Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

IF THEY WEREN'T loving BOLTED INTO THE AIR-TIGHT SUB FROM THE OUTSIDE HOLY poo poo

Huh. So if they did somehow find the submersible intact, with pressure issues would the rescuers be able to open the shell? Would it have to be towed somehow back to the surface? Does that capability even exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So if that was them banging they're getting the bad suffocation death instead of instant implosion one huh

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Redmark posted:

Huh. So if they did somehow find the submersible intact, with pressure issues would the rescuers be able to open the shell? Would it have to be towed somehow back to the surface? Does that capability even exist?

it would have to be opened on the surface, yeah, there's no way anything would be able to dock with it at the depths it went to. you would need something to fully seal around the hatch at 1 atm of pressure and then somehow undo the bolts. nothing out there is equipped to do that underwater.

even if they could surface on their own and unbolt it from the inside, it would quickly fill with water and sink, and the water there is cold enough that they'd die from hypothermia not long after

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
The sub lost contact on the dive down, not on the bottom. Didn't someone say one of the failsafes was some sort of thumper on a half hour timer? It probably got triggered when the wreckage hit the sea floor.

:crabcourse: somewhere nearby, an impossibly ancient crab smells something it hasn't in forever.. .:crabcourse:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vampire Panties posted:

The sub lost contact on the dive down, not on the bottom. Didn't someone say one of the failsafes was some sort of thumper on a half hour timer? It probably got triggered when the wreckage hit the sea floor.

:crabcourse: somewhere nearby, an impossibly ancient crab smells something it hasn't in forever.. .:crabcourse:

Gabe Newell took the same approach to fail safes for Joe Exotics Under Sea Adventure Ship as he did Half-life 3 development

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Redmark posted:

They absolutely couldn't open the sub on the sea floor or it would just explosively decompress and kill any potential survivors on board. They'd need to find a way to float it back up to the surface which is really difficult for a number of reasons, IIRC the coast guard's submarine rescue capability is only rated for 2km so even if they knew the exact position of the intact sub with confirmed survivors on the seafloor, they can't actually get down to it safely. There are research subs that are rated for that depth but even if they were powerful enough to drag a whole rear end other sub up to the surface getting any kind of winch or tow onto it would be extremely tricky since it'd all have to be done by maneuvering the rescue craft itself, since we're talking 400 atmos of pressure where it is physically impossible for human divers to operate without turning into fine red mist.

My understanding is that the "hope" for rescue is that either the sub has made it to the surface and will eventually be spotted, or was able at some point to drop the ballast and is slowly rising and by the time it is found will be high enough in elevation a more feasible rescue operation can be undertaken. If they really are just chilling on the sea floor 4km down next to the Titanic wreckage they may be well and truly hosed even if they were to be found while anybody on board was still alive.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Gabe Newell took the same approach to fail safes for Joe Exotics Under Sea Adventure Ship as he did Half-life 3 development

...Just not build a loving submarine? :confused:/:v:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I wonder if they lost contact and some functionality but could still skoot around near the Titanic and were like "well uhh we'll die soon uhh do you want to see the titanic wreck anyway? might be kinda cool."

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

JerikTelorian posted:

This made me laugh really, really, really hard.

We're clearly operating under ork design principles.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

super sweet best pal posted:

We're clearly operating under ork design principles.

Should have painted it blue before setting out.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
billionaires are already extremely adapted to huffing their own farts so that's an extra like 30 hours of atmosphere right there

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
What if this is an enormous publicity stunt for their ipo valuation???

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
can they eat a bunch of food and have their gut turn it into farts and rise 2 the surface???

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Lol

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Listen, I'm sure a billionaire who worked in a country famous for using near-slave labour and a millionaire from a country famous for supplying near-slave labour had all sorts of legit reasons to hang out together

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grover and Joe Exotic teamed up to create a tiger of a sub. I'm surprised Elon hasn't called the captain a pedophile yet or developed a sub that can help to locate the load bearing glass windows they apparently relied on to withstand depths 4X their rating.

I mean I swear to God I hope they dub the rescue footage with a transparent musk photograph.

Or maybe dub desantises campaign announcement over the rescue of the crews very compact remains.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

thehandtruck posted:

can they eat a bunch of food and have their gut turn it into farts and rise 2 the surface???

ballast is stored in the balls

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tree Bucket posted:

Listen, I'm sure a billionaire who worked in a country famous for using near-slave labour and a millionaire from a country famous for supplying near-slave labour had all sorts of legit reasons to hang out together

frankly i'd expect the pakistani guy to have more money than harding

he is (was) also personal friends with king chuck of england so that's nice

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Grover and Joe Exotic teamed up to create a tiger of a sub. I'm surprised Elon hasn't called the captain a pedophile yet or developed a sub that can help to locate the load bearing glass windows they apparently relied on to withstand depths 4X their rating.

I mean I swear to God I hope they dub the rescue footage with a transparent musk photograph.

Or maybe dub desantises campaign announcement over the rescue of the crews very compact remains.

the captain and pilot was the CEO

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Google Jeb Bush posted:

the captain and pilot was the CEO

The voice actor of the combine guard in city 17 train station that makes you pickup the can and put it in the trash can was apparently also in the submarine

Makes you think

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpUIuJFgpZQ

insanely good deep dive, legit stuff

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sydin posted:

They absolutely couldn't open the sub on the sea floor or it would just explosively decompress and kill any potential survivors on board. They'd need to find a way to float it back up to the surface which is really difficult for a number of reasons, IIRC the coast guard's submarine rescue capability is only rated for 2km so even if they knew the exact position of the intact sub with confirmed survivors on the seafloor, they can't actually get down to it safely. There are research subs that are rated for that depth but even if they were powerful enough to drag a whole rear end other sub up to the surface getting any kind of winch or tow onto it would be extremely tricky since it'd all have to be done by maneuvering the rescue craft itself, since we're talking 400 atmos of pressure where it is physically impossible for human divers to operate without turning into fine red mist.

My understanding is that the "hope" for rescue is that either the sub has made it to the surface and will eventually be spotted, or was able at some point to drop the ballast and is slowly rising and by the time it is found will be high enough in elevation a more feasible rescue operation can be undertaken. If they really are just chilling on the sea floor 4km down next to the Titanic wreckage they may be well and truly hosed even if they were to be found while anybody on board was still alive.

The US Navy has capabilities that could be used to rescue the submersible, such as FDOSS, if the submersible can be properly located; FDOSS has brought equipment larger than this sub up, and from much greater depths.

It wouldn't be easy and still might not work, but it's not quite as bleak as you said.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This is the new Fyre Festival.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ok dude obviously plugging his zero subscriber channel

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

ok dude obviously plugging his zero subscriber channel

he knows his stuff

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

FilthyImp posted:

Nah, the Juicero was a beast. Completely overengineered.

This poo poo is a homercar of ineptitude.
Or rather, was.

Yeah but which one did a better job at turning whatever you put into it into juice?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Rescue of the groversub, 2023, colourised.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

apparently losing contact has been a thing that happened to them before on "successful" dives according to the CBS guy that rode along with the surface vessel, so time of contact loss is not necessarily the time of catastrophic failure.

he said they lost contact for 5 hours and the crew of the boat shut off the internet so they couldn't live tweet it

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

reptilians posted:

My theory is that submarines are an object that has a platonic ideal (ie they’re arguably the opposite of airplanes, and there are submarine lego sets on the market, so it’s different from something like a unicycle, which has no lego set , purpose, or opposing vehicle) and this particular submarine sunk because it strayed too far from that form (no periscope tower thing or giant singular propeller on the back for instance)

There is glory in this post.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

R.L. Stine posted:

he knows his stuff

You don't have to pretend it's not you any more.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Codependent Poster posted:

So if that was them banging they're getting the bad suffocation death instead of instant implosion one huh

I thought that you'd just get like, light headed, sleepy, and then lay down and pass out. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skooma512 posted:

This is the new Fyre Festival.

Fyre, now water... what is the Air and Earth of disastrous rich guy ventures?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grem posted:

I thought that you'd just get like, light headed, sleepy, and then lay down and pass out. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Conveniently, you can only lay down in the doomsub anyway.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

Fyre, now water... what is the Air and Earth of disastrous rich guy ventures?

Mt Everest

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
The Billionaires will be fine guys, don't worry.

Tom Hanks will portray the CEO/Captain in the upcoming Oscar-baiting film about their rescue.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

drat you sure showed the person who made an amusing video and used their youtube account to post it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
4am EST tomorrow

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."

Grem posted:

Nah they’re turning all that O2 into CO2 and that’s the real bad kind of air death.

If they’re alive I really hope they get rescued, because despite the levels of questionably-ironic psychopathy in this thread, I can’t wish that level of suffering on anyone.

The Dirtiest Harry fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 21, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Yeah carbon monoxide is a peaceful death, carbon dioxide is the convulsing and feeling like you're suffocating kinda death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

i am truley sorry. i changed the thumbnail out of guilt for anyone thinking it wasnt real