Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

.random
May 7, 2007

Anora posted:

You all are making fun of these sub guys are so sick, cannot believe you would callously disregard life like this, all for a 1 in a million accidenct.

You fools! Make it sound like a fluke and we could convince Elon to get on one of his lovely rockets to prove how safe they are

I’d say it’s closer to a 2 in a billion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
THIS is Elon Musk
https://youtu.be/B2ElZK0u85Y

like this post if you feel motivated and inspired every time

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Strategic Tea posted:

Interesting, 47. It seems like this particular car was programmed incorrectly as a joke. It has quite a resemblance to Mr Musk's own motor, wouldn't you say?

I can assure you this is the sturdiest submarine I have ever worked on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What makes the controller funny is the reason for the nipple sticks is because it's ripping off an RC aircraft control method. Imagine them sitting with those sticks pinched between thumb and forefinger from the sides, desperately trying to get the deep-sea coffin to move.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahaha holy poo poo even if they surface in the ocean somewhere there's 17 heavy-duty bolt locks that can only be opened from the outside, keeping the door in place. they couldn't get air even if they were floating

Oceangate, a subsidiary of Jigsaw Inc

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

alf_pogs posted:

hahaha holy poo poo even if they surface in the ocean somewhere there's 17 heavy-duty bolt locks that can only be opened from the outside, keeping the door in place. they couldn't get air even if they were floating

there's a secret release you can pull from inside the toilet

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

R.L. Stine posted:

there's a secret release you can pull from inside the toilet

The toilet waste container also doubles as an emergency oxygen supply if you get your face in there

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

All of this could have been avoided if we just built a tunnel to the titanic

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

alf_pogs posted:

Air, air everywhere...

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Tiny Timbs posted:

There's no mystery afaict. In the video I saw, the owner of this sub was bragging that they'd been able to image the manufacturing stamp on the ship's anchor. If that's a major discovery then these guys are just fighting over crumbs.

These dipshits has nothing at all to do with that project. The company responsible for the imaging were some of the first people called in to help search because they have the equipment and knowledge to use it and are familiar with the site.

https://www.magellan.gg/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/titanic-3d-scan-images-180982219/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Safety is of utmost importance to us and our passengers. To open the quick-release safety hatch once at the surface, you have merely to solve these 17 mechanical puzzles, each more fiendish than the last

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Safety is of utmost importance to us and our passengers. To open the quick-release safety hatch once at the surface, you have merely to solve these 17 mechanical puzzles, each more fiendish than the last

So it’s a puzzle out of Myst.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Data Graham posted:

To exit yourself from my submarine,
Solve, you must, my puzzles seventeen.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Haven’t heard from Elon as much since new CEO started, clone-Elon theory seeming more and more plausible

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1671342280009998337?s=46&t=rSc-CAl4ZevcACnaJdfMFg

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

“Who can say what is true, there are many conflicting reports.

But some say the brave submariners made it down only halfway before losing contact, which is… *checks notes* …ONLY about five thousand feet.

Wait… I’m getting something in my earpiece from my producers here.

They are saying if there was, what they call a “compromise of the hull structure,” that it would result in…

*pause*

*silence*

“… that it would result in, do you remember the scene in Jaws when Quint crushes a beer can in his fist?”

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

settle down, stockton

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Why dont they just raise the titanic

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
if the sub comes back and everything is ok will Tom hanks play the expert guy

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Elon: I've built a device to drain the ocean!

*starts bucketing seawater onto the beach*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Decrepus posted:

Why dont they just raise the titanic

Too old at this point, its structural integrity is rotted away from the salt in the ocean. Eventually there wont be a titanic to look at anymore.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can relate

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

they're going to recover the submersible intact in a day and everybody inside will be dead except for the billionaire

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

it will be our 9/11

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

so, at those pressures is there any tests etc. with ballistic gel, like are we talking your whole body gets smashed into a thimble sized ball with the remainder just a red cloud? I was thinking even a scrap of skin at those pressures would just, i dunno, dissolve?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

a quick google shows that you'd just be dead

it isn't so great that your bones would be crushed into dust, they've found people's shoes down there.

you just wouldn't be alive

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You'd still rupture though wouldn't you? You can only squeeze a water balloon so much until it bursts.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1668829554448777216

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Renreeja posted:

so, at those pressures is there any tests etc. with ballistic gel, like are we talking your whole body gets smashed into a thimble sized ball with the remainder just a red cloud? I was thinking even a scrap of skin at those pressures would just, i dunno, dissolve?

Based on math someone did in the main thread:

You'd get turned into a fine red mist almost instantly, to fast for your nervous system to tell your brain that you're hosed. The rapid pressurisation would heat the remaining air to about 20,000 C, which would cause the fine red mist to ignite kind of like how the piston in a diesel engine works. The force of the ignition would still pale in comparison to the 160 atmospheres of pressure and everything that was inside the sub would get squished into a small area.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Too old at this point, its structural integrity is rotted away from the salt in the ocean. Eventually there wont be a titanic to look at anymore.

Yeah, I think at this point basically any heavy disturbance to the hull would turn a good chunk of the ship into brown dust. That's why submersibles and ROVs aren't allowed to even make contact with the deck anymore, it'll collapse underneath them now. Trying to raise the bow section would dissolve it completely by the time it got anywhere near the surface. And the stern is in a billion pieces with multiple decks just ripped off and strewn about like a banana peel from the air bubble implosion as it sank. So trying to get the stern to the surface would also be a catastrophe.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You'd still rupture though wouldn't you? You can only squeeze a water balloon so much until it bursts.

Even more, you're going to get cooked by the heat of the sudden pressure change like being in an internal combustion engine

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Further Reading posted:

You'd get turned into a fine red mist almost instantly, to fast for your nervous system to tell your brain that you're hosed. The rapid pressurisation would heat the remaining air to about 20,000 C, which would cause the fine red mist to ignite kind of like how the piston in a diesel engine works. The force of the ignition would still pale in comparison to the 160 atmospheres of pressure and everything that was inside the sub would get squished into a small area.

God I wish that was me

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Further Reading posted:

“You have 40 hours to rescue your sub.”
“Your sub has been crushed into a cube.”
“You have plenty of time to rescue your cube.”

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the virgin tech billionaire

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1551389048572301312

vs. the chad failson submarine inheritor

https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1671338603803475968

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

BBC is reporting that sonar is/was picking up banging noises in 30 minute intervals. Further reporting suggests other noises have been heard.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world...post_type=share

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
its an orca trap!! DO NOT GO

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/justinboldaji/status/1671347131624611840

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Further Reading posted:

My favourite phrasing of this kind of thing is "you immediately stop being biology and start being physics".

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

tobacco’s gone woke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004