Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is there anything that clues you in that Sage upgrades are a thing? I found one randomly bimbling about somewhere a dozen hours ago and forgot about it, and I've found two more while doing the Lightning Islands, but I've never had someone introduce me to the idea. I knew it was a thing just from posting in here and from the lore bits I was kinda expecting it to be the reward for the Typhlo Ruins, but that just gave me a couple goodies (including a sword I should probably recognize from somewhere but absolutely do not.)

I'm halfway through the fifth dungeon now (was getting late after doing the first two parts last night) and maybe? hopefully? gonna beat the game tonight. I hate feeling rushed with these kinds of games, but man, I can run around Hyrule for ages and ages just exploring and bumping into people, I'm really trying to get myself to buckle down and follow the story without getting sidetracked. Final Fantasy comes out tomorrow, and Rogue Legacy just dropped for the Playstation, and man there's just too much I need to play to be able to drop another 40 hours on Zelda like I know I could.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Phenotype posted:

Is there anything that clues you in that Sage upgrades are a thing? I found one randomly bimbling about somewhere a dozen hours ago and forgot about it, and I've found two more while doing the Lightning Islands, but I've never had someone introduce me to the idea. I knew it was a thing just from posting in here and from the lore bits I was kinda expecting it to be the reward for the Typhlo Ruins, but that just gave me a couple goodies (including a sword I should probably recognize from somewhere but absolutely do not.)

I had no idea until I read it here in this forum and I was like, wait, what? I had thought I had pretty thoroughly explored all of the sky islands, but evidently not since I didn't come across a single one until I specifically sought them out.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I didn't know they were a thing until I randomly found one, yeah.

I'd be interested to see exactly how effective they are because I bet it's negligible at best.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Frankston posted:

I didn't know they were a thing until I randomly found one, yeah.

I'd be interested to see exactly how effective they are because I bet it's negligible at best.
Stats here: https://www.reddit.com/r/tearsofthekingdom/comments/14ct8kt/sage_attack_power_a_full_breakdown/

Turns out the helmets arent just cosmetic, they buff too.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Why don't they say that in the description? Annoying.

I would have liked for the upgrade to affect the cool down period, especially when I'm using Yunobu to blast open some of those endless rock walls in caves.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nihonniboku posted:

I would have liked for the upgrade to affect the cool down period, especially when I'm using Yunobu to blast open some of those endless rock walls in caves.

I just did one cave to get one of the clothing pieces in the Gerudo desert, and it took loving forever because it's a really long twisting hallway filled with rocks so if you didn't bother to get endless bombs beforehand, you'll just sit there slowly alternating between Yonubu and Riju. It was agony. Why with these stupid rock hallways in this game. They're so tedious for no reason

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Beat the game a couple weeks ago but I'm back in it just finishing all the shrines for fun and for the first time, I got honest-to-god stumped on a Shrine solution. The solution requires you to look at the ceiling, which has additional features in it for this shrine, something no other shrine had really made me do. Can't decide if I'm annoyed I got got or pleased that they managed to finally get me.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Macaluso posted:

I just did one cave to get one of the clothing pieces in the Gerudo desert, and it took loving forever because it's a really long twisting hallway filled with rocks so if you didn't bother to get endless bombs beforehand, you'll just sit there slowly alternating between Yonubu and Riju. It was agony. Why with these stupid rock hallways in this game. They're so tedious for no reason

Oh Riju can blow open rock walls? Good to know

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

That Dang Dad posted:

Beat the game a couple weeks ago but I'm back in it just finishing all the shrines for fun and for the first time, I got honest-to-god stumped on a Shrine solution. The solution requires you to look at the ceiling, which has additional features in it for this shrine, something no other shrine had really made me do. Can't decide if I'm annoyed I got got or pleased that they managed to finally get me.

I only got it because BOTW had 2 or 3 shrines where you had to do it or something similar.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

That Dang Dad posted:

I got stuck on that shrine where you have to walk into the laser. The description was "fear of falling" so I kept trying to jump off the side and glide to maybe a platform underneath. But nope, you have to walk into a laser trap that normally you would avoid, and it's not damaging it's a trigger but it doesn't make sense as a trigger since normally it's a damage laser.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I don't think the red lasers are damaging anywhere, they're always a trigger for a trap (at least I don't remember any that directly damage you). The fake out in the "courage to fall" shrine is that the first laser trap makes you fall to your death, but the one further in just drops you in the room underneath. It still took a bunch of trial and error for me until that light bulb went off.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

That Dang Dad posted:

This is literally the only shrine I had to look up a guide for. gently caress that shrine and the person who designed it.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Nihonniboku posted:

I remember Tulin says if Link wears it, it'll make him stronger too but agreed it should be in the description because you'll forget after 40 hours of play.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

LifeSunDeath posted:

I got stuck on that shrine where you have to walk into the laser. The description was "fear of falling" so I kept trying to jump off the side and glide to maybe a platform underneath. But nope, you have to walk into a laser trap that normally you would avoid, and it's not damaging it's a trigger but it doesn't make sense as a trigger since normally it's a damage laser.

That one took me a long time to puzzle out. For whatever reason the "courage to fall" shrine slogan FINALLY penetrated my skull

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Frankston posted:

This is literally the only shrine I had to look up a guide for. gently caress that shrine and the person who designed it.

doesn’t the title of that shrine tell you what to do

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Augus posted:

Probably, I had a habit of looking at my phone whilst waiting for shrines to load so I missed a lot of the shrine names.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Augus posted:

I really want to know which one it is, because I'm drawing a blank.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I checked underneath every laser trap for secrets even before finding that shrine. La Mulana trained me well and I thank it for its many lessons

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Papiibo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

I don't think the red lasers are damaging anywhere, they're always a trigger for a trap (at least I don't remember any that directly damage you). The fake out in the "courage to fall" shrine is that the first laser trap makes you fall to your death, but the one further in just drops you in the room underneath. It still took a bunch of trial and error for me until that light bulb went off.

At no point in any of the dungeon up to that point did I touch a laser. I just assumed okay the laser is bad, I'll avoid it. And so anytime I encountered them I just avoided them. I assumed they'd hurt me. So when I got to this particular shrine I spent forever trying to figure out what on earth the solution could be. I eventually had to look it up. In a million years I would never have though to try and activate the lasers on my own.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I know lasers are bad and can hurt me. I also know nothing can hurt me and doing damaging things is often the path of great fun. Your first instinct in a game, unless it's a you die in real life scenario, should be to hit the lasers and see what happens.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

At no point in any of the dungeon up to that point did I touch a laser. I just assumed okay the laser is bad, I'll avoid it. And so anytime I encountered them I just avoided them. I assumed they'd hurt me. So when I got to this particular shrine I spent forever trying to figure out what on earth the solution could be. I eventually had to look it up. In a million years I would never have though to try and activate the lasers on my own.

half a heart lost, a risk truly worse than death

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the “end” of the shrine has a highly conspicuous grating that lets you see down to a seemingly inaccessible lower floor for god’s sake

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Oxxidation posted:

the “end” of the shrine has a highly conspicuous grating that lets you see down to a seemingly inaccessible lower floor for god’s sake

For that one, i had jumped over all the lasers so I didn't know they opened a trap door. I thought they were like trip mines that exploded haha

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tokelau All Star posted:

I only got it because BOTW had 2 or 3 shrines where you had to do it or something similar.

:same:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The damage scaling in the game is weird. It always feels out of nowhere when things either deal 1/4 heart, a full heart, or 1/3 of your entire life bar.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

That Dang Dad posted:

For that one, i had jumped over all the lasers so I didn't know they opened a trap door. I thought they were like trip mines that exploded haha

yes so did everyone. The difference comes from the gamer excited to see what being blown up with lasers is like and the kind who has a yellow belly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The damage scaling in the game is weird. It always feels out of nowhere when things either deal 1/4 heart, a full heart, or 1/3 of your entire life bar.
Its so volatile. A silver lynel deals something like 76. So at 60 armor you lose 4 hearts and at 76 armor you lose 1/4 of a heart, 25% more armor leading to a 93% reduction in damage.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
meanwhile the final boss of the game hits like a tissue, barely half a heart on direct hit

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

half a heart lost, a risk truly worse than death

I mean sure, but I just never thought to even be like "what will happen if I try to touch a laser" just because it wouldn't hurt that much

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I simply got confused and tried to jump over the laser you're supposed to duck under

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Vanadium posted:

Maps! You can kinda tell some places where I could just not figure out the puzzle.

You know I never pressed Y in hero's path mode before. That makes it so much more readable. How have I not been to all these places.

69.42% completion, 52/60 side adventures, 79/139 side quests. My compendium looks like poo poo though. :(

I'm relieved to see y'all haven't found a way into that one chunk of the depths either.

Got curious because I realized I hadn't either, there is a cave hidden behind a bunch of trees. Pretty boring down there.

I did enjoy wandering around the smaller island though, there are a bunch of crows that seem to have been collecting shiny flint and arrows :allears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I mean sure, but I just never thought to even be like "what will happen if I try to touch a laser" just because it wouldn't hurt that much

aren't you curious though? what if it was a shrink laser? or let you get sliced in half?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Any point in doing the boss refights in the depths a second time apart from the weapon fuse?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Not that I found. And sadly I don't think their parts are actually that good endgame? Better than average for sure but for my final batch of weapon fuses I just stick with Lynel Katanas since they seemed higher damage than any of my pristine boss chunk weapons.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tayter Swift posted:

Any point in doing the boss refights in the depths a second time apart from the weapon fuse?

The huge zonai crystal you get in the chest might be worth the dozen arrows it takes to fight Colgera

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

All of them have chests. Some of them have armor I think, and some of them have the the thing to get 100 crystalized battery whatevers

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Khanstant posted:

yes so did everyone. The difference comes from the gamer excited to see what being blown up with lasers is like and the kind who has a yellow belly.

i only had four hearts... i was weak! weak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I’m also assuming they’re there for pictures in case you’re an idiot like me and forgot the first go-round.