Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Reviews are trending fairly high: https://opencritic.com/game/14516/final-fantasy-xvi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Polygon title header says the story is awful and Push Square says the sidequests are terrible. The latter might not be surprising but I wonder what Polygon hates about it, haven't read it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

triple sulk posted:

Polygon title header says the story is awful and Push Square says the sidequests are terrible. The latter might not be surprising but I wonder what Polygon hates about it, haven't read it.

Gita Jackson is the reviewer for Polygon and I've disagreed with their takes on a lot of games even if I find them to be an incredibly thoughtful and compelling writer so I think this is just another one of those times.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Not really spoiler per se but I'll put the Polygon article's final bit in tags

quote:

It’s just that I have seen this exact story before, almost beat for beat — not just in novels but in movies, songs, video games, and even other Final Fantasy games. In fact, Final Fantasy 16 reproduces some of the same plot beats from Final Fantasy 14, for which 16 producer Naoki Yoshida serves as director.

As the credits rolled, I threw my hands up in the air, totally unmoved by a resolution I didn’t feel like Final Fantasy 16 had earned. Then, after a few minutes and some hand stretches, I restarted with new game plus. I selected the highest difficulty. I skipped every single cutscene, diving into the action instead, using my very specifically designed set of Eikonic powers to murderize mobs and bosses alike, and thought to myself, Why had this game felt like such a chore just a minute ago? Then I let a cutscene play out, felt my eyelids grow heavier, my exhaustion finally mounting, until I nodded off on the couch.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

triple sulk posted:

I read through it, (minor plot structure spoilers) reviewer said that they didn't like that the subplot about the Branded wasn't very focused on and that there was a classic end-of-the-world plot finale.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

TechRaptor says the gameplay it terrible. Every part of the game confirmed bad. Fail game.

Game good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

triple sulk posted:

Reading it, they appear to have completely misread or missed a number of plot points, including claiming the "Bearer" subplot vanishes and not that it isn't literally a center focus of most of the game. Like there are some things which I can agree with but unless you skip a whole bunch of plot that is objectively untrue.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

ImpAtom posted:

Reading it, they appear to have completely misread or missed a number of plot points, including claiming the "Bearer" subplot vanishes and not that it isn't literally a center focus of most of the game. Like there are some things which I can agree with but unless you skip a whole bunch of plot that is objectively untrue.

They also seem to not really be a fan of the active time lore system (calling it an "in-game wiki") which to me was one of the best parts of the demo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shredder posted:

My only complaints are the english voices (I switched it to japanese, much better) and the text was kinda small/hard to read with that font. Hopefully there's a setting to make it bigger, I didn't check.

It's funny because I literally play every game in Japanese audio but pretty sure this game's main va is English because of the lip synching. I did play the demo in Japanese first it was decent but I thought the English was better than the usual English.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's a shame because I usually like to have a look at Polygon's reviews, guess I'll see what their podcast has to say about it because those are a completely different set of guys who might have an opposite opinion.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Gita Jackson is a very silly individual, if memory serves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rosalind posted:

They also seem to not really be a fan of the active time lore system (calling it an "in-game wiki") which to me was one of the best parts of the demo.

That at least I can understand since there is stuff that is consigned largely to the ATL stuff. I thought it was neat but I'm sure it will annoy some people.

Saying that the game ignores the Bearer plot seems to ignore the... central focus of the game being that and 95% of sidequests dealing with it in some shape or form all the way until the end of the game.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

ImpAtom posted:

That at least I can understand since there is stuff that is consigned largely to the ATL stuff. I thought it was neat but I'm sure it will annoy some people.

Is there an indicator when ATL has been updated or do I have to keep pausing to see if a new popup is there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

Is there an indicator when ATL has been updated or do I have to keep pausing to see if a new popup is there

It generally updates by scene but you can review it at your base.

That said there are two cases where it spoiled something in advance for me. One was revealing the name of a major villain long before they appeared and another was revealing a character death before it happened. (Though in the latter case it wasn't a huge surprise.)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rosalind posted:

Gita Jackson is the reviewer for Polygon and I've disagreed with their takes on a lot of games even if I find them to be an incredibly thoughtful and compelling writer so I think this is just another one of those times.

Gita can sometimes have some incredibly hot takes, and some incredibly dumb takes, and frequently a mix of the two.

I personally really liked the game. The action is, as everyone who played the demo knows, incredible. The story was good for the most part. Some parts drag a bit, but the highs are incredibly high and it features one of my favourite characters in Final Fantasy history. I would second ImpAtom's comments about the equipment, and the crafting system as a whole. It's so barebones they could've just automatically handed you better equipment as the game progresses, because that's what you end up with but with a few more button presses.

I'm ride or die for Final Fantasy XIV and I won't even try to compare the two, but let's just say that this is easily the best mainline Final Fantasy in bloody ages, and a huge improvement over FFXV.

The English voice acting is incredibly good across the board and Ralph Ineson is excellent as Cid.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I care the most about the music and it seems like the one thing with near universal praise.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SettingSun posted:

I care the most about the music and it seems like the one thing with near universal praise.

It is very good and as a long time Final Fantasy XIV enjoyer I was delighted to spot leitmotifs from it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Gita can sometimes have some incredibly hot takes, and some incredibly dumb takes, and frequently a mix of the two.

I personally really liked the game. The action is, as everyone who played the demo knows, incredible. The story was good for the most part. Some parts drag down a bit, but the highs are incredibly high and features one of my favourite characters in Final Fantasy history. I would second ImpAtom's comments about the equipment, and the crafting system as a whole. It's so barebones they could've just automatically handed you better equipment as the game progresses, because that's what you end up with but with a few more button presses.

I'm ride or die for Final Fantasy XIV and I won't even try to compare the two, but let's just say that this is easily the best mainline Final Fantasy in bloody ages, and a huge improvement over FFXV.

Yeah to note about equipment:
The game literally hands you the material to upgrade your weapon after boss fights so you will always be able to hit the expected power. There are a small handful of areas where you can get sidequest equipment that is better than what you have but that lasts until usually the next major dungeon.

As a side note:
The game is structured exactly like a FFXIV expansion. Wider field areas where you can do sidequests and plot, followed by a largely linear dungeon with multiple boss fights, followed by a trip back to the NotWakingSands, repeat. Eikon Battles kind of replace Trials except there are more of them.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It is very good and as a long time Final Fantasy XIV enjoyer I was delighted to spot leitmotifs from it.

Oh hell yeah

ImpAtom posted:

It generally updates by scene but you can review it at your base.

That said there are two cases where it spoiled something in advance for me. One was revealing the name of a major villain long before they appeared and another was revealing a character death before it happened. (Though in the latter case it wasn't a huge surprise.)

Good to know; appreciated!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

SettingSun posted:

soken is a fuckin god at this point

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

My soul will ascend playing this game, I know it will

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
“Why is the zillion dollar video game not a complete and thorough treatise on the evils of slavery? In this essay, I—“

In all seriousness, I am pretty amused that this game is going to irritate internet content mill cogs who think “hates GoT” is some kind of academic qualification.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

bloodysabbath posted:

“Why is the zillion dollar video game not a complete and thorough treatise on the evils of slavery? In this essay, I—“

It does scream "single-issue voter".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ImpAtom posted:

As a side note:
The game is structured exactly like a FFXIV expansion. Wider field areas where you can do sidequests and plot, followed by a largely linear dungeon with multiple boss fights, followed by a trip back to the NotWakingSands, repeat. Eikon Battles kind of replace Trials except there are more of them.

Yep. The direction and style of the cutscenes is also extremely Final Fantasy XIV. It seriously feels like Final Fantasy XIV with Devil May Cry combat.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yep. The direction and style of the cutscenes is also extremely Final Fantasy XIV. It seriously feels like Final Fantasy XIV with Devil May Cry combat.

This sounds amazing.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's like they made a game specifically tailored to my tastes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
reviews of big name jrpg’s are always tiresome because half the articles seem to be written by people with no familiarity or interest in the genre and half the remainder are curmudgeons grousing that it’s not enough like games from 1999

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ImpAtom posted:

The game is extremely good.
It is far more Final Fantasy than it is GoT.
My one big complaint is that the actual equipment/RPG stuff is very barebones. You basically just keep equipping better swords/armor/etc with no thought and 90% of the accessories are (X) skill +10% damage/-2 second cooldown/etc. There are a couple that are pretty cool but most are fairly basic. Final Fantasy mode lets you upgrade almost every accessory but all it does is double the effect of the accessory. (So a -2 second cooldown becomes -4 second, +5% becomes +10%, etc.)

I saw in one of the gameplay videos that the player just randomly picked up a sword in a dungeon and I worried it would be like that. Do the skill trees and different eikonic powers make up for it to some degree?

I thought the producer said at one point that being able to plan out and set up combos like in ff5 was a design focus, which raised my hopes for strong rpg mechanics.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Only thing I need to know with the weapons, do new weapons show up on Clive?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Skeezy posted:

I don’t look forward to the inevitable eyesore ridiculous looking ultimate weapon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Skeezy posted:

We've seen several different swords in gameplay trailers so I'd say so

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah I deliberately skipped on playing the demo and watching much but that is one thing I needed to know ahead of time.

Not of fan of games that don't change weapons/armor as you get them.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Eurogamer also gave a middling review, with the complaints being a story that drags a bit and sidequests. That said I only read the last paragraph (which I tend to do) in the review so don't quote me on this.

Honestly I tend to look at reviews as a general vibe; like if it has mostly positive reviews then I am comfortable getting the game, if it is middling then there is something I should know, etc. It is okay to not like a popular game and vice versa, and I feel it is a little dangerous to hold up a review as proof of the quality of a game (or lack thereof) because ???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I saw in one of the gameplay videos that the player just randomly picked up a sword in a dungeon and I worried it would be like that. Do the skill trees and different eikonic powers make up for it to some degree?

I thought the producer said at one point that being able to plan out and set up combos like in ff5 was a design focus, which raised my hopes for strong rpg mechanics.

I think so.

Effectively you get 6 skill slots which are tied to three different and every Eikon has 4 skills, which (LOOSELY) translate to Single Target, Multi-Target, Utility and Limit Break/Summon Attack. By default you can only use a skill if you have the Eikon equipped but once you Master it you can equip it on anything. Limit Breaks cost more to Master than anything else but usually have significantly greater effects. (Though often significantly greater cooldowns.) You can respec at any time and reassign your points so there's no limiting yourself really.

I found myself changing up my skills a lot throughout the game to find what I liked most though by the end of Final Fantasy I'd effectively found a skillset that broke the game and let me kill anything that wasn't a Big Boss in a single Break window.

Skeezy posted:

Yes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't really mind if equipment is fairly shallow and linear. What I've learned over time is that it feels good to find upgrades either in shops or by finding them during exploration, even if the items themselves aren't interesting and there's no real decisions to make. I prefer an interesting equipment system, but weirdly I think I prefer a boring gear system over none at all, too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Eurogamer also gave a middling review, with the complaints being a story that drags a bit and sidequests. That said I only read the last paragraph (which I tend to do) in the review so don't quote me on this.

Honestly I tend to look at reviews as a general vibe; like if it has mostly positive reviews then I am comfortable getting the game, if it is middling then there is something I should know, etc. It is okay to not like a popular game and vice versa, and I feel it is a little dangerous to hold up a review as proof of the quality of a game (or lack thereof) because ???

that was one of the curmudgeons. it spent a lot of time wishing it was in the party-based format with a couple paragraphs set aside to call it racist

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

I don't really mind if equipment is fairly shallow and linear. What I've learned over time is that it feels good to find upgrades either in shops or by finding them during exploration, even if the items themselves aren't interesting and there's no real decisions to make. I prefer an interesting equipment system, but weirdly I think I prefer a boring gear system over none at all, too.
Yeah I'm cool with there not being interesting gearing decisions in FF14 and I'm probably cool with it here as well.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I think so.

Effectively you get 6 skill slots which are tied to three different and every Eikon has 4 skills, which (LOOSELY) translate to Single Target, Multi-Target, Utility and Limit Break/Summon Attack. By default you can only use a skill if you have the Eikon equipped but once you Master it you can equip it on anything. Limit Breaks cost more to Master than anything else but usually have significantly greater effects. (Though often significantly greater cooldowns.) You can respec at any time and reassign your points so there's no limiting yourself really.

I found myself changing up my skills a lot throughout the game to find what I liked most though by the end of Final Fantasy I'd effectively found a skillset that broke the game and let me kill anything that wasn't a Big Boss in a single Break window.

Thanks! How about the rate at which you get skill points? Does progression stay satisfying all the way through ng+?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing I really do want to stress though:

This game is extremely loving Final Fantasy. If you played FF14 you know the sort of tone and escalation you can look forward to but Eikon battles in particular are the most Platinum Games thing since Metal Gear Rising but with twice the budget.

Also one thing that isn't necessarily clear: Outside of the first battle as Ifrit, the Eikon battles all have their own shared dedicated combat system that basically plays like a souped-up version of the Fire Eikon skillset Clive has. It works pretty well for what it is but you're not getting a unique thing each time and they instead focused on making them feel largely like insanely scaled up versions of your basic combat abilities

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Thanks! How about the rate at which you get skill points? Does progression stay satisfying all the way through ng+?

Depends on if you're doing sidequests but pretty quickly. You'll have enough to mix-and-match anything but limit breaks (and you can probably fit one or two Mastered in there) before the end of a standard playthrough and NG+ basically lets you start really meshing everything in.

I will note that despite doing all sidequests both times I did not have enough skill points to fully Master every skill in every tree but it was pretty darn close and also that is completely pointless to do because you only have 6 slots anyway.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Oxxidation posted:

that was one of the curmudgeons. it spent a lot of time wishing it was in the party-based format with a couple paragraphs set aside to call it racist

Ah, that is a bit of a shame. I usually like Eurogamer for their reviews.