Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How long will it take to reach Titanic? 2 hours

Will the CEO be killed? Yes

Total passenger civillian casualties: 500 dead

Total rescuer casualties Canada: 3000 dead

Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead

Will the sub ballast release work? No

Will the passengers resist eating the corpses of the dead? No

Will chem/bio weapons be created from melting electrical equipment? Yes

Will killer whales attack the sub? Yes

Will killer whales attack the mother ship? No

-If yes; will mother ship retaliate harshly? Yes

Will the company sacrifice the sub (gas/nuke it)? No

Will the crabs make a grab for independence? Yes

Will the mother ship do anything silly like try to steam for land? Yes

Will OceanGate burn the corporate documents? Yes

How long will the US be searching for the sub? ~15 years

Will the Titan incident catalyze increased deep sea tourism in America? Yes

In the long run, will this accident be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A veteran diver exploding due to pressure hull cracking open.

2) A billionaire son is killed when their sub is targetting by a column of water and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A billionaire slave trader eaten by crabs

4) A multimillionaire paying $250k to be buried alive in a glorified barrel

5) A scammer CEO dies because his Logitech submarine controller fell apart

6) A billionaire is eaten by other survivors after drawing lots

7) A billionaire is spooked to death by the ghosts of the passengers of Titanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

Fiverr-rear end submersible

Next version of the Titan will be even cheaper to produce, they will rely on ChatGPT to comeup with the design.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Klyith posted:

They directly said their design philosophy is "most accidents are caused by human error, so don't bother trying to accident-proof the hardware".

Lol with this philosophy being a human error, debatably this still tracks.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Skippy McPants posted:

Again, by way of contrast, the interior of Limiting Factor, complete with... chairs!

I assume they went with a cylinder over a sphere so they could fit more people in, stuffs like seats and straps might limit them to only three passengers rather than four. That's 250k fewer buckaroos per trip!

What if you tied like, 2 fully enclosed spheres together? Wouldn't that be better than a cylinder? Or wait, attach the 2 spheres to the cylinder in an underhanging configuration for better stability.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

This last weekend I got to see two of the Ohio-class submarines up close-ish and thought to myself even with how big those fuckers are I’d probably freak out a little in one.

I cannot fathom sitting in a tiny rear end tube while a billionaire cries whilst making GBS threads behind a little curtain and hearing the hull, and him, groan for the last time.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Animal-Mother posted:

The laaaast of Grover's Privateers...

Oh the year was 20 and 23
How I wish I were in St. John's now

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sound on lol

https://twitter.com/polygonalshivs/status/1671502578067095555?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

:perfect:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I like to imagine if there are ghosts on the Titanic, they're watching this tube bounce around and sink. Eventually the 5 ghosts will make it over to the ship, desperate to finally see it. Only to be asked for their boarding passes, and then sent away.

This entire thing reads like a million dollar NAILED IT. Like, it LOOKS easy to make a sub because how many of us can make a little boat sink in the bathtub? And it bounces right back up! Or for the more manually inclined, go swim in a lake and then the ocean; it's just a matter of a weight belt so you sink the right level. So put weights on a boat that is all closed up, it can't be harder than that!

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

I saw the headlines and kinda shrugged and went "that's a bad way to go"

Then saw this thread, and apparently this entire venture is just :psyduck: all the way down

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Flashbacks to my childhood

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cowslips Warren posted:

I like to imagine if there are ghosts on the Titanic, they're watching this tube bounce around and sink. Eventually the 5 ghosts will make it over to the ship, desperate to finally see it. Only to be asked for their boarding passes, and then sent away.

This entire thing reads like a million dollar NAILED IT. Like, it LOOKS easy to make a sub because how many of us can make a little boat sink in the bathtub? And it bounces right back up! Or for the more manually inclined, go swim in a lake and then the ocean; it's just a matter of a weight belt so you sink the right level. So put weights on a boat that is all closed up, it can't be harder than that!

ghost with Irish accent: "Yer sub is a little bit shite"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've seen multiple posts here now about the sub having an automatic dune thumper strapped to the hull that auto activates in an emergency

where is that info from?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I keep coming back to the ballast release. While a mechanical linkage originating in the compartment is out couldn't they have engineered a radio frequency or bluetooth connection that releases the ballast, or anything other than everyone start rocking the tube? Assuming the tube holds under pressure and oxygen is present getting back up every drat time is the most important part. Not having a homing beacon for quick surface location too is just dumb. I don't get it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This will make a decent movie at some point. Intersect the scenes in the sub with an investigation plot that goes into the shade practices of the company.

In a twist reveal towards the end, the CEO pulls out a gun from a hidden compartment and says there is only enough oxygen for one person to survive until rescue. They fight and overwhelm and kill bim and decide to die together instead of killing each other. The billionaires had to travel all the way to the ocean floor to find the humanity in themselves! "DIVE", in theaters by summer 2025

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The billionaire stepson is now hornyposting

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I keep coming back to the ballast release. While a mechanical linkage originating in the compartment is out couldn't they have engineered a radio frequency or bluetooth connection that releases the ballast, or anything other than everyone start rocking the tube? Assuming the tube holds under pressure and oxygen is present getting back up every drat time is the most important part. Not having a homing beacon for quick surface location too is just dumb. I don't get it.

i always program my ballast releases to sync with twitch subs

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Splorange posted:

I saw the headlines and kinda shrugged and went "that's a bad way to go"

Then saw this thread, and apparently this entire venture is just :psyduck: all the way down

Yeah, if it was a normal, properly equipped and rated submarine that was just unfortunate enough to suffer an unexpected but catastrophic failure, I think most of us would be "oh man that's terrible, what a horrible way to go".

This, however, is the epitome of billionaire "innovator" hubris, combined with the visible results of what happens when you ignore or try to weaken regulations and dismiss the advice of experts. Nobody should be feeling sorry for these people, they should be holding them up as yet another example of how being rich doesn't necessarily also mean being a genius.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

smellmycheese posted:

Yep.

UFOTacoMan posted:

my man has a lot going on
redacted for the work homies

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Just a day after hunter Biden is convicted of gun charges the boat sinks

What did they know

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Canuckistan posted:

Oh the year was 20 and 23
How I wish I were in St. John's now

A letter of marque came from Dubai
This time from an actual Pedo Guy

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

smellmycheese posted:

19 years old and your insanely rich stepfather is dead, you're just waiting for the paperwork to go through at this point. Dude is living for the moment.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bluetooth connection that releases the ballast

As someone who works on creating Bluetooth devices, the thought of relying on it for a life saving emergency measure makes me throw up a bit in my mouth.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

A letter of marque came from Dubai
This time from an actual Pedo Guy

Goddamn them all!
I was told we'd dive to see the Titanic mould
We'd get clout, and many cheers!
Now I'm stuck in a can, soon dead I fear
The last of Grover's privateers!

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WH8mHJnhM

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

What is gonna happen to corpses in an oxygen less environment that is presumably free ish from the things that help to decompose bodies?

lol no, fish and crabs and fangaling horrors and poo poo will pick their bones clean of their imploded bodies.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 21, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

19 years old and your insanely rich stepfather is dead, you're just waiting for the paperwork to go through at this point. Dude is living for the moment.

It's his step father. He's not getting poo poo lol

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Sydin posted:

It's worse: the dipshit CEO decided to make the sub out of carbon fibers because NASA but not only is this apparently a miserable material for high pressure environments, when it does fail to pressure it does so quickly, catastrophically, and shatters rather than bending or cracking. So it's entirely possible that all you could find is thousands of shattered pieces of carbon fiber, the titanium sealing ring/hatch, some early 2000's gaming and audio equipment, and some greasy pockets of red jelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4RLOo6bchU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if elon can bounce back from being elon logitech will be fine

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, if it was a normal, properly equipped and rated submarine that was just unfortunate enough to suffer an unexpected but catastrophic failure, I think most of us would be "oh man that's terrible, what a horrible way to go".

This, however, is the epitome of billionaire "innovator" hubris, combined with the visible results of what happens when you ignore or try to weaken regulations and dismiss the advice of experts. Nobody should be feeling sorry for these people, they should be holding them up as yet another example of how being rich doesn't necessarily also mean being a genius.

Yeah, it's this.

Every extra detail that comes out about how shoddy and unsafe pretty much every design choice that was made in building this thing just blows my mind even more. I feel bad for the 19 year old - he's barely more than a kid, but the others were mature adults making extremely bad choices with their eyes open.

I understand that piloting duty was done on a three person rotation, and this particular dive, it was the lunatic CEO in change, which is a relief. Far better it be him than a company employee.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

A Fancy Hat posted:

he is 37

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/investigations/san-diego-county-sued-for-medical-neglect/509-ad1e9c2d-bb38-4734-a59d-ab9b0f12a81b

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

"I am going to die in here"

The French used a guillotine.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

37 years old, and still saying salacious things to e-girls?!

...I guess you never outgrow horny.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Willatron posted:

Goddamn them all!
I was told we'd dive to see the Titanic mould
We'd get clout, and many cheers!
Now I'm stuck in a can, soon dead I fear
The last of Grover's privateers!

Oh the titan sub was a sickening sight
(How i wish i was in st John's now)
She'd a bucket at the front and pipes to the side
And a logitech control to steer the ride

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

I think maybe the sub just wasn't innovative enough. We need another billionaire to also build their own janky-rear end sub to show everyone that, actually, unregulated diving vessels are absolutely fine. It might take a few more goes but we'll get there eventually!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Your minds are too green, I despise what I've seen
You can't stake your lives on a Bluetooth machine.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
It's funny that the 'good' sub Limiting Factor cost $37 million to build....not that much really, pocket change for a billionaire. Probably should stick with that instead of the janky sub.

I wanted to say they’ll have send Nelson and the Seaview to try to rescue them, but turns out Seaview is only good to 4500 feet so tough poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they didn't know which wifi to use between

FBI Surveillance Van

FUCKOFF

KappaDeltaMuGURLZ

Netgear2.0

Titanic-Guest

Titanic-5G

Titanic-Staff

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

I'm not going to let this effortpost go unappreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Here's a video from a Spanish influencer that went on a trip last year. They have an issue on descent and the pilot drops one of the sandbag ballasts with the bluetooth controller.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAncVNaw5N0&t=447s