Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

They mention that the performance mode situation is still quite bad, though, which is a shame.

Seems like the similar thing with Jedi Survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Digital foundry review has an extremely funny skit in the middle that FFXIV fans will enjoy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

They mention that the performance mode situation is still quite bad, though, which is a shame.

Digital Foundry though can be kinda harsh sometimes. A 1fps dip will cause them to completely dismiss a game. This doesn't seem to be anywhere near as bad as Jedi Survivor, based on the demo.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Danger posted:

You can, it just takes some planning. You need an NZ PlayStation account, some usable NZ address, and buy NZ digital gift cards from somewhere. I live in the Midwest and have been playing since 7am.
You can even then just play it on your main account since all accounts share games on a system.

Yeah that's great but I'm used to the MS method of not giving a poo poo and letting me do it whenever.

Thanks for the info though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I think it's valid to find them pretty basic because they are. You do them if you want to see more of the world and characters. (Likewise if you skip them I can see thinking some stuff falls by the wayside because a *lot* of the classism/racism stuff is tackled more in-depth there.)

When you say basic is it like the FF7 Remake a bit where the sidequests generally consist of walking around the environment, getting a bit of dialogue, sometimes killing some stuff? Cause I think I'm fine with that, it's just good to get general expectations set.

I suppose that is describing sidequests in most games ultimately, I guess I mean, they won't take you to bespoke new content or sections of the game you otherwise wouldn't see, for example?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

i'm just gonna wait until the game launches tonight in my time zone. Its whatever.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I don’t give a poo poo about playing it immediately, I’ll probably play it after work on Thursday or Friday when I’m nice and relaxed and well rested

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Talking poo poo with my brother about playing this game at midnight but I have a kid now, so that's not happening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

When you say basic is it like the FF7 Remake a bit where the sidequests generally consist of walking around the environment, getting a bit of dialogue, sometimes killing some stuff? Cause I think I'm fine with that, it's just good to get general expectations set.

I suppose that is describing sidequests in most games ultimately, I guess I mean, they won't take you to bespoke new content or sections of the game you otherwise wouldn't see, for example?

Yes. Most of the sidequests are structured with "walk around, talk to people, usually have some kind of fight involved." There are some which are a bit more involved but not usually much more so.

That said the *amount* of plot in each sidequest varies heavily. Some are mostly just light worldbuilding, others contain the entire climax of side character's story arcs.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I did most of the side quests in XV and loved it so I expect me to love the ones in XVI as well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Digital Foundry though can be kinda harsh sometimes. A 1fps dip will cause them to completely dismiss a game. This doesn't seem to be anywhere near as bad as Jedi Survivor, based on the demo.

Nah, they mention performance mode rarely hitting 60fps and frequently dipping into the 40s, despite significant cuts to internal resolution.

It's not a huge deal since the combat is kept at 60, though it's still a shame. I don't think it'll be fixed as quickly as Jedi Survivor was either, since it sounds like they're already doing a bunch of tricks just to pull off 60fps in combat.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. Most of the sidequests are structured with "walk around, talk to people, usually have some kind of fight involved." There are some which are a bit more involved but not usually much more so.

That said the *amount* of plot in each sidequest varies heavily. Some are mostly just light worldbuilding, others contain the entire climax of side character's story arcs.

It feels like from a developer perspective its really hard to do side content in an RPG. How do you do something that is more than just fetch / kill quests and make them all meaningful? its a ton of extra work if you want complex side quests, especially for a modern day AAA RPG.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Nah, they mention performance mode rarely hitting 60fps and frequently dipping into the 40s, despite significant cuts to internal resolution.

It's not a huge deal since the combat is kept at 60, though it's still a shame. I don't think it'll be fixed as quickly as Jedi Survivor was either, since it sounds like they're already doing a bunch of tricks just to pull off 60fps in combat.

Okay that is fair. I know Square said they mentioned performance updates are coming, so hopefully it gets better. But like Jedi Survivor, i'll end up finishing all of the game by the time those updates come out lol.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It feels like from a developer perspective its really hard to do side content in an RPG. How do you do something that is more than just fetch / kill quests and make them all meaningful? its a ton of extra work if you want complex side quests, especially for a modern day AAA RPG.

The obvious answer: create a collectable card game everyone plays.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I think it's valid to find them pretty basic because they are. You do them if you want to see more of the world and characters. (Likewise if you skip them I can see thinking some stuff falls by the wayside because a *lot* of the classism/racism stuff is tackled more in-depth there.)

I haven't played the demo yet so I'm not sure if there are side quests in early section but are side quests all voice acted?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Would you say they're similar to FF14 side quests in this regard? Where most are trivial, but each area will have a few significant ones?

I like the minor world-building stuff from them and generally have high tolerance for that sort of thing (especially if the act of killing mobs is more enjoyable due to the action combat), so I probably won't mind (as long as there are some deeper optional quests).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I haven't played the demo yet so I'm not sure if there are side quests in early section but are side quests all voice acted?

Yes. The only thing in the game that isn't voice acted is the Moogle, and that is because they do the FFXIV thing of "Moogles are actually weird and not everyone can see them, nor understand their language."

Ytlaya posted:

Would you say they're similar to FF14 side quests in this regard? Where most are trivial, but each area will have a few significant ones?

I like the minor world-building stuff from them and generally have high tolerance for that sort of thing (especially if the act of killing mobs is more enjoyable due to the action combat), so I probably won't mind (as long as there are some deeper optional quests).

A bit more weighted towards significant ones since there are fewer overall sidequests but yeah. Often (but not always) a sidequest is tied in some way to a side character who is the face for one of the game's towns or someone who hangs out at your hideaway.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I said come in! posted:

I was thinking about that on my commute today. There is a constant complaint about side quests but like - what do people want from side quests?

Even games like the Witcher 3, which has a ton of side quests, can be reduced down to 90% of the side quests being "run over here. kill this thing. okay come back."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The obvious answer: create a collectable card game everyone plays.

god yes, bring back the FF8 one.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Talking poo poo with my brother about playing this game at midnight but I have a kid now, so that's not happening.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is every quest in XVI like that though, I saw something about the game having like 100 sq's, I figure a majority are fetch quests but I figure a couple are more in-depth.

lmfao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There are places where you're legally allowed to just leave your child and walk away, the state will take care of them from there.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034447

Also, just because I know some insane person is going to rush through the game in a day without sleep, reposting the spoiler thread link now.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

I was thinking about that on my commute today. There is a constant complaint about side quests but like - what do people want from side quests?

Even games like the Witcher 3, which has a ton of side quests, can be reduced down to 90% of the side quests being "run over here. kill this thing. okay come back."

You’re right that it’s a hard problem to design innovative optional content for games - but that’s the designers’ job! Just because you or I are struggling to come up with good side content doesn’t mean it’s impossible.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The first side quests you get are literally running food in a restaurant and delivering some lumber across a street.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Danger posted:

The first side quests you get are literally running food in a restaurant and delivering some lumber across a street.

Hell yeah

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Danger posted:

lol so there isn't actually a problem with the side quests then.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I hate when sidequests are tasks to be completed. Do better, FFXVI.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
There’s a ton of cutscenes but honestly some are a joy to watch. They’ve really upgraded their art direction for these and the voice acting is great.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Danger posted:

There’s a ton of cutscenes but honestly some are a joy to watch. They’ve really upgraded their art direction for these and the voice acting is great.

Just judging by trailers and the demo, I'd pat to hear Ralph Ineson read a phone book.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The big thing for me is Square didn't cut any corners this time. FF15 was filled with cut corners and the production quality was just really low in a lot of places. That isn't the case at all for FF16.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Danger posted:

goty

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

Just judging by trailers and the demo, I'd pat to hear Ralph Ineson read a phone book.

Is he Cid? He is a standout by far.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The big thing for me is Square didn't cut any corners this time. FF15 was filled with cut corners and the production quality was just really low in a lot of places. That isn't the case at all for FF16.

Helps to not have Nomura working on it. Keep him to KH4 and 7r.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Danger posted:

Is he Cid? He is a standout by far.

He is, yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

He is, yes

Cid 16 is my favorite Final Fantasy Cid

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Cid 16 is my favorite Final Fantasy Cid

His voice work in the demo alone was incredible so I'm excited for more

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

It would be fitting if FF7 cid gets dethroned for me by a cid who's allowed to drop real f bombs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Just finished Diablo 4 and Ineson is all over that so I’m having a gravelly voiced mentor summer