Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
Here's a new version of the trailer; does it flow any better now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6aK9abwbHc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Lucid Dream posted:

Got some basic turn-based combat working:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIkN8SUwUWA

Need some advice on where to take it next - As it was originally conceived, there were 3 pillars to the game concept:
1) Oregon Trail journeys across a wide map,
2) Scorched Earth combat with dynamic sand-game terrain, and
3) An overarching meta-level progression involving delivering goods between hubs in order to earn money/upgrades/new shells/etc.

All of the pillars play into each other, as you would have to upgrade/improve the paths to make the traversal easier and then the artillery combat would potentially damage the path. The meta layer would be where the story comes in, and where long-term upgrades would happen (better equipment, allies, etc). I really think the idea shines with all of those things working together... but honestly the Scorched Earth part with the lightest bits of the meta layer would make for a halfway decent minimum viable product.

So, the question is: What would make for a more compelling pitch to a publisher - A thin vertical slice of all of those systems, or a more fleshed out combat prototype? The combat prototype would be more fun in a vacuum (and probably worth a few bucks on its own), but the vertical slice would give a better idea of the overall concept.

I would go for the vertical slice, work on what happens outside combat. I'm interested in the core gameplay loop of the thing, like how does a typical leg of the trip go, are there things to watch out for besides enemies, etc.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

LoboFlex posted:

I like this one a lot! Gives a good sense of progression.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Haven't shared updates here in awhile but I've been gradually adding stuff. My artist collaborator has been doing another pass on animations:

https://twitter.com/MegaKnockdown/status/1670923541515059205?t=_XOsmoJOI-98bjD39tCC4Q&s=19

For comparison the first rough animation looked like this:

https://imgur.com/a/kNZ6imF

I'm also working on adding timed Blitz (3 seconds to lock in) and Bullet speed (one second to lock in) modes to my online mode. They've been in my game for a long time now but I didn't have them enabled for online play because a) I didn't want to have to debug that combination of things, and b) I didn't want to make the UI for it. But I knocked this addition out in a couple hours and it'll be in my next update.

https://imgur.com/a/Fkbf2Ex

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Man, I was stressed about pushing a very early version of my game out for testing and feedback last week, but holy poo poo does getting good feedback (as in effective, not necessarily positive) help with motivation problems.

Got an insanely good amount of work done over the weekend because of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

LoboFlex posted:

Skip the rotating piece at the start, otherwise looks good! If you wanted to get fancy, you could try making the "wishlist on steam" CTA at the end work kinda like your part placement, but that's probably more effort than it's worth. I would at least change the sound effect to the one you use for placing parts instead of the one for rotating them.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Lucid Dream posted:

Ahaha I've never heard of So Long, Oregon, but that looks hilarious, I'm going to have to get that. I've gone back and forth on how I wanted to do the combat for awhile, but ultimately I decided to try and reasonably faithfully re-create the Scorched Earth turn-based combat because it's pretty much a known quantity. I figured I was better off just doing something I know is fun rather than mucking with the formula too much. I want to do tons of crazy artillery shells and other weapons and countermeasures and stuff though. I just want the most basic elements of the combat to feel reminiscent of Scorched Earth. I do want to try out doing a SuperHot thing where time moves when you do though.

Haha, didn't realize that was from the same guy that did Enviro-bear 2000! Good stuff, good stuff.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
posting on the :acab: page :toot:

Yay, my two new games have had their openings and were received well. should have some videos about them soon, but some pics for now:
Medieval city projection mapping in a museum

Boat simulator in a resort for handicapped kids (pic is a link because last time it set off serth's photosensitivty. should be better now cause the plastic film has been removed from the screens but better safe than sorry)
https://imgur.com/8OpXATU

:woop:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm interested in the core gameplay loop of the thing, like how does a typical leg of the trip go, are there things to watch out for besides enemies, etc.

Yeah, I suppose this is something that really needs to be figured out for the overall concept to work beyond just a combat game. What I really want to capture is the preparation part of something like Oregon Trail or Death Stranding, but I need to figure out the right length for a level so that it's big enough to feel like the preparation was worth it, but short enough that it doesn't feel like a chore to traverse it if you've cleared up all the hazards and there are no enemies there. I really don't want there to be a bunch of boring down time. The premise is that you're an oil-rig sized spider-bot with a human crew, so presumably there could be a light sim layer that you could fiddle with during the journey, but I don't really want to get into the micromanagement of it all.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 20, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

ekuNNN posted:

Boat simulator in a resort for handicapped kids (pic is a link because last time it set off serth's photosensitivty. should be better now cause the plastic film has been removed from the screens but better safe than sorry)

I checked to see if it was worse or better.

It was worse without the plastic film. Thank the dark gods for my epilepsy medicine.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

LoboFlex posted:

I just want to say that this looks really cool and reminds me a lot of Dorfromantik, but cuter.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SerthVarnee posted:

It was worse without the plastic film. Thank the dark gods for my epilepsy medicine.
oof, sorry again. it does not have those over-bright qualities in person as on my pictures, but I will make sure to warn the place about your experience with it.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay

Sundae posted:

I just want to say that this looks really cool and reminds me a lot of Dorfromantik, but cuter.

Thank you kindly :3:

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Skip the rotating piece at the start, otherwise looks good! If you wanted to get fancy, you could try making the "wishlist on steam" CTA at the end work kinda like your part placement, but that's probably more effort than it's worth. I would at least change the sound effect to the one you use for placing parts instead of the one for rotating them.

I would leave "wishlist on" with the same sfx, then change Steam to the placement sfx and have the heart pop in with the level up chime, but that's all preference. Maybe cut the first shot so there's just one rotation before you place it?

All in all it's a good improvement. It puts gameplay and your unique features up front, doesn't repeat itself, and makes it look very enticing. Good job!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

posting on the :acab: page :toot:

Yay, my two new games have had their openings and were received well. should have some videos about them soon, but some pics for now:
Medieval city projection mapping in a museum

https://imgur.com/8OpXATU

These are awesome, it's the exact kind of stuff my partner likes to make: Interactive experiences for museums with novel input and display stuff.

Did you get any funding to make these or was it volunteer work? The main reason she hasn't done much of this is funding is a pain. She hates writing grant proposals, and it can be a hassle to find a place to host stuff.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Uhhh I have no idea what I'm doing. Save your "just use Unity" comments

I am using imgui on top of SDL2 in rust, this works and compiles etc:
https://pastebin.com/QddmQVmz
https://pastebin.com/wY9KKbiE

I'm only jumping into GL because it's necessary for text rendering etc for imgui

However I still want to draw raw SDL2 gfx primitives (lines) to the... probably framebuffer, in linux to start, at least

https://docs.rs/sdl2/latest/sdl2/gfx/primitives/trait.DrawRenderer.html#tymethod.line

e.g.
code:
canvas.set_draw_color(Color::RGBA(255, 255, 255, 255));
canvas.line((10,11),(301,302));
https://sunjay.dev/learn-game-dev/opening-a-window.html (main.src tab, top right)

In theory I need to just add a canvas around line 41,

code:
let mut canvas = window.into_canvas().build()
        .expect("could not make a canvas");
However I've already created the window in a GL context, is it possible to run, uh, two systems and composite them on the framebuffer during the render step? Looks like they accomplished it here (although this is broken now, because reasons, and the maintainers refuse to backport solutions so I'm moving on)

https://github.com/iolivia/imgui-ggez-starter/

edit:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

So, I forgot if I've brought this up before, but as I add more new hand drawn sprites to my game, the filesize of my main 'versus' scene gets bigger and bigger, requiring more RAM and longer load times, probably other performance impacts. Some users are saying the game appears to stop responding when loading this scene for the first time, though after it's in memory they don't see the issue any more, and it responds again after loading the sprites. I'm using Unity, and I think this is because each character has an animator object attached to it that contains basically every combat animation in the game for every character. Is there a way to pre-load this is in an earlier scene and/or break it up into smaller pieces and only load each character's animations when the scene begins? I'm also not sure if the latter would cause the characters to 'pop in' only after the main scene loads.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay

Tricky Ed posted:

I would leave "wishlist on" with the same sfx, then change Steam to the placement sfx and have the heart pop in with the level up chime, but that's all preference. Maybe cut the first shot so there's just one rotation before you place it?

All in all it's a good improvement. It puts gameplay and your unique features up front, doesn't repeat itself, and makes it look very enticing. Good job!

I shaved a second or so off the beginning by reducing the number of rotations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBcqtRVxvKM

I tried with various other sounds for the end slate, but they were either a bit too monotonous or too attention grabbing, so I think I'm just gonna stick with the unassuming rotation sounds.

And thank you! <3

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I've followed your game loosely on the thread here for a while now. First off - the trailer looks great! After watching it, the question that stick out in my mind is: does leveling up unlock anything in terms of set pieces for the biotopes, or critters that can be placed in them? From reading here, I was under the impression that levels didn't do anything, but maybe I lost track of the thread.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

LoboFlex posted:

I tried with various other sounds for the end slate, but they were either a bit too monotonous or too attention grabbing, so I think I'm just gonna stick with the unassuming rotation sounds.

And thank you! <3

I would do something like this with it if it were my teaser:

https://i.imgur.com/4NF7pEt.mp4

Just a bit faster paced, adjusted to contemporary attention spans and a bit more driving music for the sake of this presentation.
I had to mute the game sounds as there was game music with it but this is a quick example.

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 21, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dhamster posted:

So, I forgot if I've brought this up before, but as I add more new hand drawn sprites to my game, the filesize of my main 'versus' scene gets bigger and bigger, requiring more RAM and longer load times, probably other performance impacts. Some users are saying the game appears to stop responding when loading this scene for the first time, though after it's in memory they don't see the issue any more, and it responds again after loading the sprites. I'm using Unity, and I think this is because each character has an animator object attached to it that contains basically every combat animation in the game for every character. Is there a way to pre-load this is in an earlier scene and/or break it up into smaller pieces and only load each character's animations when the scene begins? I'm also not sure if the latter would cause the characters to 'pop in' only after the main scene loads.

The animator contains every animation for every character? And those have references to all of the sprites? Yeah, you'll need to find some way to break that up. Why does the single animator reference every character? That'd be priority 1.

The stuff loaded by Unity for a scene is basically everything that is referenced by objects in the scene (and everything that those loaded objects reference, etc). In other words, reducing the filesize of the scene won't necessarily help; you need the scene to reference less data as well. Your eventual goal should be to put each character into their own asset that's only loaded if you need that specific character in the fight. This could be done by putting each character in their own scene which is additively loaded, or by putting them into Resources or an asset bundle and then loading the character's asset at runtime.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay

cmdrk posted:

I've followed your game loosely on the thread here for a while now. First off - the trailer looks great! After watching it, the question that stick out in my mind is: does leveling up unlock anything in terms of set pieces for the biotopes, or critters that can be placed in them? From reading here, I was under the impression that levels didn't do anything, but maybe I lost track of the thread.

Thank you! The current level determines how many biomes are in play, and as you level up more biomes can appear on the landscape pieces, making the game more challenging as you grow.

As the game is now you get critters (or potentially other special set pieces) as biotopes rank up, but as it is I'm not very happy with how it works, so once the steam page is out of the way I'm gonna try to figure out the rest of the actual gameplay. :sweatdrop:

Bronze Fonz posted:

I would do something like this with it if it were my teaser:

Just a bit faster paced, adjusted to contemporary attention spans and a bit more driving music for the sake of this presentation.
I had to mute the game sounds as there was game music with it but this is a quick example.

That's very compelling; thank you for putting so much effort into it. I've already spent way more time on this than I was planning to, but I'm 100% going to have to make more trailers down the road, most likely for different platforms as well, so I really appreciate the input.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dhamster posted:

You should look into creating a single "master" animator that just controls the parameters of a dummy unit and then using animator overrides which let you remap animations on an individual basis. This way you can avoid what I can only imagine is the spaghetti mess of a single animator controlling every single animation.

Then as TMA said create a Resources folder where you drop all your prefabs. Create a "fighter controller" or something that instantiates the prefabs only when called and destroys them when no longer needed.

Also look into audio optimization which can cause memory problems. IIRC "preload audio data" is a default import setting which causes the scene to delay loading until all audio is loaded. Only check "preload audio data" for audio that needs to be played ASAP, everything else can load in background or stream. Default audio import is also decompress on load which is more memory intensive.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 21, 2023

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

al-azad posted:

You should look into creating a single "master" animator that just controls the parameters of a dummy unit and then using animator overrides which let you remap animations on an individual basis. This way you can avoid what I can only imagine is the spaghetti mess of a single animator controlling every single animation.

Then as TMA said create a Resources folder where you drop all your prefabs. Create a "fighter controller" or something that instantiates the prefabs only when called and destroys them when no longer needed.

Also look into audio optimization which can cause memory problems. IIRC "preload audio data" is a default import setting which causes the scene to delay loading until all audio is loaded. Only check "preload audio data" for audio that needs to be played ASAP, everything else can load in background or stream. Default audio import is also decompress on load which is more memory intensive.

So right now I have a 'master' animator for the template character, and each character exists as an animation override layer within that animator. Is there a way I can have that controller talk to a second controller in a prefab instead of a different layer within the same animator?

Per TMA's comment, I get that the way I'm doing it kinda sucks, but I'm just not sure how to selectively load only one character at a time if I'm doing frame by frame sprites in an animation controller.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dhamster posted:

So right now I have a 'master' animator for the template character, and each character exists as an animation override layer within that animator. Is there a way I can have that controller talk to a second controller in a prefab instead of a different layer within the same animator?

Per TMA's comment, I get that the way I'm doing it kinda sucks, but I'm just not sure how to selectively load only one character at a time if I'm doing frame by frame sprites in an animation controller.

So each character is on a separate layer within that template character or are you using the actual unity asset animator override controller? If it's the latter then you're good on that front otherwise yeah you're loading potentially hundreds of sprites for that one controller.

e: You should also atlas your sprites to load them in bulk instead of one at a time. I think Texture Packer is one of the best deals for the money but I think there's some good free alternatives on itch

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 21, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

LoboFlex posted:

And thank you! <3

The objects being the tile itself, rather than the edges of the tile, gives me the impression that it will be easier to create nice-looking landscapes instead of Dorfromantik's gamey tile clusters that cut themselves off in weird ways chasing quests. It looks relaxing in a way that Dorfromantik tried to be but didn't always achieve.

I'd add a few more of those aerial view completed maps at the end - maybe shift through them faster as a result, but showcase the fact that maps just naturally look like organic regions in this game more, because in its obvious comparison Dorfromantik, that wasn't always the case, and that sometimes kept me away from wanting to keep playing Dorfromantik.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay

deep dish peat moss posted:

The objects being the tile itself, rather than the edges of the tile, gives me the impression that it will be easier to create nice-looking landscapes instead of Dorfromantik's gamey tile clusters that cut themselves off in weird ways chasing quests. It looks relaxing in a way that Dorfromantik tried to be but didn't always achieve.

I'd add a few more of those aerial view completed maps at the end - maybe shift through them faster as a result, but showcase the fact that maps just naturally look like organic regions in this game more, because in its obvious comparison Dorfromantik, that wasn't always the case, and that sometimes kept me away from wanting to keep playing Dorfromantik.

It has been bothering me that there were only two final area shots, so I snuck in a third one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnzLx0U6yOg
(I think this is the final version, so thanks for putting up with my constant trailer spam these last few days!)

As for Dorfromantik, I'm missing out on "perfect placement" as a concept, but I hope that means players will spend less time scouring the map for the perfect spot as well. The gameplay loop in Dorfromantik feels more elegant overall and I'm kinda cluttering things up with levels and ranks and whatnot, but I think I prefer that than just copying what they did, which is what I was doing earlier.

I do want the player to focus more on building a nice looking landscape than just chasing a higher score, though. Still kinda wish I'd gone the route of Townscaper / Tiny Glade / Islands & Trains from the start since there's no shortage of Dorfromantik derivatives these days, yet still not too many pure sandboxy games. I could be having fun just making more assets, and not be stuck in this dumb gameplay mire constantly. :sigh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Holy fuckballs it's finally working.

It's messy and clumsy and full of debug information and you can't delete nodes yet but it's finally working.

(Just a static image but it's likely to set off Serth so not embedding)
https://imgur.com/FKdYzRj

Edit: Here's a link to the huge original image so you can actually read it
https://i.imgur.com/FKdYzRj.png

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...

LoboFlex posted:

This is pretty good, but I honestly feel it trips over at the end. For me it went from "hey this is pretty impressive - there's some good production quality" throughout the trailer to "oof, shovelware" the second the title popped up.

The title just slapped on a blue background looks kinda low rent compared to the rest of the art you have in the trailer. I don't think it's the logo per se, but rather that it doesn't quite work on a solid backdrop like that. For example, I think that logo could work pretty well over one of your rotating landscapes (i.e. when you cycle through them you could show one, two, then three/title).

Apologies if that sounds harsh, it was just my honest first impression!

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Definitely, the logo over several rotating landscapes would do wonders!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've only implemented maybe a dozen functions and don't have any kind of ability to add animation yet, but having the flexibility of the graph interface to compose functions is letting me make some pretty insane stuff given the simplicity of the building blocks. I'm just having a ton of fun making weird digital art. Too bad I don't have saving in yet either....

https://imgur.com/a/cT4JzOz

Very motivated to build more tools for making stuff.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That's loving cool, man.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay

Aneurexorcyst posted:

This is pretty good, but I honestly feel it trips over at the end. For me it went from "hey this is pretty impressive - there's some good production quality" throughout the trailer to "oof, shovelware" the second the title popped up.

The title just slapped on a blue background looks kinda low rent compared to the rest of the art you have in the trailer. I don't think it's the logo per se, but rather that it doesn't quite work on a solid backdrop like that. For example, I think that logo could work pretty well over one of your rotating landscapes (i.e. when you cycle through them you could show one, two, then three/title).

Apologies if that sounds harsh, it was just my honest first impression!

Bronze Fonz posted:

Definitely, the logo over several rotating landscapes would do wonders!
Oh god, it never stops :negative:

I tried superimposing the title onto the blurred out rotating landscape, and it turned into some kind of awful vomit-o-tron (very possibly nausia-inducing): https://i.imgur.com/TgIsLJL

Then I tried a static zoomed in part of the landscape itself, which might be fine? The transition feels a bit abrupt, but I think I like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpNPFjpsAY
Either way, thank you for the honest feedback, I do actually appreciate it. <3

In other news: I've started working on graphical assets for the steam page, like capsule images and such, and I am terribly lost.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oooooh that works really well ^^ much better than the solid color background. It makes the ending nice and calm with the moving trees and water.

Chainclaw posted:

Did you get any funding to make these or was it volunteer work? The main reason she hasn't done much of this is funding is a pain. She hates writing grant proposals, and it can be a hassle to find a place to host stuff.
Thanks!, and yeah, we get paid. it's been my full-time job for over 10 years now. I work together with one other guy and I do electonics and software and he builds the stuff and does design.
We absolutely suck at grant proposals, so we usually submit project plans to open calls for art or light festivals and things like that. That way they do the grant proposals, and you have funding and an exhibition already planned at the end. We also rent out our older installations to festivals and exhibitions, so that's some nice side income as well. At the start of our career we did some stuff cheap, just to get some good stuff in our portfolio and build a network. Nowadays we mostly get approached with requests by museums or organisations to think of something interactive for them, who found us through our website, or from seeing our work somewhere, or through our network.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions :sun:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

anatomi posted:

That's loving cool, man.

I'm really hoping I get to the point soon where I can get all the internal wiring hooked up to the audio / MIDI controller stuff I had before. When that happens, I think I might try doing a Twitch stream or two to test out how well it works for live production and to hopefully get some real time feedback.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

LoboFlex posted:

Then I tried a static zoomed in part of the landscape itself, which might be fine? The transition feels a bit abrupt, but I think I like it:

That looks great; very nice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Am now able to draw a map and the player's location on said map, and the map updates based on how much the player can see. Should figure out how to draw a few other things on it, obstacles, maybe non-enemy NPCs. (Like, the person you talk to to do X is here, etc.)

Also would be nice if the player could zoom in and move it around but that's waaaaay in the future.

One of the things I should figure out now is the "leash" each enemy has- just loving running feels like it should be an option (especially if it's possible to stealth past enemies), and I don't want the player's every move to alternate with 18 other enemies, so there should be some point at which an enemy says "I'll just stay put here/return to my original position" and then reactivates if the player moves near them. I've got an idea how this will work in code (the enemy will become a non-enemy object that turns back into an enemy when needed), it's largely a question of when it triggers.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Aneurexorcyst posted:

For example, I think that logo could work pretty well over one of your rotating landscapes (i.e. when you cycle through them you could show one, two, then three/title).
Agree, and maybe blur the background image to focus on the text.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
Got a fairly heavy devlog in the works for SENTRY, but until then here's a wee clip of some combat gameplay:

https://twitter.com/SeanNoonan/status/1672590760783298562

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a Unity asset for tile-based 3d level editing? I was hoping to define 3d tiles from models, define how they interconnect, and then be able to draw walls and paint floors with them like they were otherwise 2d tiles.