Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mondomole posted:

In this particular case, spot on. I can definitely come up with bad labels; the question is how much worse are they than existing ones and doing it by hand. One key challenge is that you can probably extract the most value from recent entities that aren't followed by anybody, but these also won't be in the GPT-4 dataset. In principle this is solvable since you can summarize the last N years of "important product developments" using quarterly filings by feeding in those filings and asking GPT-4 to label the entities before moving on to the sentiment prompts. But right now it's not practical to do this for all companies and then also give all company context before every prompt. This gets into the realm of needing to train your own models, and right now it's not cost effective to do that for what we would gain, which is some super noisy estimate of "good" or "bad." If Moore's law manages to kick in here, I can see how in a few generations of GPT we might be able to automate a lot of this kind of work.

sorry, when i wrote "there" i was referring to that style of query rather than the specific example you used

i'm curious why the roi on training your own model is so low though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mondomole
Jun 16, 2023

Beeftweeter posted:

what happens if you ask it to explain why it rated that a -7? why not, idk, -3? any consistency to the ratings?

Good question and honestly I have no idea! I haven't studied this problem in any amount of detail. The real answer would be to do this for years and years of headlines and then do some sort of correlation study between the gathered ratings and future returns. There's a conceptual problem which is that for trading we need point in time correctness (i.e. today we shouldn't be allowed to use any of tomorrow's data), but GPT-4 doesn't have this restriction. To make this concrete, imagine that the above headline were real and Phizer went bankrupt as a result. Also imagine that the bankruptcy was covered by the GPT-4 training dataset. Then maybe it would have assigned a -10 score months on neutral headlines months or years ahead of the eventual bankruptcy because of a future event that would not have been knowable as an investor at that point in time. GPT would look like a genius, but this wouldn't be a realistic assessment of its true performance. Honestly, short of training all models ourselves point in time (i.e. spend a bajillion dollars) I'm not sure this is doable at this point in the Moore's law curve.

At some point the value of the explanation also becomes philosophical. I mainly subscribe to the view that GPT-4 is mechanical turk++ with super bullshitting abilities. At least with net negative or net positive, I can manually verify the result. But for explanations, I'm sure that one or two generations of GPT later, it'll be able to out-bullshit my bullshit detector fairly consistently.

infernal machines posted:

sorry, when i wrote "there" i was referring to that style of query rather than the specific example you used
i'm curious why the roi on training your own model is so low though

Oh got it. It's good at entity matching based on very, very limited testing. Definitely good at common consumer brands (not too surprising), drug names (more surprising), and some weird industry-specific stuff like lawn mower blade manufacturers (very surprising). My impression is that if it's something a fifth grader might be able to glean from reading a paragraph where the exact entity is linked to the exact company in some way (or rather, reading every paragraph in digital existence since the beginning of time) then it can probably make the connection later on. Anything beyond that feels like it's BSing you.

As for the ROI, I think part of it is that something like good vs bad news is only one dimension of what's driving market activity. For example, if you see absolutely awful news, say -10 on some company, the stock may rally because it's still a better outcome than what everybody expected. And then there's second order effects: if everybody else knows you are watching the news, then they will try to anticipate your trading and the effect may disappear entirely; and for something like good vs bad news, this is something that's been out for so long that there are plenty of people watching carefully. So net net it's not exactly gimmick level, but definitely not a big enough advantage to burn the amount of money needed to scale it up, unless you already happen to be sitting on enough compute capacity to try it out (scarily enough, many competitors are big enough to do this).

mondomole fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 20, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mondomole posted:

Good question and honestly I have no idea! I haven't studied this problem in any amount of detail. The real answer would be to do this for years and years of headlines and then do some sort of correlation study between the gathered ratings and future returns. There's a conceptual problem which is that for trading we need point in time correctness (i.e. today we shouldn't be allowed to use any of tomorrow's data), but GPT-4 doesn't have this restriction. To make this concrete, imagine that the above headline were real and Phizer went bankrupt as a result. Also imagine that the bankruptcy was covered by the GPT-4 training dataset. Then maybe it would have assigned a -10 score months on neutral headlines months or years ahead of the eventual bankruptcy because of a future event that would not have been knowable as an investor at that point in time. GPT would look like a genius, but this wouldn't be a realistic assessment of its true performance. Honestly, short of training all models ourselves point in time (i.e. spend a bajillion dollars) I'm not sure this is doable at this point in the Moore's law curve.

At some point the value of the explanation also becomes philosophical. I mainly subscribe to the view that GPT-4 is mechanical turk++ with super bullshitting abilities. At least with net negative or net positive, I can manually verify the result. But for explanations, I'm sure that one or two generations of GPT later, it'll be able to out-bullshit my bullshit detector fairly consistently.

my point was more that i'm not sure you could trust it to rank something like that. you could definitely give it pretty strict parameters for "good" and "bad" — i mean, you'd need to, it's subjective — but even then it's not capable of reasoning and it frequently gets number representation wrong by changing which digits appear where, just to name one example

i posted this in the tech bubble thread, but "hallucinatory" data remains a problem to the tune of encompassing about 30% of summarized responses, and i don't see how a LLM would make a subjective ranking without first generating its own "summary". that seems pretty bad when presumably a lot of money is on the line, but maybe the existing mechanisms for that kind of thing are even worse :shrug:

mondomole
Jun 16, 2023

Beeftweeter posted:

my point was more that i'm not sure you could trust it to rank something like that. you could definitely give it pretty strict parameters for "good" and "bad" — i mean, you'd need to, it's subjective — but even then it's not capable of reasoning and it frequently gets number representation wrong by changing which digits appear where, just to name one example

i posted this in the tech bubble thread, but "hallucinatory" data remains a problem to the tune of encompassing about 30% of summarized responses, and i don't see how a LLM would make a subjective ranking without first generating its own "summary". that seems pretty bad when presumably a lot of money is on the line, but maybe the existing mechanisms for that kind of thing are even worse :shrug:

Oh I see your point. Yeah the existing mechanisms are like: "if headline has UPGRADE then return good". So in that sense the hallucinations are probably still better than what's being used right now.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
one thing that the researchers found to be particularly bad were summaries that had related data within the training dataset (since the paper is from 2022, the latest version of gpt they analyzed was gpt-3). for established public companies it's virtually certain their old financial data exists within the set. iirc when working with data like that about 62% of responses contained extraneous information

on top of that, the problem isn't that they just didn't really accurately summarize the data they were given, it's that they spit out something else entirely, 30% of the time. what if it's fed an article about a company that just announced bankruptcy and instead makes a judgement based upon its own bullshit hallucination about how it just had the best quarter ever?

e: i mean, i get that a quick "good/bad" judgement based on a news article is the goal, but right now i doubt it's very capable of that

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 20, 2023

mondomole
Jun 16, 2023

Beeftweeter posted:

e: i mean, i get that a quick "good/bad" judgement based on a news article is the goal, but right now i doubt it's very capable of that

This is really interesting to read. It sounds possible, maybe even likely that a) we (as in my small crew, not some mega company) will never have the money to train the number of point in time models needed to do a true backtest, and b) even if we did, we may find that outside of the really easy “good path”examples, the performance is substantially worse in both absolute performance and performance per unit cost compared to manual or existing semi-automatic solutions.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
this paper is pretty good too and shows some problems with summarizing numerical data https://aclanthology.org/2020.findings-emnlp.203.pdf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
stuff like this seems tailor made to disrupt your model

https://newsletterhunt.com/emails/32298 posted:

UnTRustworthy
I guess one trade you could do is, like, you incorporate a company called Renaisssance Technologies LLC, and you register a domain like rentech.com, and you send out letters to a bunch of big institutional allocators and high-net-worth individuals saying “good news, Renaisssance Technologies is opening its prestigious Medalion Fund to a few selected investors, you are one of them, wire us some money, the fees are 5 and 50.” All of the typos in that sentence are intentional. And some people who get the letter miss the typos and think that Renaissance Technologies is opening its prestigious Medallion Fund to them, and they wire you $100 million, and then you have $100 million. You could steal it. Or, much better, you could invest it in a diversified portfolio of stocks and keep 5% of the assets plus 50% of the gains for yourself. Stealing it is a crime; investing it and charging the fees that you agreed to is … I mean … I don’t recommend it, but it’s an interesting idea.

Is it? Is this a thing? We talk sometimes around here about people who put out fake press releases announcing fake mergers, and sometimes the fake buyer is like KRK & Co. or Carlisle Group or Cerebrus or Blackst0ne or whatever, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone intentionally creating a confusing company name to try to solicit investors. Until now! From Leanna Orr’s Allocator newsletter:

In March, the $18.1B asset manager EnTrust Global filed a lawsuit against an alleged copycat firm for using its brand to confuse and scam investors. EnTRust Capital, a Cayman vehicle run by Hong Kong-based firm TR Capital, had been soliciting investment from the “real” EnTrust’s clients since the start of 2022, the filing claims.

Gorgeous. Here is the complaint:

In 2022, a Hong Kong-based entity calling itself “EnTRust Capital” began soliciting investments from EnTrust’s investors. EnTRust Capital describes itself as an investment fund that provides “private equity style investing in public markets”—i.e., the same exact investment business as EnTrust.

In addition to blatantly copying EnTrust’s brand, Defendants1 have also directly solicited EnTrust’s investors. … EnTrust has been contacted by at least 14 investors who have been solicited by Defendants and thought the solicitation was being made by EnTrust. Undoubtedly, many more investors have been confused but have not contacted EnTrust.

Upon information and belief, it is apparent that Defendants are following a common strategy to knock off an American company and deceive U.S. investors. Defendants are using the same exact name to market substantially similar investment products to the same investors. It is currently unknown how many investors may have mistakenly sent money to the sham “EnTRust” run by Defendants.

I hope it’s lots. I hope that EnTRust’s private-equity-style investments in public markets are outperforming EnTrust’s. I hope this really is “a common strategy,” and there are lots of BLackstones and Blackst0nes and Blakcstones and Blåckstones out there.

mondomole
Jun 16, 2023

stuff like this seems tailor made to disrupt your model

This is actually a great example of something that generally works much better with machines than with humans at least for now, and ironically a large part of that is that the machines are too dumb to realize the new terms should be seen as similar to the old ones. GPT may perform worse in this respect.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mondomole posted:

GPT may perform worse in this respect.

yeah, i'm curious since it's not necessarily doing exact matching

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

does anyone have the "biased data > infallible results" flowchart handy? a friend needs it for a presentation

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

yeah, i'm curious since it's not necessarily doing exact matching

i would assume it's not case-sensitive by default. now i kinda wonder if it'd lie about it if you ask it to respect case-sensitiveness, and if so, if tokenization might gently caress that up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

does anyone have the "biased data > infallible results" flowchart handy? a friend needs it for a presentation

On mobile so embedding is a bastard

https://imgur.io/cNMlGWN

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just for kicks, here is it run through ml deartifacting and upscaling ~*artificial intelligence*~

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

thanks folks. I'm going to send them the artifacted version on purpose

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

:hmmyes:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
at least we got some pretty impressive upscalers out of this bubble

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
the depth scale is a nice touch

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol and indeed lomarf

https://twitter.com/brianlongfilms/status/1671423822443212803

it doesn't even look good by current ai standards, this is some a-year-ago poo poo.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it's replicating the 'bad student animation short' style that everyone groans at during department film festivals

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
is that seriously real? goddamn, that looks awful

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
don't worry, it's cheaper than paying a vfx guy so expect every movie that isn't an auteur prestige project to be doing that poo poo in the next five years

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Been working out hella hard, the gains are sick!

https://i.imgur.com/2XLHcmn.mp4

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

NoneMoreNegative posted:

this mf taking creatine

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Wheany posted:

this mf taking creatine

three scoops of protein will do this to ya

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

NoneMoreNegative posted:

three scoops of protein will do this to ya

when you do two ab days back-to-back

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Beeftweeter posted:

at least we got some pretty impressive upscalers out of this bubble

I had a coupon for a print place so went back through my projects folder, found this old magazine pic that amused me:

which I had tidied up somewhat

but when I checked it didn't fit the 60x40 print size / aspect they were offering...

:thunk: drat, extending all those rays is going to be real ballache, maybe I should give the new Photoshop beta with the Generative Outpainting a go to give the pic the extra height it needs to fit the aspect I want..?

:eyepop: You know what? I'll loving take it, that's basically two clicks for each the top and bottom of the image.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEb6wlbRNn0

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I had a coupon for a print place so went back through my projects folder, found this old magazine pic that amused me:

which I had tidied up somewhat

but when I checked it didn't fit the 60x40 print size / aspect they were offering...

:thunk: drat, extending all those rays is going to be real ballache, maybe I should give the new Photoshop beta with the Generative Outpainting a go to give the pic the extra height it needs to fit the aspect I want..?

:eyepop: You know what? I'll loving take it, that's basically two clicks for each the top and bottom of the image.

to be fair, just doing a content-aware fill after centering the image on a resized canvas probably would have had the same result. it's really good at that particular kind of thing since it's mostly straight lines

but yeah, looks good

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Also actually talking about upscalers, the ones for digital arts are insanely good in SD - precisely because they work so well on animes :o:

A small selection from another project; Here's last years Topaz Gigapixel AI Upscaler on the 'Art' setting:

Vs Stable Diffusion using the 'RealESRGAN_x4plus_anime_6B' upscaler:

Now Topaz might have made some big strides with the new version of Gigapixel, but I'm loath to put down the cash to see when SD can give me this for free.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 24, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have the new version of gigapixel. post the original and i can make a comparison?

but yeah that sd one does look excellent.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sagebrush posted:

i have the new version of gigapixel. post the original and i can make a comparison?

but yeah that sd one does look excellent.

I put it on my dropbox

xxx

I ran it through Gigapixel using 60cm height at 300dpi, tried both the 'Lines' and 'Art' modes and I think the Art one was slightly better.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 26, 2023

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also actually talking about upscalers, the ones for digital arts are insanely good in SD - precisely because they work so well on animes :o:

Hey, just wanted to throw this out there, '4x-UltraSharp' works incredibly well on most everything.

https://upscale.wiki/wiki/Model_Database

If you're running AUTOMATIC1111 you can just drop that in /models/ESRGAN then it shows up in the upscaler menu.
:cheers:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I put it on my dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qirvrultwxycqm/space_harrier_sega-kilian-eng-dwdesign.png?dl=0

I ran it through Gigapixel using 60cm height at 300dpi, tried both the 'Lines' and 'Art' modes and I think the Art one was slightly better.

i used gigapixel with the latest "very compressed" model and here is the result, on the left. your SD version on the right.

it's very close. i think the gigapixel version is a little more "true" to the original (if that means anything) while yours goes harder on enhancing the linework and contrast. yours is probably the better direction for this particular piece, yea

amazing what these things can do

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sagebrush posted:

i used gigapixel with the latest "very compressed" model and here is the result, on the left. your SD version on the right.

it's very close. i think the gigapixel version is a little more "true" to the original (if that means anything) while yours goes harder on enhancing the linework and contrast. yours is probably the better direction for this particular piece, yea

amazing what these things can do

Oh yeah the new Gigapixel models are a lot closer to perfect, next time the have a sale / bundle on I'll re-up my license.

I also found this (slightly longwinded) comparison of Upscaling tools and they also settled on Gigapixel as their tool of choice

https://www.midlibrary.io/midguide/upscaling-ai-art-for-printing

Worth spending a coffebreak over, the slider comparisons are usefully set up here.

I like the look of the 'Chainner' tool here for it's node-based approach - even though I am firmly in the linear workflow mentality due to using Photoshop for twenty years, I can see node-based is hugely more flexible if built correctly and you have the time to learn it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
blender has given me node-brain and now i get annoyed whenever i can't like... reuse a mask for different things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

the time to learn it.

there is nothing to learn

other than to forget the old worse ways

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Some cool retro poo poo youtube spat out: