging platform but I think more of just slight improvements over your E46.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I received my bluebus and got it hooked up and now I have modern bluetooth functionality in my 2001 car, it’s been great to ditch the fm adapter

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

MortLansky posted:

Anyone running a Carplay MMI Prime retrofit that Bimmertech and some knockoff companies make? I bought a 2016 F80 incorrectly assuming it was Apple Carplay compatible (I guess Carplay started in MY2017 cars which were sold in 2016?), and thought there was some kind of software you could flash to the native hardware, not some dumb box that costs like 800 loving dollars. I'm willing to spend for the functionality if it works. I really didn't want to start "modding" the car until I've owned it for at least six months, but here we are.

I put the Bimmertech MMI in my 2016 535 over a year ago. No problems with it at all, never failed to connect or function or anything. The bluetooth worked but I always just plugged in since I was charging anyway. It is definitely useful for road trips/nav once the built in NAV stopped getting live traffic etc. DIY install is not too bad, just take your time and watch the videos.

the milk machine posted:

I received my bluebus and got it hooked up and now I have modern bluetooth functionality in my 2001 car, it’s been great to ditch the fm adapte

That is an awesome option for those cars and the M539 guy just installed one a few weeks ago as well.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

TheBacon posted:

That is going to be way more similar to your E46 than your 996. N52 is peppy, but not fast. I have fun in the canyons but it is far from a sports car. M54 is is basically the same engine as the N52, N52 in 330i variant gets definitely a bit more pep but it is still far from fast with the amount of weight. Even in the smaller E82 it is not a fast car, definitely not slow, but not fast. I think it’s an engaging platform but I think more of just slight improvements over your E46.

Well taken advice; thanks to you and everyone in the thread. I’ll probably drive the E46 to the grave and save up for something more playful.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Have a car I’ve got to sell

1997 M3 sedan, 5 speed manual, Cosmos Black Metallic, no damage, always garaged. Exterior pretty much perfect, same with the interior. Bought it new in 1997

Needs new brake pads and the suspension is tired. Electrical needs work cause electronic gauges are half lit. AC needs attention

The thing that moves the drivers window up and down seized and sheared itself off the mounting attachment point on the door

But engine is good and it’s completely stock except for tires

75000 miles

Anyway. Want it to go to a good home. No idea where to begin because it’s worth a lot I think and can’t figure out a real trustworthy evaluation source

:smith:

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 22, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My fellow Goon, put that up on Bring A Trailer and rake in the dough.

Edit: for reference here you can see current and past e36 M3 sales on BaT to get an idea what your car might sell for.

https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e36-m3/?q=bmw+e36+m3

Popete fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 21, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You’re not gonna do poo poo on BaT if you want to sell as-is. Fix the electrical problems at minimum before you sell. Suspension and brakes probably less important as your future owner might want to do something there on their own.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

blk posted:

Well taken advice; thanks to you and everyone in the thread. I’ll probably drive the E46 to the grave and save up for something more playful.

An E90 M3 will do the 60 in ~4.5 in the DCT/4.7 in the manual which between them probably averages what the 996 does it in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
That F31 will get into town on Saturday. Gonna go look at it but I'm having doubts. The service history looked great until the last couple years.

I called BMW of Dallas to see if the oil had been changed and just not noted during that 98000 mile service and I just confused whoever I was talking to and they said they couldn't find a record of the car. I think she thought it was a car that they were selling? I need to try again because literally every service on the car that shows was done at a dealer and 19k between changes is a tad too much. Especially since a lot of people think the oil change interval plays into timing chain issues with these. They do seem to give you plenty of warning before they go but it's an engine out service.

The probably lack of heated seats and the lovely infotainment play a part even though I can deal with that stuff with the aftermarket. This car was produced at a point where you can't even code in the larger factory screen so if you want an upgrade you have to go with one of the android units that has its own set of problems and hassles. If the car was involved with any of the number of recalls for these they've all been taken care of at least. The price is going to be good but there are a number of sedans with 20k+ less miles that are $1500-2000 cheaper within fly and drive distance.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

MortLansky posted:

I have a 2017 that I coded it onto. I think this is the one I did. It was fairly simple, I may have even posted some pics in here. Works well and I love that it’s wireless. I just leave my phone in my pocket.

https://bimmer-remote.com/products/bmw-carplay-fullscreen-activation

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Popete posted:

My fellow Goon, put that up on Bring A Trailer and rake in the dough.

Edit: for reference here you can see current and past e36 M3 sales on BaT to get an idea what your car might sell for.

https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e36-m3/?q=bmw+e36+m3

I have both an Estoril Blue Metallic and a Dakar Yellow Metallic e36 M3, myself (in 1:18 scale). Such a sweet car.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
For a ~2 years I owned both an e36 M3 and e46 M3 (which I still have) and it truly did own.

Edit: Pic of the e36 from 2014, such a fun a car

Popete fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 22, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the e36 got a lot of poo poo but the body style has aged sooooooooooo nicely

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Cat Hassler posted:

1997 M3 sedan, 5 speed manual, Cosmos Black Metallic, no damage, always garaged. Exterior pretty much perfect, same with the interior. Bought it new in 1997

Needs new brake pads and the suspension is tired. Electrical needs work cause electronic gauges are half lit. AC needs attention

The thing that moves the drivers window up and down seized and sheared itself off the mounting attachment point on the door

75000 miles

Anyway. Want it to go to a good home. No idea where to begin because it’s worth a lot I think and can’t figure out a real trustworthy evaluation source

A one owner M3/4/5 (M3/four door/five speed) with under 100K miles will amass a lot more money than you think in the general marketplace. Bring a Trailer catnip for sure. Someone will look at it and accept the maintenance debt that will be required and will still pay you a lot of money. E36 nonsense is really well documented and known variables.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cat Hassler posted:

75000 miles

Such a great combo, it would be worth having the issues taken care of if you wanted to list it on bring a trailer. Otherwise where are you and the car located?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Bringatrailer has that name for a reason...

Are you going to get top dollar for something that needs a bit of work? No. I'd still just list it.

Wish I had the money or room for it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
bringatrailer has evolved so far from its original form that the name is functionally a farce. its now full of porsche autists bitching about originality.

edit: you would for instance more than make up the $ spent on fixing the electricals for sure. driver window worth doing as well. anything that's associated with potential deeper problems is gonna get hit pretty hard on there. suspension, brakes, AC probably less of a concern (though if AC is just charge or if a charge will get it short term functional then do it).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do a photoshoot in a barn, declare it a barn find. +$5000

Go dig up your old autocross results, sell them as part of original documentation/race pedigree +$2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bringatrailer has evolved so far from its original form that the name is functionally a farce. its now full of porsche autists bitching about originality.

Yeah, BAT is no longer the place to buy race car shells and clapped out project cars.
It is where you go to pay way too much for 1 of 1, 250 original mile rare cars in pristine condition and cars with "pedigree". It's Barrett Jackson for non boomers.

still super fun to look through