Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Wasabi the J posted:

That's grim.

Good luck you crazy goobers.

Listen to the LLBD Thresher episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Flikken posted:

Listen to the LLBD Thresher episode

Better yet read the death of the thresher. Great book.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkkkkkk

quote:

At the meeting Lochridge discovered why he had been denied access to the viewport information from the Engineering department—the viewport at the forward of the submersible was only built to a certified pressure of 1,300 meters, although OceanGate intended to take passengers down to depths of 4,000 meters. Lochridge learned that the viewport manufacturer would only certify to a depth of 1,300 meters due to experimental design of the viewport supplied by OceanGate, which was out of the Pressure Vessels for Human Occupancy (“PVHO”) standards. OceanGate refused to pay for the manufacturer to build a viewport that would meet the required depth of 4,000 meters.

From this link

https://newrepublic.com/post/173802/missing-titanic-sub-faced-lawsuit-depths-safely-travel-oceangate

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Wonder how much money they saved on the oxygen system.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

welp

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
As "grimlarious" as imaging implosive failure is for the billionaires and CEOs, I think it's even more satisfying that those loving ghouls are trapped alive, slowly using their crusty brains to realize that nothing will help them because they've already cut every corner. Just crying next to a full "toilet" and haphazardly banging their Xbox controllers against the walls because they installed nothing helpful. I will be genuinely sad if they get heroically rescued by the government I pay taxes to.

E: Uh like in Minecraft? I don't know where the line is even when we're all gleefully rubbing our hands together

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The big budget Hollywood drama about the rescue will do numbers.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You know, depending on just how strong that deep-sea implosion is, it may actually be easier for the rich man to fit through the eye of a needle.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

You know, depending on just how strong that deep-sea implosion is, it may actually be easier for the rich man to fit through the eye of a needle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

:thurman:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think it'd be more like squirt💦 through the eye of the needle 🪡, but w/e.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Im assuming if they're on the bottom and there's banging, then they're snared in something and their ballast drop didn't work. There's no deep submergence vehicles that are close enough to be able to render aid, if possible (and I don't think there are any which could render aid in existence anyways). RIP to the poor gently caress who was a tour guide getting paid absolute dick to talk about the Titanic to a bunch of rich bastards, but, dude you should have run screaming like a sane person when you saw the bullshit setup that the sub was made out of.

E: I thought about it, I bet they misjudged their descent and actually landed and made contact with Titanic and got stuck in some debris from the wreck, if they're still alive.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 21, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Three months ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/11llcj0/comment/jbdftlg posted:

I worked for Oceangate for six months, and it was by far the worst work experience I ever had. I'm amazed they havent gone bankrupt or lose a sub.

Today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/14ejzq9/comment/jowgcah posted:

I worked for oceangate when they found the damage to the hull. It wasnt cyclic failure, it was a giant delamination or dry pocket from manufacturing in the carbon fiber. Nearly 6ft long and 5ft wide and nearly a quarter inch thick. It was absolutely massive. I should know, I helped cut the dead material out. Quit right after that happened because rather than test or scan the sub, they arbitrarily said ok it can only go this far down now.

:stonklol:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cythereal posted:

Injuries incompatible with life.

The OSHA thread even found that there's a commercial submersible sold specifically for visiting the Titanic, it's the model used in almost all the documentaries and certified by all the relevant authorities. Supposedly it makes the trip in less than two hours.

oh my goooood lmfao

stealie72 posted:

Very briefly incinerate them as they are being liquified. :science:

Metal as poo poo. How's this work, just a ton of energy hitting them at once?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Discussion Quorum posted:

Three months ago:

Today:

Wait, so they had a massive delamination, and didn't just scrap the hull and start over? You can't repair CF delamination. What the christ lol this guy is absolutely idiotic. This is the same hull that he went "oh yeah we're knocking 1000ft off its test depth" and then adds the 1000ft back right before announcing they're going down to the Titanic again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

oh my goooood lmfao

Metal as poo poo. How's this work, just a ton of energy hitting them at once?

Inrushing water super compresses the air which gets insanely hot for the twenty microseconds it takes to squeeze down to a millionth of a cubic inch.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Three months ago:

Today:

Yo this is a huge loving fail for any carbon fiber that's doing anything more strenuous than decorating your riced out Nissan.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Three months ago:

Today:

Yeah, that fits.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Same poster:

quote:

They never even setup the software properly to use the hull health monitoring system. It's a bunch of transducers glued into the hull. I worked at oceangate for six months before I left figuring they were going to get someone killed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
5 pinocchios. They were going to get multiple people killed

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Three months ago:

Today:

Good God.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Travis Barker’s Blink-182 provides comfort to stepson of lost Titan submersible passenger

https://twitter.com/justinboldaji/status/1671347131624611840?s=20

I'm loving wheezing right now

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Three months ago:

Today:

Heh,

Elviscat posted:

I think that's a good bet.

I'll go with the CF hull didn't get thoroughly inspected between dives, delaminated and the whole thing popped like a beer can.

General rule of thumb is if a submersible stops communicating, and doesn't immediately surface, everyone is dead, or will soon be dead.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the banging noises heard over SONAR, passive SONAR is not an exact science, and sound propagation through water can do weird stuff like make you pick up the noise from an offshore drilling platform many miles away.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Heh,

I wouldn't put too much stock in the banging noises heard over SONAR, passive SONAR is not an exact science, and sound propagation through water can do weird stuff like make you pick up the noise from an offshore drilling platform many miles away.

Yeah, sound does weird things underwater, especially sharp transients like banging. It could be whale farts or Pavarotti from 1000 miles away, or a magma displacement.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

According to the company, the Titan weighs some 23,000lbs (10,432 kg) and has an aerospace-standard five-inch (13cm) thick carbon fibre hull reinforced with two domed titanium end caps.

By “ærospace‐standard”, I suppose that they mean that it is rated to between zero and one atmospheres.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Heh,

Well you're technically wrong because it wasn't a failure of inspection, but hooooooooly gently caress this whole thing is just nuts on so many levels

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4RLOo6bchU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Well you're technically wrong because it wasn't a failure of inspection, but hooooooooly gently caress this whole thing is just nuts on so many levels

I mean, doing literally zero NDT inspections on your safety-critical pressure vessel with novel construction is what I'd call an inspection failure, but I'll cede the point.

It blows my mind that the CEO of that company actually had the balls to get on the drat thing himself. I wonder if he considered himself to be an engineering super genius entrepreneur a la what some stupid people think 'ol Musky is.

Either way, one of the most tremendous displays of hubris I've ever seen.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I mean, doing literally zero NDT inspections on your safety-critical pressure vessel with novel construction is what I'd call an inspection failure, but I'll cede the point.

It blows my mind that the CEO of that company actually had the balls to get on the drat thing himself. I wonder if he considered himself to be an engineering super genius entrepreneur a la what some stupid people think 'ol Musky is.

It's pretty astonishing, nitpicking aside.
Every new detail that comes out just leaves me in horrified awe.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

The Eyes Have It posted:

It's pretty catdrugs that people died on board a famous and fallible testament to man's hubris... then more people (probably) died visiting the exact same spot while also riding another testament to man's hubris in which they had far too much faith, all for the purpose of catching a glimpse of the previous monument to man's hubris that claimed lives... :psyduck:

Yea it rules, they even named the sub "Titan", because what could possibly go wrong?

e]
“It might be distasteful being here but my family would want me to be at the Blink-182 show"

Holy poo poo lol

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 21, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yea it rules, they even named the sub "Titan", because what could possibly go wrong?

If I had a nickel…

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

At least they didn't go the franklin expedition route. The ships were named WHAT

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

I can't find which article it was in now, but I swear I read a bit earlier that mentioned the French expert guy on board was specifically worried about the viewport but decided to go anyway.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Elviscat posted:

These problems sometimes fix themselves.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm wondering if you could fit that entire submersible in a 1 foot by 1 foot cube under 6000 PSI/400 bar.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

orange juche posted:

I'm wondering if you could fit that entire submersible in a 1 foot by 1 foot cube under 6000 PSI/400 bar.

Sounds like a job for hydraulic press channel

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I did not know this thing about when water comes slamming into your pressure vessel it travels at supersonic speeds and makes the whole thing like a nuclear diesel cylinder causing all the air to superheat from pressure. So if/when this happens the pressure differential presumably knocks them unconscious while they instantaneously burst into flames and then get hit with a wall of water traveling fast enough to atomize them? And I hear you all say helicopters are bad..

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Helicopters are also bad at a depth of 4000 meters yes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The good news is you're dead way before you make it there in a helicopter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
On the opposite side of the spectrum,

https://twitter.com/wdsu/status/1671021823742410754

That’s something like twenty‐five seconds to think about what you’ve done.