Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Expelling the british plumbers to where, one wonders.

Presumably poland to replace the deficit. Which makes the whole thing seem like a kind of large prank.

Perhaps that's how they fund london, viral demography prank videos.
The great replacement theory but as a French operatic farce, for TikTok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Back in 2009 or 2010 there was a really massive obsession among certain segments of the British population that Poland was basically exporting its entire population to colonize the U.K. and that there was just constant knife crime and beheadings from Middle eastern Immigrants all over London.

Are the Poles still plotting all of this post-Brexit or did those theories disappear along with Nigel Farage's bus?

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Too much green and blue for that.

We all know what happened last time Byzantium said a place had too much Blue and Green.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Back in 2009 or 2010 there was a really massive obsession among certain segments of the British population that Poland was basically exporting its entire population to colonize the U.K.

My buddy married a Polish lady, the day after her UK citizenship cleared, she divorced him, no joke

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hadlock posted:

My buddy married a Polish lady, the day after her UK citizenship cleared, she divorced him, no joke

Your friend probably sucked :shrug:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hadlock posted:

k

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Are the Poles still plotting all of this post-Brexit or did those theories disappear along with Nigel Farage's bus?

two of my friends worked in london as street sweepers and basically got kicked out in 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Horatius Bonar posted:

We all know what happened last time Byzantium said a place had too much Blue and Green.

:hmmyes:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

i say swears online posted:

two of my friends worked in london as street sweepers and basically got kicked out in 2016

I thought the real game there was in chimneys.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Hadlock posted:

Was that pre- or post-brexit?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It remains hilarious that Blair was one of the main drivers of the EU expanding into Eastern Europe because he wanted mass immigration but whites only so that the proles wouldn't notice, people got lovely about Slavs instead, Brexit happened, and now British people are less lovely about anyone, like a mass statewide degaussing.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Wipfmetz posted:

I assume before Poland joined the EU, otherwise it doesn't make much sense, since you even had access to benefits and everything (still have if grandfathered).

e: Maybe the application for citizenship would be more complicated to do while getting divorced though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 21, 2023

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Back in 2009 or 2010 there was a really massive obsession among certain segments of the British population that Poland was basically exporting its entire population to colonize the U.K. and that there was just constant knife crime and beheadings from Middle eastern Immigrants all over London.

In about 2013 the immigrant panic was about Romanians. Currently it's about 'immigrants' generally but particularly small boat migrant crossings of the Channel, which is a mix of people including Middle Eastern refugees. The bête noires are 'economic migrants', especially people from Albania - as opposed to more 'worthy' refugees and asylum seekers (although they're still detested in some quarters).

A few months ago there was an amusing set of headlines in the UK papers:

"Poland will be wealthier than Britain by 2030 – it’s time we took notice"

edit:

distortion park posted:

This database (which is a bit like a map) is of works of art which are exempt from inheritance tax and nominally available for public viewing. Loads are in various public galleries etc or partially opened manors as you mention, but some are in company offices or private homes. If you contact them they are meant to arrange a viewing as a condition of the tax free status.

http://www.visitukheritage.gov.uk/servlet/com.eds.ir.cto.servlet.CtoChatSearchServlet

e.g. in theory if you contact this law firm you can arrange viewings of artworks by Turner, Gainsborough, Holbein etc

I love this. It's so user-unfriendly and you have to know exactly what you're looking for, plus you have to go through the owner's lawyers to set up a viewing. A way of getting IHT exemption but still making it as hard as possible for the great unwashed to actually see it.

oxford_town fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 21, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

"On top of the world" (OTOTW) is a superlative designation that belongs to only 20 mountains in California. If you stood at the summit of an OTOTW mountain, you would literally be on top of the world, as nothing on Earth would rise above your horizon. Even though distant mountains may have a higher elevation, due to Earth's curvature, they will begin to dip below the horizon if they are far away enough.

For example, a well-known OTOTW mountain is Mount Diablo in the San Francisco Bay Area. With a modest elevation of 3,849 feet, Diablo isn't particularly high by California standards. Yet the views from the summit are known for being incredibly expansive. Even though Copernicus Peak to its south has a higher elevation of 4,360 feet, it is far enough from Diablo so that due to Earth's curvature, its summit is actually below the horizon of an observer standing at Diablo's summit. The distant Sierra Nevada will also be below the horizon due to this same property, despite having a significantly higher elevation.

OTOTW mountains tend to dominate their surroundings, and have spectacular views. In early days, they were often mistakingly thought of as being the highest in the world by local populations. As such, OTOTW mountains have a much greater chance of being held as sacred by local populations than non-OTOTW mountains. Famous sacred OTOTW mountains worldwide include Mount Olympus, Mount Ararat, and Mount Fuji.

Note: the horizon at the summit is defined as a flat plane that passes through the summit, and is perpendicular to the direction of gravity at the summit. Above the horizon means on the side of this plane opposite the direction of gravity at the summit.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2208.01600

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 21, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wipfmetz posted:

Pre-brexit

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Your friend probably sucked :shrug:

And gently caress you, he has a very lovely rnglish wife and two darling children living a very average London middle class life, enjoy your 48 hour probe, you rear end in a top hat. gently caress you again

Report that rear end in a top hat thanks

On the balance, he did own a Honda S2000 which was his dream car, when the second kid was born he downgraded to a Saab 9000 which is his second love. Neither are ultra bougie cars

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

good and proper rnglish simple as

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

good and proper rnglish simple as

Virgin detected

Edit: lol I looked at your posts, sorry to call you out :lmao:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hadlock posted:

Pre-brexit

And gently caress you, he has a very lovely rnglish wife and two darling children living a very average London middle class life, enjoy your 48 hour probe, you rear end in a top hat. gently caress you again

On the balance, he did own a Honda S2000 which was his dream car, when the second kid was born he downgraded to a Saab 9000 which is his second love. Neither are ultra bougie cars

This is your brain on being English

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 21, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Note: the horizon at the summit is defined as a flat plane that passes through the summit, and is perpendicular to the direction of gravity at the summit. Above the horizon means on the side of this plane opposite the direction of gravity at the summit.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2208.01600

This isn't really what I expected a "horizon" to be but I guess they needed to make one up otherwise it would be trivially true of everywhere without buildings or trees?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

This is your brain on being English

Also gently caress you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 21, 2023

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

oxford_town posted:

The bête noires are 'economic migrants', especially people from Albania - as opposed to more 'worthy' refugees and asylum seekers (although they're still detested in some quarters).

Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that Albania is one of the few Muslim-majority countries in Europe, just like fearmongering over Turkish accession had nothing to do with religious demographics there either.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hadlock posted:

Edit: lol I looked at your posts,

Condolences

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Hadlock posted:

Why, it's not him who's making an rear end out of himself.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 21, 2023

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Now, to something completly different.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It remains hilarious that Blair was one of the main drivers of the EU expanding into Eastern Europe because he wanted mass immigration but whites only so that the proles wouldn't notice, people got lovely about Slavs instead, Brexit happened, and now British people are less lovely about anyone, like a mass statewide degaussing.

Those numbers look great - interesting and nice to see that basically no one in the UK minds the nationality / race of their neighbors. Even Italy at 15% isn’t catastrophic. I’d be interested in seeing that over a longer time or for more countries.

Also not sure what you mean by EU expanding into E Europe. Where else would they expand?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hadlock posted:

Quit making GBS threads up this thread website, Hadlock.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

It's to be noted that very few sham marriages in Finland result in any positive outcome for the sham marrier, because Migri is so incredibly anti-immigration that even 100% obviously "genuine" spouses just get deported. e: Immigration into Finland is just an altogether bad idea, marriage or not, due to Migri (among other reasons).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Pre-brexit

Hadlock posted:

Virgin detected

Edit: lol I looked at your posts, sorry to call you out :lmao:

we need fighters like this to protect the Falklands

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's to be noted that very few sham marriages in Finland result in any positive outcome for the sham marrier, because Migri is so incredibly anti-immigration that even 100% obviously "genuine" spouses just get deported. e: Immigration into Finland is just an altogether bad idea, marriage or not, due to Migri (among other reasons).
I don't know Migri, but after this i _really_ don't want to marry her or him. Thank you for the warning.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

I don't know Migri, but after this i _really_ don't want to marry her or him. Thank you for the warning.

gently caress you they have a Volvo 740!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saladman posted:

Also not sure what you mean by EU expanding into E Europe. Where else would they expand?
They could have not expanded, it's not a map game where you lose if you're happy with what you've got.

Or they could have expanded south, that's not without historical precedent. :hist101:

Or more seriously the UK could have followed every other EU country except Ireland and Sweden and accepted the A8 countries with a transitional agreement, rather than (as Tony Blair and Mervyn King saw it) grab as much Eastern European labor before the rest of Europe could move, securing a "first mover advantage" that would later be picked up by populists and come back to bite them in the butt.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://metrocosm.com/map-us-traffic/

http://metrocosm.com/global-air-traffic-map/

Wipfmetz posted:

Of course they have to be allowed in Ireland, you can't deprive them of shamrock marriages.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
One time I married an eastern european, then she got citizenship and we stayed married, prolly bc I'm not english

Hope that polish lady found a nice scotsman

Guavanaut posted:

mama mia!

e: speaking of citizenship and marriages, lmao that the one bit that prevents my wife from becoming a french citizen is she has to pass a french language test, like literally needs a diploma certifying "speaks french" despite all of our documents certifying legit marriage and me being 100% legal on board, document-having, on registry, passport-havin citizen of the Republic.

Also lmao France offers francification of your name to potential new citizens, just wanted to point that out https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F10528?lang=en

whenever someone says the US immigration system is racist...

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 21, 2023

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Saladman posted:

Portugal?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/realmemes6/status/1656033783244783616?s=20

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Canada is just an urban legend.

85% of the country is uninhabited and Vancouver is just a fake city made up by Hollywood so they can get tax breaks for filming there.

How anybody think it was real? Their signature food is called "Tim's Bits" and their sports teams all play in American leagues. It was an obvious joke.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pakistan confirmed to have the hottest cousins in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

These are very cool, thanks!