Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySlippers posted:

Reading that politico article from a while back had me thinking, how effective is the American nuclear trinity still anyway? I remember back in the oughts there was some chatter that America's silos were falling apart and relied on ancient, outdated technology so they pledged billions to update it, but I could see that being pure grift that never got out of the planning stages. What planes can even deliver nukes anymore? Presumably the subs are still fine when they aren't crashing into poo poo.

Not that nuclear weapons need to work to accomplish their primary function, but there's hope that the world could be saved from an American freak out over losing a war when it turned out their 50-year-old silos don't actually work anymore.

We forgot how to make fogbank because we didn't write it down because secrecy, then we just ignored this until everyone involved forgot / died and we had to spend years and tons of money to figure out how to make it again.

America will win WW3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PopSci/status/1669734565118636038

"My 42-ton combat vehicle is technically not a tank."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And don't you DARE call it a light tank either

Cause it isn't light! Or a tank!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Slavvy posted:

And don't you DARE call it a light tank either

Cause it isn't light! Or a tank!

me consolating myself that im not in a tank as a lancet melts my face unlike that time i melted my face from a lancet in a leopard 2a6

Palladium has issued a correction as of 08:58 on Jun 21, 2023

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

celadon posted:

when i first heard about self propelled guns the mental image i got was the artillery firing backward to push itself forward which probably isnt true but is fun to visualize

The PLA (Combat Evolved) development of Spartan IIs and Scorpion tanks is top secret, comrade. Please employ better OPSEC.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

France’s new not-tank is weird too, and seemingly only exists to give a contract to that telescoped ammo company France a d Germany funded for 40 years

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Homer, what did you do?!?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/PopSci/status/1669734565118636038

"My 42-ton combat vehicle is technically not a tank."

The vehicle, with a heavy gun and tank-like mobility, is less armored than a main battle tank like an M1 Abrams. It’s designed to go places the Abrams cannot, and to fight against enemy vehicles, defenses, and forces without needing the ultra heavy armor that bulk up battle tanks.

its barely lighter than a base abrams lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
19-20 tons lighter is quite a bit lighter. Still seems like a light tank. And if the point is shooting at lighter vehicles and emplacements in support of infantry while surviving shrapnel and small arms, that’s what the M3 Stuart was all about!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think I like the angled smoke launchers, are they usually supposed to be like that?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Lostconfused posted:

I think I like the angled smoke launchers, are they usually supposed to be like that?

Usually yeah

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

19-20 tons lighter is quite a bit lighter.

yeah this. logistically one can put that on a superheavy 40’ FR. where an Abrams would have to go RO-RO or break bulk.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

This looks like it would vaporize instantly at the first sign of combat, it looks like a really overwrought Lego model you can barely pick up without stuff braking off

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

This looks like it would vaporize instantly at the first sign of combat, it looks like a really overwrought Lego model you can barely pick up without stuff braking off

Well just put a sign on it in 50 languages that says I'm not a tank, please don't shoot me

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
It looks like it will acquire sentience and go on wacky adventures if struck by lightning.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Slavvy posted:

It's just for killing defenseless people in colonial wars. all the arms are like anti-ied things, gunshot detector, etc and the main cannon is 40mm so that's just for killing people with light arms or blowing up a hilux with a mounted gun

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

France’s new not-tank is weird too, and seemingly only exists to give a contract to that telescoped ammo company France a d Germany funded for 40 years

ceci n'est pas un tank

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
In case anyone doesn't read the good news thread

The CEO of Raytheon says they can't decouple from China.

https://www.ft.com/content/d0b94966-d6fa-4042-a918-37e71eb7282e

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I thought this was the good news thread

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I’m sure China will be happy to send us weapon parts while we’re in a shooting war with them. after all, it’s the rational capitalist thing to do and they’d be leaving money on the table if they didn’t

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Clark Nova posted:

I’m sure China will be happy to send us weapon parts while we’re in a shooting war with them. after all, it’s the rational capitalist thing to do and they’d be leaving money on the table if they didn’t

I'm sure if I pressed someone who works in that area, that is literally what they believe. There was a very influential book in Ottawa that was published a few years ago about how economic policy makes all forms of warfare, conventional or nuclear, obsolete.

Economics and Modern Warfare: The Invisible Fist of the Market

"If a thing has a system, then it can be systematically exploited. If there is effect, then causation can be engineered. If there is behavior, then influence can be applied. If one can see the puppet strings, then one can learn to pull them regardless of which side of them you’re on. Accept nothing. Fear less than nothing. There is rationality in all things. Even that which is irrational can be identified and measured for the degree to which it deviates from rationality. With no fear there is no need for bravery. Problem solving is the finest crusade; knowledge the only weapon necessary. Economics is unique in that, without exception, every action that any person takes will influence the external environment. Economists seek to identify, measure, and, when proper, control those influences. That is the heart of economic combat."

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Jun 23, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm sure if I pressed someone who works in that area, that is literally what they believe. There was a very influential book in Ottawa that was published a few years ago about how economic policy makes all forms of warfare, conventional or nuclear, obsolete.

i don't want to be rude or anything, but i feel like circa 1910 isn't "a few years ago" anymore

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

i don't want to be rude or anything, but i feel like circa 1910 isn't "a few years ago" anymore

"Later on, during World War I, finding themselves this time in a posi- tion of having to circumvent a blockade enforced by German U-boats (i.e., submarines), Britain began using civilian transit vessels to ship arms, in addition to the intended civilians. This brazen action allowed them to move through the blockade without even hiding the fact that arms were being included (shells and ammunition were listed on the shipping man- ifests) as a great amount of political pressure was placed on the German military, forcing them to keep from firing openly on shiploads of civil- ians. Despite Britain being a rather easy region to manage in a blockade, given the relatively small size of usable coastline of this island, the British were able to discover a way to defeat what was otherwise a very well- developed blockade, reducing the significance of the strategy as a whole even in optimal conditions. Eventually, this did lead to the sinking of the RMS Lusitania, killing a number of neutral civilians, but the strategy was successful for a majority of its duration, and the global public backlash against Germany led to the eventual withdrawal of all U-boats from the region creating an extremely important opening in the blockade."

"Blockades, while more harmful than embargoes given that they attempt to stop a nation from trading with any other nation rather than ending trade with only the issuing nation, still do little in the way of properly targeting a nation’s military which means they have little strategic value on their own. If not at least supplemented by fortuitous circumstances in which a target nation will rely on a single route for sup- plies such as food (as seen with the First Anglo-Dutch War), one must at least properly anticipate and manage the targeted nation’s reaction to the blockade, which will be discussed in later chapters."

Smuggling arms on the Lusitania was good, actually.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China basically hasn't imposed counter sanctions on US business so far, but it doesn't mean it won't happen.

Recently Beijing imposed "security reason" sanction on Micron, a memory maker. Since the US government treats semiconductor industry as part of the military industry, it will be treated that way by Beijing eventually, and the market will be decoupled.

Same thing for rear earth. I think Beijing know there are many ways to use third partirs to get around the sanction, thats why there hasn't been any rear earth sanction against US. Unlike the West who treat oil sanction some kind of million bux idea.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

China basically hasn't imposed counter sanctions on US business so far, but it doesn't mean it won't happen.

For now Beijing imposed sanctions on Micron, a memory maker. Since the US government treats semiconductor industry as part of the military industry, it will be treated that way by Beijing eventually, and the market will be decoupled.

Same thing for rear earth. I think Beijing know there are many ways to use third partirs to get around the sanction, thats why there hasn't been any rear earth sanction against US. Unlike the West who treat oil sanction some kind of million bux idea.

Micron also lobbied heavily to get several Chinese companies put on the sanction list, I’ll let yo guess if they were directly competitors with Micron or not.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

Economics and Modern Warfare: The Invisible Fist of the Market
This guy the author?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Micron also lobbied heavily to get several Chinese companies put on the sanction list, I’ll let yo guess if they were directly competitors with Micron or not.

Its still a good hustle for Micron. Because pushing your business sector into MIC has the potential of setting up for life.

Of course until the next administration thinks buying memory chips from Samsung is good enough then you are hosed.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Xpforr posted:

This guy the author?

Yes.

A Note from the Author on the Second Edition

The 1st edition of this book was written in 2011, and it was the first book I had ever written. Since that time, many things have happened. World events have taken a turn in which there has been a dramatic increase in the concern for, and application of, economics in combat situations. Many of these things offer a more modern look at the principles described throughout the 1st edition, while others offer clearer, less abstract examples of concepts which may, on their surface, seemed to be difficult to believe as having truly useful benefits. There are even brand new types of economic tactics being used today, offering us an opportunity for a wholly new chapter.

It is not just the world that is new, either. Since the 1st edition of this book, I have been published many more times, and my writing has matured, primarily due to my improved understanding of what makes a good book. Despite the popularity of this book, still distributing roughly 3500 copies per year even 5 years after it was originally written, I consider this my 2nd worst book in terms of style (the worst being Analytics and Modern Warfare). So, while the purpose and structure of this 2nd edition will remain wholly true to the original, you will note that there are many changes to the book which incorporate clearer descriptions, better examples, and subtle improvements to the style of writing used.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Xpforr posted:

This guy the author?

im gonna be honest, this may be one of the most reasonable and sensible things ive ever seen an 'economist' publish (it is a low bar, tho)

this reads like a william gibson character's soliloquy:

Frosted Flake posted:

"If a thing has a system, then it can be systematically exploited. If there is effect, then causation can be engineered. If there is behavior, then influence can be applied. If one can see the puppet strings, then one can learn to pull them regardless of which side of them you’re on. Accept nothing. Fear less than nothing. There is rationality in all things. Even that which is irrational can be identified and measured for the degree to which it deviates from rationality. With no fear there is no need for bravery. Problem solving is the finest crusade; knowledge the only weapon necessary.
and im like gently caress ya! im reading and hollering and hooting and fist pumping and then it continues to this:

Frosted Flake posted:

Economics is unique in that, without exception, every action that any person takes will influence the external environment. Economists seek to identify, measure, and, when proper, control those influences. That is the heart of economic combat."
and im like gently caress, what the gently caress is this poo poo

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Frosted Flake posted:

"If a thing has a system, then it can be systematically exploited. If there is effect, then causation can be engineered. If there is behavior, then influence can be applied. If one can see the puppet strings, then one can learn to pull them regardless of which side of them you’re on. Accept nothing. Fear less than nothing. There is rationality in all things. Even that which is irrational can be identified and measured for the degree to which it deviates from rationality. With no fear there is no need for bravery. Problem solving is the finest crusade; knowledge the only weapon necessary. Economics is unique in that, without exception, every action that any person takes will influence the external environment. Economists seek to identify, measure, and, when proper, control those influences. That is the heart of economic combat."

this reads like the villain speech before the boss battle of a jrpg

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!
no it doesnt

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

poisonpill posted:

this reads like the villain speech before the boss battle of a jrpg

hmm...

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

he was the second hero of the game

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

China doesn’t need to impose sanctions. There are all sorts of “non sanction barriers” to trade they use. The Russians used to do that too but they each go about it in different ways. The cheese stuff from years back is a good way to think about the Russian way. that eventually turned into actual sanctions and a ban though.

The Chinese way is more interesting, they’ll put the non sanction barriers up on the back end. I remember having to physically mail a report and pay duty on the invoice value for the report before payment could be issued. This was an internal invoice too, China subsidiary paying US subsidiary of the larger multinational corporation. Meanwhile the Chinese state owned client I invoiced didn’t have to do any of it.

The state owned companies will also just pay out Chinese invoices or claims much faster. edit that’s an all the time thing though.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I thought this was the good news thread

War is bad. A wise man recently said "the most important thing is economic development". That's the why the Asia thread is good news.

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

Delta-Wye posted:

im gonna be honest, this may be one of the most reasonable and sensible things ive ever seen an 'economist' publish (it is a low bar, tho)

Xpforr has issued a correction as of 18:27 on Jun 24, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Delta-Wye posted:

and im like gently caress, what the gently caress is this poo poo

me as i count non-productive number sloshing as productive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013