Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hey hey hey hey hey, hands are fuckkin hard. gently caress hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’ve seen that gesture in anime for a while. When DC outsourced both storyboards and animation for their series to Japan in the 90s that gesture started showing up.

People do scratch at their face and neck when nervous but putting the hand behind the head is a bit exaggerated.

I’m trying to find the origin. It may have originated in dragon ball or earlier as a gag pose in Toriyamas first hit manga Dr Slump

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 20, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Solar Opposites is back August 14th and Dan Stevens is the new voice of Korvo

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I love Dan Stevens.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ccs posted:

I’ve seen that gesture in anime for a while. When DC outsourced both storyboards and animation for their series to Japan in the 90s that gesture started showing up.

People do scratch at their face and neck when nervous but putting the hand behind the head is a bit exaggerated.

I’m trying to find the origin. It may have originated in dragon ball or earlier as a gag pose in Toriyamas first hit manga Dr Slump

Roman Roy is anime.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Manga is similar. Berserk’s Kentaro Miura was apparently doing 16 hour days. That’s also common in western comics too though and the creators of western comics don’t even get royalties because they don’t own the IP and their work reaches far fewer people than manga.

Naruto's creator had to put off his honeymoon for like 13 years. Manga is hell. (It did lead to my favorite Adult Swim gag ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi1HX5OE4kk

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
IIRC, Echiiro Oda - the One Piece guy - posted a graphic of his daily schedule at some point and it looked like some hellish machine program where he basically had 1 hour total set aside to do anything other than working or sleeping.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

muscles like this! posted:

Justin Roiland's grand plan of "You gotta make sure you're the main character's voice, then they can never replace you" is undercut by his lazy writer ethos of "Just make the lead character a super genius sci-fi wizard, so then they can just make whatever storyline or gag we want to do possible."

(But Middleditch gets to hang around, huh? All gas, no brakes.)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

IIRC, Echiiro Oda - the One Piece guy - posted a graphic of his daily schedule at some point and it looked like some hellish machine program where he basically had 1 hour total set aside to do anything other than working or sleeping.

I remember seeing a picture of his workspace years ago and it was a mess, but all I really remember are all the cigarette butts littered around

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

To give you an idea of what dumbass 14 year old me was like i was convinced that I was going go to japan and be a successful manga artist. Finding out how much that would cost absolved me of the delusion right quick. I didn't even know about the rest of the dirty details including uh--racism against foreigners.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Flopsy posted:

To give you an idea of what dumbass 14 year old me was like i was convinced that I was going go to japan and be a successful manga artist. Finding out how much that would cost absolved me of the delusion right quick. I didn't even know about the rest of the dirty details including uh--racism against foreigners.

And most manga artists do a tour under an established cartoonist which even with the work split is still really demanding so by the time they finally manage to pitch a series to Shonen Jump or whomever - which itself is precarious as they will drop a series if they don't feel it's doing well, often without even bothering to give it time to find an audience - you're already slightly broken and hoping against hope YOUR specific brand of hot-blooded youth who learns to fight with specific attribute while discovering the power of friendship strikes enough of a chord so you can have assistants and repeat the process all over again.

There was a Comics Broke Me hashtag on how crappy it was for a lot of western comic creators but it's equally bad for eastern creators, which some manga proponents don't seem to know and/or care about.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

muscles like this! posted:

thats great. I kinda hope they just do different voices for rick and morty every episode. just weird poo poo.

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1671342823323623424

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1671397649994616832

final of season 1 of helluva boss is finally getting released.

https://twitter.com/HELLAVERSE/status/1671203570811830273

also better plushies.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is that the one that got delayed or whatever at the last minute?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Warbird posted:

Is that the one that got delayed or whatever at the last minute?

yeah. apperently it was a copyright issue with a song or cover or something, my guess is it got sorted.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Guessing Blitzo's sister gets big musical number.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

JethroMcB posted:

(But Middleditch gets to hang around, huh? All gas, no brakes.)

Yeah, that’s a weird one.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8bQeWNe0g0

aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Guess this means I should start watching Metalocalypse

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MJeff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8bQeWNe0g0

aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

No, no, no. You're screaming from the top of your lungs. You've got to scream from the bowels of your lungs man, the bowels!

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 21, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mutantIke posted:

Whole show is up for free on Adult Swim, although I think it's missing a couple episodes from season 1.

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/metalocalypse

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

mutantIke posted:

I rewatch it every few years and I think it still holds up.

The music is so good in that show, as it should be.

It also had this, my favorite joke in the whole series, years before Trump suggested it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqbn7oxXh38

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

I rewatch it every few years and I think it still holds up.

The music is so good in that show, as it should be.

It also had this, my favorite joke in the whole series, years before Trump suggested it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqbn7oxXh38

Go into the water is genuinely amazing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm pretty sure the song of salvation is Takin' It Easy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
There are so many little things from Metalocalypse that pop in my mind apropos of nothing on a constant basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWSIlmeHlzw

And from the episode where Toki takes guitar lessons, the super-peppy entertainment reporter's delivery of the line "In a press release written by Nathan, Pickles, and William Murderface, it was stated that Skwisgaar Skwigelf is 'a Swedish dildo-licker,' and that Toki has grown into a true guitar master! And that he is a lady...on his period."

That said, I don't think I ever saw the Doomstar Requiem...or if I did, it slid off of my brain. I don't remember a lick of where the show's lore had gone. Might be in for a rewatch myself.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It has a marathon stream that includes the previous movie
https://www.adultswim.com/streams/metalocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD0qyXMjb1s

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

JethroMcB posted:

There are so many little things from Metalocalypse that pop in my mind apropos of nothing on a constant basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWSIlmeHlzw

Me too. The line "A fish with tits........ titty fish" loving slays me everytime.

Scrambles The Deathdealer is another one whenever I hear about hurricanes. "They stole the beep?!?!?!"

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Doomstar Requiem was pretty good

But the sound mixing was absolutely abysmal and you couldn't really hear the dialogue, which is pretty fuckin critical in a rock opera

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sockser posted:

Doomstar Requiem was pretty good

But the sound mixing was absolutely abysmal and you couldn't really hear the dialogue, which is pretty fuckin critical in a rock opera

I've only watched it on 2.1 speakers and didn't have a problem, is it the surround mix that's off? And I normally have problems hearing people in shows (the whispering poo poo stop it use a stage whisper.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FireWorksWell posted:

I remember seeing a picture of his workspace years ago and it was a mess, but all I really remember are all the cigarette butts littered around

This is why we can never have anime smell-o-vision because it would just be a reeking cacophony of cheap Japanese cigarettes and combini box sake.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

pixaal posted:

I've only watched it on 2.1 speakers and didn't have a problem, is it the surround mix that's off? And I normally have problems hearing people in shows (the whispering poo poo stop it use a stage whisper.)

I watched it right when it aired, there's good odds they redid the mix after that

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

poo poo, I'm so happy for them! That whole thing was a loving bummer so I'm glad they can finally close the book on this whole thing

I also hate how much she has to tell fans to temper their expectations :)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I thought the latest couple episodes of the Clone High reboot were pretty solid. Almost as funny as the original.

Also the full theme song to the original show is very good. Actually injects some pathos in between being funny and self deprecating about the show.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Having finished the season, I can confirm: their angst is entertaining! Those last few episodes are really operating at full speed

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Maybe I'll finally finish that first episode, I got bored with them apologizing for using what was slang and is now slurs constantly. I know it gets better it just was ughhh stop it and tell jokes.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah solid drat ending to the season. I feel like the back half has been really strong and it gives me good vibes for season three.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed it. The first episode was the weakest and it got leaked before it was finished and got major backlash. I did make a thread for the reboot only after realizing the season was 10 episodes and not 13. I guess it'll be useful next year.

Btw, how is the new Beavis and Butthead? I haven't checked it out yet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Waffleopolis posted:

I'm enjoying it, it's a decent mix of let's riff music videos and random youtube / tiktok.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

poo poo, I'm so happy for them! That whole thing was a loving bummer so I'm glad they can finally close the book on this whole thing

I also hate how much she has to tell fans to temper their expectations :)

its coming this saturday

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I have enjoyed the revival quite a bit! I really hope Gandhi comes back for season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Waffleopolis posted:

It's unbelievably good