Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

Have Valve/Steam commented at all on all of the "Prologue" games showing up on the front page lately under New & Trending?

They are only ever short demos for games, and it's quite irritating seeing them flood the front page. It seems to me like developers are exploiting the fact that they are able to release demos as individual games in order to get seen on the front page, even though there is a system already in place specifically for demos. Because they've been listed by the devs as free games, they also clutter up the "Free to play" system.

I like the idea of demos and would like to see more of them, but they should really have their own section because it's getting a little out of hand. I would have thought Valve would have stepped in by now or at least would have commented on it. It would be easy enough to create a new tab for "Popular Demos" to interact with the existing system for demos, that way everyone would get what they want.

Edit: Typos

\/\/\/\/\/ If true, that's way worse. Very much exploitative behavior.

I'm pretty happy that demos are a thing again. It's more of a general issue with Steam setting an incredibly low bar for what is allowed on its storefront. Same issue as with asset flips and early access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Deciphering the Amazing Cultivation Sim 2 delay announcement has pretty much the same learning curve the game has

quote:

Hello everyone, I am very sorry to inform you that the original plan for the release of "Amazing Cultivation Simulator 2" in 2023 will be postponed to 2024.

In November 2020, we announced the birth of "Amazing Cultivation Simulator 2". Over the past two and a half years, we have been working very hard to develop it in our company and at home, overcoming countless difficulties, but it is really sweet and difficult!

The main issue is the high demand for human and vegetable addiction, which cannot be completed.

But as the saying goes, are games the spicy chicken games that are released on time

Anyway, the dish is the original sin. Although sorry is not helpful, it is really wrong not to fulfill the promise on time. Therefore, I solemnly say to everyone:

Sorry!!

Steam Thread: are games the spicy chicken games that are released on time

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 21, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Truly, the dish is the original sin.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finished In Sound Mind. None of the other levels were quite as great as the supermarket, but they were still really good.

Anyone who didn't high five Dave during the final boss has no soul.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

deep dish peat moss posted:

Deciphering the Amazing Cultivation Sim 2 delay announcement has pretty much the same learning curve the game has

Well, there you go. Fantastic.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

deep dish peat moss posted:

is this a confession that you are the original sin, deep dish peat moss

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Mordja posted:

I only played the tutorials and part of the first level of El Paso and my problem was that everything seemed way too constrained to get some good shootdodges in? Not helped by the incredibly low ceilings, it just felt claustrophobic. Idk, I'll play more and see then.

Yeah, as much as I think El Paso is pretty neat, I do agree that it felt a bit oddly constructed: having all of the enemies be melee units that charge at you in cramped environments wasn't the greatest for exciting shootdodge combat. For me, I feel like shootdodging works best in a ranged vs ranged scenario where you're diving between cover to stylishly break a stalemate, dealing with enemies at a distance and watching bullets whizz past you (speaking of, another thing the game was missing was modeling bullets flying which kind of ruins the whole appeal of "bullet"time). The shootdodge can still kind of work where you dodge backwards from a melee swipe, I guess, but the whole dynamic feels a bit awkward with melee enemies where it just becomes a crowded clusterfuck as everything charges at you: there's no stalemate to break.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 21, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

only one major thing announced from Nintendo Direct relevant here: Penny's Big Breakaway, a 3d platformer with yo-yo mechanics and really cute Sega Genesis-style color palette, from ex-Sonic Mania devs

there was also an HD-2D remake of Star Ocean 2 announced, coming in November, and DQ Monsters 3 coming in December, but I don't know if those will be coming to PC. the rest is all Switch stuff and, hey, there's some fun stuff in there. a full-on Super Mario RPG remake, a new 2D Mario series called Super Mario Wonder, and a new WarioWare.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Persona 5 Tactics: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2254740/Persona_5_Tactica/

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The 7th Guest posted:

there was also an HD-2D remake of Star Ocean 2 announced, coming in November, and DQ Monsters 3 coming in December, but I don't know if those will be coming to PC.
What other Square Enix stuff is Switch exclusive at this point? I think the Front Mission remake is taking a while to hit Steam. Dragon Quest Treasures I guess.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that was announced in a previous summer game fest event, I was just covering new stuff. there's an MMO called Palia that has no Steam page, and an action-roguelite called Silent Hope that might be in the Story of Seasons universe?

they also detailed what will be in the MGS Collection Vol 1:

- MGS 1 + VR Missions
- MGS 2 (and Screenplay Book)
- MGS 3 (and Screenplay Book)
- Metal Gear
- Metal Gear: Snake's Revenge
- Metal Gear (MSX)
- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX)
- MGS 1 & 2 Digital Graphic Novels
- Soundtracks

official date is October 24th

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm pretty happy that demos are a thing again. It's more of a general issue with Steam setting an incredibly low bar for what is allowed on its storefront. Same issue as with asset flips and early access.

The issue is less demos being a thing (demos are great). It's that there is an extreme inconsistency if it's a Store page that has a demo link (hidden on the right side), an actual demo with the demo icon and demo tag, or any iteration of Prologue that is a seperate store entry

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Having just as much fun with the Defender's Quest 2 demo as I did with the first game. So stoked.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As someone who lives in El Paso I am begging you to append the full name when talking about the game, this place deserves no praise, accidental or otherwise.

A haunted motel over a terrifying hell mouth would at least be something to do.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 21, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

- MGS 1 + VR Missions
- Metal Gear
- Metal Gear (MSX)
- Soundtracks

The official site and promo details have updated to confirm this'll be on Steam, which is a relief because they hadn't confirmed a PC port until then. Hopefully the ports don't suck!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I noticed some of the Sony-published games on sale this week. Does that necessarily mean they won't be on sale next week during the Summer Sale, or that they might be discounted differently than what they currently are?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

The 7th Guest posted:

that was announced in a previous summer game fest event, I was just covering new stuff. there's an MMO called Palia that has no Steam page, and an action-roguelite called Silent Hope that might be in the Story of Seasons universe?

- MGS 1 + VR Missions
- Metal Gear
- Metal Gear (MSX)
- Soundtracks

I wish they could include Peace Walker in that bundle.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kragger99 posted:

I wish they could include Peace Walker in that bundle.

Peacewalker is probably reserved for Vol 2.

I'd really like them to bundle in Ac!d 1 and 2 into Vol 2.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cross-Section posted:

I noticed some of the Sony-published games on sale this week. Does that necessarily mean they won't be on sale next week during the Summer Sale, or that they might be discounted differently than what they currently are?

There's no way to know for sure, but I suspect the Sony games will still be on sale during the biggest sale of the year

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

- MGS 1 + VR Missions
- Metal Gear
- Metal Gear (MSX)
- Soundtracks

What does that leave for 2? 4, 5, Revengeance, Peace Walker? I guess Acid is an option, although admittedly a weird one to do a port of.

e: Wouldn't mind seeing Ghost Babel and that should be really easy to emulate.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 21, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

What does that leave for 2? 4, 5, Revengeance, Peace Walker? I guess Acid is an option, although admittedly a weird one to do a port of.

There's also PoOps but it's very poopy.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

kazil posted:

There's no way to know for sure, but I suspect the Sony games will still be on sale during the biggest sale of the year

I figured, and I also imagine I could refund and rebuy them anyway if they end up with a steeper discount next week. Thanks!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

At least one of the biggest problems with PoOps would be resolved with the addition of a proper controller I think. Still has other issues but that'd resolve one of them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jack Trades posted:

Is that the zombie survival crafting one with no stealth and no snake

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

No that's just MG Survive, aptly named to be easily forgettable

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

No, Portable Ops is the lovely version of Peacewalker made without Kojima's involvement. Then Kojima picked some of the ideas from it and made Peacewalker, which is very good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Imagine Peace Walker/MGS5 but every time you want to brainwash convince someone to change sides you have to very slowly drag them back to a truck parked at the beginning of the map.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

The 7th Guest posted:

- MGS 1 + VR Missions
- Metal Gear
- Metal Gear (MSX)
- Soundtracks

Where the gently caress is Twin Snakes?!

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Trepang2 is out, any first impressions of the full game?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
PoOps has only one bit of interesting character development, and that's in the last fight when Big Boss realizes his goons will give their life for his lovely vision. They swoop in like the baby in Super Metroid and inflate his broken ego.

There. Now you don't have to suffer PoOps.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Brocktoon posted:

We probably won't ever see a re-release of Twin Snakes because it's in licensing hell. Silicon Knights made Twin Snakes, and since they went bankrupt, it's kind of up in the air about who owns the rights to that game specifically. Nintendo, Konami, Silicon Knights?

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Sloppy posted:

Having just as much fun with the Defender's Quest 2 demo as I did with the first game. So stoked.

Right there with you, can't wait for it. Going to reinstall the first one for a trip down memory lane.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Brocktoon posted:

in hell where it belongs

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

funkmeister posted:

I've got a steam wallet balance that I've been waiting for the perfect game to buy with it and this might be it. I'll be sure to post some thoughts on it later.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

in hell where it belongs

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

Twin Snakes was a joint development between Konami, Silicon Knights and Nintendo. The last of those three should tell you what chance it has of ever being ported to another platform.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Donnerberg posted:

PoOps has only one bit of interesting character development, and that's in the last fight when Big Boss realizes his goons will give their life for his lovely vision. They swoop in like the baby in Super Metroid and inflate his broken ego.

There. Now you don't have to suffer PoOps.
Seeing character development in Metal Gear is not important to me. I want to fight a football team and cyborg Arnolds.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

funkmeister posted:

Looking for this as well. I'm probably going to buy it for its resemblance to F.E.A.R., and the demo was good, but part of the demo was some optional arenas for some wave shooter action, and I didn't find those as fun as the story mission part of the demo, so I want to know the balance between story and optional arena stuff.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
where's trepang1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

e: Wouldn't mind seeing Ghost Babel and that should be really easy to emulate.
If anything, Ac!d is both early and late to the party when it comes to Deck-building card games.