Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sexy Stilt-Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Where's my Big Wheel movie Sony

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
We here at Sony know you've been waiting years to learn the origin of one of Spider-man's greatest foes, coming in 2025: The Wall.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

bentacos posted:

We here at Sony know you've been waiting years to learn the origin of one of Spider-man's greatest foes, coming in 2025: The Wall.

Already been done

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bentacos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6rqQMbVHSI

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

bentacos posted:

Excited to see how deep into the weeds major studios are willing to go. As someone who never kept up with the comics, once you get past the top dozen or so main villains in DC or Marvel poo poo gets real weird real fast.

If it's his day off then why TF did he put the costume on SMDH immersion ruined 0/10 :spidey:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
As a fan of a bad baseball team(Go Twins) I can understand Peter Parker not wanting to show his face at a Mets game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_qToBzKCJo

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Excited to see how deep into the weeds major studios are willing to go. As someone who never kept up with the comics, once you get past the top dozen or so main villains in DC or Marvel poo poo gets real weird real fast.

If it's his day off then why TF did he put the costume on SMDH immersion ruined 0/10 :spidey:

Wasn't that part of a Hostess Fruit pie ad?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First episode of Secret Invasion was boring as poo poo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You must have been watching a different episode than I was

Nice intro/setup episode for the spy thriller we have ahead, establishes the players, and kills off one of the longest established characters in the MCU

But you know

Boring

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it was really boring dude. The fact that by the end I didn’t even care about the spoiled thing is a horrible sign.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
The credits look like they were created by Midjourney.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m pretty sure they were done with AI yeah. And a quick google confirms:

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23767640/ai-mcu-secret-invasion-opening-credits

I’m surprised the script wasn’t written by AI too tbh

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The AI-generated opening titles frankly look like dogshit and everyone who approved them should be embarrassed.

as for Secret Invasion E1 itself: it does feel meaningfully distinct from other MCU projects but not in an entirely successful way. It’s very much trying to be a prestige spy thriller, which mostly translates to a pretty dour and self-serious tone, generically dingy urban settings, and talk of geopolitics. Lousy opening scene too, I can think of a bunch of more interesting ways to introduce the premise than what they went with, even if Martin Freeman absolutely had to be there. It does have potential to pick up now that the setup is out of the way, I guess, so I can always hope for improvement

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's very funny to imagine Gravik making out with someone near the river only to have to run the moment Fury is out of sight so he can then go and play with a ball.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I honestly, didn't like this. Samuel Jackson constantly just gave the energy of a person who's tired, slow and lifeless. And while that might be what they're going for with Nick Fury nowadays, it doesn't make for good television.
Not really a fan of the emotional drama around Gaia (however you spell that.) either.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m pretty sure they were done with AI yeah. And a quick google confirms:

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23767640/ai-mcu-secret-invasion-opening-credits

I’m surprised the script wasn’t written by AI too tbh

That's a really awful way for this industry to go. There's already been way too much content pumped out and forgotten about right away, and the execs see that and think 'we need more, and faster.'

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The use of AI for the credit sequence doesn't feel like it was done as a cost-cutting measure.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It was a stylistic choice. They said as much a while ago.

They actually hired a high-end design firm to make the "AI images," which is honestly even weirder than just using one of the free ones as a cost-cutting measure.

I get what they were going for, but it still seems like a weird choice.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The use of AI for the credit sequence doesn't feel like it was done as a cost-cutting measure.

Of course it was?

You can do a unsettling-morphing credits sequence that doesn't look like poo poo, it just costs money. This one does look like poo poo, but didn't cost money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Pinterest Mom posted:

Of course it was?

You can do a unsettling-morphing credits sequence that doesn't look like poo poo, it just costs money. This one does look like poo poo, but didn't cost money.

It actually cost a lot of money.

They hired Method Studios to design all the supplementary art for the show, including the intro sequence.

https://www.methodstudios.com/en/

It's like a TV intro version of the people who pay millions of dollars for a canvas with a red dot on it from high-end artists as a statement piece.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Goons will bitch about anything.

Title sequence is fine, and looks great for what they're going for - Can't tell Skrulls apart and everything mishmashes and blurs together.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

I honestly, didn't like this. Samuel Jackson constantly just gave the energy of a person who's tired, slow and lifeless. And while that might be what they're going for with Nick Fury nowadays, it doesn't make for good television.

Agreed, but at the same time if that's what it takes to get Sam Jackson on screen as Nick Fury then so be it. If the dude has to sit, then the dude has to sit.

We all don't know what potential poo poo is going on behind the scenes.
Bruce Willis is a good example of it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Infinitum posted:

You must have been watching a different episode than I was

Nice intro/setup episode for the spy thriller we have ahead, establishes the players, and kills off one of the longest established characters in the MCU

But you know

Boring

I admit that I didn't care much about the spoilered thing because this is clearly going to be a situation where "Character X" isn't dead even if you do see the body. I was mostly distracted by the way that Richard Dormer sounded a whole lot like Andy Serkis which immediately got me pumped for Serkis doing more crazy poo poo as Ulysses Klaue but not so much

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah

1 and Done villains is probably one of my bigger complaints about the MCU as a whole.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Technically Andy Serkis was a 2 and done

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Goons will bitch about anything.

Title sequence is fine, and looks great for what they're going for - Can't tell Skrulls apart and everything mishmashes and blurs together.

AI was trained on stolen artwork from around the internet. They could’ve paid talented artists and they could’ve had results that expresses the same idea in a way that doesn’t look like ugly poo poo. It’s not like AI is the only thing that’s able to to mishmash and blur things together.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How do you know anything about the dataset they used to create that title sequence?

Edit: Like it's fine if you don't like AI imagery, because it has been unethical in how the majority of public facing datasets are trained, but you know nothing about how that studio has trained their dataset.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 21, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

"Should we go traditional 'Kraven gets powers from taking magic drugs' route?"
"Don't be stupid. Magic lion blood, obviously"
"Obviously"

How Sony can put out the Spider-verse films, and still gently caress up the Venom-verse/Sinister Six-verse nonsense they're trying to pull off is so headscratching.

Wondering if there's been an added clause that Sony can't use Spider-man outside of MCU films without some form of consent from Marvel Studios.
Cause I don't know why you can't just run 2 live action Spider-man universes at this point with all the multiverse shenanigans that have been introduced.

Sony (and Marvel, frankly) are positive that if there are two Spider-Men in different series, audience's heads will pop like grapes from inability to comprehend the difference. It's why I'm positive that once a live-action Miles Morales is introduced, there will never be another Spider-Verse/other animated Spider-man again.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Infinitum posted:

How do you know anything about the dataset they used to create that title sequence?

Edit: Like it's fine if you don't like AI imagery, because it has been unethical in how the majority of public facing datasets are trained, but you know nothing about how that studio has trained their dataset.

Hahaha, nah, I'm pretty ok jumping to that particular conclusion.

Goons may bitch about lots of cool poo poo, but I can overgeneralize too: goons love dismissing unethical bullshit because it makes products they like.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The credits are made by AI and the opening scene is the cliché paranoid guy (who gave what feels like the worst performance in the entire MCU) going on and on about how you can't trust information anymore. It's thematic.

It felt like a Paramount+ show, which is fitting since it stars a septuagenarian, but I liked it. Colman's a great addition and the Talos family drama is pretty compelling. I'm a big sucker for the cap and glasses stuff though.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 21, 2023

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

I suppose we won’t know until the production company decides to respond to the inquiries to speak about their methods.

Regardless, as far as I’m concerned there’s no such thing as an ethical dataset. If you’re getting a program to create new art out of previously commissioned work, you’re essentially finding a way to endlessly profit off creatives without ever needing to hire or make use of their skills again.

Why not train it off hundreds of thousands of their own comic artworks and create new ones to sell to the public? They’d apparently be in the right to, but I’d equally reject such things.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ADAB (All Datasets Are Bastards)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Infinitum posted:

Bruce Willis is a good example of it.

People exploited Bruce Willis’s mental degradation to make lovely clickbait movies

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's pretty clear what they're going for with the title sequence but man, I'm not a fan of this

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
It's not even particularly original. I don't know specifically how they made this sequence but it basically looks like the well-known Deformer extension for Stable Diffusion that can automatically create a series of images to create an animation.

Samples of the different types of transforms it can do without much configuration:

https://deforum.github.io/mov/2D/2D_Angle.mp4

https://deforum.github.io/mov/2D/2D_X.mp4

Unless they had no idea what they were doing, it is pretty easy and cheap to make this, far cheaper than having actual artists work on it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
That was an incredibly boring 50 minutes of TV and I didn't care about any of it. Bunch of cliche spycraft nonsense that felt like it came from a 22 episode procedural from the 1990s.

I spent most of the runtime reading because I tuned out very early on. It's so poorly made. There were 3 separate jarring editing errors where shots didn't line up in the first 30 minutes. Really sloppy shot continuity. I can forgive lovely CGI because that stuff is expensive and difficult, but making the edits line up right is basic filmmaking that we got a handle on decades ago, come the gently caress on.

"It was very long and nothing happened" is not a good start to a show, and I'm usually all in on the hat movie stuff.

"Moscow" looked like absolute poo poo and will fool no-one.

Eh, I'll still watch this garbage.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

"It was very long and nothing happened" is not a good start to a show

An 11 year character died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
How to do a false flag attack to instigate a war between Russia and the US, 20 years ago edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT-xXoIAAnM

Parkingtigers posted:

I spent most of the runtime reading because I tuned out very early on. It's so poorly made. There were 3 separate jarring editing errors where shots didn't line up in the first 30 minutes. Really sloppy shot continuity. I can forgive lovely CGI because that stuff is expensive and difficult, but making the edits line up right is basic filmmaking that we got a handle on decades ago, come the gently caress on.

The scene with the mom and girl in the street with Fury was especially egregious.