Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Further Reading posted:

It's been a minute since I last did fluid dynamics but I think that's kind of a moot point because that pressure is hitting it from all sides. Like the force of the ocean is pushing up from below as well as down from above.

The main issue is that there's very few vehicles in the world capable of getting down that far and those that can are built for making videos for scientists rather than carrying heavy tubes filled with people.

But if it's at the bottom of the ocean, it's like in the sand, the ocean isn't pushing up, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Randallteal posted:

You'd hope their gruesome deaths would save some lives in the future, but honestly I would be shocked if this doesn't end up spiking interest in ocean floor tourist trap poo poo.

People are going to die going to see the people who died going to see the people who died on the titanic

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dr_rat posted:

Look, they have money, i'm not seeing the problem here. They should just order some more from amazon or something.

Sitting on the ocean floor hitting 'refresh' hoping they restock soon :f5:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'm from Buenos Aires and I say "pressurize em all!"

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Further Reading posted:

The main issue is that there's very few vehicles in the world capable of getting down that far

I got a vehicle right here that can get down pretty far... real far if you know what I mean, honey :biglips:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Anybody posted this blast from the past yet?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3005279&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Randallteal posted:

You'd hope their gruesome deaths would save some lives in the future, but honestly I would be shocked if this doesn't end up spiking interest in ocean floor tourist trap poo poo.

Well they might, considering one of the bouillons used to be the CEO of the company that built the submarine, and now nobody else will buy a deep sea submarine from them with a porthole certified for 1/3 of the target depth.

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Well they might, considering one of the bouillons used to be the CEO of the company that built the submarine, and now nobody else will buy a deep sea submarine from them with a porthole certified for 1/3 of the target depth.

Yeah you could say their ability to sell anything even if they are rescued has sunk considerably.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

...and now nobody else will buy a deep sea submarine from them with a porthole certified for 1/3 of the target depth.

Of course not, safety first, got to go with 1/2.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

free hubcaps posted:

People are going to die going to see the people who died going to see the people who died on the titanic

The reverse Everest

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I've been trying to figure out what this image of the grover sub reminds me of....

I think I figured it out... It's a blown out fleshlight butt toy....

For comparison:

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

The body count was lower in number but far higher in worth in that one :(

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Bad news guys, they found the sub and have tragically confirmed that elon musk was not onboard.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ComfyPants posted:

Billionaires learn one weird trick for getting a camel to pass through the eye of a needle

God

loving

drat

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I guess not all billionaires get a bail out.

trickle down economics finally works!

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Vampire Panties posted:

:crabcourse: somewhere nearby, an impossibly ancient crab smells something it hasn't in forever.. .:crabcourse:

Yeah this is a Halleys comet-like event for them.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

fullerene posted:

The body count was lower in number but far higher in worth in that one :(

God drat, that took a turn.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Cable Guy posted:

It's a blown out fleshlight butt toy....

N.M.S. Titanic

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

RIP to the billionaire, he was one of the good ones

Well the only good billionaire is a dead one so guess he's a good one now

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
the guy was messing around with the controller in the sub and the last thing any of them heard was the speakers saying FATALITY

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
How likely is it that the “banging” has anything to do with the sub?

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

steinrokkan posted:

That's correct, call off the search immediately.
No! I really want them to be rescued, so we can find out how many billionaires were eaten and how much poo poo, piss & puke everyone is covered in.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

the guy was messing around with the controller in the sub and the last thing any of them heard was the speakers saying FATALITY

*shao khan voice* YOU, SUCK(ed out of a crushed pretend submersible with maximum force)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The inside of the sub is atmospheric, the outside is 380 atmospheres. They were not sucked out, they were violently imploded.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Delthalaz posted:

From what I understand the banging is a "failsafe" that automatically goes off and makes the kind of noise that can be zeroed in on so the sub can be rescued

This should not be taken as evidence that

A. The sub is in one piece
B. The passengers are alive
C. The thumper is even attached to the sub

It is just a timer and a maracca, that's it

Also, y'all need to think about what pressure is and how it works,

Jestery fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 21, 2023

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Delthalaz posted:

It's probably a Big Daddy hitting a vent to get a Little Sister out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jestery posted:

From what I understand the banging is a "failsafe" that automatically goes off and makes the kind of noise that can be zeroed in on so the sub can be rescued

This should not be taken as evidence that

A. The sub is in one piece
B. The passengers are alive
C. The thumper is even attached to the sub

It is just a timer and a maracca, that's it

Also, D. The thumping heard was the beacon and not some other ocean noise

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, D. The thumping heard was the beacon and not some other ocean noise

While true, I think it seems to be regular which would be some evidence of it being the device in question

However , yes it could be some weird other thing that isn't the sub/device

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
This will be so disappointing if they are found alive and talking bullshit about how they innovated and worked together to overcome a crisis (i.e poo poo themselves with fear in the fartcoffin)

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Jestery posted:

While true, I think it seems to be regular which would be some evidence of it being the device in question

However , yes it could be some weird other thing that isn't the sub/device

It could be literally anything, it could even be a boat!

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

"We've heard from the Explorers Club, who are offering to help locate the submersible using remotely operated vehicles (ROV) or underwater robots from the UK's Magellan company (see previous post). The remote-operated vehicles can go as deep as 6,000 metres and have been to the wreckage of the Titanic before, Explorers Club president Richard Garriott has said."

Could this be Lord British's first success since UO? (No)

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This will be so disappointing if they are found alive and talking bullshit about how they innovated and worked together to overcome a crisis (i.e poo poo themselves with fear in the fartcoffin)

This is my biggest worry, if they survive they'll never stop talking about it, an endless series of cable news appearances, popping up on every talk-show to talk about their trauma and how they all banded together to survive against terrible odds

e.

Shoulda figured it wouldn't be too long before M'Lord showed up

Also the BBC reporting that their oxygen supply would've run out tomorrow at 10:00 (GMT) so I guess that's the point that they can be declared actually dead for sure 100% promise

Tijuana-A-Go-Go fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 21, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

Pakistani billionaire’s 19 year old son is on board. loving 19, basically still a kid.

The amount of joy some folks are taking in peoples (potentially live) suffering in this thread is a bit scary, including how I’ve been joining in and doing it as well.

Grown-rear end adults winning Darwin awards can be quite funny, but I feel sad for that kid, and if people are actively suffering painfully, I feel sad for them too.

These hand wringing posts are sappy as gently caress and groanworthy. It turns out with the incredible magic of nuance as a human being I can sympathize, empathize, and feel terrible for these people. This is about the worst way to go and it's a tragedy when anyone dies in an accident.

But I can also take joy in the irony that the billionaire who spent his stolen wealth to successfully lobby for de-regulation is dying in a completely unsafe and avoidable way is also completely appropriate and hilarious.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jestery posted:

An informative short doco on the subject (pro-click):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a01QQZyl-_I

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"Deregulated my lungs outta my body. Ain't nobody telling me HOW and WHEN I gotta breathe!"

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hotel Kpro posted:

It could be literally anything, it could even be a boat!

Yeah but if they are detecting on the half hour banging, and the sub was equipped with such a device, it certainly points at it being the source

Again, it could be as described and attached to a scrap of carbon fibre following ocean currents, but it at least supports the implosion theory rather than the surfaced and lost theory

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

OMFG FURRY posted:

wont someone please think of the billionaires

I'm thinking of them either asphyxiating or having been imploded.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They will never figure out what went wrong on this sub because it is a miracle things ever went right

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
Has anyone brought up that one of the only subs that's ever been this deep down (and deeper still) is owned by Gabe Newell? Because that feels insane to me, too.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jestery posted:

I'll bring up the USS Thresher case again, where some search and rescue ships repeated hearing regular banging and even garbled radio transmissions from the wreck of the Thresher for quite some time afterwards, and were convinced the ship was still intact with people waiting for rescue and trying to communicate.

Since then experiments and investigations have confirmed that the sub imploded in the blink of an eye, and the search and rescue boats were just confusing some other random sounds as signs of life from the Thresher.

e:

quote:

On 9 July 2021, the United States Navy declassified the narrative of the submarine Seawolf during the search for the Thresher. The Seawolf detected acoustic signals at 23.5 kHz and 3.5 kHz as well as metal banging noises which were interpreted at the time as originating from the Thresher. However, after the commander of Task Group 89.7 ordered that echo ranging and fathometers be secured so as to not interfere with the search, no further acoustic signals were detected by the Seawolf other than those originating from other searching ships and the submarine Sea Owl.

Ships make regular noises. There's plenty of ships in the area. I'm not saying it's impossible for the sub to still be intact, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Vengarr posted:

They will never figure out what went wrong on this sub because it is a miracle things ever went right

Bluetooth controller died